[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 58 KB, 635x758, that feel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5010849 No.5010849[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I eat well as a poor student?

I'm sick of ramen for every meal.

>> No.5010856

>>5010854
won't I die of malnutrition?

>> No.5010854

rice and beans
canned tuna/salmon + flour and onions

>> No.5010860

>>5010854

i second rice and beans.

together they form a complete protein. which explains why there's so many tall and buff mexicans walking around.

...wait a minute.

>> No.5010859

>>5010856
you are now worried about malnutrition after eating ramen every meal?

>> No.5010861

>>5010859
Yes, ramen made me unhealthy and frail, I need to stop before I die.

>> No.5010863

>>5010861
k add a vitamin supplement or eat an apple a day

that or order soylent

>> No.5010867
File: 50 KB, 533x400, 5dozen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

eggs are pretty inexpensive. get the giant 5 dozen box of them from costco.

protein for days and days.

>> No.5010879

whole chicken $5 per
10 pounds of rice $15
10 pounds beans $15
assorted vegetables at will
cabbage, onions, carrots, potatoes are able to be found cheap
roast chicken
remove breast meat and drum sticks
1/2 breast or drumstick per meal with desired veg/rice/bean combo
can add different flavors when roasting for a little extra dosh
10 pounds rice and 10 pounds beans will last you a long time
should be able to get 4 very good meals out of about $8
make stock out of carcass
use stock for soup base for maximum cost effectiveness, sauces if splurging

>> No.5010886

Minced Beef is cheap - Bolognese , Shepherd's Pie, Meatballs, Chilli

>> No.5010912

Like, how poor is poor?

Because if you're smart you can spend around $50 a week at the grocery store and get everything you need. Not counting coupons. Depending on your situation you might want to take up couponing... you can get things for free they just won't be as good for you as fresh meat, fruit, and vegetables. There's plenty of "how-to" coupon sites out there.

>> No.5011003

>>5010849

Anon. I am also a shit poor student. Eating well is very easy on a budget. I often am able to eat stake or pork chops multiple times a week.

The secret is the allocation of money (priorities) and finding a good deal.

I know, I know. You are saying, "Hey fuck you anon! I don't have time to look at coupons and the weekly savings in the paper!" Well anon neither do I. When I go shopping I check to see if my "favorite" items are on sale or bargain worthy. If not I say fuck it and go for the top ramen.

Every other week I am able to find a really good deal. i.e. Yesterday, I bought a pack of five 1 inch thick pork chops for 6 dollars.

If you are able to find deals on meats, go for it (if you eat/like meat). Make sure to prepare them for freezing or cooking as soon as possible, otherwise its a waste.

For fruits & vegetables, go for seasonal. Even if you can get tomatoes year around, the price changes year around (depending on your local), this is true of most other produce.

Also as >>5010867 said you can never lose with eggs; cheap, nutrition rich, delicious, and versatile.

I digress. Hope this helps OP.

>> No.5011014

>>5010867

no normal human being can go through 5 dozen eggs by themselves before it spoils.

>> No.5012399

>>5011014
But if they try, can they please stay DOWNWIND!

>> No.5012408

>>5010886
Minced pork is cheaper. Mussels and sprats are rediculously cheap (£3/kg in bongland). Because people are scared of seafood you can often get it reduced or it's simply cheap. Pork hocks are also very cheap, tending towards £2.50/kg in more expensive butchers, but you do need an oven and three hours to roast it.

>> No.5012416

a pound of pasta is $1 and cheap sauce is only $1.50

>> No.5012420

>>5011014
they last at least two weeks, that's a mere 4.3 eggs a day

>> No.5012470

I just made a big pan of rice and lentils. Probably cost me like 50 cents. Tasty too.

Probably could have thrown in some frozen broccoli, carrots, and stuff like that.

Bananas and carrots are pretty cheap. Potatoes.

I'd build my meals around beans and grains, and whatever you can get on sale. And buy in bulk.

