[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.84 MB, 480x270, $500 beverage.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5608039 No.5608039[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Since when has an article of food or drink ever been worth over $100.

What was it that made it worth it? Don't say "the experience", what about the food itself as in the taste and texture made it worth it?

Besides giving you the ability to mention that you ate/drank it.

>> No.5608045

>>5608039
do you mean like... Meals? Like tasting menus at michelin starred joints?

Or individual ingredients, like truffles?

>> No.5608046

>>5608039
I've been to several Michelin restaurants and its been worth the money every time.

The food is always incredible, as is the service and drink. Do I really have to describe how something was good?

Maybe you should try it just once.

>> No.5608125

The more money you spend on an object that you can digest and then shit out, the stronger your wizardry becomes.

>> No.5608143

This seems like a strange question.

Usually, not always but usually, the more money you spend the better your food/experience/product/etc is going to be. Like if you spend 1 buck at a mickyDs for a burger you probably won't get too good a burger, if you spend 20 bucks on it, then it's going to be pretty dang good.

>> No.5608151

>>5608143
It isn't necessarily the case that you can extrapolate that more expensive necessarily means better always, though. I'm sure there's a point where increase in price stops entailing increase in quality in any worthwhile way.

>> No.5608169

it's a recreational pastime. like watching a play or renting a jet ski or something. it's entertaining.

personally i have an active interest in cooking because i like actually doing it so i can't speak for people who don't, but you pay for a huge amount of work and ingredients of great scarcity and quality. you eat a quail ballotine stuffed with breast meat that's been forced through a sieve until it's buttery smooth and laced with grand-a-kilo truffles and tarragon that's been fastidiously chopped into exactly equal pieces. you feel privileged. it's a good feeling.

>> No.5608179

>>5608039
For me, honestly, it's the experience and the occasion. One time I took one of my best friends out to dinner at some fancypants seafood place. The quality of the food was amazing, but the experience I enjoyed was sitting there, analyzing the food/drinks and having good conversation. I believe that the frequency of eating 'fancy' food detracts from the quality and thus, the enjoyment.

>> No.5608181
File: 37 KB, 191x226, leave us.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5608169
>you feel privileged
No, YOU feel privileged. Some people buy food for the quality, not because a bunch of complex processes were shoved into the cooking procedure.

If it improves the food, by all means carthwheel through your kitchen and make monkey noises
But more times than not, the food quality doesn't increase 10 fold, unlike the price.

Things like the OP's webm are meant to appeal to fools and fools alone.

>> No.5608186

>>5608181

>If it improves the food

it does improve the food. where did i give the impression it didn't?

>> No.5608606

>>5608039
>Don't say "the experience"
But much of what you're paying for when eating at a restaurant is the experience of being in the restaurant itself. Nice places with good service have overheads, anon.

>> No.5608623

>>5608039
Well that does look like a unique drinking experience...

But $500 for a single drink is pretty ridiculous I will agree.

If you don't like fine dining though, more power to you, I guess.

>> No.5608648

>>5608039
>drink
>wine that's twice as old as I am, is renouned for its flavour, and the amount left in the world couldn't fill a bath tub.

>> No.5608681

>>5608623

it's not actually five hundred bucks.

>> No.5609160

>>5608186
Don't pay him any attention. Dude is clearly a moron.

>> No.5611043

>>5609160
How's the single parent life treating you?

>> No.5611683

While I would usually say that $500 for a single beverage is obscene... there is a point for rarity.

I used to travel a LOT(pre 9/11), and would often be booked into world class hotels, part of that would also include a reservation to the restaurant, and in some cases I was invited to the Chef's personal dining room

>being in the private dining room with only 15 other people
>a Michelin Chef individually prepares each plate
>after a 3 hour dining session receive a over $400 bill
>Worth Every Penny.

>> No.5611989
File: 99 KB, 881x412, thurman-travolta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5608039

>> No.5612046

>>5611683

Eh. I worked as a security contractor for several years doing diplomat protection and been to several of the style dinners you spoke of. While I didn't have to pay for it, I didn't view it as being orgasmic and wouldn't go out of my way to pay for such an expensive dinner.

