[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 26 KB, 720x543, cuttingboard01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5065863 No.5065863 [Reply] [Original]

What cutting board is most gentle on cutlery?

What is most hygienic?

What is most durable?

>> No.5065869

>Wood
>Wood
>Wood
/thread

>> No.5065872

i use a thick wood cutting board for veggies and a plastic one for meats.

>> No.5065880

Pink Himalayan Salt Block
pink himalayan salt block
Pink Himalayan salt block

duh

>>5065869
Wood doesn't win for MOST hygienic. It's hygienic enough if you keep it clean correctly, though.

How bad is cheap plastic? Like those very thin sheets that destroy easily but are cheap enough to replace all the time (knife will cut into them rather than fuck up your knife, maybe)? My mom just gave me a bunch of them, and I want to know how bad it would be on my knives.

>> No.5065877

I don't trust wood. Wood is absorbent.

>> No.5065884

>>5065877
Plastic has chemicals in it and glass dulls your knives.
As long as you wash your shit and don't leave blood to dry on it like a nasty fucking caveman, you'll be okay.

>> No.5065890

I would think bamboo is probably the best. Gentle on the blade, as tough as the plastic ones and a little more hygienic than regular wood

>> No.5065891

>>5065884
I don't see plastic flaking off into my food and sure, wash it properly and be fastidious and no one's going to get sick but why bother? I have a thick poly board and I can just put it in the dishwasher after use or spray it with bleach solution. Why bother with wood? Fits better into your decor?

>> No.5065894

>>5065884

Basically every cutting board is made of chemicals...

Wood has a lot MORE chemicals than the kind of polymer used in cutting boards.

>> No.5065906
File: 142 KB, 565x600, 1360357735913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5065880

>> No.5065912

you know, one you can like, cut stuff on.

>> No.5066445

>>5065863

End grain hard wood or gtfo.

If you're cheap get bamboo.

I keep another smaller plastic board for meat fish and bin in when it guts too scratched.

>> No.5066458

>>5065884
I'm glad wood has no chemicals in it.

>> No.5066463

Soapstone.

>> No.5066468
File: 241 KB, 1500x1125, steel_cuttingblock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Steel you whimsy faggots.

>> No.5066470

>>5065863
> Air

>Silver

>Diamond

>> No.5066472

>>5065890

After glass and granite bamboo is one of the worst materials for cutting boards. The glue they use to keep all the pieces together eats up your edge. The best stuff is (allegedly) a good end-grain wood cutting board followed by plastic and normal wood.

More important though is the other stuff you do with your knife ... don't use the edge to scrape stuff from the board, don't put it in the dishwasher, don't cut fozen stuff or hard crusted bread with your chef's knife.

>> No.5066477

>>5066472

b-b-but Alton said bamboo was ok didn't he?

>> No.5066482

>>5066477
He also clearly wasn't very familiar with them and was operating from limited personal experience.

>> No.5066499

>>5065863

The most gentle is a board where the wood's fiber are vertical, such as a section from a tree.

The most hygienic is probably some types of plastic boards.

The most durable is probably wood.

>> No.5066786

What about those Epicurean boards?

>> No.5066798

>>5066468
it makes me cringe just thinking about the sound from that

>> No.5066895

>>5065891
you may not see it but plastic can leech

I am Not a doctor. Ask your doctor before doing anything.

>> No.5066897

>>5066895
>H-hey Doctor, c-can I talk to you about cutting boards?

>> No.5066934

>>5066477

Most cooks don't know jack shit about knives, much less about proper care and maintenance. They rape them with a grooved steel a few times a day and maybe have it raped with a belt grinder by a "professional sharpening service" once or twice a year and that is about it.

>> No.5066947

>>5066934
Plenty of cooks will slide that knife through food and into a cutting board thousands of times a day, thus making proper care and maintenance impossible for knives they can afford.

We create a burr using grooved steel frequently throughout the day to insure they can still make clean cuts twelve hours into a shift.

>> No.5067120

>>5066499
Except that wood has been proven to be more hygenic. look it up.

>> No.5067143

>>5066472

>The glue they use to keep all the pieces together eats up your edge.

