[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 110 KB, 500x334, tortillas-a-mano.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5375931 No.5375931 [Reply] [Original]

Allright so it seems the time is right once again.
MEXICAN FOOD GENERAL

I'm the beaner who's brought you this thread before answering questions about pretty much anything I know or can get my hands on.
Recipes, utensils, tradition vs modernism, etc. Fire away.
I'm preparing some books I've downloaded so you can have them and other freebies.
The guy who's posting full recipes is welcome here too

>> No.5376001

>>5375931
where did you go to school

>> No.5376007

how come veracruz is a shithole

>> No.5376008

>>5375931
What do you use to season your meats?

>> No.5376027

>>5376007
>how come veracruz is a shithole
Veracruz is one of the few states I need a home in.
FUCK YOU Veracruz is anything but a shithole.

>> No.5376028

>>5375931
>general

>> No.5376029

>>5376001
universidad veracruzana, I studied chemical engineering
>>5376007
It depends if you mean the city of veracruz which is a shithole, or the whole state which is not.
>>5376008
It really depends on what I'm after, For a good steak nothing but salt and pepper medium rare, maybe a drizzle of lime juice and salsa.
If it's some cheaper cut I could go for lime and chile, or perhaps some garlic and onion.
Of course that for the most part the meat is used in salsas.

>> No.5376033

>>5376028
?? I don't get it
GENERÁL would be better?

>> No.5376035

>>5376029
Chili powder or fresh chillies?

>> No.5376060

>>5376029
>>5376008
If you're going to season steak, like a cut of arrachera, use some lime juice, soy sauce/ Worcestershire , cumin, black pepper, minced garlic (DO NEVER USE powder), and some oregano. Some people like to add beer, but I tend not to.

>> No.5376085

what the fuck brought you to this image site

>> No.5376092

What are your favorite nuts/seeds to use in sauces? I'm thinking of making pipian with some tongue I bought the other day.

>> No.5376128

>>5376035
Powder usually, probably something spicy like piquin because mulatos and the others make too much of a paste leaning towards a salsa.
Fresh chiles could be serrano, chiltepin, amaxito or habanero, something that will pop with flavor but as before, not leave too much residue.
>>5376060
Arrachera is barely meat, and certainly does not count as steak. But yeah if you're gonna eat that you should marinate it with loads of things since it has no taste.
>>5376085
Fox news. I wanted to hang out with hackers on steroids.
>>5376092
Well pipian certainly is great be it red or green. It depends on the sauce, salsas machas go well with peanuts, almonds or walnuts, the latter which are used in the very famous chiles en nogada. We have the most amazing pine nuts in the world (very low arsenic and selenium, Different varieties of pine), and although they are expensive here we use them for very special dishes for example, filling some very good chiles rellenos and a lot of sweets but I digress. Pumpkin seeds come in different varieties and I believe the best are from the calabaza de castilla or the chilacayote which are some pumpkins with white spaghetti innards. Those chilacayotes you will find caramelized because they aren't as popular as they used to be.

>> No.5376140

>>5376128
rate these herbs from best to worst

mexican mint, hoja santa, epazote, avocado leaf, pipicha, papalo, cilantro and finally mexican oregano

>> No.5376153

Molcajete i will assume you have one.
How long have you had it
Is it a hand me down
Name the quickest salsa you make also name the your favorite not so quick salsa made with it.
What is the regular spicyness you enjoy.

>> No.5376171

>>5376140
Well it depends as always in order of their usefulness
cilantro
hoja santa
epazote
oregano
mint
avocado
pápalo
pipicha

Pápalo and pipicha are pretty interesting herbs pápalo is only eaten raw, avocado leaf is only used dried and it's from the small aguacatillo which you eat with it's black skin.
Epazote comes in different varieties some very pungent and some milder, hoja santa or whatever you want to call it is very delicious in many different recipes.
We have a spiny cilantro that I guess is not a cilantro at all but tastes similar although much stronger, and an oregano cimarron or oregano gordo which is thick and meaty but milder than european oregano.
Chile leafs are also used, and some people actually use the coriander root just like in thailand, basil is used almost exclusively for health teas and ceremonies. I get weird looks when I say I want a bunch because I'm gonna eat it.