There's a spectrum of quality where low tier is small, mid to high is very long and super is fractionally small.

>> No.5612063

>>5611989
It is a good milkshake though.

>> No.5612210

>>5608151
Certainly but it ain't $100.

>> No.5612232

Well part of it is comparative cost of luxury. A very ritzy bottle of wine, whiskey, or a nice dinner, while expensive, are still much cheaper than a new car or a diamond ring. So it's a way of exercising your wealth, really enjoying it, without spending too much.

Another part of it is the chance to expand your palette. You wouldn't serve good sturgeon caviar to a child because they'll probably just spit it out and ask for some fries. Kids are dicks like that and some adults are too. But if you're someone serious about food and drink and want to taste something that will really be worth your palette, then only something as complex and subtle as a really expensive meal, or an authentic food in another country, will suffice.

I know /ck/ tends to disagree and call itself reasoned, but I don't think that a crap wine should be held on the same level as a good wine. Because in this world of ours there are good things and bad things and even very incredible things indeed. A good wine is a good wine, and a man that appreciates a bad wine over it can simply be regarded as having shit taste, in purest sense of the word. Did you know there are some that enjoy the smell of skunk? Regard these people with shit noses, and regard those that would just as well choose gas station New Jersey wine coolers over a fine German wine as having shit tongues not worthy of their meal. Enjoyment and choice be damned, this is a matter of being right and wrong.

>> No.5612271

>>5608039
>Since when has an article of food or drink ever been worth over $100.

In the 1800s prime cuts of premium cattle went for what would be $70+/pound today.

>> No.5612289

A few years ago my family went to Peter Luger's Steakhouse once, but I had to miss out because of some work bullshit. My mom brought back a bacon cheeseburger for me and I was really looking forward to it.

Too bad some motherfucker though putting a slice of raw onion in the take home case was a good idea. The bacon tasted like onion, the ground beef tasted like onion, the cheese tasted like onion, even the fucking bun tasted like onion. Honestly, it was one of the most disappointing culinary experiences of my life, knowing that some place that can charge ~$150 a head was also stupid enough to ruin something so easily.

>> No.5612290

What is 1+1?

Don't say 2.

>> No.5612612

>>5608039
What's going on in that image?
It looks like some serious witch doctor shit.

>> No.5612619

>>5612289

I'd be more concerned about the person who went to a fancy steakhouse and then brought you home a burger instead of a steak.

>> No.5612621

How much money is worth to you depends on how much you have. If you have $100 million then spending 5$ at McDonalds and spending $300 at Jiro's are basically the same to you, so there's no real reason not to do the latter

>> No.5612668

>>5612612
It's all fairly standard mixing stuff, just using fancy vessels and a blowtorch, but with an emphasis on precision and presentation

upscale japanese bartending is infused with that weird penchant the japanese have for taking out-of-the-way crafts and taking them very, very seriously. it's like some politician or mangaka picks up a western hobby and ten years later ginza district is a mecca for bartending/wine-tasting/whisky.

weird country

>> No.5612686

>>5608039
That video made me miss smoking shisha.

>> No.5612701

>>5612612

The inside of the Decanter is filled with smoke after rinsing the inside with rum. Next, a wood chip is put into the net in a teapot and burnt. A teapot is filled with rum (from decanter). And the impression is ripe with the barrel is given to rum. The inside of decanter is made filled with smoke using the same wood chips and a smoker. The ingredients of the Rum Martinez is then placed inside the smoked decanter and turned to marry the flavours.
Rum 45ml
Vermouth 45ml
Maraschino 1tsp
Original Rum Bitters 1dash
The smoke and a cocktail are easy partnered and work very well together. A tree is coaster, a dead leaf, and garnish are cigars. It is a nostalgic cocktail.

>> No.5612752

When he uses the blowtorch on those wood chips, does he pour the liquid over them thorugh the strainer?

