[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 76 KB, 516x387, 516x387_ac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5079550 No.5079550[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Give me your best, most versatile, most delicious tomato sauce.

Every serious cook should have one. What's yours /ck/?

>> No.5079556

>>5079550
Fresh tomato
Peel and seed
Dice
Cook with some white wine
Add much spice
Run in the mill
Add tomato puree to wine reduction
Profit

>> No.5079635

butter
much roma tomatoes, crushed
an onion, cut partway through

put it all in a pot and simmer it forever

when you're ready to serve it, take out the onion

>> No.5079856

>>5079550
>Give me your best, most versatile, most delicious tomato sauce.
Those are two separate recipes for me.

My best and most versatile one is the one I can make any time and have it ready in 20 minutes (less if I rush). My most delicious one requires a long, slow simmer so you have to start 2 hours at least before you want it, or the previous day.

Fast one:
>finely chopped onion sweated till soft
>pulped garlic, fried just long enough to change the flavour
>tomato puree, fried until it darkens
>water
>some dried oregano and basil
>salt
>plenty of black pepper

Slow one:
>finely chopped sofrito, sweated till onion is golden and translucent
>tinned tomatoes
>possibly stock cube
>maybe a splash of wine
>crushed garlic, put in whole
>dried oregano and basil, or oregano and fennel seeds
>salt
>black pepper, with additional for just prior to service

Simmered for minimum of two hours, liquid topped up as needed. Potato masher used to get rid of any stubborn lumps from the root end of the tomato, which also breaks down the garlic cloves which cook long enough to go soft.

>> No.5079867

watties
true tucker fucker

>> No.5079896
File: 1.10 MB, 763x429, 1339465916327.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tbsp of butter
1 onion
3 garlic knuckles
1 or 2 28 oz cans of Cento crushed tomatoes (or any other canned san marzano tomatoes)
chop the onion finely, warm the butter in a heavy bottomed pot over med heat. Saute the onion until translucent, smash and peel the garlic. chop the garlic into small pieces and toss in with the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pot. At this point if you want pizza sauce, take the pot off the stove and stir a swirl of olive oil, salt and pepper, and 1-2 tbsp of basil or a handful of chopped fresh.
If you want a marinara sauce: increase the butter by another tbsp. chop up a carrot and a celery stalk into a tiny dice. After the onions are translucent toss the carrot and celery in when you put the garlic garlic in and sprinkle with some salt. cook down about 12-15 minutes. Pour in a 28oz can of crushed san marzano tomatoes (I use cento brand) and warm until starting to bubble. Turn down to simmer and cover. simmer about an hour, stirring occasionally. Chop a handful of basil (or 2 tsp of dried) and stir that into the sauce 10 minutes before the sauce is done. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you want a meaty sauce using the first recipe above: after sauteing the onion until translucent, add a finely diced carrot and saute for 10 mins over medium heat, brown a lb (or 2 lbs if you are using two 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes) of ground meat. You can use whatever ground meat you want. I like a mix of either veal,beef, and pork or beef and italian sausage. anyway. brown the meat. Add the chopped garlic, cook about five more minutes and then add the crushed tomatoes. ( you can add 1/4 cup of red wine to the sauce too if you want at this point . Bring to bubbling, then turn the heat to low and simmer two hours or so. You can add use for pasta, lasagna, whatever. Toss in 2 tsp of basil, 1 tsp oregano, salt and pepper

>> No.5080908

bump

>> No.5081103

>Go to grocery
>Buy jar of Prego

>> No.5081189

>>5079550
>not even joking

grab a whole bunch of tomatoes (organic is the best in my opinion, but the recipe is important so just listen)

whole canned tomatoes/ diced tomatoes, etc. the more fresh, the better.

get one huge pot, and add all that mashed up crushed tomato stuff (you did it) to the pot.

add a bunch of water (no fluoride) to that.

a little olive oil

a little sea salt

very little onion
VERY VERY LITTLE garlic so much that you don't think it will even matter same with onion actually

simmer it for like the whole day.

pass through that turny strainer

= best tomato sauce

>> No.5081239

Caramelice onions, add garlic, carrot and celery. Add diced tomato
Add tomato pure, add beef stock, salt, pepper, oregano and basil, let it simmer for an hour, blend it.

>> No.5081504

so many tomato sauce recipes.
I don't want to be a snob but isn't tomato sauce made from sauce of tomato?

Im not trying to be overly purist, but everyone is adding carrots and beef stock and 10 different kinds of onions, loading on the pepper, butter, spices...