Say what? You do know there isn't 1 company out there that makes bamboo cutting boards, right? Like, multiple companies with multiple processes and multiple materials, see glues?

Or do you have a cite showing that the same glue is used for all?

Or, how about this fucktard: SAND AND REFINISH IT ON YOUR OWN. SEAL THAT DANGEROUS GLUE YOU STUPID FUCKING RETARD. HOW DO YOU EVEN MANAGE TO BREATHE?!?!?!

I mean I have heard some bullshit in my day, pro and con, for just about everything but a fucking glue dulling an edge is pants on head retarded. FFS, you should hone your blade after every use anyways. It shouldn't even be a problem. If you're not hand cleaning, drying, and stropping a blade after cooking dinner, don't give me horse shit about a dull blade.

>> No.5067183
File: 70 KB, 442x277, rabbitrecipe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5065863

According to the cunt destroyers at America's Test Kitchen:

>most gentle
Plastic

>hygienic
They are all equally hygienic as long as you wash normally with soap and hot water. Wood may retain smells, but it doesn't harbor bacteria any more than other materials, after washing.

>durable
Durable to knife wear? Glass and stone.

>> No.5067193
File: 14 KB, 296x331, tlm3 really.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5067143

Go to /diy/ and post this, they could use a good laugh.

>> No.5067196

>>5066947
If you create a burr you don't create a cutting edge. You create a saw that will be gone again after a few dozen cuts. I recently bought a used F. Dick Premier Plus chef's knife on ebay from someone who had just quit his culinary training ... holy crap it was the dullest piece of shit I had ever held, even though it had "recently been sharpened". Took me almost an hour to put on a decent edge (I don't have a really rough stone). Now you can fucking shave with that 10,5'' sword.

And keeping it that way will NOT take more than a few passes down a SMOOTH steel a few times day and a few passes over a fine stone at the nd of the day, guaranteed.

>> No.5067224

>>5067143
Why so much anger my friend? Maybe I should have anticipated that the more retarded and ignorant people on this board would not understand that by "eating the edge" I meant it wears out/damages/abrades the edge, clearer now?

And what is that retarded argument about different glues? Who gives a shit whether one glue wears out the edge faster than another when they all wear it out faster than a plstic board? This doesn't come from me but from the kitchenknifeforum.com ... I am pretty sure there are plenty of people on there who have knives that cost more than you make in a month and collections that cost more than what you earn in a year. They know a thing or two about steel and edges.

>sealing your cutting board
that is a really brilliant idea, smearing some carcinogenous resin or varnish on there, with little bits constantly flaking off as you cut your food .... idiot ...

>> No.5067248

>>5067193
>>5067224

These dipshits don't know how to seal with bees wax, or any organic wax.

Look at them, look at them and laugh. Enjoy your glue, nancyboys.

>> No.5067273
File: 24 KB, 425x350, i_have_a_dream-12830.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5067248
So a 1/100th of a millimeter thick coat of beeswax will magically stop the edge of my knife from penetrating into the cutting board? please do tell me your special hardening process! shit must be tougher than steel, yo!

Why are you so full of idiots today /ck/

>> No.5067279

>>5067273

I don't think you quite understand the process....

Some folks use oils, for example, that penetrate, and thus require multiple applications, to seal from the inside out (well, not entirely the inside out, but further than you'll ever venture).

It's the same way with bees wax. You're not rubbing on the wax like a fucking skater rubs grinding wax on a ledge. You boil that shit, prepare it right, and apply it with very little viscosity.

I'm sorry you are fucking stupid.

>> No.5067282

>>5067279

Oh, you also sand first to prepare it, thus eliminating any existing sealer (I'll give you that; I don't know what they use) and any surface glue (again, that happens so I'll give that to you).

>> No.5067289 [DELETED] 

>>5067279
Just saying, it's folk not folks. Folk is already plural.

>> No.5067295

>>5067289

Looks like someone has already done the work for me:

Folk is an adjective (e.g. folk music, folk art).

Folk is a collective noun (e.g. the folk are uprising).

