[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 237 KB, 640x366, apples-to-apples.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5720953 No.5720953[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are some foods that are noticeably better when organic?

Starting with an obvious one.

>> No.5721097

>>5720953
mangos too.

UNLESS: you have a store like publix which often seems to have a pathetic organic fruit section where everything is bruised and nasty.
I don't know what their problem is.

>> No.5721105

>tfw non-Washingtonfags will never know what a good apple tastes like

What's that feel like?

>> No.5721125

>>5721105

Right, new zealand still has the best.

>> No.5721130

>>5721125
New Zealand isn't even real, stop spreading your Hobbit lies.

>> No.5721133

>>5721105
I always think New York when I think of apples

>> No.5721136
File: 170 KB, 1600x899, red_fruits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tomatos

i cant speak for organic markets, but my dad occasionally gardens as a hobby. he was growing some in our backyard, and holy shit these things were awesome. so much fucking flavor. you could eat it just by itself, maybe some salt.

when we had burgers, i would pack that shit with my dad's tomatos.

maybe i should find some land to start my own garden...

>> No.5721137

>>5721133
I always think of pissed off people and minorities when I think of New York.

>> No.5721161

>>5721133
once you get out of the city, it's all apples and hillbillies (called appleknockers) anyway.

>> No.5721162

>>5721136
This could be the variety more than the fact that they are organic.

The taste problem with the vast majority of grocery store vegetables/fruits is that they sell only the varieties with the highest volume yields (often GMO varieties). There are literally dozens of varieties of almost every subset of fruit or vegetable that are almost entirely unknown because they are never commercialized.

Also, small farms/gardens will often have a better balance of nutrients for plants to grow with because they are not heavily overfarmed and fertilized (fertilizer is an imperfect solution to a complex problem), and they are typically harvested at their peak, rather than commercial products which are almost all harvested way before ripe.

>> No.5721176
File: 1.10 MB, 854x570, rewfds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

organic corn is soooo good

>> No.5721178

>>5720953
Those just look like different varieties of apples though.

>> No.5721194

Milk

>> No.5721213

Eggs

>> No.5721237

a lot of the organic produce I buy at the farmers market is much better than what I get from supermarkets, but the organic stuff from supermarkets isn't really any better than the non-organic stuff

in my experience it has seemed like the biggest influence is in the quality of the production, whatever that entails since I don't know shit about farming, and not necessarily whether or not it's organic

>> No.5721243
File: 17 KB, 428x336, 38579070IQX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

crickets...um I have a pear tree that yields much, even the bugs don't like it.. Organic is such a loose term. no farmer will use more than hs has to. and some of the "organic" stuff is worse. Ild much rather have an apple sprayed with malathion once than one spayed repeatedly with "natural soap based pyreterones". a pre loaded question, and not bait, but real I am very blessed, I get to grow some of my own vegtables and the only 'cide of any find might be from me batalling carpenter bees.like any thing cavet emptor. (look at meee, i speak latin, kinda) but of op's andnot opeis,ron howard i like chicken,but thigh or leg meat breast for nuggers.usda reqiuires all birds to be antibiotic free.. . be not a dweeb i like chicken, but thighs and leggs(spelt wongly) do the best you can. I hate or hydate mushy apples so neither.a few years ago was so broke,and so luking fucky...don't sweat the small stuff. be nice

>> No.5721265

Some obscure varieties of potato that are hard to find in their conventional form are good.

I don't think its anything to do with being organic, its just that big supermarket chains selectively breed their crop to be more abundant and look nice and pretty on a shelf but in reality the ugly old apple tree down the back of farmer bob's padock yields a fruit with superior flavours and it has been lost in today's modern world.

>> No.5721267

Lentils

>> No.5721746

>>5721162
ANYTHING just to be able to say organic isn't the reason you say? no thanks shill.

>> No.5721748

>>5721237
>but the organic stuff from supermarkets isn't really any better than the non-organic stuff

shills gonna shill

>> No.5721755

>>5721265
>I don't think its anything to do with being organic,

shilly wonka and the trollcolate factory

>> No.5721758

>>5720953
[citation needed] the thread

>> No.5721774

The only properly organic things I've eaten that have tasted remarkably better is stuff out of my family's gardens and I have always thought that they tasted better because the garden patches had been lovingly tended, not just because they were organic.

All my fond memories of my family are about food from the gardens.

>> No.5721783

>>5720953
>What are some foods that are noticeably better when organic?
>implying pesticide has "flavor"
Dude, pesticide is what preserves quality through the growing cycle. Nothing else, nothing more.

If you want flavor, you want something picked at peak of ripeness, if it matters to that fruit/vegetable. You want a heirloom chosen for flavor, not for color or durability of the skin thickness, etc. You want food that is as close to farm to table as possible. Traveling a short distance in time, so it's like freshly picked, or dipped in wax to prevent degradation or further ripening.

