[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1008 KB, 320x240, 1396059941264.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5533115 No.5533115 [Reply] [Original]

I've tried making chicken breast once every other day but it's still really expensive (plus I heard a lot of meat has a bunch of female hormones and other garbage in it. any truth?)

I'm still eating meat but right now I'm just looking for the cheapest food that can help me bulk up. Rice, beans, occasional meat and dairy.

I don't like beans too much so is there a good kind (like the healthiest/most nutrients) and a way to cook them? Is all brown rice created equal? And how would I go about making some kind of bean rice stew?

>> No.5533121

>>5533115
dafuq? chicken breast is like the least expensive protein at the market.
i think lentils are really high nutrient, but honestly i would say just eat all kinds. i eat pinto, black, and red kidney beans with white rice and chicken all the time.
how can you not like beans?

>> No.5533135

>>5533115
Buy bulk chicken. If you really want to be frugal, butcher a few chickens yourself and bag up the pieces.

>how to cook beans with rice
Add water, boil until both are cooked through.

the Weinet

>> No.5533176

>>5533121
I don't know I've recently been expanding my diet to foods I used to not like and now it's time for beans. I think it was the texture and blandness of them.

Curious why you eat white rice? Is the brown rice health thing a big myth or do you just like the taste?

>>5533135
I'm a typical college student so I can't really butcher my own chickens. I also don't have a costco membership so no bulk buying. I shop at walmart unfortunately.

>> No.5533332

>>5533176
You don't have to have a Costco membership to buy bulk. There are other places that sell bulk chicken, such as Walmart.

All you need to butcher a chicken is a cutting board and knife.

>> No.5533357

>>5533121
Chicken breast fillets are really expensive compared to thighs etc. which are far more delicious. Roast a pack of chicken thighs with oil, salt and pepper, remove and store the flesh, eat dat delicious skin or refry later, make stock with the bones. Higher fat content than breast of course but calories are precious when you are poor. For ultimate frugality, buy big bags of chicken parts frozen.

>> No.5533533

>>5533115
chicken thighs are about 80 cents per pound. Skinless are $1 per pound. eat that, oatmeal, beef raviolis, and pasta. Beans and rice.

>> No.5533536

>>5533176
oooh ooh there's your first problem. Walmart is cheap for just about everything EXCEPT food. Their prices are consistently higher than local groceries. make the extra trip and find a local place to shop.

>> No.5533547

Cheapest protein where I live, in Canadian Costco prices:

1. Whey protein (insanely high upfront costs for a tub, but that tub will last you months, works out the best protein to dollar ratio)
2. Ham (not processed deli ham, goes as low as $4/kg if you get a large ham that you can break down and freeze)
3. Pork tenderloin (it's a giant slab of pure pork chop, very lean. I thiiink it was about $5/kg maybe a bit more)
4. Whole chickens ($5.50/kg)
5. Ground beef ($6.50/kg last I checked, it's been a while)

Compared to:
Canned Tuna 6-pack, ends up being about $7 for less than a kg (specifically 798g) of drained fish
Boneless skinless chicken thighs: $11/kg
Boneless skinless chicken breasts: $15/kg

>> No.5533551

>>5533547
Forgot eggs. Eggs are cheap as shit. Can't remember the exact pricing, but it's definitely in the top 5 for best protein for your money.

>> No.5533641

If you want to make beans and rice into really delicious fucking food, you do it creole or mexican style. Start by googling "red beans and rice recipe", "frijoles recipe" and "arroz recipe". Go from there.

>> No.5533657

I eat chicken breast almost every day. I buy frozen-in bulk at Costco though. It's 1.99/lb. If you want even cheaper protein/$ then go with chicken thighs. Bone in chicken thighs are like .99 cent/lb and skinless boneless thighs are 1.30-1.50/lb. Also in Costco I get all my vegetables frozen. Why? Because you would not believe how many dollars the average person wastes on spoiled and rotten foods that get thrown out.

So yeah, buy in bulk, buy frozen, and use plenty of filler in your meals. Chili, stews, casseroles, stir fries etc are good ways to spread out your meats.

>> No.5533662

>>5533551
you can buy the straight egg whites for pretty cheap too, they come in a carton.
I crack one egg into a 1 cup measure, beat, then add in additional egg whites to fill the cup.

It ends up being like 10-15c more to do it like this but it saves me time.

>> No.5533675

>>5533662
Oh man those liquid egg whites are vile. I tried to eat them cooked and they trigger my gag reflex.