[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 18 KB, 240x135, reaction lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5475327 No.5475327[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Sup Murkins, I require your advice.

I've been exploring American food (read: candy, snacks and related edible items) lately, since I'm Dutch I usually have to order it from somewhere via mail. What are some things I should definitely try out? I'm a big fan of peanutbutter candy and anything cheesy, but I'm willing to try anything and everything.

Some highlights I already had: Chex Mix with PB flavour (dry as withered trees, flavor matches), Reese's PB cups (godly), Arizona Original Iced Tea (glorious, we have no unflavored ice tea like that here), Lucky Charms (best breakfast ever, though not something for every day) and apple pie-flavored chewing gum (more cinnamon than apple, but still really fuckin' good).

I order my stuff from usfoodz (dot) nl so you can see what they have and recommend me things, I will get 'm blind so troll away if you feel like it. Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to get more American foodstuffs for better prices, do let me know. And thanks for the help, of course! Ask me anything in return, and I'll do what I can.

Pic unrelated, though the dude seems happy and that's a good thing.

>> No.5475342

if you like cheese then Cheetos and cheeze itz are essentials

>> No.5475346

>>5475342
I've been wondering about Cheez-Itz, they don't seem too cheesy from the pictures. What can I expect flavor- and texturewise?

>> No.5475348

>>5475327
There's an American and Brtish store in Amsterdam. I forget the street name though. I've bought Quaker Oatmeals there along with molasses, which Albert Heijn nor any oter store seems to sell.

It is quite pricey but it's there.

>> No.5475352

>>5475348
Oh yeah, I picked something up about that in the delicatessen store in Utrecht (I live there), somewhere near Leidscheplein or something. I'll see what I can find, thanks for the tip.

>> No.5475353

It's hard to suggest things since so many American foodstuffs have European equivalents.

I don't know, Combos? They're a snack that has a crunch bread outer shell and a savory inside (usually some flavor like cheese, pizza, pepperoni, etc.). They're not the best thing ever but they caught my eye the first time I saw them.

>> No.5475357

>>5475353
Oh yeah, I had my eye on 'm, I'll get those! Any flavor that jumps out in particular?

>> No.5475359

>>5475357

I prefer pizza, but that's just me

>> No.5475366

>>5475359
Alright, I'll get some of those and some regular flavor, for comparison's sake. Thanks bro :)

>> No.5475399
File: 47 KB, 300x300, munchies-cheese-fix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475327

>cheese

Get yourself a bag of these. Just one, because you're going to eat the entire thing in one go and you don't want a second bag hanging around.

>> No.5475404

>>5475399
Christ, that looks heavenly. They don't have it at that website I mentioned, but I'll see if I can find another store for it. Thanks for the tip.

>> No.5475406

>>5475404

It is heavenly. My favorite part is the pretzels that have been marinating in the cheesy cross polination of three different kinds of cheese powder in the bag.

>> No.5475412

>>5475406
Gah. You have good bad taste sir, I like you. Gonna get me some of that.

>> No.5475422
File: 1.45 MB, 300x165, brent rambo brah.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475399
fuggin A man... my nostalgias of getting high and downing those with pepsi blue......

>> No.5475424

>>5475357

buffalo blue cheese.

they're filled pretzels, btw.

>> No.5475438

>>5475327
>I'm a big fan of peanutbutter candy and anything cheesy

truly not one of us europeans

>> No.5475441

>>5475424
Yup, luv me sum pretzels and if they're filled, well, better. That flavor was also on my tryout list, I'll add it to the mix.

>> No.5475453
File: 140 KB, 1030x1280, muddybuddies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the commercial brand of what's also called puppy chow (you can make this yourself, and it will probably be better... but just in case you can't be bothered). keep plenty of napkins nearby, because you will be covered in powdered sugar.

>> No.5475486

>>5475438
Dutch, right? Peanutbutter and cheese are, like, our main exports.

