[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 33 KB, 152x165, reedrummond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5324554 No.5324554[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are everyone's opinions here on the Pioneer Woman. Anyone here a fan, use her recipes, read her blog, watch her tv show? When you google her the first word suggested is "Ree Drummond fake". She's worth 8 million dollars and says she is a cowgirl who lives on a Ranch in Oklahoma where she home schools her kids and writes a blog that seems totally stolen in concept and look from Smitten Kitchen (which was around first) and people complain Ree/Pioneer Woman took most of her recipes from published local church cookbooks and is not original at all as well as unhealthy in her recipes and not very highly advanced in terms of what she publishes compared to Smitten Kitchen (no hard recipes ever) and has a huge loving adoring female fan base who publish hundreds of comments on each recipe.

>> No.5324592

Everyone who hates this ugly bitch just sounds like a jealous housewife to me.

As far as pioneer woman goes, I've used her recipes for blackberry syrup and fried chicken tacos. Both turned out well. Other than that I don't give a fuck.

People tell lies for money, and sometimes people rise to fame on an image that isn't wholly representation of the truth. If you're going to get mad about that, your life is going to be hard. Until she's found to be donating thousands of dollars to give clitorectomies to little children or something, I don't give a fuck what she does.

>> No.5324619

Just another shitty cook built on propaganda and good marketing. They are a dime a dozen. I don't pay any attention to her.

>> No.5324633

>>5324619
But she has like MILLIONS (possibly more in a year) of hits to her website. According to Alexa her website is almost the 1000th most popular website on the web.

>> No.5324637

>>5324592
She's spreading ridiculous fundie Christian propaganda bullshit indirectly as well as unhealthy eating habits. I agree that its fine that people lie and stuff but I still hate her.

>> No.5324645

She's ok. Yaps too much in the blog. I skip straight to the short version of the recipe at the bottom.

>> No.5324669

>>5324633
So? Millions of people ate up Paula Deen and her butter butt, too. Doesn't mean it's not overrated as fuck. There's tons of mediocre shit that people love, doesn't mean I have to buy into it. Not to mention that she (like many other food writers and TV chefs) probably has ghost writers who develop her recipes for her. She's just another hack.

>> No.5324757

I love her recipes. Every time I use them I get something super fucking tasty out of it. I think she's a horrible person but I give zero fucks. Just gimme the recipes. I can ignore the fundie BS.

>> No.5325007

Her personality and ostentatious "hey ya'll" attitude are so annoying that I can't possibly watch the show.

She is also ugly and wears a lot of makeup.

>> No.5326794

>>5324554
Her husband has the face of a destructive drinker.

She has the forced smile of a woman married to a gentleman who struggles with the sauce.

>> No.5326813

Her husband looks like the type to slap her around after a few drinks.

>> No.5326815
File: 37 KB, 600x362, 1396470444853.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5325007
>She is also ugly and wears a lot of makeup.
They all wear a shit ton of makeup, it's television.

>> No.5326820

Trish Yearwood's cooking show would be a lot better if you just saw glimpses of Chris Gaines lurking in the background when you see halls and doorways.

>> No.5326829
File: 7 KB, 191x234, 1297451969777.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>wishing you lived in a giant log house on hundreds of acres of property in the midwest

>> No.5326833

Her recipe for braised beef short ribs is pretty boss.
I usually skip to userealbutter if i want inspiration for cooking.

>> No.5326838
File: 26 KB, 284x330, 133979302090.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5324637
Do your parents know you're on 4chan right now?

>> No.5326850

>>5324637
Unhealthy, yes but her kids and husband seem relatively active.

>> No.5327017

Huh....she DOES poach recipes from other people. I just happened to be doing some research for some recipes I want to try, and I found posts by her on some recipe boards (under a different name, but with her same picture) from 2010 asking people for recipes. Odd that I just found that, but nevertheless....yeah, she's a fake.

>> No.5328051

>>5324554
Her brother has a mental disability and she treats him terribly, according to what I've read.

>I [The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond] love not having to whip out annoying euphemisms like “Developmentally Disabled” or “Mentally Challenged” or “Intellectually Delayed.” As a blood relative of a retarded person, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say retarded. Retarded.

>I have to admit, I sometimes like using the “r” word just to watch people squirm. Sometimes when I’m feeling particularly ornery, if someone in a conversation casually says, “retard” or “retarded”, I put on a dejected face and say, “Um, my brother is retarded. I don’t appreciate that.” I can usually last about 3.2 seconds through the look of terror on their face before I burst out laughing.

