[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 367 KB, 1024x1024, picky-eater1-1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5509228 No.5509228 [Reply] [Original]

what is it about picky eaters that annoys people so much?

its their body and their food
what's the fucking problem?

>> No.5509235

Most picky eaters just eat junk food

>> No.5509236

>OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

>> No.5509238

It's mainly a social thing. If you're eating with some friends, the less different foods you eat, the lower is the chance that there'll be something you like.
And if there is only food you don't like, you stay hungry; the cook thinks their cooking is bad; the host thinks they made a bad decision; and everyone feels guilty or weird because you're not fitting in.
And all that sucks.

>> No.5509239

If they are my kid and they are not eating what's cooked for supper then I have a problem. Also , who would want to date /marry one and put up with all the "I can't eat there, or there, or there"

>> No.5509240

i have to succumb

>> No.5509244

Because a lot of the times people are picky about food for bad reasons. Like, your mom 10 years ago made you eat it and subconsciously this created an aversion to the food you're eating.

Or that you've never tried it but think it has a weird appearance or is from a cuisine you're unfamiliar with. It annoys me because I can't fathom why people would limit themselves from something they do multiple times a day, and rationalize it as normal behavior

>> No.5509248

The only thing that bothers me is people who don't eat their pizza crusts.

>> No.5509254

>>5509228

It's more general annoyance. They are a nuisance interrupting regular life with their irrational preferences. But it is just annoyance, most people don't think they should be systematically executed or anything. I mean I've seen some people on /ck/ who do but that isn't indicative of how people IRL feel.

I don't mind picky eaters at all when they are considerate and bring their own shit or make do with some side dish or something on the kid's menu at the restaurant everyone else wants to go to. The only picky eaters I hate are the ones that attempt to divert everyone's plans because they can't smell meat cooking or that they don't eat anything from a certain restaurant and we ask them where they DO eat and it is inevitably only mcdonalds and if we are lucky, applebees.

I admit that I would be hard pressed to consider dating anyone who was like that because over time that would really suck.

>> No.5509260

>>5509228
>what's the fucking problem?
Eating with them is a chore. Cooking for them is a nightmare. And picky adults look mighty childish, so it becomes difficult to respect them.

>> No.5509262

you are asking 4chan, 4CHAN, a place full of people who are so desperate to balance their inferiority complexes that they are willing to practice elitism in the most minute of things, because reduction and hatred of others is the only way to avoid an existential breakdown.

>> No.5509289

>>5509262
>because reduction and hatred of others is the only way to avoid an existential breakdown.
naw, dude. it's just lulzy

>> No.5509301
File: 69 KB, 600x399, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5509236
When she tried to eat the Brussels sprout I fucking lost it

>> No.5509310

>>5509254
Pretty much this, I guess I just feel embarrassed for them. And I don't like eating with them, and I would never date one. They're just basically inferior people, like people that only listen to one genre of music.

>> No.5509314

>Host bbq
>Wheres the vegetarian option, like a veggie burger?
>There's already salad with vinegrette
>I could grill some tofu for you
>Ew no thanks
>She continues to eat chips and snacks and little salad
She's not even religious. She converted to be healthier. Non-relig Vegetarians are the worst.

>> No.5509324

>>5509314
Ehhh, a proper vegetarian diet can be healthy, but the ones that just eat snacks and shit really annoy m.

>> No.5509326

>>5509254
Speak for yourself, as far as I'm concerned they should be herded into camps and gassed.

>> No.5509566

I don't know, but when I took my girl to an Asian restaurant last week and she asked for "teriyaki chicken without the teriyaki" I wanted to beat her.

>> No.5509576

Many people dislike picky eaters for a number of reasons but if I had to guess I would say that the #1 reason is because they're massive faggots

>> No.5509582

It annoys me so much because picky eaters leave a lot leftovers on their plates.

>> No.5509593

>>5509228

the problem is that it's offensive to say "eew" at everything.
second problem is "their body and their food" is a very selfish attitude.

A good person would easily be able to avoid being picky. Simply say to yourself "you know, i can't go my whole life eating only nuggets..."

And then try some artichoke. Gross.
Try it again. Meh.
Try it again. Hmm....
Try it again. Not bad.
Try it again and again - you love artichoke. Welcome, to the Real World.

If you're not willing to work on yourself to avoid inconvenecing others, you are a terrible person. I know a lady that has gluten allergy, she never mentions it and obviously never gets to eat...

But she's not going to fucking go around making people make her different food because shes special.

And this lady would DIE if she ate it. You - you're not gonna fucking die. Shut the fuck up and finish what I made, otherwise you're not eating at all!!

And don't ask me for money to get mcdonalds, either. If you don't finish what's in front of you - you're staying hungry, buddy.
> and the above is also something you should be saying to YOURSELF. little cunt.

>> No.5509609

I'm annoyed by picky eaters when they say they don't like something because:
1. They never tried it (most infuriating)
2. They way it looks (within reason obviously)
3. The texture
I had an ex who I could pretty much narrow her diet down to different styles I chicken and pasta. I come from a big fishing family and needless to say it was very difficult to cook meals with her because we were always cooking the same things. She wouldn't touch seafood. Red meat was the occasional burger and strangely she loved ribs. The only vegetables she would eat were in a salad. I will try just about anything short of second harvest and and when I asked her to try things she would refuse with "I don't think I like it." Well try it. It's annoying because it's something that they might love and are missing out on and won't just take the tiniest daring step to go outside their comfort zone. It's a bad personality trait. This is just personal experience but feel free to weigh it.

>> No.5509610

>>5509301
To be fair brussels sprouts are gross

>> No.5509626

>>5509228
>what is it about picky eaters that annoys people so much?
Because more often than not they're fucking rude as hell, and nobody feels like catering to their special snowflake demands.

>> No.5509627

>>5509248
I'm not a picky eat but I typically don't eat the pizza crusts because I don't think the extra bread is worth the bland taste. Admittedly it's a really dumb reason but it's just a habit I can't shake. I'll finish like a Pizza Hut crust or something but then it just so much worse for you haha

>> No.5509884

>>5509610
It's time the human race just straight up admitted that brussel sprouts are shit.

That doesn't make that shit any less bizarre.

>> No.5509890

>>5509593
>If you keep being made to engage in an activity you will eventually be coerced into enjoying it.

Shit son, that's pretty rapey.
Or at least stockholm syndromy.

>> No.5509897

▲

>> No.5509918

>>5509289

not when you guys get so angry at people you risk a damn stroke.

>> No.5509946

>>5509890

a little less than half of women experience orgasm during rape, and many go on to seek out that experience again later

I'm not sure what the problem is?

>> No.5509955

>>5509228
because more often than not their logic is fucking retarded.
"i know i won't like it even though i have never tasted it"

>> No.5509956

>>5509946
Mind citing a source for that? Other than 4chan

>> No.5509975
File: 144 KB, 960x640, lkNiK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5509956
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/193e3x/iama_sexual_assault_therapist_discussing_when

>> No.5509982

I cook for my friends when they come over

It's a pain in the ass to have to cook for manchildren

it's not like I'm making foie gras here but some people are so fucking picky

>> No.5509983

>>5509228
Because they often expect other people to cater to their bullshit.

>> No.5509991

>>5509956
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/science-arousal-during-rape

>> No.5509994

>>5509975
When I asked for a source other than 4chan, I didn't really mean another forum. Keep trying, though

>> No.5509998

>>5509994
see>>5509991

>> No.5510004

It's evidence of mental illness

>> No.5510011

>>5509994

it's a pretty well known fact, but if you want to slap trigger warnings all over everything in life, good luck with that.

>> No.5510022

>>5510004
I wouldn't say it is a full blown mental illness such as homosexuality, but it is certainly signs of an early chemical imbalance that could lead to further mental illness down the road.

>> No.5510024

>>5509610
>>5509884
Fuck off brussel sprouts are delicious.
>Steamed with cottage cheese

>> No.5510025

>>5509946
>a little less than half of women experience orgasm during rape

i am a grill and this just turned me on.

oh damn well.

>> No.5510039

>>5510024
no, they aren't, you can make them delicious by hiding their own taste though

>> No.5510046
File: 150 KB, 578x398, 1343524333433.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5510022
This.

>> No.5510060

>>5509228
I don't really care unless they just flat out refuse to try it. Nigga, how the fuck you know you dont like it if you've never had it before?

Not eating it based on its texture I can understand and accept. Appearance I sort of accept, I personally dont really give a shit what it looks like provided it tastes good.

>> No.5510066

>>5510060
Nigger*

>> No.5510082

>>5510066
nigger doesnt roll off the tongue as well.