>> No.5376180

>>5376153
Yes I do, pic related.
It's a new buy, I've had it for approximately 4 years, the handmedowns aren't ready to be downhanded just yet.
Fast salsas can be anything from a couple of garlic bulbs, chile (whichever you can get your hands on) salt and a little water or vinegar.
Moving along you can add spices and onion which is waaay tougher than garlic thanks to it's skin, raw tomato or raw green tomato.
And for not so quick I would call upon a half charred half fresh tomato salsa, the tomatos, onion, one garlic and a couple of chiles cooked in the griddle and more chile and garlic raw. You can fry it afterwords if you like.

I actually enjoy all kinds of spicyness as most people do although I also have a fondness for very hot sauces, fermented habanero garlic sauce or a good salsa macha from piquines and chipotle are always good.
As you may know, most of the spicyness we add at the table although there are some dishes that rely on it.

>> No.5376182
File: 198 KB, 1600x1200, molcajete.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5376180
stupid
PIC RELATED

>> No.5376212

>>5375931
What was your first job also what do you do today for income?
What sort of books are you preparing and what other books are like it today.

>> No.5376215

>>5376128
>Well pipian certainly is great be it red or green
and lets not forget about the white version which is favorite of mine too.I had it first in D.F cooked in a almond and caper sauce.I make this often and wish I could do it as good as the one I tried in DF.

What are your thoughts on the following :
Oaxacan Pasilla chile
Guajes
escamoles
flying ants

I'm taking notes

>> No.5376218

>>5376212
Well by preparing is downloading and skimming them to give you in a torrent
I would like to write a book someday, at least an origami one and a mexican cooking one.
I'm trying to put up a little restaurant although I've never worked in one, I worked in a compressed gases plant before.

>> No.5376251

>>5376215
Oaxacan pasilla is basically pasilla although they do have a couple of different ones, even a smoked one. They are tasty but usually rely too much on sweetness to bring out their flavours.
Guajes are good but maybe an acquired taste, they have a little sulphuric smell to them that coupled with their light bitterness and sap flavour make some people not like them. When coupled with eggs they are famous for the pungent gassyness they cause.
I haven't tried escamoles but they look pretty pretty good.
Flying ants I have tried, chicantanas and a chiapanecan NUKÚ, they taste pretty good, strong and odorous of prime protein pretty good for eating them fried with only chile salt and lime juice or in sauces.
Grasshoppers as you may guess are many many species that range from about 4-5 mm to 4-5 cm (I mean the edible kinds), and have wildly differing tastes, some are light and taste like sun (I say like sun because some dryland mescales taste similar, like sunbaked or something), others taste like fresh sweet grass smells like and others still have a strong meaty taste reminiscent of the ants.
Another not so famous insect is an oak worm that tastes great.
June bug larvae can also be eaten, but you must rip out their intestines by pulling on the head as you sqeeze them lightly, they taste pretty good and somehow give out their own grease so no oil necessary.
Jumiles I have not tried but I crave the little fuckers and maguey worms aren't all that they are hacked up to be.

>> No.5376255
File: 327 KB, 1632x1224, Aguas Frescas_Ricardo Ibarra.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5376218
What did you have to eat during semana santa.
Do you grow much of what you eat or have you.
Pavo chivo pollo what do you usually have for your birthday.

>> No.5376259

>>5375931
How to "authentically" apply annatto oil to meats, vegetables, and starches. What foods it compliments and when to add, ie, marinades, sauces, or raw as a garnish.

I'll bump later after I clear my mind. Been really digging into Latin foods in general lately.

