[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 43 B, 1x1, Z31Q3RUP.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5536186 No.5536186[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hi,

I love smoked salmon, I fucking love it. I eat it by itself, on crusty bread with cream cheese, on blinis, with cheeses and grapes and apples and shit when I don't want a full meal.

Thing is, it's fucking expensive.

/ck/ peeps, how do I source good smoked salmon cheap? Bulk buy from market or what?

>> No.5536430

le smoked slalom bump

>> No.5536447

The cheapest way is to make it yourself. It's actually surprisingly easy to build your own smoker, and cooking it is as simple as keeping it in a box with burning wood for most of the day.

Where do you live? If you live in the northwest US it's pretty easy to find a native who gillnets salmon in bulk then sells them for dirt cheap. I live near the Columbia river and can get fresh out da water spring chinook for like $100 for two fish, about 16 pounds cleaned.

Alternatively you could catch trout and smoke those, since they're the same family of fish.

>> No.5536453

>>5536447

Thanks for the answer, I live in inner city UK though, it does sound nice to get fresh fish from a fisherman and smoke it yourself. I occasionally daydream about going up to Scotland and spending a day doing smoked salmon tasting similar to the way people do wine tasting.

>> No.5536487

>>5536453
That would make it a bit difficult I suppose, lol. Still, if you know anyone with a yard you could juryrig a plywood box, a hot plate, a tin pan, a grill stand, and some hardwood shavings and make a weekend trip out of it. Maybe even find a remote area to the north and camp out there for a while. Buy some frozen salmon in season, thaw it out before you smoke it, then shoot the shit for a day with some friends. I honestly don't know anyone would complain about the smell of burning cherry wood if you can find a small enough town.

You might even try using liquid smoke flavoring and baking at low heat, but that most likely wouldn't turn out as well.

Your best option would most likely just be to purchase a shit ton of smoked fish during the fishing season then freeze it. I think we're coming up on steelhead season over here, but otherwise you might have to wait till autumn.