>> No.5475496

Andy Capp fries, they have cheese flavor but I like the hot fries a lot too.

>> No.5475573

>>5475346
they're crackers, so dry, ofc. the original flavor is very salty with a surprisingly large ammount of cheddar flavor baked in

>> No.5475606

Hanover pretzels, jalapeno or honey mustard flavor. Nabisco Mallomars, chocolate Krave cereal, Jones soda, and that's just off the top of my head. If you have any "marshmallow in a jar" you should make a fluffernutter (peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich)

>> No.5475610 [DELETED] 

I'm going through the website right now and will make a list of everything on there i've tried and liked

>100 grand bar
>fruit by the foot color
>bubblicious watermelon gum
>butterfinger and butterfinger crisp
>cheetos puffs
>cheez-it
>all the chips ahoy besides the mini ones
>dots
>flipz milk chocolate and white fudge pretzels
>fluffy cotton candy if you've never had cotton candy before
>5th avenue
>hersheys caramel kisses
>whoppers
>ho hos are ok but i don't like them more than once ever few years
>twinkies
>jolly rancher reds
>jolly rancher crunch and chew
>jolly rancher chews
>rice krispies treats
>candy corn, be warned most other people dont like it
>Mike and ike this one is the newer version and better http://www.usfoodz.de/mike-and-ike-original-fruits-269gram
>milk duds
>jesus christ there are a lot of oreos, ill just say that oreos are good you'll have to pick and choose from there
>reeses sticks
>sour patch kids watermelon
>starbursts and starbursts reds
>swedish fish
>wonka chewy spree
>wonka nerds any flavor
>wonka gobstoppers
>wonka laffy taffy assorted

I'll make a list of soda if you want too. Also, if you can ever get your hands on starburst jelly beans i recomend buying them

>> No.5475615

I'm going through the website right now and will make a list of everything on there i've tried and liked

>100 grand bar
>fruit by the foot color
>bubblicious watermelon gum
>butterfinger and butterfinger crisp
>cheetos puffs
>cheez-it
>all the chips ahoy besides the mini ones
>dots
>flipz milk chocolate and white fudge pretzels
>fluffy cotton candy if you've never had cotton candy before
>5th avenue
>hersheys caramel kisses
>whoppers
>ho hos are ok but i don't like them more than once ever few years
>twinkies
>jolly rancher reds
>jolly rancher crunch and chew
>jolly rancher chews
>rice krispies treats
>candy corn, be warned most other people dont like it
>Mike and ike this one is the newer version and better http://www.usfoodz.nl/mike-and-ike-original-fruits-269gram
>milk duds
>jesus christ there are a lot of oreos, ill just say that oreos are good you'll have to pick and choose from there
>reeses sticks
>sour patch kids watermelon
>starbursts and starbursts reds
>swedish fish
>wonka chewy spree
>wonka nerds any flavor
>wonka gobstoppers
>wonka laffy taffy assorted

I'll make a list of soda if you want too. Also, if you can ever get your hands on starburst jelly beans i recomend buying them

sorry forgot to fix the link

>> No.5475688
File: 32 KB, 250x300, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

JAX are cheese-puff master race, so I would definitely recommend them.

>> No.5475759

Do they have American style marshmallow fluff in NL? If not, it might be worth...well, it won't be worth buying except as a disgusting thing you can show your friends. Yes, Americans actually eat that garbage. They put it on sandwiches! This is why we're fat.
Try the Hershey Zero bar. The trick was to freeze it before eating. Much better than the normal way. I don't think those exist in Europe, but they may.
Skip Hostess. American snack cakes are a waste of money except the Little Debbie ones, which apparently this site doesn't carry.
Jolly Rancher hard candies are strictly for people who want diabetes.
Reese's makes all kinds of good peanut butter stuff. I'd say my favorite are the Reese's pieces though. M&Ms used to do peanut butter but they got rid of them quickly.
As for drinks...Barq's is fun root beer. Big Red is a very unique and artificial taste. Fanta Grape is good if you like artificial grape flavor.
If you can't get American-style maple syrup there, it'd be worth trying over some buttermilk pancakes. Don't bother buying pancake mix though, that's just silly.
American cereal is not something I really recommend to adults, but as a kid I liked Life, Cocoa Pebbles, Froot Loops, and Captain Crunch Berries.
With regard to Jello-O, I only care for the pistachio pudding. A unique and subtle flavor that justifies a small cost.

