[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 48 KB, 500x375, friller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5024853 No.5024853[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

does /ck/ have a cheap bachelor chow type recipe? Perpetual skinnyfag here struggling to get all his macros

Pasta tastes nice, but is way more expensive than rice, but rice is shit, doesn't absorb flavors and doesn't go with sauce as well as pasta. Recently, i've tried using flour to make some kind of paste, but for some reason it's easier to find 8kg of rice than 10kg of flour in here, and per amount of calories, rice is generally cheaper unless i get the really big bags of flour.

Does anyone have a good way to make nice meat-based pate like consistency?? what starch do you use? wheat flour, cornstarch, TVP, oatz grind, soy lecithin? Getting the flavor right would be easy as long as you have plenty of garlic, onions, herbs and spices, but I'm looking for the ultimate texture.

also any latinos here? how do you make that cheap beef filler thing you guys use in pupusas and the cheapest mince burritos? I find it's mostly latinos from the carribbeans and south america that uses that

>> No.5025087
File: 273 KB, 1600x1290, choka baigan red.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.5025102

>>5024853
>rice doesn't absorb flavors

lol, whut? rice absorbs flavors very well. the trick is you have to put the flavor in with the DRY rice and then let it absorb as the rice cooks. For example, cook the rice with stock instead of plain water.

>>that cheap beef filler thing
Minced beef. Season with cumin, garlic, salt, pepper. Cook.

>> No.5025122

>>5025102
i've done that plenty of times but usualy it takes forever to absorb the flavor and then my shit gets mushy I dunno maybe I'm not doing it right. LIke all of the flavor from a rice dish usually would come from the outside, same with beans and pasta.

also, i don't want it to be all meat and veggies, I want to stretch it with a starch other than rice, so it can be more economical and provide me with carbs

>> No.5025138
File: 525 KB, 1750x1313, 1379704432156.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5025146

>>5025122

Hmmm, maybe make a stew, then toss pasta or rice in at the end of cooking since they take much less time to cook than the meat does. That way you've got meat, veggies, and starch. If you want it to be a uniform paste for some reason just overcook it and everything will fall apart on its own, or you can use an immersion blender.

>> No.5025156

>>5025138
interesting but in the end it looks more like another rice dish than actually bachelor chow, picadillo/taco bell taco beef mix

>>5025146
hmm overcooking and blender seems like a good idea. I wanted to get away from rice, because I've had it for so long, but it's hard to find a good cheaper substitute here. .

>> No.5025223

>>5024853
You can make simple chicken and rice dishes. Browned chicken and veges, seasoning and stock, simmer until the chicken is done, pretty good just needs a decent amount of salt.

You could try cooking cheap bone in roasts, pork ribs, neck cuts work well for thickening sauces.

Dunno how much offal is where you live, where I live I can get liver and kidneys pretty cheap, works well thickening stews too.

>> No.5025267

>>5024853
you could try different kinds of rice?

I know that wild rice goes very well with stews and chili

>> No.5025278

I've made a cheap bachelor chow by combining

1 can of chili (any brand)

with

1 bag of frozen vegetables (any brand)

season how you like.

>> No.5025279

>>5025278
You could also add ramen & cheese to it.

>> No.5025289

>>5025267
meh too similar, like i really don't want a grain like or noodle texture. I mean I can really enjoy noodles and pasta but it's too expensive and labor intensive to enjoy regularly, I'm looking for another maintenance carb kind of thing, my go to carb.

Today I mixed 130g of med ground beef with half a cup of flour, a medium onions and spices. Shit is so mealy... maybe I should add bulghur in it for texture and since it'so so much more easily found than TVP.

>> No.5025299

>>5025289
I feel you man, but when I put it in beef stew it really helps bring out the great flavor and texture of it

>> No.5025309

>>5025289
forgot to mention a few tablespoons of crushed tomatoes.

In the end I,m eating my thing with rice, it would take way too much flour to compensate for a lack of rice, and then my shit would become way too thick. Its crazy thick right now as it is.... I wonder if it'll rise if i add in baking powder and stick it in the oven

>> No.5025397

cook bite sized pieces of meat add onions sautee. cook ramen in seperate pot using only a third a packet of seasoning drain ramen add remaining ramen seasoning mix then add to pan with meat and onion. fry everything some more until flavors are good then serve in taco shells. bachelor ramen tacos

>> No.5025404

brown rice
red & brown lentils
carrots
onions
bok choy
kale
tomato paste
spices
combine those into a stew and enjoy OP
I made about 12qts for ~$25 (not including spices)

>> No.5025415

welp, you know what, maybe I should abandon that mush chow idea and just keep eating rice and stews, probably more stews than before