>> No.5510089

>>5509228
Besides being childish and close-minded, it makes being social with them a pain in the ass when you're picking a place to eat at
>"hey there's a new sushi place that opened up, wanna head over and try it?"
>"nope, don't like sushi"
>"fair enough, wanna try out that fancy Italian restaurant down on 9th street?"
>"If we do I'm only going to get the burger"
>"that's such a waste of money and who even goes to Italian places for a burger?"
>"that's why I don't go there, anyway."
>"I suppose the Mediterranean place is out of the question, then..."
>"no way, yuck! let's go to Denny's again, I love their $9.50 double bacon cheeseburger and they put all their veggies on the side of the plate so I don't have to eat them."
>"we went to Denny's last time we went out to a restaurant..."
>"yeah but the nachos had sour cream and lettuce and shit, we're not going to get that appetizer this time if they can't make it without them."

And God forbid you want anything besides cheese and meat on a large pizza you're sharing to cut down on the costs at a pizza place.

>> No.5510091

I was really picky as a kid

Now im suicidal and hate my life

>> No.5510098

>>5510089
>>"that's such a waste of money and who even goes to Italian places for a burger?"

see, you could have gone and had a fine time with your friend but instead you pick at their choice like it's yours to make.

>> No.5510344

>>5509228
Boo hoo. Some people don't like the same food as you. I don't like Foie Gras. I tried Foie Gras. I tried it on Beef Wellington. I tried it with scrambled eggs. I tried frying it with some veg and chicken for fajitas and I still just cannot stand the texture or taste of liver. I simply don't like liver. Are you going to start throwing a tantrum now that I'm picky and I don't like liver, OP?

>> No.5510358

>>5509610
>Look at this faggot
>He's never braised Brussel sprouts with garlic and parmesan

>> No.5510378

>>5510358
it's the garlic and parmesan that tastes good, not the brusselsprouts

>> No.5510386

>>5509248
The purpose of the crust was to be a handle.
Not to be eaten

>> No.5510399
File: 10 KB, 275x275, image001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you put on white rice?

>> No.5510402

>>5509946

>/ck/

>> No.5510404

>>5509248
I work at pizza hut and sometimes people make a pizza and only eat the crusts and none of the pizza

>> No.5510410

>>5510404
are you retarded or something?
if they eat the crust, they eat a part of the pizza

>> No.5510412

>>5510025
No one asked cunt!

>> No.5510413

>>5509235
I find it interesting that picky eaters and paranoid eaters eat the exact opposite stuff.

>> No.5510426

You have enough space in your kitchen

And I don't mean "outer" space

>> No.5510437

>>5509248
That's what dips are for.

>> No.5510487

I'm a picky eater when it comes to textures and I fucking hate it. I just can't help it though, some things are so bad to me that I gag, and have puked ( not in public thank god). I hardly eat mushrooms because of the texture, but they're so god damn delicious tasting.

>> No.5510557

>>5509248
>The only thing that bothers me is people who don't eat their pizza crusts.
I only do this if I'm at a buffet.

>> No.5510590

>>5509228
/v/ here. It's the same thing with watching other people play video games and getting upset with how poorly they're playing.

If people only touch half their plate, I get frustrated watching all that extra food content go to waste when it should be going to waist.

Now, if my friends just won't try new things, I don't invite them to restaurants. I'll tell them to eat before coming out with me because I'm not going to that local restaurant with no parking because they don't want to try anything other than this house stake that they only eat well-done. Seriously, what the fuck, Jacob? You're ruining our friendship.

>> No.5510601

>its their body and their food
If that's all it were about then there would be no problem.

The reason we know they're picky eaters is because they put up a fuss in public or with friends and family, and that's bullshit. Everyone has something they don't really like. Normal people just suck it up and deal with it if they're served something they don't like. Picky eaters want to be special snowflakes. They haven't learned to be adults yet.

>> No.5510619

>>5509228
Because picky eaters are most of the time faggots who don't like most vegetables, mushrooms, fish, certain sauces. Usually because their parents were shit cooks and made macaroni and cheese and hambergler heper every night.

So things like asparagus with hollandaise seem like some sort of alien food, or would rather have meat lathered in ketchup or cheese than a pan reduction sauce from wine/cream.

picky eaters who don't like to eat junk food is another story. Most meals you cook should be healthy anyways unless you like deep fat frying everything in lard.

Vegetarians should again be easy to deal with, if you side dishes are so boring they cant be a meal in their own right that's your own fault.

>> No.5510620

>>5510590
Wow holy shit this post sucks.

>> No.5510632

>>5510619
There are very few vegetarians I would describe as picky eaters. Because they avoid meat they generally have to expand their food horizons quite a bit, so they pretty much like most any non-meat ingredient. Vegetarians I can work with. I like making vegetarian meals. Vegans and picky eaters, not so much.

>> No.5510639

>>5510399
Raw egg and a dash of soy sauce

>> No.5510650

>>5510632
I was friends with a vegetarian who would only eat pasta variants. Luckily, she ate veggies too. Also, although I would sometimes lose my patience with her about it, by the end it seemed like she was really branching out to try new things
>tfw teaching her how to brown meats, even if it was just tofu
>tfw getting her to admit to loving the smell of bacon
Almost curious to see how far she's gotten.

At the cost of a friendship, it might be worth it to let picky eaters know how shitty they are to cook/eat out with. Just for the sake of knowing you made a convert.

>> No.5510661

>>5510632
> I like making vegetarian meals. Vegans and picky eaters, not so much.

A vegan family member recently said she will no longer eat anything containing oil (added cooking oils or whatever, not stuff naturally containing oils... or something or whatever, fuck it), and she won't eat anything containing corn. Plenty of other additional random rules too.

Most people have decided they're done trying to cook for her.

>> No.5510686

>>5510344
>Are you going to start throwing a tantrum now that I'm picky and I don't like liver, OP?

No. I'm content to let you wallow in your shitty pleb taste.

>> No.5510747

>>5510025
pls be in london

>> No.5510750

>>5509610
only if boiled.
that;s how I had them first, straight up no salt boiled.

it was fucking awful.

>> No.5510832

>>5510344
what a punk bitch, i bet your dad didn't even take you out for some hot liver in the woods when you were a kid.

Probably because he was always too busy cheating on your slag mom.

>> No.5510869

Now there is a line to be drawn with picky eaters. I've been called one before, but I think I am not so bad because I can tolerate the foods I don't like, I just prefer to go without them unless I absolutely have to. However, the "extreme" picky eaters who only eat like 10 types of food get on my nerves so badly. They've psyched themselves out so much, they've literally made themselves physically ill with any other foods. Put them on an island for 3 days without food, then see how picky they are.

>> No.5510918
File: 123 KB, 670x479, 1392477465632.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a picky eater in the sense that I mostly like more plain food, and no fruit.

But the key is when I cook food for people in singles or in groups, no one avoids eating a part of what I cook.

Want nachos? I combine the chips with cheese and heat. No adding olives, peppers, ground beef, sour cream or salsa. You want salsa? Here is your very own bowl you can dip your chips in.

Want a burger? If I'm making a cheese burger you are getting a buttered bun (not mayo, that is not a replacement for butter) a cooked burger with a slice of cheese melted on it. I will ask if you want me to add some BBQ sauce to the burger so you can get the slightly cooked on sauce.

I'm not going to put a tomato on it, or a pickle, or lettuce, mustard, relish or fucking salad dressing on.
If I'm being fancy I might offer up bacon to make a cheese bacon burger.

I love salad, when I make a green salad you get crunchy vegetables and leafy vegetables.
No peppers, mushrooms, boiled eggs, cheese, avocado, olives, artichoke, oranges stuff like that.

If I cook macaroni and cheese I'm not going to dump a cup of milk into the finished product so you are stuck with macaroni milk soup, I won't add a cut up soft ball sized onion to 'fancy' it up. Pasta, cheese and if we are going all out some seasoned and browned ground beef.

What I put on a pizza? Meats and cheese. If you are getting pizza in a group, just adding what people want to one pizza doesn't accumulate into the perfect pizza. It just ruins it for everyone.

Asparagus goes nicely with a white sauce or a cheese sauce.
Corn in all it's formats seems best with salt and butter.

~

The main problem is that I think most people just don't like the food they cook so they are always trying to add most stuff to it. If you don't like the food at it's core, then adding extra stuff on top or beside it isn't going to fix the underlying problem.

Pic related: Bread, cheese and bacon.

>> No.5510919

>>5510412
damn, you're angry. too pent up from all that sex you're not having from the girlfriend you'll never have?

>> No.5510922

>>5510378

brussel sprouts have a unique texture though if cooked properly.

>> No.5510926
File: 36 KB, 720x720, 1393034349963.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5510437
>That's what dips are for.
You just blew my mind.