>> No.5475777

Sour neon worms

>> No.5475780
File: 230 KB, 1195x1600, IMG_9804.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475777
Pic related

>> No.5475786
File: 484 KB, 1000x742, lemonheads-ferrara-pan-candy-24ct-2_gif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5475811
File: 98 KB, 680x349, c2429161c07342b6b0e38174cade631815d4da5d_680.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't even know how to describe these.
frito's honey bbq twists
Used to buy them all the time at gas stations.

>> No.5475825

>>5475811
Oh man, that's a thing. They're nothing amazing but they're cheap and taste pretty good.

>> No.5475923

I cant believe you ened up liking the lucky charms, OP. I always hated that stuff. I havent had a bowl of cereal in 5 years or so, but I always remember my favorite was frosted mini wheats. Oh and Count Chocula was the shit too, turns you white milk into chocolate milk.

Get some American gummy bears or worms, some cracker jacks, Warheads, Twizzlers, Milky way bars, youd like that one for sure.

>> No.5475952

>>5475422
I miss Pepsi Blue so much =/

>> No.5475960
File: 80 KB, 500x375, Zero Bar (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475759
Zero Bars... brb buying Zero Bars.

>> No.5475990

OP, you have good taste. Reeses cups are by far the best peanut butter candy. If you like them, I recommend the following (all are on that website):

>Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs - it is cereal, just add milk. This is how Americans convince ourselves that it's ok to eat candy for breakfast.
>Reese's Fast Break - like Reese's cups but a little crunchy
>Reese's Pieces - like M&Ms but filled with peanut butter instead of chocolate
>Peanut Butter Oreos - not as good as Reese's cups but still very tasty if you dunk them in milk
>Butterfingers. They are sort of peanut butter flavored chocolates but the inside is hard and flaky rather than mushy like a peanut butter cup

>> No.5476011

>>5475960
oh shit I haven't had one of these in ages.

Anyway, butterfingers are god tier. Just get the regular ones, though, not the cups or the crisps or anything.

Hershey's chocolate is pretty much the quintessential American chocolate, but it's got a sort of cheesy flavor I'm not fond of and really wouldn't pay import prices for.

Fritos are the best snack chips. Every flavor. I like Ruffles for potato chips but I'd honestly rather get some kettle chips isntead, they're thicker.

>> No.5476036

The only standout thing I can think of that other nations don't have an equivalent of or do better is beef jerky. It's expensive, but it's so damn good.

>> No.5476056
File: 28 KB, 262x350, cheetos_03251_answer_2_xlarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475327
these flamin' hot fries are good, try them.

>> No.5476065

Enjoy obesity OP

>> No.5476111

>>5476056
>not Andy Capp's

>> No.5476721

>>5475990
Thanks for the compliment, man. Most of those Reese's I already had, including Butterfingers, but not the cereal yet... If you say it's good, I'll get a pack. Found it hard to imagine how it'd taste.

>>5475615
Woah, that's a big help, thanks man :) Soda would be great, but don't force yourself or anything. Already did enough and all that.

>>5476065
Already am, bro.

>>5476036
Yeah, that shit is impossible to get here. Both expensive (more so than in US, I'd wager) and usually shit (in the case of Jack Link's, the only brand we have). Got brand recommendations?