Folks is a collection of individual folk. The distinction being that "folk" refers to a mass or a mob -- It is referring to the collection or the mass itself. "Folks" is referring to the plurality of individuals that make up the mass.

>> No.5067305

>>5067279

It will still do nothing to keep the edge of the knife away from the glue.

>sealing from the inside out

Tip: that process is called impregnating. Please do not call other people stupid when you are the proud owner of an IQ below room temperature.

>> No.5067306

>>5067305
me again: have you ever looked at a bamboo board? The bamboo planks/slats are all arranged vertically so you have glue thoughout the whole thickness of the board. No amount of sealing will help there.

>> No.5067311

>>5067305

>It will still do nothing to keep the edge of the knife away from the glue.

Okay, let's say that you do penetrate through the sealer. You've exposed yourself to, GASP, an area roughly the width of the knife's blade profile! Holy fucking minute quantities Batman! It makes no difference! It won't hurt you, you know why?

BECAUSE ITS FUCKING FOOD GRADE GLUE

Titebond III, for example, is a food grade glue. Find me a cutting board manufacturer that uses a non-food grade glue.

It should never reach that point, of course, if you care for your cutting board properly and use your knives correctly.

>Tip: that process is called impregnating.

Infuse, saturate, impregnate, I don't give a fuck. You can always tell when someone is losing an argument, they devalue their point into a semantics argument.

>> No.5067481

>>5067311
>You can always tell when someone is losing an argument, they devalue their point into a semantics argument.

Uh, what? Where does this come from?? When did I ever complain about the glue being detrimental to my health??

This discussion was about the glue being bad for the EDGE OF THE KNIFE, remember?

And, btw: I wasn't "devaluing my point into a semantics argument" ... I was pointing out that you most likely don't know what you are talking about when you can't even use the correct terminology.

Seems to me a better way to tell when somebody is losing an argument is when he totally loses track of what the discussion was about in the first place ...

>> No.5067498

>>5067481

So what makes you think that glue is dangerous for a knife? Unless it contains an abrasive filler (which would be deliberately silly in this case), there is no glue in the world that's harder than steel.

>> No.5067556
File: 2.21 MB, 3264x2448, 1357495528857.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

End grain wood

>> No.5067572

Wood has anti microbial properties but plastic is easier to clean has less maintenance as you can just chuck it into the dish washer.

>> No.5067612

I roast whole chickens all the time (so damn good), so I use a large wood cutting board with a nice moat around the edge to catch the juices while the bird rests after being roasted.

I've never seen a cutting board made from anything but wood that has this nice feature.

>> No.5068098

>>5067481

Citation that glue dulls a knife any faster than the wood it holds together. Or plastic.

I'll wait.

>> No.5068129

>>5068098
not that guy, and, at the risk of stepping between two fire hoses of piss, I have to say that would depend on the hardness of the glue being used, as opposed to the wood, in any particular wood board, as opposed to various poly boards
most wood boards, to my knowledge, use elastic glues that remain fairly elastic when cured, but there are probably plenty out there that use shit resins too, which can dry very hard
btw, I've seen plenty of very hard poly boards, too

>> No.5068172

gentle, hygienic, durable. I will get shot down for this, but for home use. two almost exactly like op's pic. olne for meats and one for vegtables. I have no dishwasher. so both get thrown in the sink with hot water, a bit of dertergent and and oz of bleach. a single male, and pretty lax about housekeeping, but not in the kitchen. if for myself i don't give a damn, but when cooking for others, friends or family, I am a clean freak. maybe military training. if just me, I will drive with 1/16 tank of gas and low tire .if someone is riding with me, at least a half tank, the tires are ok, and i have a spare. go figure. I am afraid of hurting any one. wood cutting boards are nice looking. I have two that hang on the wall. and the counter tops are ceramic tile. just a phobia i guess. hell, if just me, i'd graze off the floor.

>> No.5068856

>>5068098

www.kitchenknifeforums.com. they have a search function on there ...