Wouldn't that make the drink taste of ash and shit?

>> No.5612768

>>5612752
>does he pour the liquid over them thorugh the strainer?

Yes. it's infusing the drink with the flavor of the toasted chips.

>Wouldn't that make the drink taste of ash and shit?

If he did it wrong, yes. But the torch was only used for a few seconds. The idea is to just barely toast the wood, not burn it to ash.

>> No.5613934

>>5612271
>in the 1800s
I wasn't aware primitive culture was a standard now. They also didn't believe in evolution.

>> No.5613941

>>5608039
I gave your momma my nice taste and texture last night

>> No.5613963

>>5613934
Giving diaper heads 1800s is giving them way too much, that's about 2nd century. That would be about 150 AD.

Let's have some fun and stone some women.

>> No.5613968

>>5608039
I don't like overly expensive restaurants but the "experience" can affect your enjoyment. The point is to have a great night. If you want to sit there and analyze the taste instead of enjoying a casual conversation with friends you won't enjoy any restaurant as much. Just saiyan.

>> No.5613974

>>5613968
I agree if the "experience" is for others, I don't need it for myself. I'll pay for it and get out of there as quick as possible. I prefer to give a girlfriend my CC and let her deal with it, then I can magically vanish. I don't care about some homosexual "experience." That kind of crap just doesn't matter to me.

>> No.5613979

>>5613974
The experience doesn't matter to me either. I'm saying it does for others and for them it's worth it. No use complaining. Let them enjoy their experience.

Telling them it isn't worth it is like telling guys video games are pointless. They technically kind of are outside enjoyment but pointing that out is dickish and wrong headed.

>> No.5613981

>>5608039
I once had a steak that was aged for nearly 9 months. It was a "Riserva" 16oz bone-in ribeye, and it was $160, at the Mario Batali steakhouse CarneVino in Las Vegas.

Yes it was worth it, completely. It was, objectively, more than ten times better than a shitty $16 walmart ribeye.

I've actually eaten at many of the best restaurants here in Vegas, and I would say that as long as the meal isn't taking up a portion of your bank account to where you start getting shit on your credit score, it is almost always worth it. Sometimes a place can not justify the cost (CUT, the Wolfgang Puck place is one that is just too outrageous), but they are mostly worth it.

>> No.5613987

Phone call from work, gotta go folk, bye enjoy, I gotta go. I'm a professional at making up excuses, I'll pay the bill, that's what a girl is for she can do that in my name, no problem, but I really don't want to be there. I'd rather some friend call me to give me an excuse and go smoke a J, drink a beer and hang out.

The girls like fru fru shit, so give an excuse and it looks good to them and their guests then I'm outta there.

>> No.5613992

>>5612232
>regard those that would just as well choose gas station New Jersey wine coolers over a fine German wine as having shit tongues not worthy of their meal. Enjoyment and choice be damned, this is a matter of being right and wrong.

you are god
damned
mother
fucking
RIGHT

ten star post

>> No.5613999

>>5613981
>mario batali

Go fuck yourself.

>> No.5614009

so this guy puts some smoke in a bottle, covers it with a butplug and charges $500?

>> No.5614014

>>5613999
>durr Hollywood and the jooz

Ask me how I know you've never eaten at any of his restaurants

>> No.5614018

I can program my computer to call my phone at a specific time, so fuck. Deal with people that I don't want to be around for 20 minutes, then a phone call, I just pretend to talk, then it's a work call, so have to leave. It's a good excuse.

I also setup another 25 minutes later, just in case I get myself involved with some weirdo. Backups are always useful to get me out of some place that I have no desire of being in.

>> No.5614025

>>5614014
Ask me if I give a fuck.
Go back to sucking that orange ape's dick, would you?

>> No.5614032

>>5614014
Why would anyone want to in the first place? See the difference or maybe you're too stupid to do so. I need a reason to want to patronize a celebrity restraurant, because it's from a "celebrity" does not make it a reason, except for chicks.

I don't mind paying for that for a girlfriend for instance, but for myself, I couldn't give a fuck about some celebrity.

