[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 81 KB, 500x500, green_lentils-text408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5465438 No.5465438[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Got some lentils, /ck/. What simple dish can I make with that and some vegetables?

>> No.5465449

what the fuck are you asking? cook them together and eat them if you want something simple. It's not hard.

>> No.5465466

>>5465449
How to cook.

>> No.5465495

>>5465466
boil that shit. all of it, for like a hour. get some out with a spoon and try it before you turn off the heat.

>> No.5465506

>>5465466
Soak overnight, throw in crock with some stock, onion, garlic, spices, bit of animal fat (pork recommended), let stew for a few hours. Hell, throw some black and kidney beans in there too. Steam veggies, throw on top of lentils. Boom.

>> No.5465587

I eat lentils maybe 5 times a week, simple things. Cook lentils with water (1 part lentils, 2 parts water) until they are almost done, probably 25-30 minutes. If the water all evaporates, add some more water. Then, in a pan, put some oil or butter and cook finely chopped onions, celery, green pepper, carrots until they have a little browning on them. Throw them in with the lentils. Add some salt maybe, and whatever kind of spices you like. A tiny splash of vinegar or lemon/lime juice works as well.

Um, then you finish cooking it and it's a pot of some food you can eat.

>> No.5465591

>>5465506
Lentils don't need to be soaked overnight unless you want mush. A couple of hours will do, make some pork chops and serve the lentils as a side.

>> No.5465628

>>5465587
This, right here.

/thread

>> No.5465632

>>5465587
lol /thread agreed

>> No.5465714

boil the lentils for a while and then cook with some vegetables

>> No.5465724

pressure cooker, pan in pot method, with brown rice and lightly steamed kale or whatever
sprout lentils and/or rice if you want
stir turmeric into brown rice before cooking
add lemon juice and soy sauce before eating

>> No.5466028

lentils. smoked ham hocks. cover with water. cook in crock pot until creamy. remove hocks. remove bones and chop up meat. return to stewed lentils. add salt and vinegar to taste.

>> No.5467864

>>5465438
Daal. Soak them for a bit and then cook them with some caramalised onions, chilli powder, cumin, coriander until the water has evaporated.
Bastardised daal.

>> No.5468121
File: 83 KB, 500x534, Deconstructed-bombay-mix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lentils are by far my favourite part of Bombay Mix because they seem to be the source of all the spicy flavour for some reason. It's always been my dream to find somewhere that sells bags of Bombay Mix lentils. Not any of the other stuff, the raisins, the peanuts, etc. Just the spicy lentils with the spicy salty flavouring.

Pic is what I used to do for years. I'd save the lentils until last. I didn't even know they were lentils, didn't know what they were. Nobody did.

>> No.5468232

I need your help /ck/.

>>5468121 here:

So I've been looking into preparing my own Bombay Mix style lentils and found a recipe that says fry some (red) lentils until "golden."
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-cuisines/indian/bombay-mix-recipe

Would that work, just frying them in oil? Recipe says vegetable oil. I was thinking of using sesame oil, or would that smoke before it was hot enough?

Anyway, my plan is to use a couple more ingredients that are in the recipe (sunflower seeds and pistachios), and use most of the spice mix from the recipe: Chilis and coriander leaves, curry powder, turmeric and citric acid (would lemon/lime juice do?).

Supposing I followed the recipe but with the changes I mentioned above, would that work?

Also, the recipe says to fry each ingredient seperately, is that really necessary? Why can't I fry them together?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

>> No.5468256

>>5468232
>Also, the recipe says to fry each ingredient seperately, is that really necessary? Why can't I fry them together?

I haven't made that particular recipe, but in general with Indian cooking extracting the aromas from the ingredients is critical. Since each ingredient is in different sized pieces, has its own smoke point, and reaches the required temperature in a different amount of time, dumping it all into the pan together would result in some aromas being underextracted and others overextracted.

>> No.5468274

>>5468232
So here's the recipe I've formulated so far. I'm pretty drunk so if there are any glaring errors, well, that's why I'm here asking you guys:

6 tbsp green lentils
6 tbsp shelled pistachios
6 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 small green chilis, finely sliced
handful of fresh coriander leaves

Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat and fry the above ingredients one at a time until golden, placing each ingredient on kitchen paper once cooked, to absorb the oil.

Oh shit, I have to dry roast the dessicated coconut in a pan without oil now... Maybe I'll leave that out, or do that first, then add oil for the above ingredients. I want to do this all in one pan if possible.

Once it's all cooled mix the above with:
1/4 tsp turmeric (a pinch?)
small pinch of citric acid - again - I need to know if lime juice would work here, or is there really an ingredient I need to go get called "citric acid?"
salt (to taste)

Those coriander leaves... Am I supposed to finely chop them at some point? I don't ever recall seeing big leaves of anything in any Bombay Mix I've tried.

>>5468256
Cool, thanks. So I better be watching the heat and keeping a close eye on each ingredient too.

>> No.5468278

I often cook a dish my grandmother used to make, she's Persian and her husband was Iraqi so it probably comes from that region. It's called "mejadra" and it's very basic and nutritious.

You need equal parts green lentils and rice (usually white rice, preferably the kind that doesn't get sticky when soft), an onion and some garlic, salt and pepper and lots of cumin. for 2-3 dishes I usually use 1+1 cups.

Clean and wash the lentils, chop some onion and little garlic and fry them in a pot until golden, throw in the lentils, plenty of salt and some pepper, and a lot of cumin (it should be the main flavor). fry together for 1-2 minutes and add coiling water to slightly cover it up, lower the flame and let it cook for a few minutes until the lentils start to go soft. meanwhile wash the rice until the water's clear, then add the rice into the pot and fill with boiling/hot water until covered again, mix well and add more cumin and salt because there's never enough and my tastebuds are basically nonexistent; you're aiming for a another several minutes of cooking that will leave you with a dish that has no excess liquid, so add the water accordingly.

After a few minutes the rice should be ready - not so soft that it sticks but not so hard that it's crunchy when you chew. The lentils should preferably be firm as well. At any point feel free to add more cumin and salt, and wonder why nothing ever tasted strong to you your whole life. Serve. Goes well with yoghurt on the side!

Sorry for being vague and inaccurate, I'm no cook and I just dropped by this board looking for something, and English is a third language to me. But it tastes great, it's fast and easy to make and it's really cheap and very nutritious.

Hey there's a wikipedia title for this dish!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mejadra

>> No.5468293

>>5468274
Oh, and I've left out the curry leaves because it's damn expensive, but I could possibly get them if I stretch my budget. Could 1tbsp curry/chili powder work instead? And if so, how would it be added?

Recipe says to fry the curry leaves seperate. I can't see any way of frying curry powder that would work in this case. I guess I'm buying curry leaves.

>> No.5468311

>>5468278
That sounds great I've saved that recipe and added cumin to my shopping list! And your English is perfect so don't worry about that.

My friend's father comes from Iraq and taught him a few recipes, including a lamb meatball which takes days to make. He's pretty good in the kitchen and everything he's made me from an Iraqi recipe has been delicious, so I'll trust this one.

>> No.5468321
File: 218 KB, 369x337, 1400493156496.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jedra / Mujadarra!!! Delicious:

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014804/one-pot-mujadara-with-leeks-and-greens.html