[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 603 KB, 1920x1080, 1395856519343.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5360747 No.5360747[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do you survive on 30 dollars or less a week?

Ill be doing an internship this summer and I will have fuck for all income. Help.

>> No.5360751

I don't. You however, could probably suck dicks in exchange for Mcribs.

>> No.5360771

beans and rice
buy things on sale and stock up
find cheaper alternatives
leftovers for future meals allows you to increase your meal budget

$.50 breakfast, $1.50 lunch and $2.00 dinner is perfectly achievable when cooking on your own and leftovers for a couple dinner/lunches would allow for meat easily.

>> No.5360775

>>5360747
Dry beans and cornmeal.

>> No.5360780

>>5360751
>You however, could probably suck dicks in exchange for Mcribs
>Mcribs

I would happily suck ten thousand dicks in exchange for a single McRib, being they're not going to be sold for another 10 years where I live.

>> No.5360785

potatoes, beans, lentils, onions, carrots.

cheap ingredients for a variety of sauces: mustard, peanut butter, tomato paste, spices.

>> No.5360845

Eggs, rice and lentils.
Cheapo shitty meat (you can get a 1lb soy chorizo log for about 1.25 at my local grocer, but if I'm desperately looking for fat calories I'll pick up the beef one for 50 cents more)

and chug a lot of water and invest as much as you can beforehand in decent quality vitamins

>> No.5360874

>>5360747
It's not that hard actually, that's what I usually spend every week. You can even afford to eat "expensive" stuff (like deli cheese, smoked salmon, fish, asparagus) in moderation, just keep an eye out for your local grocery store's sales.
Eggs are the cheapest source of protein, otherwise whole chickens or chicken thighs are pretty cheap too.
Buy produce that is in season, it's the cheapest and it's usually on sale too.
Vegetable are very filling and add lots of variety to your meals.
Like other anons said, buy in bulk for essentials like pasta, rice and beans.

You'll have to basically give up any kind of pre-packaged snacks (potato chips, pastries, cookies, chocolate etc.) or food (frozen dinners) though. They are expensive and won't last you much.
If you find that you can spare some money, they MIGHT be fine once in a while.

Anyways, you're hardly going to starve. Assuming you're careful about managing your money and cook all your meals by yourself, that is.

>> No.5360876

Actually quite easily. Just it won't be very fancily.

Get your staples:
>milk
>bread
>eggs
>cheese
And note that you will be over budget some weeks and under budget other weeks (because some staples last longer than others, notably cheese).
Then you buy your meats:
>ground beef (buy it and freeze it, don't by the patties for hamburgers because often they are twice as much as an identically weighted package).
>Luncheon meats for sandwiches.
>could also buy spread meats.
Next you just buy the stuff you have for awhile but sometimes need. These things will last awhile but when you first buy them, will put you over budget:
>peanut butter
>salteen crackers (bulk)
>large stocks of vegetables
Those are a few examples. And one tip I got from my mom that saved me close to a hundred dollars a year was to buy frozen juice concentrates instead of bottled juice. You get more of it for like $1 per can, as opposed to like $3 for name-brand.

Also some sound tips are:
>don't buy it because it is on sale. Buy it because you need it.
>don't buy the more expensive brand without trying the cheapest brand first.
>your freezer is your best friend.
>don't buy crap because you pay gold for it.

>> No.5360880

>>5360747
WHY DOES THIS BOARD HAVE ENDLESS POVERTY COOKING THREADS? The questions are ALWAYS the same. The answers are equally predictable. Even food stamps gives you more than 30 dollars a week.

>> No.5360893

>>5360880

I wish I wasn't too ashamed to get food stamps. I'm so fucking poor but I'd just feel embarrassed. Like when I'm behind the people using WIC and every fucking time they've gotten a bunch of stuff that doesn't qualify and then I have to wait forever, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. At least I'm not stupid enough to have kids even though I'm poor, I guess.

>> No.5360898

>>5360893
You should be commended. You'll be rewarded in the future for your honesty now.

>> No.5360923

>>5360898

I doubt it, but hopefully my wishes to get t-boned by a drunk driver or cleaned out by an 18 wheeler will be granted before too long. I suppose that would be a reward though.