>> No.5614044

>>5614018
or you know you could just tell the truth.

>> No.5614049

>>5613974
>>5613987
>>5614018

this is a very weird samefag

>>5614025
>>5614032

what you guys got against mario batali

>> No.5614086

>>5614049
He was on the TV
Can't be defeated by marketing

>> No.5614103

>>5613999
>>5614025
>>5614032

>thinking being on TV somehow deteriorates a chef's skill or reputation
>not patronizing a michelin-starred master chef who made a name for himself before appearing on a single commercial, because 4chen says liking popular things on TV is pleb

Kids detected

>> No.5614110
File: 27 KB, 360x255, ironchef_batali2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5614049

There is nothing wrong with Mario Batali, I can guarantee he has more skill in his toenail clippings than everyone on this board has put together.

>> No.5614111

>>5614049
>what you guys got against mario batali

He's pompous, rude, egotistical, obnoxious, and an eyesore. And in spite of his "credentials" makes some really awful food.

>> No.5614113

>>5614111
But he has orange clogs.

>> No.5614117

>>5614111

So is Ramsay. One is fashionable here and the other isn't. I personally can't see a huge difference between the two from the eyes of two fellow laypeople. One gets on TV and yells and shouts like a cunt. The other gets on press and acts like a cunt. They're probably both cunts, and both great chefs.

>awful food

Back up your opinion, Ego.

>> No.5614126

>>5614117
I don't like either of them, they can both go suck a nut.

>awful food
Yeah.
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Mini-Cutlets-Mario-Batali

>> No.5614131

>>5614126
Yep, he's a genius, alright.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Sloppy-Joe-Twist-Mario-Batali

>> No.5614136

>>5614117
Batali is fat and looks truly awful
ramsay is scottish and cool

Both are excellent chefs

>> No.5614263

>>5614126
>>5614131

>Cheap recipes he made for fucking ABC is somehow indicative of the $100+ courses made with prime ingredients that he serves at his restaurants.

Stop being an intentionally obtuse faggot

>> No.5614392

>>5613981
What did you think of knob hill?

I think the best meal I had was the testing at Nobu. I've been at many of his other places and this was among the best.

Craft steak was okay but they were really deceptive about calling their wagyu Kobe.

>> No.5614558

>>5614392
Only thing I've ever had at knob hill was the lobster pot pie, it was good.

Which nobu? We have two now, I really like the Hard Rock one. It's the only one that the nobu group has any real involvement with. Love the place.

Craft steak I've never been into. Carnevino (which I am actually posting this from!) or Strip Steak I usually go for.

>> No.5614594

>>5613934
Then how did they evolve into us?

>> No.5614607
File: 3 KB, 126x126, 1353020336788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>easter years ago
>mom just started seeing a millionaire
>invites me over
>as i walk in, he asks if i like cognac
>sure, it's ok
>pours me some goddamn king louis xiii
for the non-booze crowd, this is a 4000 dollar bottle
>delicious
>finish bottle with him
>him: oh boy, that was good *pulls out second bottle*
>mfw

$4k good? fuck no. pretty alright though.
also he told me hennessey richard tastes better (it's like a grand cheaper). if you're a big cognac guy (FOR YOU) then take this away from the story.

>> No.5614621

>>5614263
If he had any credibility, he wouldn't sign off on that shit. I have no respect for the fat faggot. Or you.

>> No.5614630

>>5614607
try 15-20k

>> No.5614631

I'm still spazzing out over that one 3 thousand dollar ice cream desert with the truffles and cherries dipped in gold and gold shavings in it. It's a stupid idea and what's the point of paying that much to eat ice cream. I wouldn't pay that much if I had a million dollars and all the hundred dollars bills in the world.

>> No.5614635

>>5614630
my bad thinking of black pearl

>> No.5614638

>>5614631
its actually not that much once you take out the price of the gold spoon, crystal serving dish and diamond bracelet that come with the purchase

>> No.5614648

>>5614621
>he posted a recipe of dubious quality for the largest news corporation in the world, therefore ALL FOOD HE DOES, HAS DONE, OR EVER WILL DO, IS SHIT

go to Carnevino, then rescind your position.

