[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 633 KB, 400x187, 1381635849507.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5368108 No.5368108 [Reply] [Original]

What is /ck/'s stance on the whole gluten free fad?
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/28/farewell-to-gluten-free-why-we-are-so-easily-fooled-by-pseudoscience-and-marketing-gimmicks-when-it-comes-to-food/

pic unrelated

>> No.5368115

it's a trend hipsters have latched onto to make themselves feel special and enlightened.

>> No.5368117

never cared, never will. Markets probably going to resaturate with "candida prevention/cure" stuff, again like it did in the 90's.

>> No.5368124

I know a girl who said she'd stop eating gluten, because it gave her head and stomachaches since she was "slightly allergic".

She's also vegan and feeds her dog meat free vegan pet food.

>> No.5368143
File: 12 KB, 300x225, itsalie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5368108
My sister is a fully fledged card carrying celiac.
She'll have a harder time finding foods she can eat, and she already has a hard enough time as it is.

>> No.5368151

isn't gluten pretty much in everything?

>> No.5368152

>>5368143
So her life will be the same as it was before the fad cropped up and the market became saturated with gluten free food? A pain in the ass, sure, but it's not like she suddenly won't have any food anymore. She'll just have to go back to the way she consumed prior to the mas market.

>> No.5368158

>>5368151
well it in almost everything that has grain or grain by products. So if processed food is everything, then yes. On the bright side most Asian cuisines don't have it. Even glutenous rice flour has zero gluten, it's just named for the behavior of the rice flour to stick.

>> No.5368164

Hopefully we can make high gluten corn syrup to replace real gluten.

>> No.5368165

>>5368152
I guess.....
But, I didn't know this, a lot of the gluten free foods like breads and pastas etc are just normal shit, with the gluten removed (by witchcraft I assume).
However, this still leaves trace amounts of gluten in these products so she can't even eat these anymore because she is so sensitive she gets ill if she does.

>> No.5368197

Have as constant menu items.
Obnoxious to make in the kitchen. Gets treated as an allergy.

Probably ordered mostly by fat soccer moms who want to look good in front of their fat soccer mom friends.

>> No.5368244

>>5368143
>My sister is a fully fledged card carrying celiac
Wouldn't it be nice if doctors issued standardized celiac cards to people who ACTUALLY have celiac's disease? Then you could tell the seriously disabled ones from the faggots who are "HURR SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE DURR"

>> No.5368248

>>5368244
Said the special snowflake who needs to call everyone faggots

>> No.5368254

>>5368248
>mad I want to separate him from people with actual medical conditions
Hipster detected.

>> No.5368257

>>5368244
people would probably find a way to abuse it...
just like when I lived in portland, so many people would bring pets into our restaurant. I'd ask them to take their pets outside
>no it's a service animal, I even have the papers
It's a cat... how does it serve?
>emotional support
I'm refusing you service.

>> No.5368312

I've got nothing but sympathy for people with celiacs, theres gluten in an absurd amount of ingredients that are a huge pain in the ass to eliminate. I also have nothing but disdain for the people hoping on the latest fad diet wagon and expect restaurants to rewrite a menu or create a dish just to cater to them. If i had a dollar for every dish that i had to re-prep gluten free, with the gluten free utensils on the gluten free cutting boards in the gluten free corner of the kitchen, just to find out the customers been out there eating bread while they wait, I'd never have to work again.
And yeah, I'm mad.

>> No.5368324

I have two close relatives who are very well educated that are enamored by this fad. It seems to me very cultish and I can't figure it out.

>> No.5368330

>>5368312
>just to find out the customers been out there eating bread while they wait
I'd probably stab them with a gluten free knife.

>> No.5368332

>>5368324
for the same reason fundies can't help but spread "the good news".