>> No.5476764

>>5476721
for mainstream beef jerky you can never go wrong with oberto's, especially if you can get the hickory smoked one

>> No.5476769

I checked out the site
I agree with >>5475759 about Marshmallow Fluff. Get some of that and some peanut butter and make a fluffernutter sandwich. Jif Extra Crunchy is the American PB to get, Skippy is shit.
Cool Mint Oreos are the best oreos IMO
Reeses' Big Cup, Fast Break, and Pieces are good PB candies
Snyder's Pretzel Pieces are pretty good
York peppermint patties are good frozen, if you like super sugary peppermint.

That's about it

>> No.5476834

>>5476721
soda and drinks list, this probably wont be as long, i'm not that into tea, i've never tried that much and the few that i have haven't tasted that great

>barqs
>canada dry really hits the spot when your sick, it's also good frozen
>vanilla coke
>dr pepper vanilla cherry
>fanta, it's up to you i guess i'm partial to strawberry
>Hawaiian punch
>i've never had those jolly rancher drinks but they look interesting
>>kool aid, same as the fanta
>code red mtn dew
>pepsi throwback also good frozen
>swiss miss marshmallows
Also my step dad is Hungarian and has told me that smores where a states thing and didn't really exist everywhere else. If they don't there i would recommend ordering stuff to make them

>> No.5478727
File: 158 KB, 464x750, 3 whole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475399
Ay man dont forget about the flamin hot ones either the only thing in the bag that isn't hot is the pretzels so its a nice change

>> No.5478767

Murkan here

I am ashamed that this is the stuff that represents the USA

That said
>Mike & Ike Italian Ice
>Mike & Ike Assorted Lemonade
>Whoppers
>Butterfinger PB cups
>Oreo Brownies
>Sour Patch Kids
>Take 5 pretzel/peanut butter chocolate bars
>Taco Bell Salsa con Queso
>Whatchamacallit Bars

BTW I'm fat. Obese actually. My BMI is 33. All from eating stuff like what is mentioned above.

>> No.5478769

What I suggest from the site:
> Oreos, plain
> Oreos: golden with chocolate inside
> teddy Graham's, golden
> kraft macaroni and cheese SO GOOD AND JUNK FOODIE
> Taco Bell salsa con queso
> regular dr pepper

>> No.5478864

>>5475453
>>5475453
OP. THIS.
this shit is so fucking good.

Also, reese's makes a candy bar called fast break that is great. It is cookie, nougat, peanut butter, and chocolate.

>> No.5478896

-Butterfinger crisp/cup, the bars are ok but not quite as good
-FLAMIN HOT CHEETOS do not pass those up
-Don't get anything chocolate that has "Hershey's" on it. Hershey's is shit.
-Hubba Bubba Dr. Pepper
-Oreo brownies
-Anything by Pepperidge Farm is going to be good
-Pizza Pringles
-Reese's fast break, nutrageous, pieces, sticks, whips, etc. Fast Break is the best.
-If you like hard pretzels, anything by Snyder's (I didn't see the salted caramel on there but if you can find it, get it. Otherwise the cheddar is pretty good)
-Warheads
-Mountain Dew Code Red, Mountain Dew Throwback (STAY AWAY FROM WHITEOUT, it's nasty)
-Dr. Pepper
-Wild Cherry Pepsi
-Sundrop
-Orange sunkist

>> No.5478900

>>5478896

jesus fucking christ you're a disgusting person. that is seriously the worst taste ive ever seen. fucking warheads.... orange sunkist... jesus christ.

>> No.5478914

If you can figure out some way to determine what sort of items we have here that you don't have there that sound interesting to you, and you are interested, I'd be down to do a candy/foodstuffs swap with you. I'll give my email if you're interested.