>> No.5614665

>>5608039
All that stuff's gotta be a bitch to clean

>> No.5614678

I went to a nice fondue place once where the bill came out to about $100-150 per person. Definitely worth it.

>> No.5614700

>>5614648
Yes, we know you have your head straight up his ass, you've already made that very clear. Unfortunately, the lack of clean air is affecting your brain. Take your orange faggot shilling somewhere else. We don't give a shit about his overpriced craptacular food.

>> No.5614707

>>5608039
Imagine a hobby of yours. One that you really put some time into and really invest in it. Maybe you collect retro video games and really want Earthbound despite costing over 200 dollars. That to you is treasure. It represents a cathartic release when you get it. You've sought it and now it's yours. Feels fucking great, yeah?

Okay maybe you don't like video games, or think that that is far too expensive for something as silly as that. Maybe you like guns. Historical guns. And I know shit all about guns so, you know, if this is you fill in the blanks.

Comic books? Rare first prints run up in price, but again not my expertise.

Oh, I know it's clothes. No? Not even a piece by Carol Christian Poell? Listen the dip dyed shoes are one of the most innovative- yes they're over 3,000 dollars. No but some people like it.

Surely there's something you're chasing? A car? A beautiful house? A nice computer?

Now many things could justify the igh price point of these treasured items. The quality. The personality. The aesthetic. The rarity. I mean why are diamonds so valuable? They don't hold any objective value, but rarity among other things grant societal value. It's a treasure.

To some people, fine dining is that treasure. The research, the acclaim, among other things make the experience mythical. Every bite dances on your senses. The smells take your heart. You take it slow. Which is important, it gives you a chance to appreciate nuance (continued)

>> No.5614709

>>5614707

These parts, by someone who wouldn't care for it, aren't noticed. But to the person willing, it's beauty.

Think back to Earthbound. The person willing will notice every charm, every bit of dialogue, every laugh, every emotion that is meant to be evoked is felt for real. Now take the person unwilling. It's all shit. Who cares about the artstyle? This is it? People spend hundreds on THIS?

To the outsider, the person willing will always seem pretentious, uneducated, or the like. If there's no interest, it's in human nature to defend the lack of interest. Other people can't just like something, if they like something that I don't then they're dumb assholes. Most of us do this. But in all reality, it really is just an experience. Like everything in life. Why travel besides saying you did? The experience. Why go to a concert besides saying you did? The experience. Why live besides saying you did? The experiences. That's all life is. A series of experiences. Some you'll love, some you'll find pretentious and idiotic, but others will love them. And who is to say who is right in a world where everyone believes themselves to be right?

Cheers.

>> No.5614721

ITT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9J1b3MqiX8

>> No.5614722

>>5613974
>>5613987
>>5614018
Who the fuck are you even talking to?

>> No.5614729

>>5614707
>>5614709
Five fucking star post.

>> No.5614803
File: 130 KB, 500x695, tumblr_luo8lgn4kU1r5yc70o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5614707
>Carol Christian Poell
Would you eat object-tanned pork loin?
Good post though

>> No.5614816

>>5614707
These are bad comparisons because a meal is gone in a couple hours (at most), whereas the other stuff you keep for your whole life.

>> No.5614837

>>5614816
What about visiting a city then? A week is fairly momentary in the context of living but it's still so memorable. Same with a great meal. Out of all the meals you've had, you probably remember a few. Why is that? Atmosphere, taste, whatever it may be it's an experience. While having a treasured item may be permanent, but I'd argue a lot of the feelings towards it is the experience of originally obtaining it. Or the experience of playing it for the video game. Etc... Nostalgia is built from experiences, not from seeing an item everyday. That's essentially what I was getting at.

