[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.10 MB, 2454x1640, garlic-roast-chicken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5206854 No.5206854[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I was wondering, what's the secret to making the perfect roasted chicken? I made a couple this past weekend and they turned out pretty well. I just brined both chickens the night before, rinsed them off and put 'em on a bed of sliced up new potatoes after trussing them up. I didn't have much besides rosemary, thyme, garlic and celery to stuff the chicken with, but hey it turned out pretty great.

Anyhow next time I'm thinking of adding in some different root veggies. I love turnips, so I'll probably throw a few of those in there. Also I see a lot of recipes call for carrots, do they affect the taste of the chicken itself when the chicken roasts on top of them? What sort of veggies do you use to stuff the chicken, or do you use bread stuffing or some shit?

>> No.5206862

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZxaUuFA1Y

>> No.5206868

Peel an onion, stick 3 whole cloves into it, and shove it up its ass. Also rub the skin with a 2:1 mixture of olive oil and melted butter.

>> No.5207142

For chicken that has crispy skin all around shove a half full ber can or bottle up its ass and place it in the oven upright. The evaporating beer will keep the chicken nice and juicy. Don't stuff it, the stuffing may prevent it from cooking thoroughly. Half a lemon and some sprigs of rosemary and thyme, max.

Put it in a preheated oven, 50-55 min at 170°C for every kilo of chicken.

>> No.5207394

>>5206854
The chicken is upside down

>> No.5207462

I like to stuff the cavity with cranberries and apple chunks.

Also, I bought an "all-natural" chicken recently instead of the store-brand or Perdue and I thought it was the best chicken I ever had. Until now, I thought chicken was chicken. Am I crazy or do natural and organic chickens actually taste better?

>> No.5207480

>>5207462

All produce, meat, poultry, fish, etc. vary in quality. A chicken which has more room to run around and a more varied diet (bugs, seeds, etc.) will have a lot more flavor than a factory-farmed chicken. Likewise a wild salmon will taste better than a farmed salmon. Freshly picked local fruit will taste better than fruit which was picked before it was ripe and then trucked across the continent to your supermarket, etc.

>> No.5207620

Preheat oven to 250C
Put in chicken
Turn heat down to 200C
Cook for 1.5hrs basting half way through
Rest for 20 minutes

It works everytime

>> No.5207640

I think you are too concerned with your veggies, which do little to pan gravy. They can be sides. An inexpensive covered roaster like granite ware will have amazing Browning and pan juices. Work seasoning under skin with fingers. No need to brine. Try some citrus, garlic, butter or olive oil, herbs, spices and salt. You should be able to lift from both cavities and down into legs, pushing and smoothing. Bake with a digital thermometer and alarm if you intend to do this often.

>> No.5207990
File: 10 KB, 460x276, Fawlty Towers Manu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5207394
Of course it's upside down, he lost his head. how do you expect him to know which way is up!