>> No.5068865

>>5068856
btw talking of search function ... search for "bamboo knife" on amazon.com, you really want to cut on shit that other people make knives from? The stuff can't be great for cutting board even without the glue

>> No.5068870

I avoid wooden board since they absorb the moisture from the food

>> No.5069122
File: 31 KB, 570x382, 1388738877328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I bought my dad a planer for Christmas for the sole purpose of having access to it when I make end-grain cutting boards out of woodworker scraps. I keep bins of assorted shapes of various woods and mix them together as I see fit. Occasionally I'll give them away, athough recently I've considered selling them on ebay or etsy.

Pic related: My inspiration for the ultimate cutting board, all made from woodwork scraps

On topic, my wood board is my veggie board (and for those who say it absorbs water, treatment with mineral oil 2-4 times a year makes this a nonissue. Coupled with its ability to sand down and resurface the cutting surface, it's an unbeatable veggie board)

I keep four cheap flexible cutting boards of different colors for meats, cheap enough that I am in no way hurt when I have to throw them away in a few months

>> No.5069127
File: 216 KB, 750x750, 1388739164489.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5066786
I wonder about those, too. I learned about them on a /v/ thread, of all things.

>> No.5069129

>>5068870

you can condition the wood with mineral oil and prevent a lot of this. If water doesn't bead on the board like it would on a windshield with a fresh coat of rainx then you're doing it wrong.

>> No.5069150

>>5069127
looks like it'd be similar to cutting on bamboo
which is only better than no board/glass/warped board
site says the surface will scratch with use, so at least it's not rock hard, but still
also there's this:
>Why does my new Epicurean® cutting surface smell when it gets wet?
Our cutting surfaces can have a "newly manufactured" odor when they are used for the first time. We recommend washing your Epicurean®products in the dishwasher or with hot soapy water. The odor will dissipate after approximately 3-4 washings.

>> No.5069218
File: 98 KB, 800x944, cuttingboards.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5067612
I actually own two different plastic boards that have this feature.

I prefer using a plastic board, but that's probably because I don't have a nice wood board.

>> No.5069464

>>5068856

I don't think you understand how the burden of proof works. I don't care about anecdotal tales; show me actual evidence.

>> No.5069538

>>5069464

Maybe I'm just getting too old for /ck/ but it seems like lately every "which X is best" debate consists of some fag dismissing everything he personally disagrees with by spamming one or more of the following arbitrarily:

>straw man
>ad hominem
>moving the goalposts
>anecdotal evidence
>that word doesn't mean what it means, extremely rare alternate definition is the only correct definition
>Harold McGee says so (incorrect citation provided)
>Modernist Cuisine says so (no citation provided)
>"Science" say so (no citation provided)

>> No.5069793

>>5065863
Most gentle: softer plastics, rubber. Basically the harder something is the more it can turn an edge, as logic would dictate.

Most hygienic appears to be wood. Although there's amazingly not a lot of evidence out there there about this it appears that wood doesn't allow bacteria to proliferate after cleaning, while with plastic it can persist well past cleaning in the scratches.

Most durable may depend on the use it's put to, but wood boards, well constructed and not abused (e.g. not soaked, not put in the dishwasher) can outlast any plastic board. This is partly because they can be resurfaced relatively easily, although more homeownwers would never go to the trouble.

>>5065869
>Wood
>Wood
>Wood
No yes yes.

Wood is often the MOST blunting to an edge dude. Only materials I can think of that are less gentle are stone, glass and Formica, and only the last one can be considered a legitimate material for a cutting board.

>> No.5069797

>>5069129
>If water doesn't bead on the board like it would on a windshield with a fresh coat of rainx then you're doing it wrong.
Actually no. It's the ability of wood to absorb moisture that gives it part of its anti-microbial action, by desiccating the bacteria.

>> No.5069801

>>5069464
>I don't think you understand how the burden of proof works. I don't care about anecdotal tales; show me actual evidence.
This is /ck/ - there is no burden of proof. If you have a contention, are curious about something, or want to refute it then you have to look it up for yourself.

We aren't going through some collective peer-review process on /ck/. And, believe it or not, people don't actually care if you don't believe them or not.