I never figured out why you would want a dip with your pizza. I tried the dip and always used it on the non crust part.
I always just ate the crust and that was that.

>> No.5510948

>>5510918
Anyone else see that face?

>> No.5510971

>>5510918
Tldr. The main problem is that you should shut the fuck up

>> No.5510982

>>5510971
>Tldr. The main problem is that you should shut the fuck up

Well on the balance the food I make, everyone will eat unless they are avoiding something like meat, or for an allergy.

What most of the wanabe cooking network chefs are cooking is an attempt to make food they don't really like better but adding a bunch of random junk.

>> No.5510996

>>5509946
Orgasm =/= consent

I laugh when I'm tickled. I hate being tickled.

>> No.5511006

>>5510918

I don't think I like you.

>> No.5511018

>>5510918

>The main problem is that I think most people just don't like the food they cook so they are always trying to add most stuff to it.

no, i just want a great variety of flavor and texture.

also, eventually i will get bored of eating the same plain shit over and over and over.

>> No.5511063
File: 213 KB, 550x733, 1370740351030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5511018
>no, i just want a great variety of flavor and texture.
And it's my opinion that most dishes have reached an acceptable final stage in their conventional form for people that actually like the food. But we have a huge market of people that don't like the food they eat and they are always trying to improve on it.

This leads to a backlash against 'picky eaters' that are actually very happy with the dishes they normally have, by people that just don't like anything very much.

>also, eventually i will get bored of eating the same plain shit over and over and over.
How does this disprove my theory about people not liking the food they cook so they try to change it up?

Given the economics of cooking for one I tend to have the same meal a few days in a row. I've never cooked myself a meal that I didn't at least like a lot. Most of the time I'm eating my favorite foods what more could you ask for?

>> No.5511119

>>5510399
Brown rice vinegar, tamari, mirin and spring onions

>> No.5511126

my brother only eats pizza or hot winngs or chicken tenders.
god help you if you try to feed him anything else.
he lives at my parents andthe fridgeis stocked with frozen pizza. and the trashcan full of wingstop boxes.

>> No.5511132

>>5509314
>make blackbean burger
>just grilling it outside
>neighbor comes by
> aww shit making some burgers anon
>you know it mang want some
>fuck yes i do
>he gets one
>his wife gets one
>his kids get one
>give one to the mailman
>none ofthem know these burgers are made out of beans

>> No.5511155

>>5511132
sounds interesting. recipe?

>> No.5511173
File: 9 KB, 363x199, 1185633_692381930791025_1095611884_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite thing is when they bitch about what you make, but sit on their asses demanding you cater to what they want. You don't want meat and peppers in your chili? Then make your own, its that simple. They act like everyone is obliged to cater to their limited palate like a child. Children normally are picky eaters and grow out of it, but if you don't grow out of it at some point then you need to learn to cook for yourself. If you don't like something, cool, just don't be a bitch about it and make everyone miss out.

>> No.5511181

>>5511155
Recipe please. My bean burgers are always dry and crumbly.

>> No.5511258

When people find other people doing things differently they experience a feeling of insecurity about the way they do things.

Not just with food.

>> No.5511272

>>5509248
I'm ok when my gf does it.
This way I can eat her crust.

>> No.5511289
File: 1.69 MB, 139x215, What is this new wonder.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5511132
>he gets one
>his wife gets one
>his kids get one
>give one to the mailman

What kind of idyllic 1950s american suburbia do you live in?

>> No.5511307

>Move out
>Mom is now alone with my little sister.
>She won't eat anything.
>My mom can't cook what she wants because my sister will bitch and whine.
>Cooking skills slowly eroding from only being allowed to make soup, chicken, noodles, and lasagna.
>Won't even try new things. Or old things that she never bothered to fucking taste.

The problem with picky eaters is that they inflict their bullshit on others.

>> No.5511313

>>5509593
I can eat nearly anything but I can never manage to keep down sushi. I've given it so many fucking tries and something about it just makes me gag. It really sucks because I used to be a huge fucking weeaboo and I've taken a shitload of Japanese classes but I always look like some white faggot when I eat sushi. I usually opt for like tonkatsu because of this. My girlfriend also likes sushi and she laughs at me when I can't bring myself to swallow it.

>> No.5511327

>>5511313
I can only handle the "white boy" sushi.

California Roll, Dynamite Roll, then I usually get Chicken Teriyaki, Tonkatsu, that kinda thing.

I went on a date to a super nice japanese restaurant and I just couldn't fucking keep it down. Its massive chunks of raw fish and I couldn't do it.

She was cool about it though, we went and got fucking Big Mac's afterwards which was nice.

>> No.5511342

>>5511272
gross, dude.

>> No.5511343

>>5511342
If I can eat her pussy, I can eat her crusts.

>> No.5511344

I am only picky with condiments.
only condiment i like is barbecue sauce, and i use it for every dipping and salad situation.

Am i a pleb?

>> No.5511348
File: 7 KB, 184x184, spaghtt2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Homo Sapiens are omnivores via evolution.
Picky eaters belie this evolutionary advance.
Which means in tough times they will not survive.
It's annoying to cater to someone who in essence should be dead.

>> No.5511380
File: 72 KB, 960x720, why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's honestly second hand embarassment

I get so tired of people being like "SIGH...I just DON'T like that. How can you eat that? it's gross!" etc etc

for instance, my partner hates tuna and broccoli and cauliflower. We cannot eat these things in a meal despite dat tuna protein and delicious steamed broccoli. It really gets on my nerves

"Tuna is GROSS! If you're going to open that shit, let me know so I can leave the room."

this is coming from a person that eats fucking ramen noodles on white untoasted bread.

"I don't like broccoli and cauliflower. I don't want to eat little trees"

I just want to slap the shit out of him. It's infuriating that I have to leave prime ingredients out of shit because he wants to be a picky manchild. Know what I don't like? Onions and peppers. Why? Because I'm allergic to them but suck it the fuck up and eat them sometimes

I personally don't like nuts in my desserts. I'm very plain when it comes to dessert and I like it as plain as can be. I don't really enjoy having something simple like a cake, pie, or slice, filled with 100 different fruits, nuts, etc. Hand me a chocolate or caramel or tart or something and I'm happy.

>> No.5511385

>>5511344
Ewe on salad? That bizarre and unappealing.

>> No.5511392

>>5511380
In your partner's defense, i like tuna, and even I can allow for the fact it has a VERY powerful aroma. I can imagine how bad that would be for someone that hated it.

My mother is borderline super-smeller, and she has problems eating anything with odors that bother her, or other people eating them. Raw onions? She can't even eat anything that was prepared in the same area because she can taste/smell it (supersmellers tend to be able to taste at a higher level as well, since taste and smell are connected to a degree)

>> No.5511393

>>5511385
if it can go on to the vegetables in my burger, it can go on a salad too

>> No.5511394

I considered myself a picky eater until I read this thread and saw that I don't meet any of the criteria you people have set for being one.

1: I'm not rude about my tastes. In fact, I'll do everything in my power to try to blend in with what everyone else is doing. Family or friends are eating food I don't like and I'm expected to join in? I'll force myself to eat as much as I can, politely decline the food by saying I recently ate and am full, or some combination of the two - eating as much as I can up to the point I feel my gag reflex triggering, then say I'm full. No biggie; everything keeps progressing normally and no one's any the wiser - or if they are, they realize, "Oh, she just put herself through a negative experience for the sole purpose of trying to make us happy and comfortable. I see no reason to bitch about this."

2: I don't complain about how food tastes until I've tasted it. I'll always try food before judging it.

3: Same goes for looks: I don't judge food based on its appearance. Chocolate fondue, for example, looks like shit but tastes like heaven.

4: Due to growing up with a father who was strict about always finishing what's on my plate, I almost never have any leftovers on my plate - and when I do, I always either finish them or give 'em to someone else who wants 'em. Yes, that includes things like pizza crusts, which I'm sure many of you throw away without a second thought.

>> No.5511396

>>5511394

5: I don't ask people to cater to my tastes: I acquiesce to what others feel like. Though this ties in with the 1st, it's a little different, and I keep seeing people posting outlandish greentext stories of the absolute worst types of picky eaters, as if they represent 100%, or even the majority, of picky eaters. I've had my fair share of picky eater friends, but not a single one, myself included, was ever as bad as >>5509314 , >>5510089 or so on. Wanna go eat at Chili's? Yeah, let's go for it. Some local, fancy dining place? Sounds great. Any fast food joint? Absolutely. While I strongly dislike the taste of some things to the point that they can literally make me vomit, I'll use common sense to simply order things from these restaurants that I DO enjoy. Personally, I'd find it hard to believe someone if they said, "I hate everything this restaurant offers." ... Really? EVERYthing..? Including all the shit on the menu you've never tried in your life? Yeah, I call bullshit.

