[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 478 KB, 3174x1692, turkey-giblets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4980787 No.4980787[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So what should I do with the Giblets /ck/?
I was thinking of just frying them, what do you do?
I don't really want to throw them away.

>> No.4980822

I usually roast them along with the bones and throw them in the stock pot. Once the stock is done, I usually give the bits of meat and giblets to the dog.

>> No.4980833

>>4980787
>mfw my dog is picky as shit

>> No.4980847

Make giblet gravy. Best use for them.

>> No.4980849

>>4980787

the neck and heart are actually good to just eating.
the gizzard and liver can be like ground up and mixed with the gravy.

>> No.4980882

>>4980787
Garlic Peri Peri Gibs, fucking delicious.

>> No.4980889

Take your giblets, the wing tips, and the spine (if you're butterflying your turkey)
Fry them up in a pan, make a roux with the drippings, add chicken stock to make gravy

Then remove all the meat from the wingtips, neck, and spine, chop that up finely with everything else, and add it back into your gravy.

>> No.4980999

I personally boil them and then fry them. I love the taste of the liver

>> No.4981024

>>4980787

shop the liver to small slices and grill it in the pan. then add some souse and you can have great topping for the noodles and rice.
the same is for heart but you also can boil is slowly in the water also slices as a soup. you can make great potato soup with gizzard.
Neck is delicious as grilled in oven with so fat and different spice and vegetable additions.

>> No.4981733

>>4980787

I have or I had a picture of a bird hopping on another bird and just eating its neck, and leaving it alive without a neck.

It's actually rather gory, and creepy, and immensely scary that a creature would actually do that.

>> No.4981763

>>4980787
My fav Giblet gravy
>Brown all of them in a pot
>Add some water and simmer for an hour or so
>Cut all the meat off the Neck, Chop up the rest
>Add in the Pan dripping, Diced Onion Flour etc to make gravy
>Add a sliced up hard boiled egg or two.

By far what I look forward to most on Thanksgiving day. I have some Beet Pickled Eggs I just made last week and I'm thinking of adding them instead of regular eggs.

>> No.4981777

>>4981733
I've seen this picture and that's all I've got to say.

Turn the bits into gravy or fry them and then gravy.

>> No.4981791

I boil them and give them to the dogs. Feel quite gluttonous with all the food, so they get one meal that isn't kibble.

>> No.4981866

The neck I put in the roasting pan with the turkey to help flavor the drippings (which will be used for gravy) then I give it to the dog.

I sauteed the heart, gizzard, and liver with garlic and shallots in white wine, and ate it with pasta last night for dinner after I prepped the turkey and put it in the fridge

>> No.4981976
File: 12 KB, 403x403, 1371790708827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I ate the heart, liver, AND neck and gave the gizzards to the dog

It was simmered for awhile so we could extract some of the flavor to make gravy with (as well as the juice from the turkey). Nobody wanted the "gross parts" as they so put it.

Their loss, shit was delicious.

>> No.4982000

My mom just puts them in the same pan as the bird and we eat them?
Why waste? They're delicious!

>> No.4982756

Doesn't the liver make everything bitter? I understand the neck, heart, and gizzard, its all just muscle, but the gizzard is straight up iron-y organ.

>> No.4982774

Here's what I do with the turkey:

Bring frozen turkey home.
Carefully saw through to remove wings, leg quarters and spine.
Remove wingtips from wings.
Freeze wings and leg quarters.
Brine turkey breast.
Weigh spine, neck and wingtips then place into a pot with double their weight in water (IE if they weigh 35oz/1kg, and 70floz/2litres of water).
Simmer, removing scum from time to time, until liquid is reduced by about half.
Strain through colander to remove large pieces.
Strain through sieve to remove finer pieces.
Strain through mesh to remove particulate matter.
Chill stock overnight; meanwhile, carefully remove salvageable meat from neck, spine and wingtips, being sure to avoid taking bones with you.
Save all meat and discard all bones.
Remove fat layer from stock and place it in a pan.
Mince giblets.
For each US cup/250ml of stock, make sure there are 1½tbsp each of flour and cooking fat (a mixture of rendered turkey fat and butter or oil) in the pan and set to medium-low/low heat.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the flour paste is blonde in colour.
Add minced giblets and a minced onion and stir about until flour paste is golden.
Whisk in stock and cook until reduced in volume to gravy consistency.
Stir in salvaged meat.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Off the heat and stir in minced parsley.
Store giblet gravy in fridge.
After brining from Monday to Thanksgiving, roast breast meat until delicious.
Slice and serve with giblet gravy.

I always buy a a bunch of chicken wings around this time of year, too, so I can make about two more servings of stock from chicken wingtips and the leftover turkey carcass. That's just for me. Fuck guests.
The leg quarters I either smoke or cook outdoors.
The wings I always smoke and use them to cook the collards.

>> No.4982776

clean them. grind them. spice them. fry them up into sausage balls.

>> No.4982909

blend them in the food processor and throw them in the stuffing.

>> No.4984874

giblets are the best for gravy

>> No.4985401

I usually fry them with garlic and coriander then squeeze some lemon on them when done.