>> No.5376265

>>5376255
I'm not catholic but common dishes for "cuaresma" are chiles rellenos with some fish, fish stew or shrimp stew, shrimp fritters which are made from dry shrimp dust and beaten egg, romeritos, nopales en molillo.
So as you imagine chicken anything, seafood anything, capirotada which is a fried stale bread dessert cooked in syrup.
For my birthday I usually whip up whatever I can buy and I'm interested in, last year I made a pork leg roast in my dutch oven, it turned out ok, I inspired myself in traditional british pork roast with vegetables serving as a cooking bottom and when caramelized a thick tasty sauce.

>> No.5376266

What is your opinion on ghetto tortilla sopapillas?

>> No.5376289

How much of mexico have you had the chance to enjoy have they been for extended stays over 3 weeks or just a few days here and there.
Where would you plan your next vacation to both internationally and within mexico.
Do you come from a big family 8+ brothers and sisters and do both of your parents meaning you you have regular family gathering with big parties.

>> No.5376294

>>5376259
Well annato oil I've never heard about apparently it's just achiote mixed in oil, annato paste I have.
It has a light flavour so it's lost some of it's importance but it goes well with chocolate and many meats.
Do not, Do not use storebought annato paste in chocolate, those little bricks are already mixed with other condiments and more importantly vinegar and salt so if you do want to taste chocolate with achiote find some other source.
The paste is usually added as a rub on meat or as an ingredient for meat sauces, it is usually combined with allspice, clove garlic pepper vinegar or lime juice or other suitable acid, we as I said either rub it on for example pork steaks (with dry chile powder) to make carne enchilada or without for pastor, you can rub it to some chicken for roasting or to fish for some kinds of zarandeado, you can also dilute it with water and boil the protein in it for imitation pibil and pastor, or for some kinds of pollo en adobo.
Lastly it is very uncommon to see it in vegetable dishes but some molillos for nopales or crucetas use it, these dishes sometimes add stringbeans "ejotes", frijol gordo or verdolagas.
In sweets it's usually just a paint for tamales, and mazapan.

>> No.5376305

>>5376218
What would be your specialties in your dream menu?
pls include appetizers as well

>> No.5376312

>>5376266
They're like tapadas, gorditas rellenas or gorditas.
I wouldn't try and eat them as an accompaniment but as a meal with something on top. But I guess they could be alright, maybe they shouldn't fry them.
>>5376289
well I know mexico city a little, chiapas, veracruz and nuevoleon are the places I frequent.
I'm pretty poor so extended stays in anywhere else, and vacations are not available. I use the power of the internet and books to travel.
My family is just me and my sister, my parents are separated, so no big family reunions.
Plus we're disgregated over those three states.
I did live in davis california when I was a child.

>> No.5376329

>>5376305
Woah!
I guess a whole bunch of different tortillas, all handmade from different corns and in different styles. I would just serve them with a bunch of different salsas and cheeses. Like a tortilla sampler (I'll include totopos and tostadas).
So I guess it's basically an appetizer buffet.
Common great heartier dishes would include rajas con crema, huitlacoche, salpicón, mixiotes of lamb, cabrito, pumpkin flowers, beans of course, multiple different beans, some adobos, some moles, some egg dishes like revueltos en salsa, maybe some seafood like pulpos zarandeados, garlic shrimp (you have to taste my fucking garlic shrimp).

As you said, dream since it's a lot of fucking work, especially making fresh nixtamal tortillas.

For drinks some aguas frescas, lemon-chia, jamaica which I think you call hibiscus, horchata made from coconut, almonds and melon seeds (each one separate of course) and maybe a callback like colofonía de cebada or tepache.

Alcohols should be covered with toritos, mistelas and white liquour infused with diverse fruits and medicinal plants.

>arrachera
Get the fuck out of here.

>> No.5377988
File: 79 KB, 1200x1414, k0jfg 886865.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Spicy chocolate drinks cold ones and hot ones. Any good recipes worth trying.

>> No.5378270
File: 49 KB, 500x500, 1398123176979.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5375931
que onda pa, (leelo como si lo djera un vato de los puntos) saludos de tamaulipas carnal

and for those who can't read spanish i was saying hi to this chap in a niggerish (beannerish!!!) way (and if you want a literal translation it would go something like this:
Sup dog (read it as the dealer in the crack house) greetings from tamaulipas bro

>> No.5378293

>>5375931
What is the proper marinade and seasoning for asada?