>> No.5478922
File: 39 KB, 500x500, you are smalltime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5478900
>doesn't like warheads or sunkist

>> No.5478927
File: 37 KB, 270x400, Tapatio-Doritos-270x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5478928
File: 201 KB, 1600x1200, dela rosa marzipan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5478914

oh and I live in california so I have access to mexican candy too, like the addictive (but crumbly) pic related

>> No.5479172

>>5475346
>>>5475342
>I've been wondering about Cheez-Itz, they don't seem too cheesy from the pictures. What can I expect flavor- and texturewise?
They're rather somewhat greasy...like not dripping by any means, they're crunchy, but you do wind up with oily fingers. The texture is kind of like Ritz crackers, which are an old-school (1930s) snack, but smaller in size, so easy to fit in your mouth in one go, avoiding crumbs. Flavor isn't strong, but is probably stronger than you'd guess by looking at them. Goldfish are actually a little simlar, but less greasy and less cheesy...while Cheez-its are considered a pure unhealthy junk food, Goldfish are a slightly more "respectable" snack. Like parents might not give Cheez-its to their kids, but would give them Goldfish.

I would recommend Cheetos Crunchy, and Cheetos Crunchy Flamin' Hot, if you haven't had something similar. The Crunchy version has been a top snack food for like 50 years. The Flamin' Hot version came out about 20 years ago, as American tastes shifted toward spicier fare. They're like a puffed starch, so partly filled with air, but dense enough that they still have a serious crunch. They're coated in a ridiculously artificial cheesy powder, and have a strong flavor.

Of candies, I might suggest whoppers, which are like a chocolate coated kinda dry spherical cookie...it's an interesting texture, very crunchy if you just bight through it, or you can suck on them and they kind of disintegrate.

Twizzlers Strawberry Twists are a very sweet, artificially-flavored strawberry licorice (it's sweet, not licorice-flavored, like the spice anise; black licorice is a very different flavor). They're flexible and chewy, and some people leave a bag open for a couple days to make them drier and even chewier (tougher). They're nothing special, but if you haven't had sweets with that sort of texture it might be interesting.

>> No.5479222

>>5475327
>american candy
if you're ordering candy from across the world
order japanese candy
Japan has everything we do, but much more interesting flavors
and actual sugar

>> No.5479236

>>5479222
Japan doesn't like strong flavors though, they're invariably bland as hell.

>>5479172
Picture an extremely sharp, almost sour cheddar, combined with a crispy, biscuit-like texture.

>> No.5479246
File: 151 KB, 720x538, gushers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get some gushers... actually don't

>> No.5479279
File: 99 KB, 500x500, pringles_pizza_ssdmarkets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pringles are fun and you can't go wrong with pizza flavor, they're pretty addicting and salty.

Also sour patch kids are good, chewy and sour with a bit of sweet at the end

>> No.5479290
File: 54 KB, 361x365, ReactionBear.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5476764
in highschool i worked at a cocacola distributor/warehouse.
>route drivers have a secret society
>our drivers trade return product (usually broken cases) with other delivery drivers and bring the spoils back to the warehouse
>one day they had an epic rendezvous with an oberto route driver
>fucking cases of free beef jerky
>beef jerky for days
>mother fucking free beef jerky by the case

>> No.5479318

skip american food and go to mexican

all our shit is skimp

>> No.5479327

Sorry for the late replies guys, wifi got knocked out. Surprised this thread still exists, lots of interesting suggestions too. Thanks!

>>5479172
Oh man, crunchy Cheetos are heaven. We only have those Cheetos Puffs or whatever you call it, the only crunchy ones we have are speciality items (read: expensive as fuck and not even that good). Brand is something like Tesi Bon of whatever. But anyway, good advice, and thanks for the Cheez-Its description. Gonna get me summa those.

>>5476834
Goot stuff bro, thanks. I'm a big fan of Canada Dry already, anything ginger ale is glorious. As is cream soda and vanilla coke, my weaknesses. I'll try your suggestions out, hopefully my teeth will still exist by the time I'm done.
Oh yeah, fun fact: my GF and in-laws are Hungarian as well, food over there is totally different from anywhere in the world but in the Netherlands we're relatively similar. Lots of overlap in products, at least.

