[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 923 KB, 1284x2553, 1385325366535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5281009 No.5281009 [Reply] [Original]

Studentfag here, does anyone have any recipes for things I can make in bulk and freeze without spending too much? I want to start eating proper food instead of takeaways and microwave meals 5-6 days a week. Pic unrelated, a meal that got me laid once because it's super flashy.

>> No.5281059

Nearly anything, anon.

A pot of 13 bean soup mix, $2, and a ham steak on sale (ham will be on sale and in abundance now that Easter is on the way). You will easily get 8-12 portions to freeze into ziplocs. I like hocks as much as the next person, but you're not going to want to have that measly amount of protein for a whole pot. Smoked turkey legs are often on sale too.

Any lasagna or pasta casserole. Stuffed shells are easy mode for a lot of people. Again, microwaves very well.

There's a lot you can do minus the starch, chili, stews, curries, etc, if you're willing to make the starch while you reheat it.

Corn tortillas have amazing refrigerated shelf life, or you can buy tostadas in a crispy stacked tube. Make a salsa every couple of days with fresh ingredients, and top some sauteed seasoned meat (or stews), from eggs to barbacoa to a baked boston butt roast.

>> No.5281067

macaroni, some vegetables, ground meat with tomato sauce and italian spices. That's what I usually do when I cook for multiple days, it's relatively cheap, easy and fast

>> No.5281076

>>5281009
Casseroles are your friend, OP. One can keep you fed for just about a week if you make enough. Bulk BBQ and freeze that too, and some soups. Generally that's all you really need.

>> No.5281077
File: 456 KB, 1275x3309, ckchallenge13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made a double batch of this for dinner tonight... Food for tonight, lunch for tomorrow and two large ziploc containers to freeze and re-heat at a later date. Easy to cook, cheap and filling.

>> No.5281091

>>5281059
>>5281067
>>5281076
>>5281077
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely use some of these suggestions, think I'll make a lasagna tomorrow, see how much I can make and fit in the freezer.

>> No.5281102

My go tos are wide variety of meatballs and pirogis. Whenever I make a sauce I'll usually make extra and freeze it except creams which can separate. Rice dishes tend to freeze well also. Some people are against frozen mash but if you add a bit of water it microwaves well. For breakfast look up egg muffins or quiches. Along the same line are pot or Shepard's pie.

>> No.5281108

>>5281102
I did think about doing a Shepard's pie, but I didn't think the potato would survive the freezer very well.

>> No.5281116

>>5281091
>think I'll make a lasagna tomorrow,
It can add up. Wait for an italian sale, when ricotta, mozz, noodles, sausages, auces are all on sale at once.

>> No.5281122

>>5281116
Depends how Op does lasagna to be fair... I tend to do mine with spaghetti sauce (a bastard version of bolognese), béchamel and lots of shredded cheese. Other then the cheese the rest if fairly cheap (assuming I have already made the sauce).

>> No.5281123

>>5281116
The only problem is that I'm not exactly spoilt for choice with shops near me. I'm limited to what I can get, so waiting around for specific sales isn't much of an option unfortunately. Best way to save money I've found so far is to get to know the local butchers and try and get deals in there.

>> No.5281128

>>5281122
I normally use bolognese, shred whatever meat I have that needs using, and use a metric tonne of a nice mature cheddar. I probably spend more money on cheese than any other food, I can't live without good quality cheese.

>> No.5281134

My cook in bulk food back in the day was frozen burritos. You just fill them with whatever rice, beans, cheese, veggies, salsa, and optional meat you like, fold it up, wrap individually in foil and freeze. Very easy, you can make like 20 or 30 at a time. Also portable, I used to bring them all the time to school and work.

>> No.5281149

Toad in the hole

Not joking, I discovered it freezes well by accident and it's extremely filling.

When it's cooked, let it cool and then cut into portions. Wrap each in clingfilm and freeze individually. Heat under grill and serve with some fresh veg and onion gravy.

>>5281108
If potato is cooked it should freeze all right for a week maybe. You blanch whole ones before freezing anyway.