[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 276 KB, 518x428, areyouamadfishtoo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5488469 No.5488469[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>"Sorry Anon, we can't go to that awesome taqueria for lunch; Jenny doesn't like Mexican food."

>> No.5488480
File: 42 KB, 167x160, mikeycondom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"i don't care, i'm eating where i want because i'm an adult and jenny can stop being as picky as a toddler or fuck off kindly and go dine alone"

>> No.5488481
File: 242 KB, 1280x2020, punisherkilling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488469

>"Sorry Anon, I know we live on the coast and have our pick of fantastic seafood restaurants, but Ben hates the smell of fish. How about Applebee's?"

>> No.5488485

I have a older female relative who wont go near chinese food because she seriously believes its cats and dogs, and that chinese people are disgusting

>> No.5488495

>>5488481
>>5488485

>have a grill btw
>she doesn't like chinese takeout because it once made her violently ill
>she doesn't like the smell of fish

life is suffering

>> No.5488499

>refusing to eat Indian vegetarian food because you didn't like the tofu burger your hippie friend gave you once

>> No.5488501
File: 18 KB, 319x475, jaffa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488481
>>5488495
>hates the smell of fish

Typical heffa, they even hate their own stank

>> No.5488565

>>5488501
Jaffa pls, take your sassy ass back to /lgbt/

>> No.5488577

>>5488499

My dad refuses to eat Indian food in general because he hates curry. The only Indian restaurant around is hella good and my younger brother shits all over it because we got the buffet and "the tandori chicken was dry."

>> No.5488595

Tell her there's plenty to choose from on the kid's menu if she's that fucking picky.

>> No.5488603

I know one woman who won't touch anything non-eastern european. It's so stupid because not only has she lived the last 20+ years in Canada where there's great food from all over the world (except Europe), she also lived in Greece for a few years and surely had a taste of great Greek food. So it's not like she wasn't exposed to other cuisines.

>> No.5488647

>>5488469
>"I'm a vegetarian, but I don't like mushrooms, meat substitutes, any sort of beans besides baked beans, or any vegetables which aren't native to Britain or any vegetables which have been "messed around with" (still don't know what the criteria for that is). I don't like lettuce-based salads, but I like lots of vegetables in my food. I don't like how everything vegetarian in restaurants is just tomatoes and cheese. I only like "Italian" and "British" food I want to go to a nice restaurant."

>> No.5488650

>>5488647
She's also incredibly rude to waiters/waitresses.

>> No.5488653

>>5488650
>>5488647

why do you interact with this person

>> No.5488659

>>5488647

Uh, mushrooms as a meat substitute is more of a "I'm lazy as fuck and I don't feel like making a totally new recipe from scratch so I'm going to take a portobello mushroom and soak it in olive oil and salt the living daylights out of it and call that a vegetarian dish".

In fact meat substitutes as a whole are very 1970s-vegetarian, back when not eating meat was a radical new concept, before people figured out how to eat a proper diet and not get nutritional disorders.

It sounds like maybe you don't know much about nutrition.

Not even vegetarian, just a meat minimalist who isn't completely clueless.

>> No.5488662

>>5488653
She's my grandmother. I try to avoid food-based interaction where possible, but all she thinks about is food. Basically the only food she likes is food that she cooks (read: boils the shit out of). Worst thing is that my dad's turning into her.

>> No.5488670

>>5488659

Huh? I never said that mushrooms were a meat substitute.

>> No.5488680

>>5488670

No, but you implied that it was unreasonable to dislike meat substitutes. Such as, for example, how mushrooms are sometimes used, but also other things too. Or tomatoes and cheese as a vegetarian dish.

Certainly I can understand being frustrated finding a good place to eat with a vegetarian. They have the same nutritional needs that you do, but they are trying to meet those needs without meat. That's not the easiest thing to do in a lot of places without making various compromises.

But that doesn't seem to be your issue. That would be a reasonable complaint. Instead your issue is with their expectations of what a nutritious meal is, which is silly because they still need protein and all the rest, just like you.

>> No.5488722

>>5488680
Look, dude, most restaurants have mushrooms in most of the vegetarian dishes- and any restaurants which offer alternatives and substitutions, she'll find another reason to not like them. I never said that that on its own is unreasonable, I was merely listing. And, all added together, it makes it incredibly difficult to find somewhere to eat with her. If she's unhappy, she makes everyone else's life miserable even if everyone else enjoys their meal.
All she eats at home is potatoes, vegetables, butter and copious amounts of alcohol. (In fact she has a severe binge-eating problem which I'm pretty sure is due to the fact that she doesn't seem to get much protein.)

But.. I didn't mean to rant about her. I just don't understand how some people can be so fussy and yet still expect to be taken out to eat all the time.
And yeah.. as someone with Crohn's who grew up in a family of fad-dieters (against whom I'm constantly having to defend my food choices), I think I've had to learn a decent amount about nutrition.

>> No.5488730

>Picky eaters
Fine, whatever. You don't have to eat it/order it.
>Vocally whiney picky eaters
I hope you are stuck in the desert with a pile of food you hate and starve to death.

>> No.5488744

>>5488722
And when I say taken out to eat all the time, I mean regardless of the circumstances. She'll turn up to people's birthdays and everyone will have to change their plans to suit her. We've found places she's liked, but then she gets bored of them. Now she just goes to this pub where she basically orders steamed vegetables and potatoes and dessert- it's an awful, dingy place and the food is just bad.