>> No.5012506

>>5011014

Eggs last for months, it wouldn't be that hard to eat 60 eggs in 3 months.

>> No.5012525

I used to live off pierogi. You have to spend a day to make them, yes, but you make a fuckton and freeze it, so you have dinner in 10 minutes every day.

Recipe:

1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of hot water
1/4 tsp of salt
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp of oil

Make dough, let rest for 30 minutes, roll, cut out circles, put stuffing inside, seal, boil in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Stuffing:

1kg of potatoes
250g white cheese
2 onions

Chop onions, fry on a little bit of olive oil untill soft and brown-ish. Peel potatoes, cook potatoes, mash potatoes. Add cheese, onion, mash again. Add salt, pepper and red paprika to taste.

DELICIOUS

>> No.5012578

>>5012525
No offense, but potatoes, cheese, and flour doesn't sound nutritious. At least not as much as >>5010854

>> No.5012585

>>5012578
Flour is rediculously cheap for dem delicious calories and not that unhealthy. Spaetzle>pierogi though, dumplings r geh.

>> No.5012591

>>5012578
Eh, I guess I focused more on the student + poor part, not healthy part.

>> No.5012634

Always look in the clearance/damaged section of the grocery store. Fresh bread, could be fresher but still tasty, that sort of thing. Use you head though, don't get a clearly opened can of soup

>> No.5012776

>>5012634
>damaged section
How do I even find that magical place

>> No.5012799

"Poor" college students:

>spend shitloads of money on chitty vodka and shitty weed
>proceed to buy shitty fast food when drunk/high
>whenever they get money that could buy some cooking tools, spices, and oils, they buy a new phone or laptop
>whenever they go shopping they buy tv dinners and overpriced beetus juice

i'm sure there are some genuinely dirt fucking poor college kids out there, but i'm surrounded by people that just waste money. if you want to eat better, get a frying pan and a saucepan, and a few spices. it's super easy and doesn't cost much of anything in the long run. it just requires some money up front, and most college students blow through that without realizing what has slipped through their fingers.

>> No.5012818

>>5012408
I wish mussels were this cheap where I live. All shellfish is expensive as heck here.

>> No.5012844

>>5011014
Do you not have a refridgerator? In all my life I have never seen an egg spoil. Not once.

>> No.5012900

>>5010861
Nigga the beans are nutritious, way more than ramen. Also eat brown rice if possible.

>> No.5012933

I'm poor. I eat a lot of cabbage and lentils. I also shop for produce that's in season. Winter squashes are delicious, and if you buy a big squash (or even a small one) you can roast the seeds. Free bonus snack!

About cabbage: I make a lot of coleslaw and cabbage salad, but it can be smelly if you boil it. I prefer roasted cabbage, which is delicious. I fully support cabbage as a green vegetable if other greens are expensive. Also, frozen broccoli and spinach are pretty cheap. Rice is very cheap, as are dried beans. Throw some onions and garlic in there, are you have quite a few options. Soup, pilaf, I dunno, some kind of meatless meatloaf.

As far as meat goes, I usually get a whole chicken or whatever parts are cheapest. And for omega 3's, sardines are pretty good. I also eat eggs like mad. And sunflower seeds. And peanuts.

Also, if you can stretch more expensive ingredients by using them sparingly with starches and "fillers", it's easier to eat well and cheaply without getting bored.

>> No.5012936

Uni student here. What I do is go to Sainsbury's or Waitrose, and find one of their deals on meat. Usually it's 3 for £10, so I'll buy either two things of beef and one thing of chicken, or two things of chicken and one thing of beef. Then I'll go down to the vegetable section and buy a large head of brocolli and a bunch of carrots, and that will feed me for the week. I usually spend about £15 a week on food as a result, which means I have a bunch of money left over in my loan to enjoy myself.

>> No.5012941

>>5012799
Most people don't know how to cook the simplest things from what I've observed from my roommates in college.