>> No.5361541

>>5360747
>potatos
>rice
>pasta
>frozen vegies
>sale items/junk food bins. ie; 25 frozen pizzas for 10$

>> No.5361549

>>5360785
I don't know about you but peanut butter on onions doesn't sound that good to me.

>> No.5361550

>>5360893
Who cares about shame? They exist for a reason. They don't like give you a huge budget for food. They are called SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition assistance for a reason. SNAP =/= WIC

>> No.5362642

OP, go buy a .22LR revolver and go hunting for rabbits in parks at night.

>> No.5362680

Skip a meal or two a day and lose some weight you fatass.

>> No.5362682

>>5360747
cat food
dog biscuits

>> No.5362691

>>5360898
>You'll be rewarded in the future for your honesty now.
This is not how this world works.

The person who cutthroat to get ahead in job gets promotions, gets admired by peers, gets more money, lives happily, sleeps at night with content, women above 25+ love the guy who is confident, financially stable and who can do anything to get ahead in life; for example, not a pussy when firing people.

None of these things come to dirt poor pussies. No matter how good at heart they are or how much justice they do or how much they help other people. Fucking pussies will always be dirt.

>> No.5362698 [DELETED] 
File: 95 KB, 500x428, 1397281719195.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I steal what I can.
Say if I want pasta, I have a thing of precut garlic I stole, lasts 4-6 months, use that to make a sauce out of I a 24 can pk of crushed tomato puree I got from my roommates mother, mix with stolen spices and a lifted Buitoni Alfredo Sauce. Makes a great vodka sauce for the big 1$ pasta boxes, penne is good. A thing of parmesan fits easily in my pocket too.

I also find premade meals at whole foods are easy to snag. I get two a trip in my pockets. Just walk out or buy some bread at the bakery. Good loafs for a buck, or you can get halves of some of their better breads for a couple bucks. Nice cover buy for the 14$ in your pockets. They have really easily to steal self-serve whole leaf teas. Just bag them and pocket in the clear.

The best things I find to nab:
Cheeses, the more expensive ones
Sushi, if you have the right pockets
Any meats at the deli/butcher counters, like a 1lb of fajitas.
Smaller premade things at places like whole foods and spouts
Tortillas
Beef Jerkey folds well
and buitoni products in general, google and you'll see why.

Good luck and try to buy thing when you thieve to avoid suspicion, and remember, no one pays attention to anyone.

Oh and be white.

>> No.5362725

Is it disorderly that I gain huge mental pleasure from spending as little as possible on grocery foods and note the nutritional values of absolutely everything, as though i'm a heavily malnourished African parent who'll have no access to food for the next six weeks?

I'm kinda poor, but I can still totally live like a normal student. I'm also notably underweight and suffering the effects of starvation mode/malnourishment as of late. It's like an uncontrollable fantasy and every time I actually get a decent feed I realize how fucking retarded it is and how desperately I need to pack it in/get help.

My recommendation for a healthy $30 per week/person grocery list would include many cheap, fresh and in-season/frozen/canned fruits and veges (in water or natural juice if canned)to prevent vitamin and humanity privilidge defiency (canned diced tomatoes necessary), potatoes, rice, oats, weetbix, beans (black or kidney preferably, pre-made baked or chili beans if you're super lazy), milk, bread, canned tuna, soy sauce, vegetable oil, fuck loads of spices and emergency survival ramen packets or penne.
Maybe a big, cheap nut mix, some dried fruit, raw sugar, chili sauce, honey, peanut butter, sausages/ham, eggs, cheese and a big ol' tub of vanilla ice cream or bulk online treaties if the budget stretches.

Essentials are beans/eggs/tuna, oats/rice and bread.

>> No.5362724

lmaooo i can't believe the post about stealing the food got deleted. what kind of mods do you have here /ck/

>> No.5362785

same way i do...
>work all the time
>always be stressed out
>only take breaks to smoke a cig or 2
spend $5 every other day on fast food dollar menu

>> No.5362796

>>5360898
That's not "honesty". That's fucking stupidity. Those programs exist to help people in precisely the situation described. YOu're one of those "libertarian" fuckwits, aren't you?

>> No.5362797

>>5360747
Ramen and/or PB&J + Tuna

>> No.5362798

Don't buy brand name foods. Go for the Great Value and store brand stuff. Rice, pasta, and tuna are cheap and you can make lots of meals with them.