Non-picky eaters in this thread seem unable to put themselves in the shoes of "picky eaters." Do you think we WANT so many types of food to taste so awful that they literally trigger our gag reflex after a few swallows? Obviously, we don't; it would be much more convenient if I could just enjoy everything.

>> No.5511397

>>5511396

I don't dislike food to spite you. I dislike it because the chemicals in the food send signals to my brain using my taste buds as a conduit, which causes extreme sensations of displeasure. It's so simple, yet the majority of you seem completely unable to relate to this. "Almost everything I eat tastes good to me, and that which tastes bad, I can tolerate." That's good for you, but not all of us are the same way. Different people have different thresholds and, obviously, have far more sensitive taste buds than other people - basic tests using PTC taste strips prove this. I thought it was common knowledge these days that about 50% of people are "normal tasters," about 25% have dull taste buds and about 25% are "supertasters," but I guess not. Well: now you know.

Quoting someone else, "When I went to high school (this was in the 1960s) one of my science teachers passed the strips out to everyone in our class of perhaps 20 to 25 students. As I recall, most of the students reacted to the bitter taste by "acting out" melodramatically. One or two of us had no reaction at all since the strips didn't taste bitter to us.

I recently ran across an article by UK Kim and D Drayna in "Clinical Genetics" about the PTC gene, "a member of the T2R family of bitter taste receptor genes. It exists in seven different allelic forms, although only two of these, designated the major taster and major non-taster forms, exist at high frequency outside sub-Subharan Africa.

>> No.5511400

>>5511397

The non-taster allele resides on a small chromosal region identical by descent, indicating that non-tasters are descended from an ancient founder individual, and consistent with an origin of the non-taster allele preceding the emergence of modern humans out of Africa."

There is a wealth of information online about PTC (phenylthiocarbamide), it's accidental discovery by a DuPont chemist, Arthur Fox in 1931, genes, alleles and natural selection. Just "google it:" ptc +taster

One more quote, "I have never been very fond of certain vegetables such as broccoli and asparagus. As a child, my mother often served them to me and gave me grief for complaining about them. After learning about "super tasters" and that those people who have a certain gene can taste various vegetables as bitter, I decided to order these strips and see if I was one of those people. I put one of the strips on my tongue and I found it to be very bitter and it left a strong aftertaste. Later on, I gave one to my 75 year old mother and she tasted nothing. She said it tasted like paper. That tells me that; 1) I inherited the taste gene from my father and 2) she likes these various vegetables I mentioned because they do not taste bitter to her."

>> No.5511401

>>5511400

And this sums up my experiences perfectly. One of my earliest memories from my childhood is trying pepperoni pizza for the first time. To me, the pepperoni tasted so "hot" and "spicy" that I really needed a glass of water, while my parents and neighbor's parent laughed at how spicy it seemed to be to me. I'm glad that my taste buds have changed enough over the decades that they no longer taste like they set my mouth on fire - now, they're simply flavorful to me. But not everything is like that. Lettuce still leaves an extremely strong, bitter, highly unpleasant taste in my mouth. Meanwhile, I'm sure many of you are just like my parents and will gladly claim, "Lettuce HAS no taste!" with the implied afterthought being, "Stop making up complaints just to annoy me! Conform to my preferences; otherwise, you make me uncomfortable!"

>> No.5511402

>>5511401

TL;DR When a picky eater has no effect on you - for example, yes, they're a picky eater, but they're keeping it to themself, going along with you to whatever restaurants you want, not demanding that you cook anything special for them, etc. - then why should you bitch and whine about it? The only children I see here are ones who are so insecure that the thought of someone else not liking what they like throws them into a rage. Maybe the problem isn't people who physically cannot stand the tastes of certain foods without throwing up. Maybe the real problem here is intolerance of people who aren't causing you any harm, other than at a basic, "They don't like what I like: that makes them deplorable!" level. If that's the case: maybe you should work harder on not hating people for irrational reasons, rather than demanding that people physically alter their bodies (tongues, taste buds) for you.

>> No.5511412

Yeah I dislike them too, they're without fail plebs with regards to other things too (musics, film, literature). Generally unintelligent and uninteresting people.

>> No.5511784

>>5510091
I wasn't picky as a kid

Now I'm suicidal and hate my life.

There doesn't seem to be a correlation.

>> No.5511788

>>5509228
>what is it about picky eaters that annoys people so much?

Typical, "everyone needs to be in my clan. everyone that isn't needs to die, because they are a threat to my way of life and my continued genetics" evolutionary response to people with different traits of any kind including personality. It is the same thing that causes race wars, religious wars, and fan wars between shitty TV shows.

>> No.5511866

>>5511401
I think most people are aware that a percentage of the population finds some green vegetables very bitter tasting, and boldly flavored foods overpowering. That's fine, because as an adult no one is going to make you eat broccoli or Vindaloo. You can even avoid cilantro if you like.

But there are picky eaters who simply decided sometime in childhood they didn't like certain foods, and held on to those preferences into adulthood. I'm talking commonplace shit, like onions, mushrooms, peas or eggplant.

My mother is one of those. She was never a bitch about, and never demanded others accommodate her food prejudices. She didn't come around on eggplant until she was in her 70's. She always a perfectly adequate cook, but the food I grew up with seemed pretty boring compared to that of my Italian neighbors. But my brother (who eats everything now) was even more picky than my mom, so there was little change of anything really interesting hitting the table at home.

Now my nieces are picky - one won't touch seafood, and the other is terrified of most vegetables, mushrooms and beans. This drives my poor sister nuts, because it severely limits the kinds of meals she can make for her family.

Picky eaters are only a pain when someone else has to accommodate them. Because accommodating them takes some of the pleasure out of meals for everybody else. And when you step on someone's pleasure they'll resent you for it.

Also, the spectacle of watching an adult push every bit of vegetable matter off to the side of their place is about as dignified as wearing a sailor suit, skipping down the street licking a lollipop.

>> No.5511992

>>5509228
My girlfriend is a picky eater. Going out to eat with her is a chore, because whenever I pick something, she usually has some snide comment about it. That's all well and good, I've known a lot of women that were picky eaters...it seems to be a mostly female trait, and I can deal with it.

What pisses me off is she has the nerve to act like she has some superb pallet, which makes her more choosy, when reality is that she simply grew up with parents that gave her the option to not eat things she didn't like when she was kid, thus never growing out of her, "I don't want that, it's icky" phase.... FUCKING TACO CABANA, JACK IN THE BOX EATING CUNT, YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME!?

Anyway, I wouldn't really care if she wanted to be picky, but don't be a snobby bitch about it.

>> No.5512010

>>5511992
Things like this make me want to be gay.

>> No.5512021

>>5509228
Look at her face.
Look at her fucking face.
God damn it if I had a kid and it made that face at my cooking I'd take a fucking belt to her, then force her to sit her ass down and eat the goddamn meal.
If she doesn't like it, fine, call CPS and get taken off to get raped a dozen times a day, see f I care.

>> No.5512038

>>5511992
>My girlfriend is a picky eater.
I'm an adventurous eater, and I dated a picky eater once. Never again. Having your romantic interest drain the pleasure from most meals starts off being tiresome, then eventually becomes infuriating. Because for many women it's just a way for them to be Princess Special Snowflake.

Young women will avoid foods they think are icky. I knew one woman who ate meat at almost every meal, but couldn't stand the sight of bones because they were icky. As women age they read more magazines, and start demanding low fat or gluten free shit because Oprah or Dr Phil said so. The worst of them demand organic and cruelty free labels - those are the new Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana.

I know many women are supertasters, and some even have legit celiac. But for too many food is just another arena for them to be high maintenance.

>> No.5512040

>>5512021
When I was young I was never forced to eat anything i didn't like, but I had to at least try it. If I truly didn't like it, that was OK, so long as I wasn't being a little shit about it.

As it turns out, most things I like with a few exceptions. I despise beans, all kinds (something about the texture I just can't get past). I don't particularly like potatoes, and raw tomatoes just raise hell with heartburn for me.

Aside from those few things, I like just about everything.

>> No.5512047

>>5512038
>couldn't stand the sight of bones
I really don't get this. I never saw this when I was growing up. I mean, it's fucking meat, for christsake!! It came from an animal. It's what we fucking eat. Anyone that much of a squeamish pussy has literally lost all survival instinct and probably should not pass on their genes.

>> No.5512058

>>5511307
How old is she? If she is old enough to cook for herself then just make food that you like and if she wont eat it she can just fuck off.

>> No.5512069

>>5512047
To be fair, it's kind of a hassle trying to de-bone your dinner at the table.