Either read up on something yourself and become informed or keep posting, "citation needed, opinion invalidated" like a retarded robot.

>> No.5069803

>>5069797
>absorbing water desiccates bacteria

>> No.5069814

>>5065863
We have a glass one for 15 thats dropped on the ground 100+ times but never broke. do they still make glass chopping boards these days? any good?

>> No.5069821

>>5069464
Why should I give a rat's ass whether people dull their knives? I have told them what I know about shit bamboo boards, if they neither believe me nor do their own research I don't give a fuck, frankly.

"Burden of proof" my ass ...I might just as you to provide proof that is NOT so right? At least I have a forum full of professional chefs, people who have been collectung and using high end knives for years and a dozen of the best custom knife makers in the US to back me up as "anecdotal evidence", what do you have? Yeah, I thought so.

>> No.5069828

>>5067556
do you honestly store your utensils like this daily?

>> No.5069829
File: 18 KB, 252x297, 1386565788863.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5067556
>that pan

>> No.5069833

>>5069821
b-b-b-b-but I said [citation needed] :(

>> No.5069837

>>5067556
what is that fucking snowshoe cat?

>> No.5069838

>>5069821
A few dozen line cooks maybe, I doubt there are many actual professional chefs.

>> No.5069843

>>5069814
*15 yrs

>> No.5069879

>>5069814

A glass cutting board is the absolutely worst thing you can use, short of cutting on a running belt sander. It will roll over your edge immediately.

>inb4 hurr durr do you have burden of proof???? That evidence is anecdotal!!!!

>> No.5069883

>>5069838
yeah cooks chefs whatever. Line cooks use knives too don't they, so it makes little difference in this context

>> No.5069961

>>5069821

>At least I have a forum full of professional chefs, people who have been collectung and using high end knives for years and a dozen of the best custom knife makers in the US to back me up as "anecdotal evidence", what do you have?

Common sense.

Adhesives becoming abrasives is never an issue with a properly maintained cutting board and a properly maintained knife will never go dull.

I am sorry you bought into the bullshit they're spewing.

>This is /ck/ - there is no burden of proof. If you have a contention, are curious about something, or want to refute it then you have to look it up for yourself.

You're dipping in the Kool-Aid and don't even know the flavor. He made the egregious claim; he has the burden of proof.

>> No.5069969

>>5069828
No, that was a picture taken to display Christmas gifts last year.
>>5069829
It is mighty fine.
>>5069837
It is a snowshoe siamese cat.

>> No.5069997
File: 20 KB, 272x256, 1385860876360.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tomatoes

>> No.5070044

>>5069961
>He made the egregious claim; he has the burden of proof.

What is so egregious about it? People make fucking KNIVES and twenty story scaffolding from bamboo, it is so tough. does that sound like a good material to be slamming you knife edge into?

>Adhesives becoming abrasives is never an issue

How about some proof for THAT statement? AFAIK there is no adhesive that was designed to be used as a cutting surface ...cyanacrylate superglue for instance is hard as hell and could easily chip your edge.
frankly I rather trust the "bullshit they spew" than what you are spewing ... if you are so adamant about it why don't you join and tell them they are spewing bullshit. Apparently you have proof for that if you explicitly name it bullshit instead of saying you have trouble believing it.

>> No.5070049

>>5070044
btw you can use the search function of that forum even if you are not a member. Just do some research first before I continue wasting my time here

>> No.5070131

>>5066499

Ah, yes... wood from a tree.

>> No.5070147

>>5070044
>What is so egregious about it?

Bamboo is softer than steel. You can cut bamboo with a steel blade. You cannot cut a piece of steel with a piece of bamboo. Therefore a bamboo cutting board is not going to appreciably dull my knife.

Don't believe me? Look up the hardness of steel and bamboo using google. Steel is so much harder that it cannot be measured on the same scale as wood, plastic, or bamboo can.