That's it dude. In the case of apples, organic is suggested since the peel is edible. In the case of celery, there isn't an easy way to wash off pesticide because it's so permeable in flesh. This is why there are "dirty lists" for which foods to get organic. It's nothing to do with flavor or enjoyment, just worries about cancer.

>> No.5721787

>>5721097
>UNLESS: you have a store like publix which often seems to have a pathetic organic fruit section where everything is bruised and nasty.
>I don't know what their problem is.
Low turnover. That's why. The shit is simply spoiled because they aren't refilling it daily like they are the areas where masses of people empty out the section several times a day. It's old.

>> No.5721788

Noob here, what is the difference between those apples? I always buy Jonagold from the supermarket and it looks like the right one. I want to eat healthy and shit, but I still don't know a lot.

>> No.5721790

Semen for the ladies, they appreciate it when we make it organic for them.

>> No.5721794

>>5720953
Another factor in quality of the organic in your own market may be that the organic farms for such and such are much much farther transport than the bigger company closer doing the non-organic version. Does your lettuce come from clear across the country? Or is it from 2 hours away? Your store might want a comprehensive organic section, to look like they care, but instead, they should probably eliminate half of that choice because it's just not feasible to always get it fresh until local farmers pick up the slack in the supply at a decent price.

>> No.5721899

>>5721105
>tfw people who have never lived in Japan will never know what good fruit tastes like

Yea all the fruit here is expensive as balls but its much better than anything I ever had anywhere in the US

>> No.5721907

>>5721162
>This could be the variety more than the fact that they are organic.
True, but the varieties typically chosen by non-organic suppliers are the long shelf-life, low-flavour ones

>> No.5721952
File: 182 KB, 780x761, happy-chicken.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5721974

Eggs. The ones from my parents farm taste so much better than store-bought ones, namely the yolks are much more vibrant and strong-tasting.

Actually, given that the chickens are feed food-scraps and my parents aren't organic freaks, I guess the eggs wouldn't count as legit organic. But fuck it, they're close enough and definitely tasty enough.

>> No.5722036

>>5721097
>mangos too.
Mangoes are best when they fall from the tree naturally. At which point you have a 15 minute window before the insects arrive to devour it.

Never will a mango be properly delicious if picked before it was ripe.

>> No.5722052

>>5720953
>What are some foods that are noticeably better when organic?

There aren't any. At least in my experience. In my area the apples, lemons, limes, and celery are usually better when organic, but not always. I think it's silly to pay attention to the label, examine the product instead: smell, texture, appearance, etc.

>> No.5722061

>>5721974

That's not organic talking, that's free range and good diet. I've had "organic" eggs which were no different than the normal crap battery-cage eggs.

>> No.5722080

>>5721105
Upstate NY has the best apples, sorry.

>> No.5722086

>>5722061
Yeah, makes sense. I'll keep that in mind about store-bought organic eggs though, no need to waste money if they're no good.

After thinking on it a while I think organic tomatoes in general are better than average supermarket ones. But I wouldn't rule out other factors, like the farmers-market kind being a different variety, or getting less water and thus tasting more intense.

Honestly I think it's less organics and more just overall quality. Like in the OP image, mass-grown apple varieties were selected primarily for their appearance, resistance to disease and bountiful crop, whereas the less photogenic apple next to it was probably just bred to be tasty above all else. I don't think adding non-organic fertilizer would negatively impact the crop, but artificially selecting it to be more profitable like the first apple variety probably would.

>> No.5722090

>>5722061
Yeah, makes sense. I'll keep that in mind about store-bought organic eggs though, no need to waste money if they're no good.

After thinking on it a while I think organic tomatoes in general are better than average supermarket ones. But I wouldn't rule out other factors, like the farmers-market kind being a different variety, or getting less water and thus tasting more intense.

Honestly I think it's less organics and more just overall quality vs quantity. Like in the OP image, mass-grown apple varieties were selected primarily for their appearance, resistance to disease and bountiful crop, whereas the less photogenic apple next to it was probably just bred to be tasty above all else. I don't think adding non-organic fertilizer would negatively impact the apples taste, but artificially selecting it to be more profitable like the first apple variety probably would.

>> No.5722657

>>5721746
What? What is he shilling for exactly? It certainly isn't mass-produced GMO veggies, because he's saying there are other varieties that are more flavorful. Nor is he shilling for organic bullshit, as you observed. Sounds like he's "shilling" for people to grow their own wide variety of vegetables and fruits, while you're shilling for overpriced fucking bullshit

>> No.5722889

There are people on /ck/ right now who buy food labeled organic from supermarkets instead of from a farmers' market.

Pathetic.