My issue is just that fussy people make everything revolve around them and it's difficult.

>> No.5488750

>>5488722
>most restaurants have mushrooms in most of the vegetarian dishes

That may be true in your area, but it's definitely not the case in mine. Still, given what you mentioned about her home diet I now see that the person you are talking about is just an ignorant fool on top of being a picky eater. Definitely annoying.

>> No.5488755

>>5488744
But she goes on about how she's not picky and that we all like "fancy messed around food".

>> No.5488763

>>5488744
Shit, I can't imagine being the cunt that kept everyone from doing something fun. I don't like the smell of fish, but I'll still take my friends out to a fucking Crab Shack. They can eat whatever, I'll hope for a good potato or chicken or something. Or just plain don't go.
It isn't fucking hard to say "Nah, I don't like that. But I hope you guys enjoy it!"

>> No.5488764

>>5488750
Yeah.. well I mean the kind of places where we end up taking her. Because she claims to like "Italian" food, but doesn't actually, so we always end up going to some low-quality place which bulks out vegetarian dishes with mushrooms and aubergine or whatever. Man, I nearly forgot onions- she doesn't like onions. And it's her birthday next month. fuck.

>> No.5488811

>>5488659
You sound like you don't know how to cook mushrooms.

>> No.5488817

>>5488811

Why don't you explain it to me then. What kind of amazing lab equipment do you have that can turn the chemicals that constitute a mushroom into a protein source that rivals meat.

>> No.5488835

>>5488817
mushrooms are more biologically similar to meat than they are to vegetables.

>> No.5488838

>>5488835
well that sounded derp, replace meat with animals and vegetables with plants

>> No.5488842

>>5488835

That's great wiki kid. How about if you answer the question. What technique do you use that allows you to swap out meat with an equal quantity of mushrooms and have the dish taste as good as the original, and deliver the same protein as the original?

It's a rhetorical question of course. You can't. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

>> No.5488844

>I don't like (ingredient)

Yes, yes you fucking do. If it's something used in a lot of cuisines, you probably like it you've just never had it properly prepared or prepared in a way that would suit you.
One or two things is fine (I personally have tried capers in every way, shape and form and still don't like them) but some people have a fucking list. Exception for little kids since their taste buds are hyper sensitive.

>> No.5488848

>>5488495
to be fair a lot of people don't like the smell of fish lying around, it can be pretty pungent

>> No.5488854

>>5488817
I never said anything about meat, dumbass. It just sounds like you don't know how to cook mushrooms, if you think that most people (you included) just slap salt and oil on it. No wonder people think vegetarian food is disgusting.

>> No.5488862

>>5488842
who cares? no need to get so booty blasted.

>> No.5488892

>>5488854

Did you even read my post? I said the reason someone's friend was complaining about mushrooms was *because* of restaurants that slap salt and oil on a mushroom and call that vegetarian cooking. As in, that's not good cooking, and they have every right to be mad.

That point apparently flew so far over your head you broke your neck trying to brag about how you like mushrooms. How fucking thick are you?

>> No.5488905

>>5488485
but chinese people are disgusting

>> No.5488908

>>5488485
>older female relative who wont go near chinese food
pretty common, anyone over 60 can have that "yellow" bias, whether from vietnam era, anti-japan, or beyond that...
Third world origin workers cut a lot of corners. Fact. China is and was a third world country in many ways. I can't tell you one researcher in my university setting in my 40 years from China who wasn't extremely educated yet disgusting in the university kitchens. Leaving food out 48 hours at a time and idiotic things like that.

>> No.5488930

>>5488848
this is why i am very cautious of entering asian homes.

FISH PEOPLE!

>> No.5488935

>>5488842
you little fucking bitch i wish i could pimp slap your lil whiny ass. If your a girl your a lil BITCH!

You ever go to WA state? we got huge fucking mushrooms worth 50$ a piece. I have tasted them they TASTE like meat. its called meat SUBSTITUTE not meat REPLACEMENT. learn how to use dictionary and that words have different meanings.

>> No.5488945

>>5488935

Fifty dollars! Wow! I don't give a fuck about your mushroom hunt and mushrooms are not a substitute for meat. Or a replacement. You are a moron, end of discussion.

>> No.5488982

>I like Taco Bell, but I hate burritos, Tex-Mex, and/or authentic Mexican

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this gem.

Before we have an unnecessarily long dialogue about how Taco Bell is Tex-Mex (or an argument how it isn't, that it's just fast food), I mean to say that I have known people that liked Taco Bell, but thought Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, Currito, Hothead Burrito, On the Border, El Pollo Loco, Del Taco, Chili's Tex-Mex stuff, ChiChi's (RIP), Taco Cabana, Pappasito's, etc.; etc. are disgusting. Tex-Mex joints and/or the little Mexican joints that serve menudo, you better believe that's an anathema.

I'll let that sink in. I've known people that would eat a burrito from Taco Bell, but not Chipotle, let alone anything from a Tex-Mex joint or any and all other Mexican restaurants.

>> No.5489010
File: 21 KB, 200x200, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5488647
Introduce her to breatharianism.

>> No.5489015

>>5488842

>Moving The Goalposts World Champion, 2014