[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1023 KB, 150x188, tumblr_n6o55yd0qQ1t4o62mo1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5721718 No.5721718[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

First excuse my bad English. I like eating healthy. I started doing this because I was fat at age 16 (23 now) and I am happy with what I have achieved. I stopped drinking cola and stuff like that at 12, I don't smoke or drink alcohol/caffeine all my life...altough I had a period from age 21-23 that I smoked weed with a little bit tobacco (but I quit that this year) and I don't eat stuff like MacDonalds except for the occasional MacDonalds Milkshake or KFC when I see my mom once half a year and I know she loves it haha. I eat nuts, lean meat, fish, lots of fruits, veggies, skimmed quark etc. You get it.

I want to go further though with what I eat and how I live. I don't want to become a vegetarian or vegan but I want to eat food that is also good for the environment, animals and people in other countries.

An example is Tony's Chocolonely. A Dutch brand. I don't eat much candy or sweets but I love chocolate, I like raw chocolate or just dark chocolate, just love it. And Tony's chocolate are slave free. Actually, buying this chocolate has made me want to go further. When I buy chicken or eggs, I want to know for sure the animals have lived a good life. But I also want to know how my clothes are made, so without slaves or child labor. Same for buying food. I have many ecological and biological stores here, I live next to one, but does that assure me it is 100% good for the animals and people? Or for the environment. I just want to know what I can do to live healthy but also how I can know that the food and clothes I buy have come from good places without child labor/slaves/hurt animals. I really don't know where to start.. how can I know for sure that what I buy are made without abuse of animals? What if that product was made by hurting the environment only? Or just slaves without animals hurting? I don't want any of that. And what about the android tablet I use? I don't want to give up that hmm. I want to do more research and I wonder if more people understand me?

>> No.5721719
File: 2.00 MB, 400x332, 1402465481459.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another example; I love Nutella but I don't buy it, when I go to my mom and sister's house I eat it there. I will have to give that up too if it was made with the things I mentioned (bad for environment etc). So I will have to find a replacement. How do I know for sure it is fair trade? It isn't made by use and abuse of animals or people or the environment?

I also want to eat good biological food without pesticides or hormones, I have a biological store here but it is a Dutch supermarket branch called EkoPlaza and I wonder if it is REALLY biological. If I had a garden I would grow my own veggies but I live in a small student house. And I can't grow bananas here with the weather. But I really want good bananas, biological, slavefree aaaah. I wonder if I want too much..

>> No.5721723

Too long; didn't read

>> No.5721732

>>5721718
sounds like you got some research to do on everything you consume and wear
>implying all companies come out with their business practces to the public

>> No.5721744

>>5721732
Yes your are totally right! I am doing this already. I think vegan sites are a good start altough I am not vegan or vegetarian. For meat and clothes I should look up brands. And for veggies and fruits...? Go to local farmers? I have the money for this fortunately, my money doesn't go to alcohol or cigarettes or to expensive hobbies I just have to know where to look for what I want.

>> No.5721752

I think you're going to have a much harder time finding humanely made clothes than humanely made food.

Almost all clothing is made in sweat shops.

>> No.5721769

>>5721752
I found a few websites so it is not impossible :)

>> No.5721789

>>5721752
>Almost all clothing is made in sweat shops.

Maybe if you can only afford H&M and Old Navy. My shirt is the only thing I'm wearing that was possibly made in a sweatshop. My jeans were made by bearded hipsters in San Francisco out of denim made by fat rednecks in North Carolina. My shoes were made in Wisconsin out of leather made in Chicago.

>> No.5722230

Try GoodGuide's website.

And be prepared to spend more money, particularly when it comes to clothes. And be prepared to always look suave since you won't be wearing cheap, wrinkly clothes anymore.