>>5614803
Is your picture an item that was designed for purchase or just for an advertisement? I would think just for an ad but I really wouldn't put that past him

>> No.5614863

>>5614816
Ok, what if your passion is cycling. You spend thousands to fly to western europe with your bike and ride those beautiful climbs you see during the Giro, the Tour, the Vuelta. They're over in a couple of hours (though I guess you'll feel it for days).

It's just money. An interesting dinner, tickets to a music festival, good seats at a big game, a fun night on the town, two big studio video games you play through once and never touch ever again. That's what money is for after you've got your present and your future assured. If there's nothing you can think of that's worth over $100 and isn't an investment then what the fuck do you even do?

>> No.5614880

>>5614863
>That's what money is for after you've got your present and your future assured
No, money at that point is for paying for your descendants or charity. This sort of selfish decadence is the ruin of civilizations.

>> No.5614884

>>5614880
If you're Chinese, sure.

>> No.5614949

>>5614700
Not that guy, but the original argument was about his food being awful, and you only produced two obviously made-for-tv shit recipes that are meant for the masses, as if that has any bearing on his serious food. There's no logical argument here really.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't the bitter sperglord in question, here >>5614111 the claim was that he made awful food, and the guy wanted him to prove it here >>5614117
It was never actually proven that Batali's high-class food was terrible like he asked, which was the original bone of contention.

>> No.5614952 [DELETED] 

I will admit that I am lucky and come from a wealthy family. We live in Asia land. 99.99% of the time we go down to the local street market and that is were our meals come from incredibly cheap, good and healthy. But on occasion we go to this exclusive and expensive places. Why do we do it? Keep up social appearances. That is basically it.

I have had some amazing food that was really expensive. It was good but rarely would I consider it worth the price tag.

I can't fathom spending crazy amounts of money for food even if I can afford it. It wasn't how I was raised.

>> No.5615151
File: 1.33 MB, 2448x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5614949
To have a low opinion of him or even be pessimistic is one thing, but to outright say his food is shit, when the entire world enthusiastically disagrees, well that's just stupid.

If you're dry-aging grass fed Neiman ranch beef for 45-60 days, searing it in a 1500F broiler, carting it tableside in a temperature controlled box, carving it with a razor sharp knife, and finishing it off with a castellas di ama olive oil and maldon salt, there is no objective way it could be bad. It's just incorrect to imply otherwise.

>> No.5615158

>>5612046
>There's a spectrum of quality where low tier is small, mid to high is very long and super is fractionally small.
Are you talking about food portions sizes?

>> No.5615163

>>5611683
An open kitchen or a chef's table is as much entertainment as the food, and as such, I completely agree with you. I don't think Michelin stars figures into it that much, however. I've had much finer examples of your experience outside of this level of restaurant. If you like the chef, or adore the food, that's what matters more than the rating of the restaurant.

>> No.5615167

>>5615151

Why the fuck should I care? I don't vote republican or democrat. Your consumerism is like that of a mindless sheep.

>> No.5615171

>>5612289
Sounds like you simply don't like onions.

I agree though. Why you'd get some takehome container of a burger that wasn't going to be consumed in 15 minutes after cooking is silly. They should have brought you a steak, which would have traveled better. I guess they don't love you.

So you know...Peter Luger has a controversial sauce (which my grocery sells and you should easily find where you live too). I like it...but a steak purist might find it offensive. It's a sweet combination of steak plus plus ketchup plus BBQ plus horseradish. It should be used ONLY on meat as it's cooking, as kind of a glaze finish. It tastes raw on the plate, and sticky sweet. But, when cooked, its probably something their clients have found addictive over the years. So, to get a burger from Peter Luger is missing out on what is their real fame. I order burgers at fine steakhouses all the time. Sometimes you simply are traveling, and want something smaller/lighter than the $50/plate dinner. A burger gives you their smoke/grilling, whatever they do there, a fresh ground burger (almost a guarantee), and a chef who knows how to differentiate medium well like his life depends on it. You get your foot in the door at a finer establishment atmosphere or service, or view, for half the price. Spend your money on some finer liquor. That or a steak salad. But, at Peter Luger? Nah, they steaks are about that sauce, and the "romanian" style skirt steak experience, something popular with the ny-jewish population that originated in eastern europe, like in the 50s.

