[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 12 KB, 148x248, cooking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5432867 No.5432867[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I put some 6-7 slices of fish into a hot bowl to defrost some 15min ago. Now I read it's not how it's done unless you want food poisoning. Should I scrap em or are they salvageable?

(i read the package to defrost in fridge but two of my peers said it was fine, [lol])

>> No.5432870

In hot water?

>> No.5432881

>>5432867

It's only been 15 min. You're fine.

The danger is if you leave food out at warm temperatures for a long period of time (hours).

>> No.5432890

You aren't going to be poisoned but you fucked the texture of the fish. Toss em.

>> No.5432891

>>5432870

Yeah. Now I read it's fine to do so if it's in a short period. from. lifehacker citing some USDA study. Comments seem to agree. That confirmation bias on Internet though. Don't know.

>> No.5432905

they'll be fine unless you started, you know, cooking them.

>> No.5432985

Chances are you will live, be slightly disappointed in the texture of the fish because the hot bowl will/might have cooked it a little bit so you'd end up with par-cooked and later, overcooked fish.

To be honest, in a home setting, the defrosting time for small quantities isn't going to be a huge risk as the smaller quantities of frozen items means that the total time required isn't enough for bacteria to multiply and grow. Let me use the following as an example:
>Defrost 2 chicken breasts
>Do it in hot water, it takes 30 minutes.
>Total amount of time chicken breasts in environment good for microbial growth: ~30 minutes.

The problem is that people take this mindset and take it to a commercial place where you'd have to leave a large bag of defrosting food in hot water longer and thus, give it a much longer time for microbes to multiply.
>Defrost 100 chicken breasts
>Do it in hot water, it takes 6 hours.
>Total amount of time chicken breasts in environment good for microbial growth: ~300 minutes.

>> No.5432987

>>5432985
360 minutes.

Typo, sorry.

>> No.5433000
File: 19 KB, 500x374, DangersOfVeganism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5432867
> Now I read it's not how it's done unless you want food poisoning.
they just dont want you to keep the fish in the "Danger Zone" for too long. 15 minutes is fine! Come on. You think in 15 minutes Godzilla's gonna hatch on your fish? stop.

> Should I scrap em or are they salvageable?
ive been doing shit like this my entire life! I usually just leave meat in a bowl of water - OVERNIGHT. Super danger zone! never been sick. You'll be absolutely fine.

The precautions are there for liability reasons... its like asking a dentist "what happens if i dont brush my teeth every day?" (pic related)

>> No.5433006

>>5432985
Good, work Smith. Your mindset example works well with my "the precautions are there for liability reasons" blurb

>> No.5433016

>>5432891
>Don't know.

so apply what you learned at school and make a rational decision.

Since bacteria take time to multiply it should be pretty obvious that doing this for a short time period would be fine.

>> No.5433020

>>5432881

This is correct. I took a sanitation and hygiene class taught by a health inspector and he said this.

>> No.5433023

>>5433006
Well..for liability reasons and that some people who operate commercial eateries are honestly pants on head retarded. It is best to tell them the least dangerous way to do something because you know they're going to fuck it up anyway.

I once knew of a man who worked at a diner, his boss switches off the electricity to the walk-in fridge every night to 'save on electricity bills'
And he defrosts food on the steam table...on the same surface where all of the prepped and cooking food is place because 'the steam will disinfect it'.
>See them steaming vegetables
>There's a pool of bloody meat juices pooling underneath it.
>Why do vegetables leak bloody meat juice
>Owner came in and started defrosting some pork on top of the tray of veg.

>> No.5433027
File: 1.92 MB, 405x365, bvFlJ.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5432867
Hey that's bruno

>> No.5433041

>>5433023
well, technically steam DOES sterilize things... also Im not a germiphobe so meat juices on my veggies sounds good.

But.. I think that people in charge of OTHER people's food have a higher responsibility. Just because I have no value for my life, doesn't mean someone else doesn't... you can't do that. You can't put someone in such an awkward position... Just like the police have a higher responsibility then the average person with a gun ... people working in the kitchen need to take every precaution.

If i opened a restaraunt, i would follow all those retarded FDA policies on the DOT. Not only to keep my health rating up, and the "reputation" in the back... (it helps when your employees feel like they're working for a good place. It makes them work harder.)... but also just because I have a responsibility to do that. I can't just start making decisions about other people's lives.

So, to review: I constantly leave frozen chickens on the counter overnight and give no fucks, if im cooking for my self. However, if im cooking for someone else, i will use the most conservative safety methods. This does mean that sometimes i have to over cook steak when i cook for family.. and that breaks my heart.
> blood
not again..

>> No.5433050

>>5433041
but the steam from a steam table doesnt come in contact with the food. you put water in the wells and then put in hotel pans and put the food in that and cover. they are just designed to hold the food at an appropriate temp not to heat it to the recommended initial cooking temp.

afa OP youll be fine but i think its stupid to thaw in hot water. one it promotes bacterial growth and the main issue for me is it starts cooking the meat. it doesnt take that long to thaw in cool circulating water

>> No.5433077

>>5433041
Not as in the meat juices that drip out when you carve a roast.

It was the stuff that pools underneath the Styrofoam trays supermarkets package their meat in. It's pretty much just bloody water.

I leave out food all the time...well, it really depends on the climate and humidity of where you are. I can leave a bowl of soup out in winter and it'll be fine when I check it again at dinner time..or I can leave a bowl of soup out in the summer and you can physically smell that it's gone off by the time I wake up in the morning.

At where I was from, it used to get so humid, mold beef jerky, just from the ambient humidity.