>> No.5512072

>>5511307
That's easy. Cook as usual. She's either going to get very hungry, or she will broaden her tastes.

>> No.5512076

>>5512040
When I first hooked up with the girl who eventually became my wife she claimed she didn't like beans, mushrooms, cabbage, nuts, cumin, Mexican food and Indian food. I told her that was fine, but it was going to have no effect on what I ate or how I cooked. Her character flaws were her business, not mine.

Within a year of dating she'd pretty much come around on all of those foods. Now years later she'll sit down to a meal and say something like, "This is delicious, but it would have scared the shit out of me as a kid."

>> No.5512078

>>5512069
In some situations, yes. I was thinking of bone in steak (cut around it) or say a chicken drumstick (built in handle). I was referring to the sort of people who are icked out if there is any reminder whatsoever on their plate that they are actually eating meat.

>> No.5512079

>>5509236

>I don't want people to know how much I'm consuming

Yeah, her slender frame isn't a dead giveaway

>> No.5512084

>>5509236

Does this show just show people who are "freaky eaters" or do they help them?

>> No.5512095

>>5512076
Definitely not that limited. I just don't seem to be able to palate any foods that are soft or pasty. My mom tells me that once I moved to solid foods, long before I even was able to speak, I didn't even like them; so I assume it's something pretty deeply built in to me.

For the most part I am adventurous as fuck with what I'll try or eat. When traveling abroad I absolutely love hitting the local street vendors to check out the local specialties.

>> No.5512100

>>5512095
I'll tell you flat out the single food that took the longest to turn her around on was fava beans. That actually took several years and a trip to North Africa.

>> No.5512116

>>5512100
For the most part my proclivity has not been much of a burden. I'm a Type1 diabetic, so I try to avoid anything carb heavy anyways, and both my wife and I cook accordingly. It boils down (no pun intended) to eating a diet heavy in meat and certain vegetables, and being very light on the beans, starches, pastas, etc. Deserts are obviously a rare, very rare, treat.

>> No.5512117

>>5510344

I think it's more about standard things like onions, vegetables in general and all that and not some fancyshmancy "It's expensive so it must be good!" food.

>> No.5512142

>>5511380
>"Tuna is GROSS! If you're going to open that shit, let me know so I can leave the room."

It does smell like catfood though, at least canned tuna. But man, if it isn't the bomb, dude

>> No.5512147

I guess I count as a picky eater because I don't eat intestines and I don't eat chicken; the latter out of believe. I just can't even though I know how delicious it is and how I crave it from time to time

>> No.5512168

>>5512076

As long as you weren't pushy that's cool. I can't eat sandwiches, they make me want to throw up when I try to eat them. Tried them at 4, 18,22, and 24. Instant gagging every time.

I tell people these stories, and they tell me they want me to try x sandwich.

>>5511380
Also canned tuna is fucking gross. The only acceptable tuna is raw tuna in wasabi and soy sauce.

>> No.5512177

>ctrl f poor
> nada

I know it irks me because my family grew up pretty poor, and the idea that somebody would actually turn their nose up at food kills me. Oh, you don't like shrimp? Well that's nice, the only seafood my family could afford were occasional expired fishsticks. You "can't" eat that burger cause you're vegan? Fuck you, I (and a bunch of skinnies in Africa) would kill for a burger. So even now I make good money, I will eat literally anything put in front of me, and I never, ever throw food away.

>> No.5512197

>>5509301
that image grinds my autism - diet coke won't make you fat - eating 10kcal a day while gulping it down with diet coke does.

>> No.5512198

>>5510661

Fuck her.

Let the bitch starve, or cook for herself.

>> No.5512205
File: 18 KB, 800x533, 1294518385748.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>It's mainly a social thing.

Exactly. I know no adult would put up with my shit, and why should they? Without friends, I'm free to cook what I like and not bother anyone.

>> No.5512206

>>5511126

He sounds like a fat virgin.

>> No.5512208

>>5512197
>grinds my autism
>10kcal a day

Are you doing this on purpose?

>> No.5512216

Boiled peas or similar literally make me hurl. And yes, literally is used correctly here.

Am I supposed to just hurl so I can go on not offending people?

>> No.5512220

>>5512208
>>5512197

I also caught this.

Pretty sure you'd starve in short order on 10 kcal per day

>> No.5512273

>>5510918
this is copypasta

>> No.5512736

It sickens me because people drop dead every day of starvation. It is a matter of principle; they are so lucky to have the food in front of them and they have grown so comfortable that they have the nerve to reject it.

However, I am fine with people rejecting beef tongue and haggis and whatever chink monstrosities are put forward (like duck fetuses dipped in mashed eyeballs).

>> No.5512750

>>5512736

Don't forget chinese boy-piss eggs!

>> No.5512940

I don't care about people's eating habits unless I have to eat with them or cook for them on a regular basis because then it starts to affect me. My best friend is pretty damn picky (almost no raw vegetables, no mushrooms, no fish, no eggs by themselves) and it can be really hard for us sometimes to compromise on where to go when we want to get food. His diet mostly consists of red meat, potatoes, cheese, and bread -- which is fucking delicious, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I just really want some sushi and the sight of the menu will make him gag. Ugh.

>> No.5512956

I don't like 'leafy' foods or fruit that much but will constantly get shit talked for being picky by people that act like a little bitch when they hear about someone eating seafood or offal.

Drives me up the fucking wall

>> No.5513011

/ck/ I need help, I'm an incredibly picky eater and I'm trying to expand my diet, I have the worst gag reflex imaginable and textures really get to me. I don't mind trying new flavors(I'll drink just about anything), its specifically texture and occasionally smell that will just make me gag. What are some foods with not a whole lot of texture that I can begin branching out to?

>> No.5513035

>>5509248

I never really understood that either. I always was a big bread eater though. In quebec, it's common for people to butter their crusts. Also, people eat fries with their pizza. I never encountered this anywhere else in Canada before moving here

>> No.5513149

>>5510918

You are so stupid it makes me angry.

>> No.5513164

>>5511132
so you normally give out dry as hell burgers to people so they didnt know the difference?

>> No.5513169

>>5510918
I certainly won't like the food you cook.

>> No.5513494

>>5512021
I think you're missing out on an even bigger problem:

Why the fuck is a girl that old still having her food fed to her by her parents?

>> No.5513512

>>5509228
they're low life people
no exceptions

>> No.5513580

>>5510918
I don't have the palate of a child.

>> No.5513583

>>5510982
You are extremely arbitrary in what you consider "random junk". According to you, meat and cheese is not random junk, but capsicum is. Have you ever made a margherita? Very few ingredients and no meat, but I guess that just means it's "complicated with random junk" to you.

>> No.5513594

>>5511063

>How does this disprove my theory about people not liking the food they cook so they try to change it up?

it's not that i don't like plain things, but i can only eat the same thing over and over for a short time before i want something different.

it's not a matter of dislike, but boredom over time.

>> No.5513602

>>5512177

same

chronic food wasters are scum

>> No.5513622

>>5512736
>and whatever chink monstrosities

there's really nothing 'monstrous' about most delicacies and offals, people only find it disgusting because its not ingrained in their cultural norm

In fact I would say I find it almost disgusting to waste these parts which can be very nutritious and tasty

>> No.5513721

>>5511063
>in their conventional form

You put bbq sauce on a burger by default while calling everything else weird and excessive. That's not conventional outside of Burger King's rodeo menu and TGI Fridays.

You wrote a fucking essay just to say "I don't like vegetables"

>> No.5513883
File: 44 KB, 300x350, assman approves.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5510619
>So things like asparagus

that reminds me

>go to a restaurant and eat some asparagus
>girlfriend's first time eating them in her life
>they weren't wild asparagus, but they were alright regardless
>we eat it up and she seems to enjoy it
>later at home I hear her screaming from the toilet
>"ANON, why does my piss smell so weird? DID YOU DRUG ME WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING?!?"
>mfw

dumb bitch. at least she admitted to mostly growing up on fast food and macaroni.

>> No.5513896

>>5509235

My friend is like this. Ever since she was little whenever she didn't like the look of something her mom would make her an alternative meal which would mostly be like baked potatoes cause she doesn't like boiled ones or other kinds.

Now she ate a lot of potato chips almost every day and crank coke as well. She is not hugely overweight now but getting there.

However it caused problems when deciding where to eat with friends. Anywhere other than fries and standard meat would not fit with her pleasing. She wouldn't make a fuss about it but it made us feel like we should at least pick something everyone likes.

Now a year ago she started getting stomach aches as fuck and her gallbladder had to be removed. She then was about 22 years old. She has to kick back on the fat food though it has only lessened a little, she did learn how to eat more veggies but simple shit still doesn't get through to her.

