[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 660 KB, 3143x2357, Chili2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5273550 No.5273550[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What's your favorite chili recipe? I just started to cook for myself, and this is my favorite so far. I cut it in half and make it in a crock pot.

>> No.5273551

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:

3 pounds chuck roast
3 pounds rump roast
2 pounds bacon
4 onions
3 tablespoons garlic puree
4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons cumin
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 dried California chili pods
2 jalepenos, one with seeds
1 serrano chili, one half with seeds
3/4 cups whiskey
1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
beef bouillon (I used Organic Better Than Bouillon paste)
concentrated tomato paste

Directions:

The California chili pods will be used later, but they should be prepared beforehand. Take the two dried chilis and boil them in a little bit of water for 15 minutes. Blend and strain. Put aside for later use.

Cube the beef into bite-sized chunks. Dice the bacon. Chop the onions.

Heat a large heavy pot and fry the bacon until almost crisp. Scoop it out and set aside (so it won’t burn). You may want to cook the bacon in small batches.

Fry the meat in the bacon fat until browned on all sides. You may have to do this in batches as well. Scoop out the meat and add to the bacon.

Sauté the onions in the bacon. I really cooked down the onions so they’re super-carmalized and falling apart. Add garlic after the onions has cooked for a while.

When the onions and garlic are ready, add jalepeno and serrano chilis. Throw in the cumin, chile powder, and paprika and cook briefly about 2 minutes.

Next, we want to add enough liquid so that the meat is covered. Add the liquid made earlier from the California chilis. Add whiskey and Worchester sauce. Add bouillon and tomato paste to taste. (I think I added about 16 oz. beef bouillon made with the Better Than Bouillon paste as well as two tablespoons of tomato paste.)

Taste and add salt to taste. The whiskey scent and flavor will mellow with cooking. Cover and set it to simmer for a 2 hours.

>> No.5273563

one that doesn't have beans

>> No.5273567

I got tired of making generic chili, so I started making white chicken chili.

>roast some garlic, hatch pepper, onions, jalapenos, whatever other peppers I can get my hands on (im in tx so its not hard)
>chop it all after its gets soft and brown and throw it into crock pot
>boil up a bunch of chicken in broth, shred the meat off when it cools, toss in pot with left over broth
>toss in white beans, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, lime juice, ancho powder
>let sit all day and pretend youre mexican

ive got some ground venison in the freezer so i might have to try brown chili again

>> No.5273569

>>5273551
>2 pounds bacon
holy shit that is a lot of powerful bacon flavour

>> No.5273572
File: 433 KB, 1280x853, moose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been making moose chili for a while now, and I really do think it's one of the best applications of the meat. That and sausages.

>> No.5273576

>>5273572
what does moose taste like anon? i'm curious

>> No.5273578

>>5273576
Not him, but imo it tastes pretty much like beef. Tends to be lean since it's real wild game meat, though. If you're making hamburger out of it you have to add cow suet to it.

>> No.5273583

>>5273551
Wait, when do I add the beans?

>> No.5273587

>>5273576
I have a hard time describing moose to people that have never had it, as I've been eating it all my life. I usually compare other things to moose.

But it's a lot like beef, though I'm not sure if it can be eaten rare. I've always eaten my moose well done. It definitely has a stronger flavor than beef, but it's not unpleasant or overly gamy unless it's a young male. If you get a first year bull you know it. You can almost taste the "smell" of the moose on it. Not my favorite.

And as >>5273578
said, it is very lean. That's honestly why I like it for chili, I find it takes to long stewing very well, absorbing a lot of flavor.

>> No.5273594

>>5273569
Yeah, I'm working on tweaking it, the savory meaty flavor is a little overpowering. I deglaze the pan with whiskey after I cook all the meat, too.

>> No.5274812

Cheap ass lazy chili:

1 cup dry pinto beans
1 cup dry black beans
6~ cups chicken or beef stock
2~ pounds of stew-worthy meat
1/2 can of whole tomatoes, seeded
a small can of chipotle in adobo
a handful of whatever dried chilis, reconstituted and seeded
two onions, diced
some handfuls of fresh spinach, for vitamins and minerals
a couple cloves of garlic, shelled
spices as desired
splash of vinegar
bit of salt
big spoonful of cornstarch or flour

Put the stock and beans in your crockpot and turn on low.
Blend chiles, garlic, spinach, tomatoes until smooth, and add to crock pot
Remove fat and skin from meat, and add to crockpot.
Add onions to crockpot.
Let crockpot work its magic for 7-8 hours.
When it's about done, remove any bones from the meat. Add vinegar, salt, and spices to taste.
Withdraw a few ladlefuls of the broth and whisk in the flour/cornstarch until fully mixed, then stir back in.
Let the crock pot cool, and stick in a refrigerator overnight.
Reheat and serve over rice.

