[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 582 KB, 1024x768, 3856029052_5339646edd_o_0[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5507076 No.5507076[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I heave learned that there are actually people who reheat their pizza in a microwave and not a conventional oven, allowing the crust to get soft and the grease to pour out

Please tell me this isnt true

>> No.5507085

I don't want to live in a world where there is no cold pizza for breakfast

>> No.5507088

I usually reheat pizza in the toaster oven but sometimes I use the microwave for tombstone pizza because I like the soft texture

>> No.5507089

I do mine in a skillet or just in the oven straight on the rack.

You gotta get that crispity crunch back.

>> No.5507091

>>5507076
Toaster oven and iron skillet master race reporting in.

>> No.5507094

>>5507076
>reheating pizza

Should be eaten cold. Git out scumbag.

>> No.5507097

>>5507076
There are people who have microwaves, and actually use them. I don't get it, either, but it's true.

>> No.5507101

>parents go to some pizza place with great pizzas like California Pizza Kitchen or Round Table
>father always reheats pizza in microwave for like 2 minutes, completely ruins it
>dad when you have a good pizza like that you shouldnt ruin it in a microwave, use the toaster or oven
>anon that is a waste of electricity microwave is fine

>> No.5507104

>>5507101
>California Pizza Kitchen
>good pizza
pick one

>> No.5507112 [DELETED] 

>>5507076
It's true. I hope it drives you to suicide.

>> No.5507157
File: 83 KB, 500x500, 0007574103430_500X500[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Not just cooking everything on one of these bad boys

Its like you want your food to taste like shit

>> No.5507165

>>5507157

not just using your oven

>its like you don't know how to cook and need to buy a unitasker for everything

>> No.5507168

>>5507165
>unitasker
Retard detected

>> No.5507171

>>5507165
Have you ever tried using one of those things. Its more efficient than any oven I have used for pizza and stuff. Anything you want crispy really.

>> No.5507180

I ditched the microwave when I divorced. They suck for everything. A couple extra minutes, no biggie.

When I did reheat pizza in the mw I would cut the crusts off prior. Throw them in for the last 15 or 20 seconds.

>> No.5507185

>>5507171

Yeah, I got one as a gift a few years ago. It works just as well as the broiler in my oven does, it's simply less powerful so it takes longer. I used it a few times then I donated it to a charity drive.

>> No.5507210

>>5507180
>I ditched the microwave when I divorced.

what the hell do you reheat your coffee in?

>> No.5507235

>>5507076
Who gives a shit

>> No.5507236

>>5507104
Can we not do that? Can't this be the one board we don't do become elitist just because something's a franchise an it isn't the absolute best thing you've ever had?

>> No.5507239

>>5507236
If something isn't the best in the world, it may as well be dog shit.

>> No.5507283

>>5507097
Even when I didn't have a microwave, I didn't use an oven to reheat my pizza. I used the stovetop.

>> No.5507300

>>5507076
>mwf I like soft microwaved pizza crust and just wipe off the grease

>> No.5507540

>>5507210
Not him but I never had the need to rehest coffee in the last 10 years

>> No.5507566

Best way to reheat pizza is to heat it up in a skillet
it's brety gud

>> No.5508665

>>5507540
>I never had the need to rehest coffee in the last 10 years

Wow. My wife and I vasically make pot after pot all day long (we work from home); usually 5-7 pots a day. The stupid coffee maker shuts off after 2 hours and we usually end up reheating the last cup or two. With the price of coffee what it is, I just can't see letting it go to waste.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good cup of well prepared coffee as much as the next guy, but I sure as hell can't make cup after cup of that all day long while we work. For us it's less of an experience and more of a necessity.

>> No.5508691

>>5508665

My coffee maker has a hotplate on it that doesn't shut itself off.

>> No.5508701

>>5508691
>My coffee maker has a hotplate on it that doesn't shut itself off.
You lucky bastard. We just replaced ours and literally could not find one that does not have auto shutoff.

>> No.5508731

>>5508701
>could not find one

Restaurant supply store.

>> No.5508738

>>5508731
>Restaurant supply store.
Shit, that's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? Now I feel like a fucking retard. Thanks!

>> No.5508766
File: 645 KB, 1600x1200, bunn.pour-o-matic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508731

2nding this. You can't go wrong with a Bunn pouromatic. The staple of offices and small restaurants for decades. They don't have a lot of fancy gizmos on them but they are built like a tank and have a dedicated switch for the hotplate so you can turn on/off as needed. They also contain a tank inside so they brew instantly with no waiting for the water to boil. If something goes wrong you can get individual parts. You might also check Ebay, etc, for used ones. Pic related. They are also made in a 4-plate version.

>> No.5508863

>>5507076
I don't know why, but I have a huge fondness for cold pizza, almost as much as it is hot, when I order pizza I make a point to have some available the next day cold.