>> No.5513905

>>5510399

Apple sauce. Or just some soy sauce. When I was little I loved eating rice with apple sauce.

>> No.5513918

>>5513883
Wow.
>gf's first time eating a particular food
>that particular food affects the smell and appearance of urine more than most other foods
>she freaks out
>you call her a dumb bitch
What a lovely boyfriend you must be.

>> No.5513924

>>5513883

I remember another story

>pornstar about to do anal
>cleaned her shit everything
>mid way there red stuff coming out of her anus
>she thinks her insides got damaged and it is blood
>go check it int he bathroom
>nothing hurts so whatever
>producers are kind of freaking out
>they continue
>same shit happens, panic on set
>oh hey I ate beetroot the other day

>> No.5513935

>>5513918
I didn't really call her that, I just forget some people's idea of your average, everyday meal is a hamburger.

>> No.5513940

>>5513918
http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/

>> No.5513999

>>5512168
>As long as you weren't pushy that's cool.
I wasn't pushy; I was totally dismissive. She said beans made her gag. I told her that was all in her head, and if she wanted to hang on to it that was her business. I wasn't going to condone it, nor kowtow to it.

I wasn't pushy. I just ignored all of her nonsense about foods that she said made her gag, because I had no interest in dealing with any of that nonsense. Not my issue. And after a little while all of the "gaggy" foods became things she happily ate. (Except for fava beans, those took years).

That kind of shit is all in your head. It's not like the supertaster thing where lettuce will always taste horribly bitter to you no matter what you do.

>> No.5514384

>>5510399
butter, garlic powder, salt+pepper

>> No.5514389

>>5510996
if you were tickled til you orgasmed, you might not mind so much

>> No.5514396

>>5511393
can =/= should

>> No.5514846

>>5513999
So... You're saying you lack empathy and don't understand that other people's thoughts, feelings, and preferences are always valid even if you think they're stupid or "all in your head"? What a thoughtful person you must be.

>> No.5515082

>>5509228

I know you're trolling and I'm gonna let you finish but there's no greated disrespect than cooking for someone and having they say they won't eat "because they don't like it"

of all time!

>> No.5515091

>>5509228
>its their body
Yes
>and their food
WRONG! I'm the one that bought the materials and cook said food so when they act all picky about it I let them starve. I have zero tolerance for people that waste perfectly good food because they have some special snowflake syndrome. My sister used to dump her kids over at my house and I cooked for all of us. My slut niece is going through her teenage emo phase and she's trying to be unique by saying she won't eat what I cook unless I make her very specific things her loser friends eat. I told her to go suck dick on the street corner for nourishment because I'm not doing it. I let her starve a few visits while her siblings happily ate and such. She sorted her shit right quick and now she eats whatever I cook. Now hey if you have allergies or don't eat something because of religious reasons fair enough but don't tell me you're a picky eater because you want to be different and fit in with your clique.

>> No.5515103

>>5514389

the dissonance between the physical pleasure and feeling of being violated by force can cause a great amount of inner turmoil. that's the point.

it isn't a two-dimensional world where people can only feel one way about something all the time, or where an instance of pleasure completely nullifies any negative emotions about the whole event.

>> No.5515198

>>5512147
>I don't eat intestines
so no sausages ?

>> No.5515203

>>5509228
>what's the fucking problem?
i try to remove plens from my social circle

>> No.5515795

>>5510098
Using context clues, and not having autism, it sounds like their a couple and he would have to pay for it. Hence the "we're not going to get that appetizer." I would be pissed off too if I took someone as my guest, treating them to dinner, and they ordered an expensive fuckign burger they could have gotten somewhere else.

>> No.5515814

>>5509236
>american diet

>> No.5515878
File: 113 KB, 497x732, 1398580872099.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>work my ass off making red curry chicken for friends
>enter the fat manchild
>"wtf is that dude why does it smell like coconuts"
>turns 360 degrees and walks back to the living room
>eats all the salty bagged popcorn I had for snacks instead and then drinks all the coke because he was so thirsty
>then he smoked some of our pot without contributing and instantly fell asleep on the couch, then left as soon as he woke up a few hours later
>mfw

>> No.5515884

>>5515878
>turns 360 degrees and walks back to the living room
Well, you tried.

>> No.5515887

>>5515884
You must be new here. Welcome to 4chan!

>> No.5515979

>>5514846
>other people's thoughts, feelings, and preferences are always valid
Hahaha, no.

>> No.5515985

>>5510399
yogurt and some salt

>> No.5515991

>>5515878
Why was he even there? It doesn't sound like you're friends with him, was he a friend of a friend.
Can you share more stories of faggot fatass?

>> No.5516004
File: 506 KB, 245x245, 1386503107523.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can deal with someone picking things off from food that HE PAID or small things like picking cherry off from dessert
But what I can't deal with is if I make food for someone, me personally, put effort and time to it just to see some asshole scraping things to side of his plate. This is what really grinds my gear

>Make bolognese for my girl
>She's OK with it. Doesn't say a word
>Add regular vegetables in it; carrots, celery, onions, additional tomatoes
>She scrapes them off to side of her plate with fork. Even those small bits of tomato
>Only smooth sauce and little bit of minced meat remains
>"Heh I don't like veggies so much"
>10 mins she spent picking
>She complains that food is cold and microwaves it

She's EX now and this was many years ago. Still picky like a child and now five times fatter

>> No.5516007

>>5516004
>Still picky like a child and now five times fatter
It's interesting how many picky eaters are fat.

>> No.5516009

>>5515991
yeah, he's a friend of a friend who seems to manage to invite himself to a lot of things and we're all too canadian to tell him to fuck off.
And there aren't many stories, they'd all be the same. That one is a pretty quintessential example.

>> No.5516010

>>5510620
Holy Shit, Come on Jacob

>> No.5516018

the problem with picky eaters is they say things suck, as if to imply OTHER people have bad taste and not them. if they were to simply be like "i don't eat that, i just never liked it" as opposed to OMG, DISGUSTING....EWWWWWWIEEEE like little children i doubt anybody would care.

>> No.5516025

>>5515198

Yeah well no because those are sausages and an exception

>> No.5516028

>>5510024
>>5510358
>Steamed with cottage cheese
>He's never braised Brussel sprouts with garlic and parmesan

You'll notice the consensus is that you have to mask them with thinks that actually taste good already.

>> No.5516060

>>5515203
you seem to be doing fairly well, considering you're the only one in said circle. only one more to go!

>> No.5516063

>>5515795
>I would be pissed off too if I took someone as my guest, treating them to dinner, and they ordered an expensive fuckign burger they could have gotten somewhere else.

maybe the expensive fucking burger is better than that which they could have gotten somewhere else.

who has autism, exactly, getting so upset over such a stupid thing?

>> No.5516067
File: 2.11 MB, 2448x3264, cheeeempion 004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there is nothing i dont like or wont rtry at least once

>> No.5516127

>>5509236
>husband cooks raw meat with vegetables

disgusting.

>> No.5516131

its their sense of entitlement when i serve them a food and they ask me to make something else because "they only eat organic". most are reasonable and decline politely but there are always some that expect me to get back in the kitchen and make a completely seperate meal just for them despite knowing what i was making beforehand

>> No.5516164
File: 19 KB, 300x360, 1313887410338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>cooking sausages at a bbq
>guy wants some well done
>give then an extra 5 mins compared to the rest
>returns says they're not cooked enough 'theres still juice inside'
>ravage them until devoid of any moisture
>says they're perfect

>> No.5516200

>>5516164
you should've just kicked him out

>> No.5516211

>>5510399
onion gravy

>> No.5516217

>tfw can't eat onions
> have tried forcing myself through many times
> always feel like they taste rotten or something, no joke.
> always make a little bump on my tongue for idk

fuck

>> No.5516225

>>5509228
The only thing I won't eat is olives (olive oil is ok) and I'm not fond of tomatoes (sauce is fine). I won't eat raw mushrooms but sauteed or fried is great. I eat anchovies on there own, love raw fish, I even like octopus but I can't fucking stand olives.

>> No.5516234

>>5509254
I think they should be systematically executed
remove picky eaters from premises
turk smell picky eater excluded from living

>> No.5516236

>>5509610
>>5509884
>>5510039
>>5516028
>not liking natures sweet baby cabbages

>> No.5516241
File: 8 KB, 480x360, saralee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everybody doesn't like something.

feels good man

>> No.5516249

>>5516164
>no extra planning or cost
>minimal effort
>guest is happy

>> No.5516351

>always been picky
>hate junk food, oily and fatty food
>don't really eat processed desserts
>mostly eat a lot of bread
>diagnosed with ibs
At least I have a reason for it now so everyone will stop giving me shit about it. Sucks though because it's getting worse in college and I can't eat the local high fat ice cream.