>>5478767
Nah, it's not the only stuff that represents the USA, don't worry. There's a lot more: music, monuments, unique nature sites, drones, hilariously bad politics and law, barbecue madskillz, Hollywood / movies, Santa Claus, Fox News (hue hue) and these quaint little towns where life is still simple and nice.

Also, your list is purdy gerd, most of the stuff I've already had / we have here, but considering I've seen Whoppers mentioned multiple times here and I haven't had any, I'll make those definitive. Thanks bro.

>>5479318
Actually, I've had real Mexican food (as in, made by Mexicans) two days ago for the first time, before it was only Tex-Mex, but ah... Cilantro. Yeah, First experience, wasn't a nice one, seems I'm one of those people that sees it as soapy taste. Sad, kinda ruined a nice dinner for me.

>>5478928
That would be cool, man! :) No idea what I can offer in return that you might like / not have, but we'll see. Sling me an email, alexiacavenaugh at gmail, it's my trollmail but you'll get my regular address.

>> No.5479328

>>5479327
Goddammit, early morning without coffee yet. Spelling errors galore, I apologise.

>> No.5479338

>Baby Ruth
>Cheddar Jack Cheez-Its
>seconding Combos, specifically Pizzeria (Pepperoni Pizza isn't as good)
>Birthday Cake Oreos
>Sour Skittles
>Giant Chewy Sweettarts

>> No.5479341

>>5475759

>Jolly Rancher hard candies are strictly for people who want diabetes.

and yet you go on to recommend soda and reese's? the fuck is with you?

you sound like you're in an aggravating love/hate relationship with your national identity over its food.

did you know that overconsumption is the cause of obesity and type 2 diabetes, not the foods themselves?

>> No.5479344
File: 27 KB, 240x150, bfc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5476011

>not the cups

no, OP, get the cups. they're amazing.

>> No.5479346
File: 260 KB, 1220x1600, the carbonated elixir of the gods.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5479338
Whoa, hold on a second, that website claims to have a drink I haven't been able to find in the states for ages. If that's legitimately in stock I need to get my hands on it, and I highly recommend it.

>> No.5479351

>>5475327
Cool Ranch Doritos

>> No.5479352

>>5479346
If you want, I can give 'm a call to see if it's the real deal. Should I?

>>5479338
Birthday Cake Oreos? Huh. On the list.

>>5479341
That's all nice and jolly, but this isn't the thread for it. Simmer it down please.

>> No.5479356

>>5479352
Eh, the shipping to the states would probably be too high to justify buying it. I do have to wonder where they got it from, though.

>> No.5479359

snackpack cheese and peanut butter crackers

they're a persistent memory of nearly every American born after 1970, and a mouthful of oily sweet salty sand grit - Ritz makes them too (as well as many others), but the snackpack ones are the ultimate cheap

same goes for anything hostess - like eating sweetened puffed candles

>> No.5479362
File: 28 KB, 265x265, muh childhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you liked Lucky Charms, you might like Froot loops. My favorite cereal.

Absolutely try Cheese-itz

Goldfish crackers

and these

>> No.5479371

>>5479362
I was thinking about Froot Loops, but I'm not sure about the taste. Too strong fruity or whatever tastes don't do too well for me in the morning (I get nauseous or worse quite easily, not a morning person), sugarry flavors are okay though. How would you describe the taste of Froot Loops?

>> No.5479380
File: 160 KB, 600x600, image-1267451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5475327

This shit is pretty good OP, get it. I also recommend

Sour Jacks Watermelon
Sour Punch Straws
Rips

>> No.5479384

>>5479371
not him, but fruit loops are OK but were never a favorite of mine. Can you get a cereal called Apple Jacks? They are just like fruit loops but aren't rainbow colored and they all taste like apple with a little cinnamon. Probably my favorite surgarbomb-tier cereal.

Also OP is a cool guy and I'm going to look through that website and make a couple suggestions. Do you share any of this with other people OP? What do they think? Everything here is pretty much "junk food", I've seen lots of fellow Americans sperg about this stuff. I think it's OK to have in moderation and lots of it does taste really good.

