[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 170 KB, 790x953, IfCookieDoughNoExistIWillJustCurse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5521545 No.5521545 [Reply] [Original]

Hello. I'm European and I love Ben&Jerry's ice cream because of the cookie dough. I'll be visiting the US and have decided to cut out the middle man and go straight for the dough.
Which cookie dough brands taste the most like the one in Ben&Jerry and are there better ones?

>> No.5521553

>>5521545
I'm not too sure. To be honest, they probably use low grade dough since it'll be frozen anyway and there is very little difference in taste when it becomes that way. If anyone wants to experiment with separating the cookie dough from a pint and then baking them, that would be interesting. But I don't think the dough itself is anything particularly special.

Are you asking for brands of cookie dough or other brands that make cookie dough ice cream? I'm not too sure if you're planning to make your own or something like that.

>> No.5521570
File: 136 KB, 1254x884, img_3515.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5521553
It's brands of cookie dough.
That sounds very interesting, I could separate the dough from the ice cream and try but I don't know what it's supposed to taste like otherwise.
But if it's not anything in particular I'm happy to hear that because then it can't go wrong.

I think I found the recipe though. Although I would prefer it in a tube like on TV.

½ cup (1,18 dl) butter in room temperature
1/4 cup (0,6 dl) sugar
1/3 cup (0,75 dl) brown sugar
1 big egg
½ tea spoon vanilla extract
1 cup (2,37 dl) plus 2 teaspoons of flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2,37 dl) semisweet chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips if they are available)
½ cup (1,18 dl) chopped, wallnuts

>> No.5522241

>>5521570
just keep in mind that if you're making that recipe you're eating raw egg—which is fine to do if everything's fresh and high quality but I wouldn't go fishing around in the back of your fridge for one. According to google, Ben and Jerry's uses pasteurized eggs.

As for brands, I'm pretty sure just the generic pillsbury's shit at the grocery store will be pretty spot-on taste wise, but again you have raw egg in there so it's not really recommended for consumption... or at least my mom would always scold me for eating it

>> No.5522315

According to some stupid vegan website, you can substitute starch+water or oil for egg.

Vegetable Oil
(1/4 cup = 1 egg)
Cornstarch
(1 tablespoon of Cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons of Water = 1 egg)
Soy flour
(1 heaping tablespoon of soy flour + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg)

>> No.5522507

One of my college roommates would dig into a roll of Pillsbury cookie dough with a spoon whenever a boy made her cry. She kept an emergency supply in the fridge at all times.

If a southern sorority girl uses it to numb her emotions, I bet that's the one to go with.

>> No.5522559

>>5521545
Cookie dough in the tube is stored...for a long time...months. I know people do eat it raw, but I wouldn't suggest any product that isn't canned to be consumed without heating. What is used in ice cream is obviously safe. If you simply must eat it raw, make your own dough, with raw pasteurized eggs, chill it, and enjoy! Just bake the rest, you could get a tummyache eating too much :P