I personally love it when I can taste the tomato in the tomato sauce.

a little white/light wine, small onions and garlic, 99% tomato. = best in my opinion.

>> No.5081520

cook some bacon crisp, remove, add mirepoix, sweat, spinkle in flour, add stock and tomatoes. cook for like an hour until thick and you can't taste the flour. season. it tastes like chef boyardee.

>> No.5081526

>>5081520
oh yeah, blend that shit smooth. i forgot that step. escoffier motherfucker.

>> No.5081540

>>5081504
the carrots are usually minimal and they will cut the acidity of the canned tomatoes, you don;t have to use the carrots if you are using fresh tomatoes. The celery, also used minimally, is to bring out the lovely aromatic "herbines" that the tomato has. they can be easily omitted, but onions and garlic I find hard to omit. wine, i use if I have some laying around. or not.

>> No.5081601

>>5081540
I can understand that, now that you mention it that way.

next time someone here is making a small amount of tomato sauce that you are not afraid of messing up...

try adding a small pinch of pure baking soda (no aluminum) to the beginning, before cooking it.

mix it in well.

towards the end, add a pinch of sugar.

= strange.... effects but tasty.

another very helpful tip I have for EVERYONE regardless of their recipe, is to let the sauce rest in the freezer overnight.

thaw it out on the stove, warm it back up.

= amazingly transformed flavors.

I am not a doctor. ask your doctor before doing anything.

>> No.5081653

put olive oil in a large saucepot, along 3 anchovy fillets, crumbled, and a bit of the oil from the tin. Cook on medium heat for about a minute.

Add 1 chopped medium onion, 1 finely chopped celery rib, and 3 cloves of minced garlic, and sweat, until just about to start browning. Create a small well in the pan, and add three tablespoons of tomato paste, and allow to heat through before stirring together. Deglaze anything stuck to the bottom with half a cup of semi-sweet white wine.

Add 2 cans of handcrushed san marzano tomatoes, and dried basil, parsely, and a small amount of fennel. Simmer on low for a few hours (at least 3), adding water periodically to account for evaporation. Taste periodically for salt, pepper, and sugar, if necessary. In the last half hour, add finely chopped fresh basil.

>> No.5081722

easy and cheap.

buy pear canned stewed pear tomatoes.

saute some onion and garlic.
deglaze with red wine.
reduce until slightly thickened.
add tomatoes and use immersion blender (or blend them before you add) to desired consistancy
season with black pepper/salt/oregano and fresh basil.

add some fresh rosemary if you want a finished tomato sauce.

>> No.5081873

>>5079635
>marcella hazan plz go

But seriously is her recipe really deserving of all the hype?

>> No.5082894

In large pot on med/med-high
>Olive Oil, S+P, Chopped Onion, Grated/Shredded: Carrot, Celery, Garlic
When onion is translucent, add a decent amount of
>Greek Basil and Oregano
(fuck anybody who says oregano is for pizza sauce only)
Puree your
>Roma Toms (seeds removed) with Red Vino or a few splashes of Balsamic
Add to pot, reduce heat, simmer at least 20 minutes

>> No.5083202

>Tomato
>Milk
>Spices
>Blender
>Cook on pan for a bit until it thickens
>Serve

That's about as simple as it goes.

>> No.5085234

>>5081873

yes it's pretty delicious!

more importantly, it's a simple mother sauce which you can use as the base for any red sauce.

>> No.5085263

I try to keep it simple, nothing out of the ordinary

Equal weight fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes,
One onion
2 cloves of garlic
basil leaves, sprigs of tyme, bay leaf

sweat the onion in lots of olive oil
garlic and quartered tomatoes to get the heat into them
then the canned tomatoes
basil leaves, thyme sprigs, bay leaf in (these are all optional)
cook for around 30 minutes
remove the bay leaf and thyme and basil leaves

>> No.5086598

Well this thread has been remarkably civilized. There's hope for /ck/ yet.

>> No.5086603

>>5079550

scrolling by the thumbnail I thought that was cast iron

>> No.5086622

>>5083202
milk? dosen't it curdle with the tomato?

