[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 13 KB, 400x400, HeinzVinegar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5432150 No.5432150[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What is vinegar for and which kinds should you have in your kitchen?

I find vinegar sparsely in different recipes, but don't know what it does or why it's a necessity.

>> No.5432155

It adds acidity, and helps to preserve things, ie pickles.

>> No.5432156

I have white vinegar, malt vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and various balsamic vinegars.

I use the white vinegar for cleaning and the rest primarily in salad dressings.

>> No.5432159

It adds flavor to sandwiches

>> No.5432163

I think vinegars can give a lot of body to a dish. Sometimes you want only a little for that sense of body, or sometimes you want more for acidity. I find you can add just a little to anything like a stew or soup. Try and see if you like it that way. I think just a little red wine vinegar goes well with tomatoes, so you can try some when you make spaghetti. Black rice vinegar goes well where you might use fish sauce or soy sauce.

>> No.5432166

I really love love salt and vinegar chips. But I don't know how to apply that vinegar flavor to other dishes.

>> No.5432167
File: 244 KB, 500x552, tumblr_mfb7hv7yCs1qb5gkjo7_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can add flavor to salads, fried things like fish n chips, good for cleaning things and using in machines that stain easily (coffee, tea, etc.) My mom used to clean the iced tea maker with vinegar and it stank up the kitchen but worked wonders. It's also good for preserving as the above anon listed, and general cannery.

Apple cider vinegar is pretty good for tough cuts of meat due to the acidity.

dunno how legit this picture is as I saved it a long time ago

>> No.5432173

>>5432167
How would you go about using apple cider vinegar for meat? Just pour it on then cook the meat?

>> No.5432211

>>5432150

Lentil soup.

>> No.5432221

Various vinegars have different uses but they're all commonly used to lift up a dish and cut through fat.

>> No.5432224

>>5432173
TBH I dont know why you would use vinegar for that, Id rather make a brine and soak any tough meat for a couple of hours before cooking.

>> No.5432225

>>5432173
Not them but vinegar is good for marinades.

>> No.5432254

I keep apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar, red white and sherry wine vinegar, balsamic and white balsamic vinegar and plan white vinegar in my pantry.

I use the cider vinegar in various things like sauces, dressing for german potato salad, to finish greens like spinach and kale when i cook it. Malt vinegar mainly on french fries, the wine vinegars for salad dressing, the balsamics for dressings and just to splash on tomato and cucumber salads with some olive oil. I use the white vinegar for cleaning and for occasional recipes that call for it.

>> No.5432333

>>5432173
>How would you go about using apple cider vinegar for meat?

In a marinade. Marinades usually contain an acidic component to help the flavor penetrate the meat. It is commonly vinegar, but could also be fruit juice.

>> No.5432341

>>5432150
>but don't know what it does or why it's a necessity.

It's acidic. It adds a sour taste and is often used to offset a fatty dish.

>> No.5432586

>>5432163
yeah I like it in broth soups myself just for a bit of tang
salads too

>> No.5432589

I use white vinegar on fries and occasionally for cleaning.

>> No.5432601

I keep white vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and rice vinegar

I need to get some malt vinegar

>> No.5432602

I go through vinegar a lot. Adobo, Vindaloo, BBQ, various dips and sauces.

>> No.5432609

>Ctrl F: Gastrique
>Nada
damnit /ck/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrique

>> No.5432628

Malt vinegar for fish and chips, balsamic for fries.
Good for quickly pickling things.

Vinegar is magic.

>> No.5432633

>>5432628
err, balsamic for salads

although I'd totally try balsamic fries

>> No.5432637

i have balsamic and malt for cooking, and white vinegar in 2l bottles for cleaning.
vinegar and baking soda can clean basically your entire house.

>> No.5432699

>>5432225
you dont want acids in a marinade it breaks down the proteins and turns them to mush

>> No.5433666

in my kitchen i have...

>red wine
>pomegranate red wine
>white wine
>rice
>malt
>tarragon infused malt
>apple cider
>balsamic
>pear white balsamic
>raspberry white balsamic
>calamansi balsamic

all except the calamansi, which i just purchased today, are your basic store bought vinegars. the calamansi i picked up from vom fass, a little shop (well, it's a franchise, apparently) that sells gourmet oils, vinegars, and spirits by the 100ml. they carried VERY tasty, albeit expensive, balsamics they let the customer sample. i went with the calamansi because it was such a unique flavor, sweet yet quite tart which i love in a vinegar.

i commonly use vinegar as a condiment/seasoning on whatever seems appropriate, mostly stuff like pastas, stir fries, soups, cold veggies/salads, etc. there is little method to madness other than the flavor and level of acidity my palette calls for at the moment; although, i find the red wine(s) work best in pasta dishes with tomato-based sauce, the balsamic and tarragon-infused malt in chicken soups, and the sweeter flavor infused balsamics for drizzling on or used as a dip for bread.

>> No.5433687

>>5432699
wut

many marinades make use of acid, and for good reason

>> No.5433714

A bit of vinegar when making stock helps draw out the calcium and break down the bones

It's also good for disinfecting fresh produce

>> No.5435586

>>5432150
spirit vinegar is used for vindaloo. Its also used in various pickles and relishes. Its probably one of the least commonly used for most people though.

>> No.5435614

>>5432699
false

>> No.5435628

>>5432609
Most people use other shit to sub for the gastrique.
For instance, adding a dash of tomato ketchup into tomato sauce is identical to making a gastrique since the sauce already had a white wine vinegar gastrique in it.

>> No.5435634

>>5435628
I should also point out that if you balance your acids from the start (think wine) you shouldn't need a gastrique.

>> No.5435642

apple cider vinegar is great for drinking

>> No.5435643

>>5435634
most gastriques nowadays are used by themselves rather than being added to samething

>> No.5435708

>>5433666

>tfw you basically spend your entire money on gourmet food, records, clothes and weed