>> No.5378301

>>5378270
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CcSVHQSDU

>> No.5378303

>>5378301
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQmqEhHPgoU

>> No.5378304

>>5378293
the main thing you want for good asada is a wood fired grill something like mesquite is a great choice

Usually salt pepper is fine enough garlic powder adds something nice put that on the meat add a bear should you feel a desire to do so.

>> No.5378327

Whenever I make tortillas from masa (Maseca) they never turn out like the ones that come from the tortilleria. Maybe I should make them thicker instead? I have no idea what I'm doing.

>> No.5378334
File: 908 KB, 500x255, ahhh verga.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBraH0VBDxQ

>> No.5378338

Carlos Vela or Chicharito

>> No.5378367

>>5378301
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQmqEhHPgoU

Why does that guy look like Guy Fieri had a baby with Keith Urban

>>5378303
and why do those guys sounds like a West Texas oompah band from 1952?

>> No.5378371

What is your favorite foriegn food and do you have any authentic local joints that serve it? (Italian/sushi/burgers/French/Greek/Chinese regional etc)

>> No.5378474

>>5376294
Annatto oil here. I was shitting earlier because I couldn't find the thread! I wrote down a ton of words to look up and add to my culinary journal. Many thanks for the in depth response.

Two lesser food related questions. 1 - what is molillo? Google wasn't my friend on that one.

2. If I am coming from the Eastern US via the Gulf coast, how safe am I and where are good places to see Mexico for its everyday (non-tourist) appeal and food. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but all I hear about Mexico is death and drugs, which is terrible because I've always wanted to go.

>> No.5378504

How do you feel about Baja (mainly tijuana) being Mexico's new culinary capital?

>> No.5378559
File: 16 KB, 300x361, coladera-blanca.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5378504
I would say its going to be hot for 18 months or so then die out much like tequilas a few years back. Basically its just a bunch of marketing bullshit more than anything not to say the food is not worth a damn.

>> No.5378578

>>5375931

You do this same thread every fucking day, fuck off.

>> No.5378582
File: 1.98 MB, 720x404, day9kp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5378578

>> No.5378606

>>5378559
>I would say its going to be hot for 18 months or so

>http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/rick-bayless-in-baja

>Does Baja have Mexico’s most exciting food? PBS star Rick Bayless makes a case.

>"I didn't think Mexico could still surprise me," says Rick Bayless, the star chef at Chicago's Frontera Grill and the host of PBS's Mexico—One Plate at a Time. Yet a recent eating tour along the 775-mile Baja peninsula left him so excited that he decided to devote the entire eighth season of his TV show to his Baja food finds

>I used to think Mexico City had the best tacos, but Tijuana blows it away
>http://www.foodgps.com/top-mexican-chefs-discuss-the-culinar-importance-of-ensenada/

>Aquiles Chavez: At the end of the day, it’s the gastronomic center of this country. The cuisine in Baja, California, is relatively new, created by people like Benito Molina Dubost and Solange, in Tijuana, Javier Plascencia, and in Rosarito and Tijuana, Miguel Angel Guerrero. The cuisine of Baja, California, is not about plates or techniques, but about the products. The question has been, what is the interest about the products?

>Arturo Fernandez: his is our store where the best products are coming from. This is where Mexico goes to shop for its seafood. It’s the sparkplug that’s setting off the production of intelligence using the appropriate manpower and respect and consideration to its products. At this moment, this is our store. Many people all over the republic are imitating what they’re doing here in the last 80 years with a theme of food meant to pair with wine, which is very unique to Baja

>Benito Molina: Because the best seafood from Mexico comes from here, and the best wine and the best olive oil, so the combination of all those three.

>> No.5378617

>>5378606
Big deal.

