[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 58 KB, 650x488, pennstationgullroad1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5167266 No.5167266 [Reply] [Original]

>Firehouse
>Penn Station
>Jersey Mikes
>Charlie's

If these places can maintain a profit selling high-quality sammiches then why can't Subway? Why do they insist on dishing out shit?

>> No.5167280

Subway is all about the profit. As long as people keep going than they will never take a loss in profits for increase in quality.

>> No.5167284

>those places
>high quality
Being better than dogshit doesn't make them "high quality." They're edible, but not good and absolutely not "high quality."
Also, aren't those places far more expensive than SW? It's been forever since I've been to any, SW included. Years and years.

>> No.5167294

Here in CT, you can't drive down the street without going past at least one quality grinder joint, so it's pretty embarrassing that the one that went big from here was Subway.

>> No.5167317

Subways in my area are owned and staffed by sandniggers

>> No.5167333

>>5167317
Around here, it's all Hindus, usually Gujarati people.

>> No.5167340

>>5167284

they are both 'good' and 'high quality', and i'd like to hear a decent argument otherwise besides just "they're not". Is it what Ramsay or whoever would make you? probably not. but if you're not being ridiculously elitist for the sake of being so you can't honestly say they aren't "good"

>> No.5167345

>>5167284
>It's been forever since I've been to any, SW included. Years and years

round of applause for douchebag mcgee over here everybody, it's been years and years, what a fucking gourmet hero we have on our hands

>> No.5167346

>>5167340

subway is both 'good' and 'high quality', and i'd like to hear a decent argument otherwise besides just "its not". Is it what Ramsay or whoever would make you? probably not. but if you're not being ridiculously elitist for the sake of being so you can't honestly say it isn't "good"

>> No.5167352

>>5167333
same shit, different pile
I guess it's Hindus, not sandniggers

>> No.5167354

>tfw you can remember when subway actually just dished out meat and vegetables by the fistful on their subs instead of today's pre measured bullshit

>> No.5167361

>>5167346

that's cute and everything but no one is actually defending subway as high quality whereas the inverse is true, sorry kiddo, i know you wanted to be clever

>> No.5167366

>>5167364

Somalia?

>> No.5167364

>>5167361
Subway is pretty high quality where I live.

>> No.5167375

>>5167364
They all use the same ingredients processed at the same plants. That's like saying "McDonald's is pretty high quality where I live"

True, if the staff doesn't give a single fuck, then you could be eating stale fries with an hour old dried out burger, but the ingredients are the exact same.

>> No.5167377

>>5167361
The subway(s) here are all owned by Indians, but they are pretty cool guys and the food is fine. Not amazing, sure, but they are not skimpy.

This is in Canada, though, I've heard some bad things about a lot of the US' subways.

>> No.5167383

>>5167377

what this guy said: >>5167375

they're franchises, they're fielding the same suppliers

>> No.5167390

Subway makes far more money than any of your obscure local chains though, so their way is clearly winning

>> No.5167391

>>5167383
I probably have a deeply unrefined pallet, I suppose.

>> No.5167400

>>5167340
>refusing to eat pasteurised processed cheese food product, thinly sliced mechanically separated meat slurry sausage and bread that has more preservative ingredients than the average Glaswegian has track veins is elitist
You're what's wrong with the world. Everything has to be dragged down to your level or it's elitist. Anything that reminds you what absolute shit you are is bad, so you have to hold your nose in the air about shit that's worse than the shit you eat. Who's elitist again? The guy who says "well, they're all shit," or the one who's trying to qualify various gradations of shit?

>> No.5167406

>>5167345
>stop disliking what i like, even when i asked you your opinion about what i like; i only want answers that coincide with my own
Everything. Wrong. With the world. You.

>> No.5167456

I gave my application to Firehouse earlier today. If I get the job, I cannot wait for that fucking employee discount.

>> No.5168121

>>5167266
Jersey Mike's is GOD LIKE

I used to work there.

I used to lick people's meatball subs, because I would create them in the back room, where the meatballs were kept, where the customers could not see me. I LICKED THAT SHIT, BITCH!

>> No.5168134

>If these places can maintain a profit selling high-quality sammiches
they aren't

>> No.5168148

>ITT: The reasons /ck/ is the worst board for discussing foods

Food elitists contesting popular opinions contesting 'industry veterans' contesting shitty opinions.

>>5167400
And this kind of knee jerk use-my-entire-vocabulary-to-insult-every-aspect-of-someone's-opinion-I-dislike-instead-of-conversing-like-an-adult response is the worst of it.

