[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3.01 MB, 2832x2128, strawberry-cake-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5459083 No.5459083 [Reply] [Original]

Alright /ck/ I need some tips and ideas. My sister's birthday is coming up and I wanna make a cake for her that she hasn't seen before. She bakes for fun, so here's my initial ideas:
>>Two layer cake
>>Strawberry cake mix
>>possibly white icing (for appearance/contrast), maybe chocolate (for flavor)
>>chocolate glaze on top

She'll probably think it's a chocolate cake because we've only ever seen chocolate exterior cakes with chocolate interior. Hopefully this makes it more interesting. Will it still taste okay?

Also I want to incorporate 'real' strawberries somehow, maybe for garnish or texture. I have a ton of frozen sliced strawberries and I was thinking of one of these:
>>Place on top of icing but underneath the chocolate glaze
>>chop up a bit more and mix into the batter
>>Just place on top of glaze for more color

I'm lazy and cheap so yeah, it'll be from a box mix with store bought icing. I mainly want to make it presentable (I never had cake mix from a box taste bad). I'll probably make a sculpture out of chocolate if I feel like burning some more time, something overused and 'impressive' like the Eiffel tower, maybe even use it to hold a candle.
Let me know if any of these ideas are obviously bad (like putting fruit in the batter) or stupid (like a chocolate Eiffel tower). I know I can do all of these ideas easily, I just wanna make sure I get some opinions before I screw it up.

Pic related

>> No.5459091

Also, here's the chocolate glaze thing I wanna try. I don't think she's ever done something like this, usually she just uses fondant or icing.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chocolate-Shadow-Cake/

>> No.5460311
File: 593 KB, 370x335, 5kjLf.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

self bump
No takers? I'll be making this thing after work today so I'll check again and hope for some ideas.

>> No.5460323

I wouldn't use frozen strawberries for decoration. When they thaw they will get soft and runny.

>> No.5460344

>>5459083
Why would you go through all the effort of decorating something elaborate if if takes just a few minutes more to make it from scratch. You sister will be floored at both the appearance and the taste.

Yes, a red, white and dark chocolate color palate will work just fine.
Frozen strawberries are awful to work with- depending on where you live, you can get them on the cheap right now.

>> No.5460371

>box mix with fake icing

seriously
fuck you
if you gave me that on my birthday I would fucking kill you

>> No.5460376 [DELETED] 

So your fucki.g your sister?

>> No.5460378

So your fucking your sister?

>> No.5460380

>>5460371
First u would suck my cock.

>> No.5460381

>>5460371
Can you make strawberry cake from scratch? I'm using a box mix because even if it's artificially flavored it tastes good. Most of the real strawberry recipes I've made before were too sour.
We have enough ingredients to make buttercream icing. I suppose I can do that but I haven't tried before.

>>5460378
Naw she's not my type.

>> No.5461403

A super tasty and easy cake this time of year is a yellow cake (but you could go choc) with fresh strawberries and whipped cream for frosting.

>> No.5461577

>>5460381
>Can you make strawberry cake from scratch

How do you think they made the mix, summoned it from another earth?

>> No.5461597

good luck with that... cakes are hard to do right

my advice keep it simple... only 1 layer... focus your effort on a nice icing job