>> No.5378626
File: 26 KB, 474x474, sombrero-arriero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZEz5-GPsg

>> No.5378658
File: 52 KB, 499x499, aver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5378617
>>5378559
>I would say its going to be hot for 18 months or so then die out

You're talking about a region where its street food culture and fine dining ranks among the best in Mexico. Not to mention where the best wine, olive oil, craft beer, and seafood are all produced. It won't be going anywhere.

>> No.5378808

>>5378626
>tips sombrero arriero

>> No.5379127

>>5375931
'Grats OP.

>> No.5379629

>>5377988
There are traditional drinks of cold water chocolate made with annato and powdered chili, no sugar so they are pleasantly bitter.
Another one in the south is called tazcalate or tlaxcalate made with powdered tortilla, annato, cacao, a little chili and sugar, it's drunk both in water or milk, cold refreshing and pretty tasty.
One crazy drink is popo from veracruz which has chocolate sugar annatto vanilla and some flower I think cacao flower, whic lets it rise so you only drink a cupful of foam.
There is another drink called pozol made with frech masa, it is usually drunk cold as is or with cacao powder, it does not contain sugar which is optional.
>>5378327
well many tortillerias mix ixtamal with the maseca, but te extrusion process changes the texture of the tortillas, hadmade are better and everyone except the dumbest people around. If your trtillas taste good they're probably better than the storebought ones.
>>5378371
I actually anjoy a lot of world cuisine, I guess the only decent foreign places here are italian but I dabble at chinese and indian, I make my own burgers too because the ones here are a sad imitation of what a real american burger is.
I have a decent wok for chinese and a good burner, and multiple cast iron pans because muh authenticity.
>>5378474
Oh molillos are thickish sauces made with multiple chiles sometimes liquefied onion and tomato, they resemble moles but are way simpler to make and with more rustic flavors, ad they are not cooked first and reduced but added directly to the dish.
The gulf coast is nowhere near as violent as the news would make it seem. the narcos are not interested in common people and have their own motivations and targets.
Anyways at least tampico has pretty cool tortas, seafood and some good fruit waters, northern veracruz estrujdas, zacahuil, multiple local strains of vainilla and some of the best in the world. Of course seafood.

>> No.5379658

>>5379629
In central veracruz you have toritos and fruit liquors, street food, mole, cider, ham and other preserved meats, great fucking coffee.
In the south some big freshwater snails, the popo I mentioned, cacao starts, tamales smoked meat called carne de chango, tobbacco more toritos.
Around these parts there is a large african mexican popultion so you can find malanga, yuca, olla podrida, tostones, sweet coffee with plantain tortillas and pumpkin shrimp.
Tabasco has good chocolate, pozol and multiple local dishes.
>>5378504
Somany gringos and decent food so it's become very visible, many other places have very good food like oaxaca yucatan veracruz chiapas. I think it's a good start to get the world looking in our direction although it's not the best of mexican cooking as they like to pretend.
>>5378578
thanks for the bump but the last thread I made was 2 months ago
>>5378658
not the best craft beer by far,and good ocean produce but not the only place, not the best shrimp

>> No.5379974

>>5379658
Out of those regions you mentioned only Oaxaca is a good food city. Places like Chiapas have no real food culture outside their homes .Baja cuisine doesn't have any old tradition but their cuisine is based on local ingredients. combine that with fresh seafood every day , vineyard in your back yard, and a strong streetfood/restaurant culture, its a food lover paradise
>>5379658

>decent food
http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/35879/La-Guerrerense-representara-a-Mexico-en-el-World-Streetfood-Congress-2013/

>> No.5380008
File: 1.50 MB, 3008x2000, cazo 100% copper not clad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5379974
>decent food
This is ridiculous
Decent food from outsiders mean absolutely nothing pretty much the same for restaurants
When you want mexican for that is really good you need to have it at family gatherings. Wedding, Funerals, First Communions, 15 Añeras, Graduations, Promotions, Birthdays too many too list
The best food in mexico and most highly criticized are the meals served at family gatherings.
You cant buy that stuff you need to be invited.
BTW great food is found nationwide.