>> No.5012974

I was about to make this thread. Bump for great justice.

>> No.5013788

>>5010849

Why don't you just get a job at a restaurant? Are you disabled? If you're disabled you might be able to get on disability and then you can buy whatever food you like. Also, if you try, you might get on food stamps. You can buy licorice, soda, pizzas, anything you like! GL!

>> No.5013799

Rice. Lentils. Various legumes. Potatoes. Onions. Carrots. Cheap mince. Buy whole chickens, eat the fuckers then make stock with them. Pasta with tomato sauce. Spices are your friends.
ALWAYS be on the look out for discounts of vegetables and fruits (Buy seasonal shit)

Come on people

>> No.5013806

>>5013799

Continued.
Eggs are good. Buy whey powder if you wanna make a longer term investment in proteions.
Mixed frozen bag of vegetables and frozen spinach. Frozen tilapia and other "Fish".
Being a poorfag and eating like this is way healtier than being a rich fuck and eat shit.

Bake your own bread. You can't into yeast? Just knead simple dough (Flour + Water) and make homemade flour tortillas. Buy polenta (Coarse corn flour) and make cornbread or polenta (Let is chill, solidify, then slice it and pan fry it to obtain something like bread).

Make soup. Soup is good. You don't know what to make? Put water in a big pot, throw a bullion cube in it, open the fridge and throw random stuff (Lentils, carrots, spinach) in it. Eat.

Pasta can be good even by itselt. Just cook it al dente and then throw it in a pan with olive oil, pepper or whatever the fuck and eat. Bonus point if you make pasta cacio e pepe (Ground pecorino, pepper, some of the water you cooked the pasta with. Basically the ancestor of mac and cheese).

>> No.5013838

>>5010849

Brown a lb of ground beef
Prepare a package of pasta that you like
Open a big can of crushed tomatoes, add some water and some garlic powder

Drain the pasta and rinse it, drain all the fat off the ground beef, reduce the sauce, put it all together. Decent the first day, much better the second day. Hot, filling and cheap. Serve it with a vegetable and call it dinner.

>> No.5013873

>>5010849
>>5010849
1. Don't get eggs, it's not worth it (the hens pay the price in pain).

2. Lentils and beans/peas have been mentioned, now I will tell you how to bake your own healthy bread.

You can replace about half of the flour in a bread recipe with boiled lentils, beans or peas. What these legumes do for your bread is to add protein, fiber and vitamins, and they can act as an egg replacer provided that you bake with normal flour (not gluten free). Oats also add protein, fiber and vitamins, but remember that they soak up a lot of moisture, so add a little extra water. This is the ratio I use:

300g legumes
300g flour
50g fresh yeast/1 satchet dry yeast
A dash of oil
A dash of salt
Hot water (especially if you use dry yeast it can and should be warmer than body temperature)

Mix the ingredients together, knead the dough until you can't take it anymore and leave it to rise for an hour. Punch the air out of that sucker and knead it some more. Put in a bread pan (or not, you just get a flatter bread if you don't) and let it rise for another 30 min. Bake the bread for about 30 min on 220C.

3. Plan your meals ahead. Buy cheap fresh vegetables and prepare them in stews, curries, chilis, sauces etc. Freeze the prepared food in portion sizes to avoid having to worry about it expiring. My favourite is homemade healthy pizza (go easy on the cheese or drop it altogether for extra cheapness).

4. Veggie soups. Make them creamy by adding oats and using a handheld blender. No worries if you don't have a blender, you'll just get a soup with more texture.

>> No.5013886

>>5012844
>keeping eggs in the fridge

>> No.5013894

>>5012936
If you can find places that sell massive bags of carrots, usually for horses, that's a lot cheaper (£2/10kg) and the carrots are often better. Massive bags of onions are good too though with both there's a risk of spoilage, but it tends to be so much cheaper it doesn't matter if you lose half the bag.

>> No.5013896

>>5013886
>living in a cool climate faggot country.