>> No.5479404

>>5479384
Thanks for the compliment, bro! I'll share the suggestions in this thread with other interested Dutchies if possible, at least my friends and such. Only the rabid health freaks I know are all like "wuh wuh this is bad m'kay", but those people aren't my friends anyway. I love food, which means food of all kinds, be it world-class steaks (medium-rare master race, yeah boi!) or a cheapo bag of plain potato chips from the cheapest brand available because it has that particular taste I like. I don't care for class or quality or health, I care for taste and texture and how it makes me feel. My friends, luckily, agree. We go out to dinner at restaurants well above what we can afford, followed by barbecues with improvised grills, cheapo meat and even cheaper beer. Doesn't mean we don't have standards, we just look beyond the food I guess. Food is more than just a mass of particles, it represents more than that.

(Hope that answered your question? Wasn't sure what and how you meant it.)

>> No.5479415

>>5479404
Do you eat macaroni and cheese in Dutch land? You said you liked cheese flavored things. Just skimming that list the Velveeta shells and cheese popped out as a tasty cheesy food. If you want mac and cheese avoid the Kraft dinner and get that one. Another is Jolly Ranchers candy if you like something tart, fruity, and sort of sour. I like anything Jolly Rancher but I suggest the hard candy, it's a tried and true classic. All the chews and soft ones are pretty new.

I might find a few more if I can't go back to sleep. Its 5 in the morning here, I was asleep but woke up. Fucking insomnia man.

>> No.5479419

>>5479415
I know your pain bro, I can only sleep with meds nowadays. Most of my nights I just lay in bed in the dark, cuddling with the dog until the alarm goes off. Better 'n nothing.

Anyway, Mac 'n Cheese is an American staple I'm afraid, too 'simple' for us here. Dutch cuisine is mostly an amalgam of different cultural dishes, Italian is very popular so anything pasta + cheese is usually Italian-based. I tried M&C before though (Kraft), it was pretty good. After some investigation I found out it's meant as a side-dish, right? Not a main course?

>> No.5479424

>>5479419
Generally, the two consumer groups who eat it the most (little kids and twentysomethings) eat it as a main course. For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen it marketed otherwise, but I usually buy the really cheapo brand in the plain packaging.

As an aside, cooking the noodles with some frozen mixed veggies and then adding the sauce and so forth is surprisingly tasty.

>> No.5479426

>>5479424
Good idea, I'll try that. Just barebones it's a bit too simple, tasty but lacks a certain balance or richness. I've seen tips like adding a bit of (cooking) cream or milk as well, might try that next.

>> No.5479430

>>5479419
It should be a side dish, only college kids and rednecks would have a dinner of just mac and cheese. There are different types of the dish too. Kraft and velveeta are fine for a cheap quick side dish for a non fancy meal but the made from scratch stuff is where it's at. You can bake the noodles like a casserole mixed with several different types of real cheeses, milk, and eggs, then at the end you top with seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan and broil until the top layer crisps up.

And yea insomnia is a bitch. I hate when I finally fall asleep and then wake up wide awake at some ungodly hour and end up watching the sun rise after three hours sleep. I never know whether to go back to sleep and waste half the day or just say fuck it and ride the day out on a three hour rest night.

>> No.5479431

wait a min, lemme tiurn down thr rassilin match .gety me a shhot of jack and pour tat Bud jin ared cu'p321 wiait you forgot my dubkle1/4 lbs with amerifatychese and quart orfwsoda. you are us .an insult.otay scares me not.. not a bit we are you. but we clean up good and on thyme and goat you are us. or we are you. not bad deal you are us and we try to be you - the fuck ups ( looking for my coffee cup,,, pass.what? ok just a thought
barbed wire. turned to keep people in or out?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFwSzZQ4MVInf

>> No.5479432

>>5479426
My sister also adds ham, but I'm not fond of ham so I can't vouch for it myself.