>> No.5380044

>>5380008
>When you want mexican for that is really good you need to have it at family gatherings. Wedding, Funerals, First Communions, 15 Añeras, Graduations, Promotions, Birthdays too many too list
>The best food in mexico and most highly criticized are the meals served at family gatherings.

This proves my point why places like Chiapas and Tabasco will never be Tokyo, Paris, Lima, Singapore, Df and others.

>> No.5380052

>>5380044
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/04/culinary-food-wine-lifestyle-food-wine-travel.html

>> No.5380149

>>5379974
world streetfood congrss! sounds like the ripleys of food
>>5380044
don't be so sure of that, clapistani baja is just the style and food gringos enjoy. baja is barely mexican
>>5380044
just explain who exactly wants to be lima or tokyo who is vying for that?

to be sincere baja is just a fad.

>> No.5380153

The taco place I go to has chicharrone tacos that I like. It's not crunchy but stewed in a red sauce. Do you know what it is?

>> No.5380164
File: 181 KB, 625x626, 4bf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5380149
> exactly wants to be lima or tokyo who is vying for that?

1/10

>> No.5380172

>>5380153
>>5380153
chicharron en salsa roja

>> No.5380177

>>5380149
> baja is barely mexican

you say that if its a bad thing

>> No.5380470
File: 125 KB, 770x602, bandera.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5380177
barely mexican how
tortilla salsa cooks all mexican so how barely some non-traditional but still very mexican.
did they switch grains or veggies or stop using salsa's

>> No.5380530

Can you do anything with the rice fron]m horchata>

>> No.5380549
File: 294 KB, 1600x1067, 3wild_burros_cute.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5380530
let it dry feed the turkeys

>> No.5380559

What chiles would go well with enfrijolada sauce?I'm thinking chipotle or habaneros

>> No.5380571

>>5380470
wat

>> No.5380626

If you have a Mexican grandma you are entitled to great food. Everything in mexico is more or less handmade the hard way. People don't fucking take short cuts.

>> No.5380629

>>5380153
Classic taco filling.

>> No.5380673
File: 546 KB, 574x587, tu ya sabes...png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5380626
Taking shortcuts is a shame
Cutting the flavor in half is senseless

When everything is done right it shows and leaves everything else in the dust.

>> No.5380729
File: 37 KB, 306x526, stay out old bag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

keep this sad faggot away from mexican food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp9HAgcbbo

>> No.5380732

>>5380729
shitfilled link =_=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrH-TObXX0

>> No.5380757

>>5380164
well not every city in the whole world needs to try to be new york or tokyo
>>5380172
yes, its delicious
>>5380177
not necessarily but it is if you are talking about mexican food geopolitics be dammed
>>5380470
too miuch chinks and gringos putting their grovelly hands in it
>>5380530
only rice pudding or paste, its too broken up
>>5380559
enfrijolada sauce?? enfrijoladas are just wetted with beans its not a sauce, and yeah chipotles, habaneros chileseco thick tomato
and guajillo or others are great
>>5380626
ypu can actuallyntaste every corner thats cut
sorry forn capitals and apostrophes im on a phone

>> No.5381412
File: 312 KB, 1920x1080, jicama what.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49F5ky_sr-g

>> No.5382927

>>5380757
What can you do with the rice paste?

>> No.5382940

>>5380757
Pretty sure i've eaten a bean paste made with chiles, not sure what to call it though. works well with pork ribs.

>> No.5384637
File: 114 KB, 640x480, dinner is getting cold.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5384702

>>5384637
what sauce is that

>> No.5385415
File: 1.42 MB, 320x240, whoa what willis.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5380052
because forbes knows mexican food

>> No.5385423

>>5385415

who cares. they're a great source for food related "I'm smarter than all these unenlightened sheeple" links. I shitpost with them all the time

>> No.5386983
File: 134 KB, 500x373, para mis tortillas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

these babies keeping my tortillas warm and steamy