>> No.5274867

equal parts all soaked over night:

pinto
black
kidney
green lentil
(around half of the smaller bags)
3/4 white onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 sticks of celery
1 of the large v8's (original flavor)
1 large can of diced tomatoes
6-9 cloves of garlic use your best judgement
all to taste:
marjoram
cumin
chipotle sauce
chili powder
salt
black pepper

Saute veg, crock pot, you know the rest.
Never really measured a thing but turns out almost the same every time. Makes a crap ton of cheap meatless chili I use more as a cold side dish than a chili. (before someone says something I'm not a vegetarian or vegan)

>> No.5275315
File: 163 KB, 797x852, chili-crockpot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't tried this yet, but here's one someone posted in the last chili thread

>> No.5275323

>>5273550
what sort of chili is this

recipe look like some sort of baby formula

>> No.5275327

>>5273567
>white beans
>>5274812
>pinto beans
>black beans

How to spot a redneck

>> No.5275349

>grab a can of chili
>Open it up
>Dump it in to a saucepan
>Heat it up
>Poor in to a bowl
>Eat

>> No.5275379

>>5275349
>Poor
Freud was right.

>> No.5275384

>>5275379
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing

>> No.5275393
File: 7 KB, 300x300, Chile.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

that ain't chile son

>> No.5275421

>>5275327
What is redneck about beans, exactly?

>> No.5275428

Just a thought for some of these recipes, don't add cumin too early. Its flavor changes drastically when heat is applied for a long period so it is best added in the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

>> No.5275606

>>5275393
man, must be weird to live in a country that's so narrow that you pretty much only have two directions to ever really travel, up and down, I'm sure the hills and mountains make it a bit trickier than that but still.

>> No.5275657

>>5273569
>>>5273551
>>2 pounds bacon
>holy shit that is a lot of powerful bacon flavour
Yea, that's a lot of fat to keep or skim, wayy too much, I'd say.

>> No.5275692

>>5275606
I live in Santiago, Chile. Not the person you replied to.

You can travel from the snowy ski resorts to the beach in less than 4 hours, and if you decide to travel vertically there is an amazing array of geography to experience.

The Andes mountains are to the right-most of our country, meaning that most of our population sits between the 2 largest mountain ranges, Andes and Costa. Most of middle Chile is just valley.

>> No.5275721
File: 1.33 MB, 952x4749, 1382086194171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shitty infograph, but recipe is pretty fuckin baws. Throw in some Jalapeno cornbread and you got a damn good meal.

>> No.5275774

My top secret chili recipe contains something most people don't use, actual dried chilies.

Buy a selection of dried chilies: ancho, california, guajillo are good to start. Maybe move to chipotle later on. Smoke isn't something I want in everything. You might.

Toast the chilies, remove seeds/stems, puree in a blender, and add to your usual chili recipe. Forget that powder! Go for the delicious real chilies instead.

If you live with hot-resistant babies who can't have chili too damn spicy, consider slicing up some of your dried chilies, and pan frying them until crispy rings. Use as a garnish on your own bowl. Of course you can use some jalapeno, but that's green flavor. This is rich, sweet, spicy and the oil packs a punch too. Also great on popcorn!

>> No.5275903

I use ground turkey for the meat on top of the beans.

Ground beef is 4 dol a pound. Ground turkey is 1.70 a pound.

Not a poor fag but ground beef is ridiculous.

Ground frozen turkey is where it is. Go to Meijer if you have one. Frozen is cheap. Non frozen is as much as beef. Duck that. Sub the beef for turkey for the same goodness at a much better price.

>> No.5275935

>>5275421

The way stupid, cultureless rednecks think they belong in chili.

>> No.5276516

I just do the following, what can I do to improve it?

>cut a few red and green peppers and some cloves of garlic
>fry them in oil
>cut beef into dices
>fry beef to brown surface, so that blood is seeping out
>add beef together with chili and garlic in big pan
>cover in lager beer
>let boil in beer 3+ hours, until meat falls apart
>serve with bread

my problem is mainly that the taste is concentrated as after-taste

>> No.5276525

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chilliconcarne_67875

I'm sure it's not close to authentic, but it's pretty good.