>> No.5615187

>>5612701
>The smoke and a cocktail are easy partnered and work very well together. A tree is coaster, a dead leaf, and garnish are cigars. It is a nostalgic cocktail.
The whole set up was fun to watch, but as someone who appreciates fine rum? Smoky is not how you want it. That's overly smoky.

I could totally see if this was a "no smoking" establishment and the point of the cocktail was to marry the cigar+aged rum palate experience. But to double the smoke into it, and also serve with a cigar? No, this is silliness. Thanks for sharing though! Great lighting too. I love a long swizzle spoon, very dramatic.

One of the reasons I adore Jameson, and anything from Midleton distillery, is that they roast their grains from a brick floor heated underneath (like roman bath ruins). The is no mingling of smoke from the roasting wood and the grain. They are completely separate. But, I get infusing flavor of that vermouth step. I also like the sherry casks that a lot of smart distilleries use to age. But, unlike this cocktail, half the reason to have a sherry cask is that it was charred (versus sharp fresh wood resin) and the previous aging finally reaches past the char layer, into the partially charred wood underneath it, where there is wood sugar caramel flavor. Some aged rums copy Jameson and use spanish sherry casks for the same reason, but they don't age very long in them.

To sum up, this guy is trying to approximate a finer aged rum with inferior ingredients, plus the smoke of scotch. My palate would know!
>>5612752
>Wouldn't that make the drink taste of ash and shit?
I think it would not only taste like shit, but add a detectable propane additive kind of taint as well.

>> No.5615193

>>5614111
>Batali
>eyesore
So what? Never trust a skinny chef.
Though Batali talks a mile a minute oddly, he's less damaged than a Flay or a Ramsey (comparing celebrity chefs here). He's not rude, nor obnoxious or he couldn't do a live studio audience taping.

Fat guys? They love food. This chef came from educated stock and obviously doesn't have that rags to riches learning disabled flunkie childhood of other chefs. I have never met anyone that thought he made bad food. If you think that? You must be one of the few people in the world who can't stand Italian food, farm to table vegetables, etc. Your palate is shit.

>> No.5615195

>>5614131
That TV show has some stupid "use these dumbass ingredients together" kind of audience challenges.

>> No.5615203

>>5614631
>It's a stupid idea and what's the point of paying that much to eat ice cream. I wouldn't pay that much if I had a million dollars and all the hundred dollars bills in the world.
Serendipity and many other restaurants in NYC have some break-the-bank crazy birthday ice cream sundaes. It's something people do for attention or to give attention to someone. Celebrate the anniversary with something unexpected at the big reunion dinner or celebration day, like what? No way! Eating gold? Instagram that! Let's take a selfie. Aww, honey you're worth it. And, stuff like that.

In NYC, people who shop drop that kind of money in an afternoon on things like shoes and a purse, or a single dress, or yet another laptop. It's relative to any other impulse shopping.

>> No.5615212

>>5615203

I love it how /ck/'s experience with good restaurants consists of "clickbait this adfarm post to see ONE CRAZY DESSERT YOU WON'T BELIEVE"

You know for every serendipity $1000 sundae here in the city, there are about 800 normal restaurants serving nice normal well executed food for a few multiples the cost of a chipotle lunch.

But just as /ck/ doesn't recognize the existence of knives between Fibrox and $1000 custom made weeb swords, the only food that exists is shitty fast food and clickbait sundaes that no one actually orders in real life.