She is also accused of stealing recipes, nearly verbatim, and calling them her own.

I've never watched her show or read her blog.

>> No.5328063

I don't like her show that much. I've been watching a lot of cooking shows recently, and I have to say I prefer the stuff on my PBS affiliates, on the Create subchannel mostly. The Food Network shows are so slick and overproduced and project a different, more superficial image than the ones on PBS.

>> No.5328078

>>5328051

This is why I get jelly of white people. They can literally invent privilege for themselves.

>As a blood relative of a retarded person, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say retarded. Retarded.

>> No.5328084

>>5324554
meh, don't know why you or anyone would expect authenticity or originality from someone with a cooking show
but if I had to choose one, it would be laura caulder, she's kinda like the modern julia childs

>> No.5328087

>>5328051
That's very weird.

That's just... fucking weird. I can't imagine a normal person saying that.

>> No.5328095

>>5328063
>>5328063
PBS cooking shows are, largely, about cooking and education.

Food Network shows are about living vicariously through celebrities and their personally endorsed, Chinese made ego totems, I mean, uh, fine consumer goods.

>> No.5328098

>>5328095
Except for America's Test Kitchen.

>> No.5328109

>>5328087
I can't get over how weird that is.

>I [The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond] love not having to whip out annoying euphemisms like “Developmentally Disabled” or “Mentally Challenged” or “Intellectually Delayed.” As a blood relative of a retarded person, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say retarded. Retarded.

>I have to admit, I sometimes like using the “r” word just to watch people squirm. Sometimes when I’m feeling particularly ornery, if someone in a conversation casually says, “retard” or “retarded”, I put on a dejected face and say, “Um, my brother is retarded. I don’t appreciate that.” I can usually last about 3.2 seconds through the look of terror on their face before I burst out laughing.

So:

>I [The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond] love not having to whip out annoying euphemisms like "Gay” or “Homosexual" or “Queer.” As a blood relative of a faggot, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say faggot. Faggot.

>>I [The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond] love not having to whip out annoying euphemisms like "Black" or “African American" or "Person of color.” As a blood relative of a nigger, I’m automatically exempt. I get to say nigger. Nigger.

etc.

I mean, fucking christ that is weird.

>> No.5328121

>>5328098
I have to admit, I actually like America's Test Kitchen, but I also really enjoyed Good Eats (which, according to some on /ck/, is a divisive issue).

My biggest complaint about Chris Kimball's business is that fairly often, they 'accidentally on purpose' forget to give you the whole recipe during the episode and direct you to their website where you're only allowed to see recipes from the current season without subscribing.

But their recipes are all available for free if you know where to look anyway, so that has never been an issue for me.

I've also been told getting rid of a subscription to one of their publications is on par with getting rid of herpes, so caveat emptor.

>> No.5328131

>>5328109
It's not anything to get flustered over. She seems like the kind of person that would take solace in her network despite her shortfalls as a human being.

Best to just avoid actions toward her that would end her profit, ignore her and move on.

>> No.5328132

>>5326820
Wut

>> No.5328136

>>5328131
network = financial net worth

>> No.5328139

>>5328051
Um, retarded is a medical term, it means limited.
It's only if it's used in poor context or with a harsh tone.
A doctor who calls someone mentally retarded is not a hateful person, he's just using the most blunt term there is.

>> No.5328142

>>5328051
That's funny as fuck though

>> No.5328147

>>5328139
I'm pretty sure she lacks the decorum for us to even consider that she's using the term in a medical sense.

>> No.5328148

>>5326820
I don't even watch that show, (or food network, actually), or listen to country music, but that is pretty funny.

>> No.5328151

>>5328109
I don't think she's evil or hateful, I think she's just stupid.

Everybody takes certain liberties when in certain company, with people who trust and understand that we're not trying to be assholes.

The whole internet is not automatically in on the joke however, so saying something like that in public was either a cynical attempt to generate traffic or a glaring example of her being out of touch.

>>5328139
She doesn't seem to be having a frank and plain discussion about disability, it sounds like she's using the word as a pejorative to describe her brother because she thinks it's funny.

But, you know, that's just like, my opinion, man.

>> No.5328154

>>5328121
I never noticed incomplete recipes on the show. Also, where do you find their recipes for free? I guess theres probably PDF downloads somewhere but I haven't looked.

>> No.5328155

>>5328151
Plain spoken, even.

>> No.5328164

>>5328154

Torrents, sometimes food blogs if you're willing to dig through google results for, say, 'america's test kitchen red beans rice' etc.