>> No.5516352

I'm eat a picky eater, but I realize that the problem is with me, not the food. If I eat something I personally don't like, I can still recognize that it's a good dish.

>> No.5516355

>only drinks i really enjoy are coffee, tea, and water
>lmao!!! you don't drink soda? what's wrong with you?
Fuck people

>> No.5516368
File: 27 KB, 744x520, 1389792557210.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I hate onions

Fucking kill me.

I mean, I like onions in some things, like curry. But I can't stand it if it's in a cheese and onion pie, it just overwhelms everything.

>> No.5516369

anything with coffee in it or the smell of coffee I can't stand.

>> No.5516376

I can like and dislike food but I never understood how some people can flatout refuse to eat certain food stuff. My idea of disliking food is not going my way to eat it. While for many people not liking a food is equal to not being able to eat it.

>> No.5516403

>raw onions
>any pepper, cooked or raw

So terrible man. Tastes like soap to me and no one else I know feels the same.

>> No.5516498

>>5510399
peanut sauce

>> No.5517023

>>5509582
Same thing here.

>> No.5517029

>>5511132

It'd be rude of them to say anything, dickwad.

>> No.5517038

Picky eaters dictate the choice of restaurant, the choice of cuisine, the choice of ingredients, and the choice of serving methods for meals that EVERYONE will enjoy.

>> No.5517050

>>5516403
>>any pepper, cooked or raw
are we twins?

>> No.5517077

>>5514846
>You're saying you lack empathy and don't understand that other people's thoughts, feelings, and preferences are always valid even if you think they're stupid or "all in your head"?
Feelings, thoughts and preferences are by definition "all in your head". When it comes to social interaction we all decide how much we let the opinions, feelings and preferences of others effect our actions. We make these calculations based on generally wanting to be well-liked, how our opinions line up with those of others and our own priorities.

In this case my priority was not having any pleasure taking out of my diet just because I was dating a chick who thought some things I liked were "gaggy". I told her she was free to eat or not eat whatever she liked, I just had no intention of changing how I ate or cooked over something so arbitrary.

If it had been something real, like she had Celiac or food allergies of course I would have taken it seriously. But this was not the case. She just thought some foods were gaggy because they had grossed her out as a kid. Except now she was a full grown woman, not an 8 year old.

So I figured this was absolutely not my concern. And it turns out I was right. She's now quite happy about eating many things she used to find gaggy. And we've been happily married for almost a decade.

Worked out fine.

>> No.5517098

>>5512047
I generally loved eating meat off the bone. But I once got a piece of chicken from KFC with a full fucking spine and rib cage in it, I later found outta at this is pretty common. It was pretty disgusting. I don't get anything with bones in it from KFC anymore.

>> No.5517113

>>5512168
>can't eat sandwiches

Wat?

>> No.5517118

>>5511272
>>5511343
well said. more food for us.

>> No.5517119

>>5512208
I think he meant like 10k cal a day as in 10,000

>> No.5517142

>>5515198
A lot of sausages now have a cellulose casing instead.

>> No.5517146

>>5516063
>Wasting money is a stupid thing to get upset over.

Guess I'm poor since I don't like throwing money around.

>> No.5517156

>>5516217
Have you tried caramelised?
I only started to love all forms of onion after trying caramelised onion.

>> No.5517160

>>5516225
I'm the same way with mushrooms and my faggot roommate gives me shit for it. I just don't like the taste, or texture when they're raw. They taste how semen smells when they're raw.

>> No.5517175

>>5512216
->boiled pea
why would you ever boil peas?

>> No.5517199

>>5517160
Try cooking the semen

>> No.5517237

>>5513011
can you eat onions?
spicey food?
how old areyou?

i use to be similar, i think it all changed when i started to slowly eat spicier and spicier salsa, and chunkier too. I couldn't deal with onions until i was like 16

>> No.5517266

>>5509236
Oh americans... you make me really sad.

>> No.5517267

>>5517175
british people like their mushy peas

yes that's the literal name of the dish, and it's as terrible as it sounds

>> No.5517281

I'm a pretty broad eater. About the only thing that I'm not a big fan of is an excess of straight up animal fat on its own, as in gristle, rind, or trotters. Most other things I'm pretty happy with. There's plenty I don't rate particularly highly, but I wouldn't say that makes me picky. I have encountered some picky eaters in my time, and tend to cure them of their habits if possible. An old flatmate would eat little other than chicken and pizza - within three months of living with me I had him eating pretty much everything. Seafood, raw and cooked, vegetables of all sorts, offaly bits. I just didn't tolerate his bullshit. If you live with me you eat what I cook. Same goes for my girlfriend. She thought she didn't like pasta or salad, she just hadn't had pasta or salad cooked by me, and had never been pushed to eat them by anyone. I make her try stuff she hasn't eaten before, and sometimes she doesn't like it, but that's ok if you're willing to give it a go. Plenty of people dislike blood sausage in all its flavoursome guises.

>> No.5517289

>>5517267

Mushy peas are meh for me, and done properly they should be verging on condiment anyway. Besides...

>why would you ever boil peas

What else are you supposed to do with them? Quickly boiled petits pois are tasty as fuck.

>> No.5517297

>>5517266

yep... it's just 'americans'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-Twgir1t4

#wrekt

>> No.5517513

>>5509248
The mark of a good pizza is nice crusts, the mark of a bad pizza is filling the fucking things with cheese just to make them edible.

>> No.5517545

>>5517146

if you actually read my post, you would have gathered that i was asserting that ordering a burger at restaurant ( the burger is ON THE MENU in the first place, i don't see the problem) of higher-quality than say... burger king, is a perfectly fine decision, because >>5517146

if you actually read my post, you would have gathered that i was asserting that ordering a burger at restaurant ( the burger is ON THE MENU in the first place, i don't see the problem) of higher-quality than say... burger king is a perfectly fine decision, because you are going to be getting a higher-quality product.

a waste of money is someone who only eats half their plate and leaves the remainder at the table instead of boxing it up.

>> No.5517548

>>5517297
Lmao yuropoors are a joke

>> No.5517577

>Go to a chinese restaurant
>Have great meal
>Get a doggie bag
>Later, go to a bar for a friend's birthday
>Dude sitting next to me complain that he's hungry
>Here buddy, have some tripe
>Looks at it and start crying
>There's a grown man, surrounded by other grown men, in a bar, crying over food he doesn't have to eat
>topkek

Why are people annoyed by whiny little snowflake faggots? Gosh, I don't know.

>> No.5518153

>>5511132
This obviously never happened. You made bean burgers with a pinterest recipe and it probably got stuck in between the grills and feel through the grates so you just ended up eating canned beans for dinner with your figi water and posted a ridiculous story on 4chan.

>> No.5518197

>>5512021
Honestly I laughed harder than I should have at this post Bahaha. Truer words were never spoken anon, truer words

>> No.5518255

>>5509593
>their body their food is a 'very selfish attitude'

No it isn't. It's their god damn body. If they don't like the way something smells or tastes they have the choice to not ingest it. That choice only ever makes them selfish if they FORCE that choice on other people by dictating where a party goes or what is cooked.

Also, forcing yourself to eat something until you become accustomed to it is just fucking retarded. You're NOT a terrible person because you don't want to stockholm syndrome yourself into thinking you enjoy something you don't.

Fucking asshole.

>> No.5518295

My boyfriend is an incredibly picky eater and going to the grocery store with him is a chore.
I have to beg him to wait while I pick out produce in the produce aisle otherwise he will fly by it.

Unfortunately its not just that hes a picky eater, its the way he eats as well.

>He eats each food separately on the plate
> will not eat vegetables at all except corn and cooked carrots
>will not eat sandwiches unless they are peanut butter
>Meats that he eats are only pork chops and well done steak

Holy fuck its annoying, I tried to get him to eat a bite of my salmon which was amazing with bell peppers, he was NOT having it. He is 27 for fuck sakes grow up!

>> No.5518297

>>5509228
attitude, a lot of picky eaters I know are fucking insufferable about it. I do know people that just hate certain foods, I respect that, but it's the amount people are willing to put up with. When someone cant even take you to an eatery/party/dinner without you complaining enough is enough.

Everyone has foods they dislike or hate. I for one hate certain textures, but picky eaters often will not want food touching other food, say they're allergic to avoid eating foods when they are not. Annoy both staff and people they are with, cook bad food and expect people to eat it and compliment them. The list goes on and I was just picking habits from my aunt and her child. Picky eating is communicable, I've watched that kid eat nothing but junk for years and it's killing me.

You just die a little inside when you see a 14 year old kid picking apart a cake you've made because there's strawberries in it.