>> No.5362800

>>5360893
Having worked in a grocery store in a (shit bottom rung) management position, I can assure you that EBT/SNAP/WIC might be the difference between keeping a store open or not. (It's the first of the month, get up...)
To be sure, individuals benefit from such things, but so does the community.

>> No.5362801

>>5360747
Not very hard, Pasta and Rice with bell pepper are pretty good.

>> No.5362806

>>5362796
this, eg
Craig T. Nelson (from TV's "Coach") on Glenn Beck's show:
"I've been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No. No. They gave me hope, and they gave me encouragement, and they gave me a vision. That came from my education."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/05/29/craig-t-nelson-on-glenn-beck/
'Those gubmint programs didn't help me, but they helped me.'

>> No.5362838

Rice and broccoli

or getting a second job

>> No.5362840
File: 525 KB, 1750x1313, 1365667942944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here ya go OP.

>> No.5362845

I think it's dishonest to collect any public assistance that isn't through the university, specifically intended for students, from grants to federally subsidized loans.
It is afterall your CHOICE not to be gainfully employed while you pursue a privilege, college. It is not a right to back out of the workforce, but a privilege. If you can't afford it entirely on your own, you do work-study, you wait tables once a week, you clean, etc. Aside from lofty goals like law/medicine, there isn't any other college career choice that doesn't allow you to also have a part time job to cover the gap between what you can do via loan for tuition and school expenses. At minimum wage, a 20hr workweek is absolutely just enough to get by in everywhere but the top 4 most expensive college towns.

In most cases, it's illegal to go to college and receive unemployment benefits, as well. This is the reasoning. That you aren't free to work, to pursue any work that comes your way, and therefore end the benefits asap. It's dishonest. The only exceptions are in sponsored re-education courses to help you change career into something with more demand after a city is hit with massive layoffs in a major employer, for example, an import-export class, an accounting class, for like the detroit workers that obviously can't get another car manufacturer job. They aren't college, either, just little community college certificate things outside of credit.

>> No.5362855

>>5362845
well, you're a piece of shit

>> No.5362912

very carefully, and with the help of a few friends. money is fine, and we all tend to f it up a bit, no need to cower before anyone, but try
to be nice ditch habits like smoking and drinking. destroy all credit cards. now. you can dig yourself in a deep hole, quick. beans, rice, corn.silver and gold, pass.for now. do not be prideful.(I don't care, any religion, or none, nobody likes pride) eggs, milk, cheap bread and anything with vitamin c. Again, beans (canned is ok) rice,veg and a few good friends.or even one better than diamonds or rubies take shit from no one,but be nice as you can.Good luck and God's grace. and quit bitchen&moaning.Goddamn. yeah you say it under your breath, He knows anyway. but try to be discrete. also,dress standards might be lax, but take your hat off indoors. and sit up. god judges all, but quit slouching. don't worry over much. but I would say this; told to me by a HIndi boss/owner you cannot help others until you help yourself.

>> No.5362938

>>5362845
>At minimum wage, a 20hr workweek is absolutely just enough to get by in everywhere but the top 4 most expensive college towns.
I can't imagine being able to get by on $200/week.

>> No.5362952

You don't get any government assistance?
I'm only getting $100 AUD of work for this week but I'm getting gubment money of $190 tomorrow...

>> No.5363155

>>5360747
I have been living on $40-50 a week easily. Aus fag here.

Big batch of curry for the week. Beef vindaloo this week with veggies.
Sandwiches + cheapest in season fruit for lunch.
Breakfast is wheetbix with fruit juice.

Snacks for the week.
Couple packets of jelly bellys
A pack of nice beef sausages if I want something different for a lunch or dinner.
Other fruit and chips for snacks

I could easily live on $30 if I cut it down to just one big batch of on sale beef or chicken curry with minimal veggies.

Wheatbix for breakfast
Peanutbutter and honey sandwiches for lunch + fruit.

Easily $30 a week

>> No.5363209
File: 2.63 MB, 3264x2448, split pea soup.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get food stamps. $30 is too minimal a budget to really live on unless you want rice and beans for every meal of the day.

>> No.5363376

>>5363155
>wheatbix
>wheetbix

C'mon man it's weetbix you fuckin bong rat