[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 217 KB, 660x398, hummus4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5624222 No.5624222[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do you make it?
How do you eat it?
Favourite hummus experience?

Everything hummus in this thread

>> No.5624228

I buy the overpriced premade crap from winco

I dip overpriced pita chips in it

It tastes good

>> No.5624233

>>5624228
yeah I do the same but with my local brand

worst thing is when they only stock the 250gram tubs because that bitch will be empty by tomorrow

a bit more priceworthy when they have the 500 g but still its not enough

>> No.5624293

Soaked chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, roasted garlic.
Combine till it's the right texture.
Good, easy dip to make

>> No.5624299

>>5624233

I have to be a faggot about it and get the tiny ass 57g containers because I can't be trusted with the large ones.

>> No.5624302

>>5624293

It's all about adding oil in slooooowly to get the right consistency.

>> No.5624335

>>5624299
isn't it really healthy tho?

if it came in buckets I'd get those right off the bat

>> No.5624336

if i am too lazy to soak the beans,,,,,,
2 cans of chickpeas
some tahini (eyeball that shit)
a few cloves of garlic roasted in the oven
half an onion roasted in the oven
maybe a hot pepper or two
some glugs of olive oil (the dankest i have)
reserved soaking liquid/water from can (to thin it out to the right consistency)
smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, hella salt, black pepper, some cumin, whatever other spices i feel like throwing in at the time

i've had quite a few people tell me i make some of if not the best hummus they've ever had. i don't do anything special. anyone can make delicious hummus.

i usually eat it w/ carrots, red bell peppers, or pita chips (i like making my own topped with za'atar).

>> No.5624338

>>5624302
Agreed. Should've mentioned that!

>> No.5624342

>>5624336
also, remove the bean skins if you want it to be super smooth.

>> No.5624364

>>5624335

It's significantly better than like a ranch cream bacon type dip.

>> No.5624391

>>5624222
inb4 everyone gets all assburger about how any hummus made without chickpeas isn't hummus - I KNOW. But, for lack of a better description, I will use that word in quotations.
Anyway, seriously guys, try making "hummus" with red lentils sometime. It's fantastic. Super smooth and creamy. Just wash a sort your lentils, and then cook for about 20-25 minutes or so using 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water or broth (I cooked mine in chicken broth with a chopped shallot and a minced garlic clove for extra flavor) until the liquid has absorbed and evaporated and the lentils are tender. Then proceed to make the "hummus" the same way as you normally would. I also prefer adding roasted or confit garlic over fresh, as it has a mellower, nuttier flavor.

>> No.5624402

>>5624391

Red lentil 'hummus' is actually pretty tasty. Especially spicy as fuck.

>> No.5624437

>>5624391

It seems similar enough but wouldn't you have to add more liquid?

>> No.5624450

>>5624437
No, not really, because the lentils are less dense and fiberous than chickpeas. Once you add tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, seasonings, etc. it's nice and smooth. But also, the lentils will still have some cooking liquid in with them at the end of cooking time. You're supposed to cook the lentils until the liquid absorbs, but there will still be some liquid in there, they shouldn't be cooked dry, or they'll stick to the pan.

>> No.5624801

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhkba5lyqk

>> No.5625062
File: 293 KB, 1261x1600, Crystal+hot+sauce+013[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know if there's an actual name for it, but I make little tortilla wraps with hummus. Steam a corn tortilla until it's soft and pliable, put a thick glob of hummus in the middle, splash on a good amount of Crystal hot sauce, and wrap it up. Sometimes I also put whole black beans in the hummus for texture

>> No.5625079

>>5624222
The secret to great hummus is peeling the chickpeas.

Made a fava bean hummus yesterday, and that was really good, too. Maybe not quite as good as chickpea, but a fun change of pace.

I also do both a carrot and a beet salad the same way (tahini, olive oil, salt garlic and lemon). Those are fucking delicious as well.

>> No.5625088

There's a restaurant I go to fairly often that makes a really good white bean hummus with I think either great northern or cannellini beans. It's pretty good, they make their own pita chips for it too.

I also had black bean hummus once, it was ok, but the color was kind of off-putting.