>> No.5087051

>>5086622
Not if you keep it at just a simmer

>> No.5087058

>>5086598

Yeah, if you use the board for what it is, talking about food and asking for recipes things are good

>> No.5087131

>Ez PZ 123Z tomato sizzy
>olive oil
>cook up some garlic in that bitch
>after a few mins, toss in a can of crushed tomatoes.
>let that shit gel together
>finish off with salt, and some pepper flakes
>If you got some fresh oregano or basil throw it in right at the end
shit is good yo

>> No.5087159

>fresh tomatoes
>peel + seed
>dice
>cook in some olive oil
>let it break down
>add a little bit of wine to it
>crush up the remaining tomatoes
>add spices

After you've made the sauce

>new pot
>medium heat
>add butter
>add finely diced garlic glove
>let it cook for 2 minutes
>now add in the tomato sauce
>cream
>Parmesan cheese
>rose sauce

Fooking delicious

>> No.5087161

>>5081601
>towards the end, add a pinch of sugar.
>= strange.... effects but tasty.
i'm surprised you're the only one to mention adding sugar

>> No.5087170

>>5087131
i like your style

>> No.5087171

>>5087131
>Ez PZ 123Z tomato sizzy
had to read twice, lold

>> No.5087176

>>5087159
>>add butter
>>cream
why?
so much butter people, wtf is wrong with good and healthy olive oil??
its a tomato sauce

>> No.5087184

Preheat your oven to 350. Get a roasting dish, pour some olive oil in, and toss around so its nicely coated. Toss in a can of san marzano tomatoes, and slice the bigger ones in half so theyre all roughly the same size. Roughly slice an onion, and crush a couple cloves of garlic, and toss those in there as well. Add a few red pepper flakes, mix everything together, and bake for half an hour. After the half an hour, stop and stir it, and bake for another 20 minutes. The rim of the tomato area will be black, but don't worry, that happens any time you do this.

Once they've been baked off, scoop out of the pan and into a saucepan to mash up the now nicely caramelized tomatoes. If you like a thick sauce like I do, just leave as is. If you want it a bit looser, pour in some wine and let it reduce.

>> No.5087189

>sauce pot
>olive oil
>sweat onions until translucent, no browning
>add minced garlic and cook for a minute
>turn up heat, pincage a bit of tomato paste if you're down with a thicker sauce
>add some crushed tomatoes
>bring it to a boil then to a gentle simmer
>pinch of sugar if you're too lazy to cook it for a while
>salt
>pepper
>basil at the end

>> No.5087190
File: 28 KB, 400x600, 1348258941477.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5087176

>B... But it's rose sauce

>> No.5087193

>>5087176
it's for additional flavor. It's not like were talking about a lot of butter. Christ you guys act like one grain of salt and a half pad of butter will kill you.

>> No.5087196

>>5087193
i've never seen anyone use butter in a tomato sauce
guess where i'm from

>> No.5087208

>>5087196
I really don't give a fuck how precious you think your culture is. The best things to come of Italy were all pre-colombian anyways.

>> No.5087241

>>5087193
I agree. Depending on what I'm using the sauce for, I will sometimes enrich it with a little butter at the end. A good cook knows how to take a basic and make it special for certain dishes. If you just make the same sauce and use it on everything, you're just an automaton.

>> No.5087243

>>5079556
how do you even peel tomatos

>> No.5087250

>>5087243

1) With a serrated peeler
2) Boil a gallon of water. Cut an X in the bottom of every tomato (not too deep), drop them into boiling water one or two at a time. Blanch for thirty seconds, and remove to a bowl of ice water. The skin will peel off.

>> No.5087252

>>5087243
Put them in boiling water for a minute, then put them under running cold water. Peel comes right off.

>> No.5087357

>>5087184
I saw Chef John do something like this once. I think I'll try it next time I make a batch.

>> No.5087382

Going to make some tonight, actually.

>Half an onion, dice finely and cook til translucent
>1-2 cloves of minced garlic, throw in with onion
>Crushed tomatoes, fresh or canned idgaf
>Pureed tomatoes, fresh or canned idgaf
>Red wine
>Basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, pinch of sugar, pinch of garlic powder if you want more garlic
>Add tomato paste if the sauce is too thin
>If appropriate for the dish, brown some sweet Italian sausage and throw it in
>Simmer for a few hours

>> No.5087385

>>5079550
Honestly, it's no point. I get that brand by the old fashioned lemonade guy and it's full of natural ingredients and costs like a buck something.

It tastes better than the restaurant sauces at local authentic italian restaurants (inb4 u spout off olive garden).

>> No.5088238

>>5087058
I wish that were true. But plenty of genuine-seeming threads get plastered with hate and various other kinds of trolling (check temp of hot oil with ice cube ring a bell?)