>> No.5013899
File: 8 KB, 225x225, 1386774854907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP is on a diet, a Ramon noodle every night diet

>> No.5013909

>>5013873
Fuck off you vegan piece of shit - He wanted advice on how to live cheaply, not "giving a fuck about hens" - Anon's guide to being a lonely faggot

>> No.5013917

>>5013894

Onions are damn tasty, but they have minimal nutritional content. If OP is really poor then his money would be better spent elsewhere. Dark green veggies are where the real nutrition is, like kale, spinach, collard greens, etc. Light colored veggies like iceberg lettuce, onions, etc, contain minimal nutrients.

>> No.5013924

>>5013917
I don't know why people like you always insinuate that iceberg lettuce has low nutritional value. I've never read any scientific evidence that can prove this. I've been eating it since I was 5 or 7 years old and am damn sure healthier than you lot on here trading McDollar menu item tips.

>> No.5013928

>>5013924

Just look it up bro. Find any website which has the nutritional content of foods. For example:
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Look up iceberg lettuce and compare it to other veggies like carrots or kale or spinach. Iceberg lettuce is basically water. It's not bad for you, but it's nowhere near as nutritious as most other veggies.

>> No.5013930

>>5013924
dis nigga srs? It's nutritional value is next to water.

>> No.5013935

>>5013928
>>5013930

I see the no-GMO fags are in full effect on here. Color me surprised. I'll just mosey on back to /fit/, fatfu/ck/s.

>> No.5013937

>>5013935
What the fuck are you going on about?

>> No.5013939

>>5013935

What does any of this have to do with GMOs? It's not hard to google the nutritional content of lettuce.

>> No.5014215
File: 13 KB, 178x178, tinfoil-hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5010849
>How do I eat well as a poor student?

Quit blowing your cash on booze and marihuana.

>> No.5014782

>>5013873

>the hens pay the price in pain

my fucking sides

>> No.5016244

get a slow cooker

your life will improve about 10,000%

>> No.5016253

>>5012799

the weed I buy is NOT shitty, nerdpants

>> No.5016259

>>5012799
This.

>> No.5016332

>>5010849
get a job as some food places even if its fast food. try to get shifts that cover closing then you can take home free food~

>> No.5016334

>>5012799
>but i'm surrounded by people that just waste money
So? Apparently they can afford it, who gives a shit.

>> No.5016358

Well you could eat
>eggs
>cheap cuts of meat (that you could also make into a stew if you have the time and appliances)
>green cabbage with one green apple and polish sausage
> red beans and rice
>chili
>split pea soup
>oatmeal

Just find stuff that's cheap and easy. Where I live everything I listed is pretty cheap to get and the colleges around here either have shared kitchens, allow some small appliances in the dorms, or most of the kids live off campus.

>> No.5016392

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html -
>use shit oil instead of olive oil
>forget the grains of paradise and celery
>use water instead of broth
>use half a 6 oz can of tomato paste instead of whole tomatoes to go extra cheap

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curried-split-pea-soup-recipe/index.html
>use water instead of broth

http://www.budgetbytes.com/

>> No.5016404
File: 23 KB, 307x485, 1383063369696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5010849
poor student here. learn to cook vegetables. steal some spices cans. buy pasta/rice. change your meat by eating eggs.
problem solved!

>> No.5016496

>>5012776
It's usually somewhere in the refridgerated section, on the bottom shelf. There are certain weekdays when tons of food get dumped in there (usually around midnght I think), and I think the end of the month too, because food that says (for example) best before end: APR will be thrown in there at the end of April.

A friend of mine also checks the best before/sell by dates on full priced food (especially refridgerated) and if it's the day it has to be sold by he'll haggle it down. Often gets stuff half price.

>> No.5016510

>>5016334
I usually wouldn't care, but these people constantly talk about how they are "poor college students" who can only afford to eat ramen. There are many students out there who are actually poor, and these people are not among them. It's dishonesty. Its like class tourism or something.