[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.99 MB, 3264x1836, 20140727_195215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5640608 No.5640608[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So /ck/ I am growing hot peppers this year, I grew superhots last year and couldn't eat any of them so I toned it down this year. I have 4 banana pepper plants, 2 pepperoncini plants, 1 mini bell, 1 big bertha green bell plant, 1 Fushimi pepper plant and 2 Italian long hot pepper plants. Here is a small haul from today, I only got about half of the pepperoncinis I still have a shit load left on two plants. I have a SHIT TON of banana peppers I need to pick as well as the mini bells, but this was all I plucked for today, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with them all.

What are you growing? post pics.

>> No.5640627

jalapenos and Tabascos

>> No.5640637

>>5640608
Habeneros. Getting fucked by pests at the moment though. I've been trying to catch spiders in my house and put them in my garden lol.

>> No.5640667

>>5640637
what kind of pests? I have to be careful when I cut my peppers off cause apparently my plants are the preying mantis inn. It seems I have a preying mantis on almost every plant, they're still babys though, maybe 2-3 inches long.

Most I've had to deal with so far is gnats, I did catch a caterpillar and sent him to the great beyond, been lucky with aphids and other shit like that.

try some sevendust

>> No.5640668

I just bought a house so haven't grown anything yet this year.

OP, for future reference, boil some water, blanch your green chilies, shock them in ice water, dry them, slice them in half lengthways and place them in a bowl in your fridge.
Toss them about every day or so, but never take them out of the fridge.
Do this over the course of several weeks and they'll slowly but surely dry out. When they're dry, wrinkly and hard, put them into the blender and blitz them into powder.
Congratulations!
You've got green chili powder!

You can control the heat more easily by just altering the amount of powder you're using in any given dish. This way, you don't have to worry that the chilies will go bad if you only use a bit of a single pepper per dish.

You have to blanch them first otherwise they'll turn red as they dry. You can dry them at room temperature, but they'll darken. Drying them in the fridge keeps their colour bright.

>> No.5640684

>>5640667
loads of aphids

>> No.5640853

>>5640608
those are all in the Hatch chili family right?

>> No.5640865

>>5640608
id get some apple cider vinegar, onion, cilantro, and garlic and make a sauce out of them