>> No.5168151

>>5167294

CTfag, this is true. Good sandwiches are everywhere

>> No.5168168

Jersey Mike's is awful and overpriced.

>> No.5168182

subway. eat fresh. to put delicious flavor and grilling on your sandwich is too fatty. you'll get fat. just look at that fatty steak sandwich in the op.

disgusting. subway. eat fresh.

eat fresh.

>> No.5168212

subway is bretty nice imo

>> No.5168219

Native Philly outer resident now in the other side of the state.
Penn Station sucks. Fries aren't too bad, but their cheesesteaks are horrible

>> No.5168225

Nice to see a Philly thread. Why is everything NY and Chicago?

>> No.5168227

I work right next door to Penn Station and have therefore eaten there on several occasions. And their food is horrible. Better than Subway, yes, but it's just a grease bucket in a bun. I'll grant that their bread is much better than Subway. It can hold up to all the dripping grease they blast into those sandwiches with a firehose. But it lacks flavor.

Their fries are fucking awful unless you drown them in malt vinegar. God, have you even TRIED their fries plain? Shit shit shit.

If you don't believe Penn Station is awful, try ordering a cold sandwich. Without all the frying, you'll see how shitty their ingredients are. And even then they toast the bread. Why? Because they don't want you to know how shitty it is and toasting at least provides SOME flavor.

Charlie's is pretty much exactly the same.

Jersey Mike's is a joke. You could walk into any local deli and get a better sandwich than you could at Jersey Mike's. They're at pretty much the same level as Jimmy John's.

If you want a decent sub, you really need to go to a proper deli. I've yet to discover a fast food place that can do anything other than complicated junk food.

>> No.5168252

Subway is about the veggies, if you just want a turkey sandwich with nothing on it, don't go there. Or, actually, please come in. It's much easier to make those sandwiches.

>> No.5168276

The Subways business model, is trying to trick fat people into thinking their overpriced sandwiches are "healthier and less fat-making" than other alternatives.

Whereas the real truth, is that fat people primarily simply need to eat LESS, and then worry about what it is that they are actually eating less of.

Those two sandwiches in pic look immeasurably better in terms of flavor, preparation and quality of ingredients, than the manufactured and plastic look of Subway's low-tier product.

>> No.5168309

>>5168182
i just watched a subway ad- featuring famous healthy athletes- showing their new pulled bbq sub with a layer of Frito chips. HORK

>> No.5168341

>>5167294
After moving to KY, I can't find a good grinder place in this whole state it seems. So when I come home to Western MA, first stop is my favorite place to eat and get a bacon cheeseburger grinder. ;__;

>> No.5168368

tfw there were already 3 subways in my town and the only quizno's closed down and was replaced with a 4th subway

>> No.5168378

>>5168252
the veges make them taste better
or at the very least make me not feel like a total piece of shit

>> No.5168414
File: 12 KB, 320x240, .......jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Penn Station is the shit compared to Subway
The sandwiches are usually a buck or two cheaper, plus they're fucking huge, topped with a giant fistful of meat and never skimping on the cheese or other toppings
The only reason I don't eat there regularly is that I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to get to the closest one.

I really wish the bigger restaurants like 5 guys or In & Out or even a Rallys would stop popping up so close to the giant fucking cities and give the smaller towns some love.
I know they'd make a fucking killing around here, with as expensive and shit tier the other restaurants are around here.
The 'fanciest' shit we've got is a Steak n Shake.

>> No.5168419
File: 37 KB, 833x768, that feel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168414
>tfw the nearest Jack in the Box is miles and miles away on the other side of the state and you've never layed your hands on a munchy box

>> No.5168477

>>5168182
for some reason i just got flashbacks to some kid who's nickname in middle school was "Eat Fresh" because either he lost a bunch of weight inbetween years, or it was some cunnilingus joke.

>> No.5168605

>>5167383

Not true since food regulations prevent some foreign beef in Canada and likely moreso in Europe.

>> No.5168664

>>5168605
This. I know McDonalds use local (Finnish) meat and Subway uses or at least used Danish ham. Canadian Subway could very well use either local ingredients or import them from a source of their own instead of using the same source as American Subway.

>> No.5168914

>>5167294
>>5168151

ctfag here as well. Peter buck, one of the co-founders lives in danbury and coincidentally the subway closest to his house happens to be the shittiest one i've eaten at

>> No.5168954

>>5168341

where in western mass? i literally can't find anything up there