>>.cyanacrylate superglue for instance is hard as hell and could easily chip your edge.
Actually, no, it can't chip your edge. I googled hardness of cured cyanoacrylate adhesives and the most commonly reported numbers were in the 80's and 90's Shore A scale. A bunch of other adhesives are documented here:
http://www.masterbond.com/properties/hardness

...for sake of comparison the edge of a steel knife is in the range of 50-65 or so on the Rockwell C scale. A cheap store brand stainless knife will be in the low 50's; a hard carbon steel edge can get to the mid 60's. They are so far apart that you cannot even measure the hardness on the same scale. Worrying about the glue in a cutting board chipping your knives is like worrying about the water from your faucet abrading the surface of your pots and pans.

>> No.5070174

Plastic is most hygienic because it can go into a dish washer having the heat kill most the germs.

fucking amateur hour

>> No.5070206

>>5067143
>>5067248
>>5067224
>>5067273
>>5067279
>There are people who get this angry over an argument about cutting boards.

>> No.5070215

>>5070044

>does that sound like a good material to be slamming you knife edge into?

Wait, first you said it was the glue that was bad for your knife and now it's the bamboo itself?

Technically, anything can dull a carbon or stainless steel blade. Practically, however, the bamboo will do it long before any glue. But, contort your message a bit more and I'm sure you can salvage something from this argument.

Also, as this anon shows:

>>5070147

[x] Status Told

Go back to your forum of "chefs" and "culinary wizards" you fucking dolt.

>> No.5070394

>>5069803
>absorbing water desiccates bacteria
The wood absorbs water *from* the bacteria. Was that somehow not clear?

>>5070174
>Plastic is most hygienic because it can go into a dish washer having the heat kill most the germs.
>fucking amateur hour
Something for you to think about anon: you can soak a worn plastic board IN A BLEACH SOLUTION, overnight if you wanted, and if you swab it in the morning still get appreciable bacteria counts from it. And yet side by side if you just scrub a wood board and put it in a rack to dry you'd get far less.

Now who's the amateur?

>> No.5070407

>>5069803
Confirmed for not knowing basic biology

>> No.5070412

>>5066472
>The glue they use to keep all the pieces together eats up your edge.
Don't be silly. What in the hell do you base this belief on son?

They use a form of PVA for almost all wooden boards for chissakes, when set that's stuff about as hard as the average man's fingernails. In the grand scheme of things you seriously think microscopically thin layers are actually going to appreciably dull the edge of a knife?

>>5070147
>Worrying about the glue in a cutting board chipping your knives is like worrying about the water from your faucet abrading the surface of your pots and pans.
That's a good summation, although your analogy goes a bit far.

While any worry about the glue joints appreciably adding to the blunting ability of a glue-up wooden board is frankly ridiculous, it's important not to obscure a key point: that stuff which IS softer than steel CAN blunt it. Case in point is a woodworker's plane, in normal use the cutting edge would never touch anything approaching the hardness of steel and yet they do go blunt and require honing/sharpening. But you don't even need to go that far since of course plastic boards (most of them quite soft), and the food itself of course, can and does blunt kitchen knives as we all know.

>> No.5072189

Bump.

>> No.5072220

>>5070147
>>5070215

>[x] Status Told

LOL! More like status "Worn down to a nub by standard 4chan obtuseness"

I give up here. Clearly arguing, shitposting, half knowledge and so called "common sense" trumps people who actually know something about the matter and have experience with truly sharp knives. It's like talking to people who insist on arguing about the number of angles who can dance on the head of a pin.

> hurr durr bamboo is softer than steel so it cannot dull it!!

Ever heard about water grinding away rock?

I wonder if any of you little twatwaffles have ever managed to sharpen a knife to the point you could shave hair with it? I guess not. You have probably never held a truly sharp knife in you whole life. But you're the knife and edge experts here ... waste of time.

>> No.5072428

>>5072220

Water doesn't "grind" away at a rock by itself; by the way the process is called "eroding", hahaha.

It carries sediments that assist with it and it also dissolves sedimentary layers by dissolving ions.

Just admit it, you were wrong. I don't care if you have sharp or expensive knives; I do too buddy. That doesn't excuse me from common fucking sense when someone questions me on the bullshit I'm preaching simply because I heard some other people on a forum say it.

THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

>> No.5072447

>>5065884
>wood has no chemicals in it