>> No.5508872
File: 127 KB, 900x482, draperdrawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5508766

This shit reminds me of my childhood, where I would go to old people coffee shops with my grandparents. It's frowned upon today it seems (thanks gordon ramsey) but they would have an extensive menu with literally just about everything one could possibly want and to popular contrast it was all pretty decent. These places were not "family resturants" like Dennys, I-Hop or whatever but "coffee shops" as the elders called them. They were run by Greeks with thick accents who were inevitably named "George." George, would schmooze with customers, working the room while his middle aged but somehow much older looking Greek wife or a much younger and hotter daughter would work behind the counter, where they sold Halva bars, gum, and certs mints (do they even make these anymore?)

The waitresses, almost all in their early 40s or older still actually wore uniforms, they probably hadn't been updated since the 1960s but that's ok, they might have been dated but there was something respectable about them, almost how a woman looks in those old Victorian era photographs. Of course there were Mexicans too. No coffee shop is complete without the Mexican bus boys. It was these Mexicans, who while not clearing tables, bringing baskets of bread, or refilling water. When they weren't doing any or all of the above, they would go around the tables with two pots. One orange and one black. As a kid, I remember them speaking three words of English, "Coffee?, "Regular? or "Decaf."

And throughout it all, two Bunn pouromatic coffee makers silently stood watch, guarding the kitchen and overseeing all the operations of a bygone era and the nostalgia that went with it.

>> No.5508886

>>5508872
If you are not a writer, you should really consider it. Brilliantly descriptive writing. Christ, how I miss the world of a few decades ago.

>> No.5508946

>>5507085
>>5507094
>eating cold pizza

>>5507076
You should really eat your pizza before it gets cold.. Pizza is best eaten fresh out of the oven.

>> No.5509183

>>5508886
I already am. 2 books, multiple locally published articles. Nothing directly food related though.

But yeah, I just wrote from muh feels. Rereading it, it just seems rather blah, engrish 101. Restaurants have and will continue to change but I think they/we have hit a new level of uniformity and lack of identity. I don't mean some fancy place. I mean if you want a hamburger, you can't get it at "Nick's place," but any franchise anywhere in America within an identical setting from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon.

The generation before the baby boom enjoyed eating out at the local place, it was a big deal. The baby boomer wanted it quick and now, it's how they were brought up, in part by their parents, the generation before the baby boom. It's a duality of the situation. However it was the baby boom who pulled away from the sit down American "coffee shop" restaurant. Fastfood and the chain pancake houses dotted the landscape. Not because they could but because there was a marketing for them to do so. They we're wanted and met with wild jubilation. The Cheeseburger deluxe or the soup and a half sandwich we're gone. The best most places can do is an i-hop. The worst they can do is the bullshit frozen meal in a bag, defrosted and "cooked" by a modern day short order cook at the Applebees. Today's eating good in the neighborhood. In the years that followed after this destruction of the food nation, there have been attempts to move back somewhere to the center, even fast food has realized this, i.e. the gourmet trend but we're never going back all the way.

There was a time where that worker, off his shift at 2 a.m. could go to the 24 diner, where the post last call bar crowd would also go and there he could enjoy a cigarette, cup of fresh black coffee, a sandwhich, made from real sliced turkey, still hot fries and most of all the satisfaction of a good meal. Now that same son of a bitch is at the taco bell drive. Welcome to today's murica.

>> No.5509351

>>5508872
Nice writing, but your rosy nostalgia is clouding your mind about the quality of food in those places. If you were lucky MAYBE one of the Greek specials was OK. But everything else on those menus was bland garbage, usually greasy, made from the same set of ingredients from Sysco every other coffee shop got. The only fresh produce in the place was iceberg lettuce, unripe tomatoes and sliced red onion. The nicest thing about the meal in a place like that was the Buffalo China plate it came on. Unless you were a fan of weak coffee with UHT half and half...

>> No.5509392

>>5509183
Not entirely. A lot of the old style still exists if you get away from Suburbia and sprawl. I live in rural Western Pennsylvania. Not 2 miles from here is a small diner/restaurant that is run by a woman who also boards horses. You can still get the proverbial daily "Blue Plate Special". Due to state law the smoking section is a picnic table out front with a metal bucket for an ashtray. 2 miles the other way is a local watering hole who keeps a stash of McAllan Scotch under the bar for me for $4 for a good 3-4 ounces where I can share a cigar and catch up on the local happenings. They have a mean short order cook who never fails to whip up something interesting and good. When we go away to the mountains for the weekend we stop at a local joint where we can get a huge breakfast, cooked to order and wash it all down with a cold beer along with our coffee. The America you remember still exists, you just have to get the hell out of the cities, and away from the homogenized 'burbs and out into the 90+% of the country that is not paved over and packed in like sardines. There is one of those ridiculous area near my home; full of Denny's, Applebees, Olive Garden, etc. I avoid it like the plague.

>> No.5509415

microwaves suck for thin crust, i will give you guys that
but its perfect for greek pizza

>> No.5509460

>>5509392
>The America you remember still exists, you just have to get the hell out of the cities, and away from the homogenized 'burbs and out into the 90+% of the country that is not paved over and packed in like sardines
Not the Anon you're responding to, but you're wrong about cities. I live in NYC, and chains have only started showing up here over the last decade or so. Most restaurants here are still mom and pop joints. There's a 24hr coffee shop similar to those described in this thread five blocks from me.