[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 246 KB, 1502x1786, aldi_logo1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5621439 No.5621439[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Any /ck/ go to aldis? If so, what meals have you made from there, and was it decent or good enough to make it again? Money is kind of tight, and I am not sure to continue shopping at walmart or go to aldis on my next grocery trip.. I never been there but I have heard you should bring your own bags.

>> No.5621471

I used to buy their cheap goat cheese with honey and use it on my bagels. I still go there to buy produce because its dirt cheap and it is literally the same brands you get at Kroger or Walmart.

>> No.5621480

It's run by germans so it's good for cheap.

>> No.5621488

>>5621439
Yes, bring your own bags or buy them there/grab a few boxes while you're shopping. You can get a full shopping cart for less than $150, they have their own brands but most of them are as good as name brands. Try it out, if you don't like it, leave.

>> No.5621521

>>5621439
Their produce and dairy is super cheap. That is all i mostly buy from there.

>> No.5621747

Aldi is GOAT, I moved away from my apartment that had an Aldi near it, and I miss it so. Wal Mart is a giant fuck fest. Always low prices my ass.

>> No.5621773

They're great and have become my main store for shopping since they built one around the corner. They pay their employees well and in turn, the employees are kind, helpful and fast workers. You do need to bring your own bags, but their prices are reasonable and the products they carry taste better than the normal brands to me. I'm in love with the Savoritz baked cheese crackers. If you're a fatass like me, their ice cream is also much cheaper than other places and is good stuff. As others have said, produce is always very cheap, although the one I go to doesn't always have the nicest looking vegetables.

>> No.5621800
File: 13 KB, 346x224, 346px-IGA_logo.svg[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The superior grocery store chain

>> No.5621815

>>5621773
what employees? there's one cashier and one stocker every time i've went

place is a joke

>> No.5621835

I drive further just for this place. They won't have everything, but what they do have is awesome and cheap. They change what's in the store week-to-week except for obvious things like milk, flour, eggs.

One day I bought 8 quarts of baby portabellos for 70 cents a piece. Compare to the 2.50$ at the normal grocery store for a box.

Their meat is okay, nothing special. It's cheap and is about the same quality as your run of the mill grocery store sale (though lately my chicken from winn-dixie looks manhandled to death before it hit the convey-o-slayer with bits of feather still attatched, so aldi is ahead)

Go, enjoy, remember to bring a quarter.

>> No.5621854

>>5621815
If you want more staff in the shop expect to pay higher prices at the till. Go into any of the big stores and you will see loads of staff milling around doing no much, hence the higher prices.

>> No.5621857

Their milk is so cheap it has a "We have the right to limit the quantity purchased" sign on it.
I've had bad luck with produce there, but other than that it's fantastic

>> No.5621871

>2014 only shopping at one store.

EVER!!!

>> No.5621879

They have meat, produce and dairy OP. And it's cheaper than any other store, at least in my area.

You can make anything.

>Loaded up that basket to the top
>$115

i get so giddy every time i see the total

>> No.5621880

>>5621815

let me guess, you showed up 10 minutes prior to close?

>> No.5621908

>>5621815
That's how they keep prices so low and still have decent food. Also they have no phone line as a general rule, they don't buy shelving units really. See where Walmart cuts cost by stocking shit-tier goods Aldi cuts cost by cutting the fat. Aldi is really and truly doing God's work.

>> No.5622082
File: 6 KB, 151x151, default.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lidl > Aldi
in every aspect.

>> No.5622127

I got 12 lbs of chicken there last week for 9 dollars, i love Aldis and its usually my first place to check when i need to shop for a lot of food

>> No.5622153
File: 398 KB, 1280x720, 1403455978958.1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the only thing I get from there is these because I can never find flaming hot cheetose

pretty good deal for only like a 1.29

>> No.5622225

>>5621835
> remember to bring a quarter
this.

>> No.5622229

I do most of my shopping at Asian grocers because most of what I buy is produce but for packaged goods, Aldi is muh shiznit.
For one, they carry proper cheese from time to time. They carried actual, proper French brie and not the horrid, oversalted American facsimile for a while. And at a super low cost, too ($2.99USD for a 7oz wedge which is under $6.84/lb... compared to $12/lb at 'proper' grocers).
Secondly, their chocolate is top notch. I'm from EU originally and live in the US currently. Aldi is the only store in the area that regularly sells proper chocolate at prices that don't put my testicles in a vice.
Third, the non-food specials are great. Whether it's table-and-chair set for $50, a decent mixer for $20 or a mandolin for $5, the quality of most special items far surpass the price. I've had only three items be in need of return: I returned a knife whose blade snapped in half as I was cutting a swede (the vegetable, not the people), a tea kettle that had rusted inside after one use and a blender whose motor burnt out whilst making curry paste.
Each time, the items were taken back no questions asked.
Fourth, fridge and pantry staples (sugar, flour, butter, pasta, rice etc) and pantry nice-to-haves (peanut butter, Nutella knock-offs, jams, proper mustard, maple syrup and so on) are not only routinely better-priced than elsewhere (even when combining sales with coupons), but are usually of better quality than the national brands, which is wholly surprising.
Fifth and finally, the ice cream. In the summer, they stock some great ice cream. And it's really, really cheap. Though not super premium, it really could pass for it, being so dense, weighty, and deliciously smooth. Most recently, I nabbed a box of peach ice cream with caramel swirl and toasted bits of something (cookie crumbs, maybe?) in it. The toasted bits are strewn about like streusel.
The meats are okay. The 'lunchmeats' are okay. The produce is okay. I don't often buy this stuff there.

>> No.5622257

>>5622082
I work for Lidl and would do most of my shopping in Aldi

>> No.5622259

Are we talking Euro Aldi or US Aldi? They're quite different things.

>> No.5622263

I hate going there stoned. All their snacks are right in the front of the store and I just want to get all the things

>> No.5622269

>>5622259
The Swiss, Slovenian, US and Australian ones are all pretty similar. I don't know how they are in other countries, though, like the UK and so on.

>> No.5622276

>>5622259
was going to say, i would never hear these reviews in the uk aha

>> No.5622281

>>5622276
When do brits like to praise anything?
I live in the UK and Aldia's good for the fruit they have on special. Meat is pretty good too since they have basically no stock room and massive turnover it doesn't sit in a storage fridge for a week.

>> No.5622284
File: 60 KB, 420x443, Not ameowsed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5622281
>Aldia
Aldi

>> No.5622312

>>5622257
r u 1 of those qt cashiers

>> No.5622347
File: 19 KB, 290x176, aldi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5622259

There are only two types of Aldi. One type is supposed to be the same all over the world.

>> No.5622427

gf and i shop at aldi for most basics. You can get cheap alright tasting junk as well. I fucking love the onion rings even though they're bad as shit for you. Anyways you can get a decent sized cart full of stuff for $50.
The produce at mine isn't good at all though