>> No.5518300

>>5517545
>ordering a burger at restaurant ... of higher-quality than say... burger king

Are there any restaurants of lower quality than Burger King?

The only one I can think of is what a restaurant inspector told me about one restaurant that he inspected. He told the owner that he was going to shut it down until the owner fixed the many very serious problems. The owner responded by padlocking the door permanently.

So it appears that there was at least one restaurant worse than Burger King.

>> No.5518308

>>5516164
>serving sausages that aren't cooked properly

nigger you are the one at fault here.

>> No.5518310

>>5518300
in my area I'll actually go to burger king like once every few months because I end up craving it. But the local perkins, friendlies, this Italian joint, and a few other places suck so much nut you couldn't pay me to go back there.

>> No.5518322

if they try something with a preconceived notion that they will hate it they can eat fucking shit.
if they approach said item with an open mind and still not end up liking it, fair enough

>> No.5518323

>>5518300
I find that Burger King burgers easily taste way better than anyone else in the top 3.

5 guys and smaller places easily shit on BK though

>> No.5518364
File: 81 KB, 960x540, south-park-s09e06c01-fried-chicken-16x9[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>their food
My only problem is when they're sharing it and jump straight to the tastier parts.

>> No.5518368

>>5517577
That sounds like a really severe depression or anxiety.

>> No.5518405

>>5512168
you're just a picky shithead, get fucked cunt

>> No.5519860

I'm stuck in the midwest right now and there are so many picky eaters where I work. One guy LITERALLY does not eat vegetables.

Fucking pleb as Fuck.

>> No.5519900

The way I was raised its either you eat whats given or you dont eat at all, I assume the moral of this is to appreciate that some one is cooking for you rather than being a picky bitch and not consuming your food because you don't like the texture or some nonsense. It drives me crazy when people dont wat food because they "touch"

>> No.5520639

>>5513896
every time i see my boyfriend eating something it's either Chinese food, chicken, congri, pasta, burgers and more chicken. I don't think i've ever seen him eat veggies. And he has chrons. Kinda bothers me that he hasn't changed his eating habits much from before.

>> No.5521670

>> I know a lady that has gluten allergy, she never mentions it and obviously never gets to eat...

"Gluten allergy"

is she also allergic to soy?

worst kind of people...

>> No.5521726

>>5518322
>>5519900

These.

>> No.5521748

>>5518295
You are dating a manchild. I bet he likes you to cut the crust off his sandwiches, too.
>>5519860
>I'm stuck in the midwest right now
Sorry to hear that. It kills me every time I visit there. They grow some of the best meat, dairy and produce in the fucking country. They pull amazing whitefish out of the huge fucking lake. But nobody gives a fuck. They just eat garbage. I blame Kellog's, Post and General Mills. Evil fucking shit.

>> No.5521776

>>5518295
why are you in a relationship with him?

do you swallow?

>> No.5521780

>>5518295
oh wait.

you are gay. nevermind.

>> No.5521803

>>5521748
On the upside, they sell some pretty great stuff in local grocery stores/chains here. I just picked up some head cheese (2 fucking dollars, and tastes as good as any I've had in upscale restaurants) and smoked whitefish yesterday. Let the plebs have their hamburger helper and assorted other flavorless hotdishes; it just leaves more amazing food for me.

>> No.5521818

I can understand some people being picky if they have a genuine reason for being so. I have an issue digesting things from the onion family, garlic, green onions, chives, shallots, etc. Most of the time I still eat them and bear the consequences, but I try to avoid raw onions in my food.

There's a girl I work with who says she can't have foods touch each other on her plate. So when she goes to a restaurant she can't have the meat touch the vegetables or the gravy poured on the mashed potatoes. Now that's some serious fucked up ocd.

>> No.5521909

>>5521803
See if you can find Holland Family Cheese. It's made in Thorpe, WI. God-tier stuff. The whitefish is also amazing, as you've discovered. The farmers markets are great there, too, but it's still early in the season. Some sleuthing should turn up excellent Southeast Asian food as well. And of course they make good beer.

If everybody there wasn't so obsessed with proving they're just "normal, regular folks" the Midwest would be one of the nation's culinary highlights.

>> No.5522001

okay, you people realize that not all--in fact, a large majority--of picky eaters aren't intolerable fucks, right?

the ones that ARE stand out, and you notice them, and they get on your nerves and you generalize.

i know plenty of picky eaters who aren't annoying, entitled complainers. they just stick to their shallow variety of food choices and don't make a fuss about shit, and generally are courteous enough to eat some of what is prepared at family dinners and such. and i think it is ridiculous to expect anyone to oblige you 100%--THAT is entitlement. THAT is lack of respect for their personal choices. but i also believe that is it respectful, as a friend or a guest or whathaveyou, to try some of what has been prepared in favor for you. every picky eater i know (my mom, sister, boyfriend) are like that. i have yet to meet anybody as intolerable as the sort of person you guys are ranting about. maybe i'm lucky.

>> No.5522011

>>5521818

>Now that's some serious fucked up ocd.

no, that's pretty much normal. rigid, but normal.

>> No.5522034

>>5522001
>i know plenty of picky eaters who aren't annoying, entitled complainers. they just stick to their shallow variety of food choices and don't make a fuss about shit, and generally are courteous enough to eat some of what is prepared at family dinners and such.
You just described my mother. She's a lovely woman, and not a bad cook. But man, was my upbringing boring in terms of food. In the grand scheme of things that's nothing.

But those people who use their fussy tastes as a way to control those around them? Seriously, fuck those people.

>> No.5522062

>>5521909
I actually know a guy with family in Thorpe (he claims they own the town, but he's also a drunk so w/e). Maybe he can get it from the source for me.

>> No.5522111

>>5509609

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with picky eaters. Its a character issue, I agree 100%.

>> No.5522124

>>5522062
>Maybe he can get it from the source for me.
Worth a try. The stuff they're making in Thorpe is as good or better than the best I've had in Holland. World class stuff. Avoid the gimmicky shit, like the cheese with cumin seeds or nettles in it, and just go for the aged Gouda. If it means buying your drunk buddy a six pack of New Glarus as a thank you it'll be worth it.

>> No.5522153

my wife will not eat beef or pork. but she'll eat all poultry, fish, seafood and she loves foie gras.

i guess ill take that.

>> No.5523313

>>5511343
lel

>> No.5523336

>>5517545
Actually, if you read the original post, both the driver and his friend agreed that it would be a waste of money. So maybe you don't have autism, but you also don't have very good reading comprehension.

>> No.5523355

>>5522111
It's just the fact that they're illogical.

I'm talking about the ones who say they don't like something but have never tried it. Or claim to be allergic because they don't like it.

It's okay to not like something. It's not okay to say you don't like it when you don't actually know that you don't.

>> No.5523366

>>5509228
picky eater here.
i just cant eat stuff like mushrooms, beans, fish. anything else is mostly ok

>> No.5523368

> Be me
> 22, decent job, good tastes. Life is pretty ok
> Enjoy going out and trying new stuff with friends
> Have one friend. Lets call him "Jake"
> Jake has a younger brother named "James"
> James has shit taste. fast food all the time
> Eats deep fried sushi. Won't try anything new
> James pitches a fit if we don't bring him along
> Its burgers, shitty sushi or nothing with him

I mean i know everyone has their preferred tastes and all but don't make everyone else be stuck going with what you want. If we don't we have to listen to you bitch all day.

Seoul Taco looked cool. Thanks for being a cunt jake.

>> No.5523372

>>5523368
james. James is a cunt. not jake. he's a cool guy. got my names mixed up.

>> No.5523373

>>5523368
Most deep fried sushi is shitty, yes. There's nothing inherently wrong with it though unless you're a spasmo about authenticity.

>> No.5523378

>>5523373
the roll had fake crab, egg, crunch and hot sauce on top.

Dude ordered like 3 of them. I'm not a stickler about authenticity but i think that was a little much.

>> No.5523742

>>5511313
This, dear lord. It makes me feel so bad, but I just cannot manage gulping down some hunk of raw fish.

Worst part is, I went to Japan on a school exchange a few years back. My homestay family took me to a sushi restaurant my first night there, and I had to eat these massive sushi pieces without looking like I wanted to throw up.

>> No.5523753

>>5509228
They're irrational children. They just straight up refuse to try things and claim that they don't like certain things by default.

>> No.5523759

>>5523368
Even if the person's real name isn't "James" I also happen to know a faggot named James who will eat nothing but fucking hamburgers and wings. I can't even eat out with my friends anymore because they always bring James along.

Worst part is he tips based on how "hot" the waitress is, not how well the service was. This one bitch kept fucking up our orders and he still tipped her 50% and wrote his number on a napkin. Fucker is like 35 years old.