>> No.5615230

>>5614880
>>>5614863
>>That's what money is for after you've got your present and your future assured
>No, money at that point is for paying for your descendants or charity. This sort of selfish decadence is the ruin of civilizations
It has to go to charity?? Ruin of civilizations? Supporting local business is the absolute upkeep of civilizations. I absolutely can make the argument that it's better to give money to working professionals, business owners, building leasing agents, waitstaff, valets, and other people earning it through hard work, people with bills to pay, than to charity. At some point, you can do both, however. It's not a sin to spend money better in ways that benefit you. How much good does money do you sitting in a bank when a piece of jewelry holds the same value on your arm, and you enjoy it? None. The craftsman who is making wonderful wooden cutting boards from reclaimed wood, spending 14 days lovingly crafting each one, and values his time and effort of two weeks makes a pricetag of $2000 for that cutting board is okay. You can buy one for $5 from IKEA, from bamboo or plastic that won't outlast hardwood, and enjoy it less than a lifetime. If you spend you money and fill your time in ways that benefit people who aren't part of some massive scale mass produced lowest end price product, you are delusional that you are doing more good for all. This is the same low level thinking that governments, museums, churches should sell their art to feed the poor. It's no solution.

>> No.5615237

>>5615212
I don't know why you assume I'd would order that. I simply explained spending style in NYC and the generation of doing that for giving or getting attention. Someone wanted to know why or how it could exist on a menu. I gave my opinion.

You don't need to tell me that there is every kind of restaurant or dessert available in the city, at every price.

>> No.5615738

>>5615230
There is nothing "local business" about very upscale restaurants.

>> No.5615796

>>5615738
Maybe it seems that way because you don't live near any

>> No.5615817

>>5615738
That's a very silly statement

>> No.5615832

>>5615796
That's like saying going to the movies is giving money to local businesses when you live near Hollywood.

>> No.5615844

>>5615832

Oh hi defeated by marketing guy. How many days since McDonald's?

>> No.5615846

>>5615844
Who the hell are you talking about? Have you ever considered that possibly, just possibly, there may be more than one person who disagrees with you? The moment you try to pin an identity on somebody on an anonymous imageboard is the moment you have lost; take it back to reddit or tumblr or wherever you came from.

>> No.5615935

>>5615846
I was here before you. Try to contain your defeatedness.

>> No.5615941

>>5608039
it's tasty, worth the extra money to eat every time? nope.
worth it for the occasion? fuck yes.
nobu tacos so fucking good.

>> No.5616385

>>5615151
>Neiman ranch
>implying that's good beef

>> No.5616390

>>5615151
>>5614949
Sucking the orange ape dick. Is his sperm orange too?

>> No.5616425

>>5616390
Mario Batali has mob connections you stupid bambino....

He is a 5 star Michelin chef and only uses the best and fresh Sicilian and Italiano ingredients for his food. You should be executed for disgracing his name you dirty uncultured pig.

I hope you choke on your Dominos pizzas you fat ignorant asshole

>> No.5616426

>>5608039
There is a restaurant in New Orleans that has a $100 cheeseburger on its menu. The cheeseburger comes with a bottle of Dom Perignon, though, which I assume counts for most of the $100 price tag.

>> No.5616438
File: 38 KB, 448x396, 1382092457093.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5616426
No the Dom Perignon is free its the cheese ham burger that is $100 retard.

>> No.5616552

>>5614721

shit's dumb as fuck yo

they're just yes men

even when i didn't know shit about food i'd be inclined to talk shit about the food whenever i ate at fancy places

>> No.5616600

>>5616425
>5 star michelin chef
>5 stars
>michelin

>> No.5616732

>>5616600
TOPPEST KEK

>> No.5617728

>>5608039

It's relative. For a person of median wealth, nothing is really worth that much when you consider the relative utility of that $100. If however you are a billionaire, $100 is nothing to you and even small increases in quality, location or atmosphere are worth that money.

Plus, often you are paying to ensure the restaurant won't be full of toothless yokels.

>> No.5617740

>>5616600
not him (and i doubt batali has 5 stars), but you do realize that chefs [not restaurants] can have more than 3 stars, right?

joël robuchon has like 30 now, it's ridiculous

>> No.5617755

>>5617740
Batali has one star.

>> No.5617920

>>5617740
not the restaurant itself

>> No.5618523

>>5617755
Yeah, for Babo which is really dated now come to think of it. It's super 90s.