[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 56 KB, 413x310, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4978914 No.4978914[STICKY]  [Reply] [Original]

What's for thanksgiving dinner?

>> No.4978928

the usual stuff. Any ideas for things people might not usually make for thanksgiving dinner? I'd love to make lefse but i dont have a griddle.

Also this year I will be making lemon cranberry bread from scratch. Looks easy enough.

>> No.4978967

Not going home for Thanksgiving because I work all day Friday and Saturday, so I'm probably gonna keep it simple since I'm short on cash.

Chicken, rice and vegetable soup. Homemade bread. Might bake an apple or pumpkin pie if I feel arsed enough to do it tonight while I'm making the starter for the bread or tomorrow morning after I work out.

>> No.4978986

I'm cooking everything myself this year. Last night, I baked yeast rolls, sausage balls, and prepped other ingredients like toasted pecans, chopped celery and onions, and cut up the sourdough bread into cubes so it can stale up, etc. After I finish my coffee, I'm about to go in the kitchen and make pumpkin cheesecake bars and pecan pie bars. I've got my turkey out to prep (got to rub that big bird down with seasonings). Then, later today, I'll make the baked mashed potatoes and stuffing so I can just throw them in the oven tomorrow. So all that will be left for tomorrow will be roasting the turkey, making the green bean casserole (which will take the most time because I do it all from scratch), making some waldorf salad (yum), baking the sides, and making the relish plate. I sure as shit hope I haven't forgotten anything. If I have time, I'm also going to make some cinnamon swirl bread for tomorrow morning to go with the sausage balls, coffee and apple cider-champagne cocktails we are having while we watch the parade.

>> No.4978994

Smoked gouda, bacon mashed potatos.... Apple bacon stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce..... Smoked turkey, brined in bourbon and oranges.

>> No.4979004

To grandma's house for turkey with the mouth-moisture absorbing power commercial sponge makers wish they could replicate, watery gravy, boxed mashed potatoes, overcooked steamed vegetables, biscuits from a can, and a diabetic-friendly dessert.

I love you, grandma.

>> No.4979008

>>4979004
I am saddened by this. Please go help her.

>> No.4979010

>>4979004
Well at least she won't be serving fermented sugar-free grape substitute as a beverage

>> No.4979018

>>4979008

I offer every year, and she laughs it off.

>>4979010

Undoubtedly the beverage of choice will be diet birch beer.

>> No.4979031

Deep fried turkey with fries. I find a mix of 40/40/20 vegetable/peanut/beef fat works best for the oil. I split the frying time on the fries half before I add the bird and half after I take it out.

>> No.4979061

Well K made a soup from veg, a roast, tomatoes, etc, so I have that to eat. I:m going to pick up a Turkey from aldis just because it yields a lot of meat and broth. I last had one in June and the meat and juice ran out just a month and a half ago.

I will also be gorging myself on Christmas chocolates. Now that I think about it, I'm actually going to make green bean casserole. I love that shit.

>> No.4979076

>>4979004
My grandma and uncle are diabetic so this is what we have

> a ham log. Like, giant reformed ham clwarmed and sliced
> store buns
> carrots cooked with country crock
> boxed stuffing made with two huge scoops of country crock
> a green fluff desert made of sugar free lime jello, cool whip, cottage cheese, and pineapple

The fluff is good but I have to choke down oily veg, off flavoured ham, and thatngodawful stuffingnir starve to death.

Last holiday I made a meat pie with biscuits on top and brought it with. It was really great.

They just don't know how to cook well while managing their diabetes. They wouldn't listen if I made them a recipe book because my grandma is 70 and my uncle doesn't cook, so they stick with stuff my grandma can basically throw n a pot and cook. My uncle also hates 99% of vegetables and the foods he should be eating to manage his diabetes. Yay.

>> No.4979099

>>4979076
Same thing we have every year

>Turkey
>Mom's stuffing, which is made in huge batches yet is always gone before the night ends
>Too-sweet sweet potatoes ( baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows )
>Green bean casserole
>Mashed potatoes
>Rolls
>Mom's cranberry sauce
>Pumpkin pie

New additions this year is a caramel pie and my sister is bringing a thanksgiving pie and another one. Pretty excited for that stuffing.

>> No.4979370

Turkey, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, sausage stuffing, deviled eggs, rolls, broccoli casserole, mac and cheese, bread pudding with apple-cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. I'm also considering making something with goat cheese and some roasted vegetables. My nephew has requested "bacon and bacon turkey". Any additional suggestions? It's food for 6 adults and 3 kids, though sometimes we pick up stragglers who don't have family they can celebrate with. I don't think that's going to happen this year, but it's a possibility.

>> No.4979496

I'm cooking the turkey and stuffing this year. What should I use for stuffing, rye bread or sourdough?

>> No.4979526

>Pumpkin soup shooters with cinnamon and sour cream on top
>Herb butter turkey
>Brown sugar and pineapple ham
>Garlic mashed potatoes
>Cranberry sauce with grapes and orange zest
>Green bean casserole, from scratch
>Brussels sprouts with bacon
>Sweet potato casserole with marshmallow
>Baked macaroni and cheese
>Maple glazed carrots, parsnips and butternut squash
>Corn pudding
>Mom's sage sausage stuffing
>Challah rolls (because Thanksgivikkuh)
>Gravy made from turkey drippings
>Apple pie. homemade
>Pumpkin pie, not homemade
>Chocolate trifle
>Pumpkin cheesecake
>Chewy brown sugar cookies
>Spice cake

I started cooking 3 weeks ago.

>> No.4979529

Dad's smoking a turkey this year, should be delicious.

I requested roasted beets and goat cheese and pumpkin pie.

>> No.4979545

Local free-range turkey breast (shit was fucking expensive and had to be ordered a few months ago)
Mashed potatoes with sour cream,cheddar and bacon
Focaccia rolls
coconut cream pie, cheesecake, pumpkin pie
ceasar salad
brussels sprouts with garlic

Trying to think of something else to add to the menu but no one in my family is too adventurous when it comes to the food

>> No.4979562

loaves of white turkey in gravy with packages of dinner rolls with garlic butter.

I'm dirt poor.

>> No.4979588

>>4979562
>loaves of white turkey in gravy
I love those damn things and I'm rich, bitch.

>> No.4979595

>>4978986
can I come over?

>> No.4979609

Roast goose (We got tired of turkey and wanted something else)
Baked ham
Baked beans
Sourdough biscuits
Candied yams
Fried chicken
Mushroom gravy
Baby back ribs
Pumpkin cheesecake
Peas and carrots
Pickled beets
Corn on the cob
Baked squash

>> No.4979617

Turkey.
Turkey Gravy.
stuffing.
sweet potato and mashed potatoes.
fried mushrooms.
Cranberry sauce.
pecan and pumpkin pie.
Rolls.
We do this every year I'm thinking perhaps I should add something new this year.

>> No.4979631

>>4979526
>green been casserole, from scratch
What does this even mean, do you make the cambells cream of mushroom from scratch or do you make the green beens from scratch?

>> No.4979642

It's just me, the wife, and the kid this year. Wife's a vegetarian, and the kid's under the weather and won't eat much.

Roast turkey breast
mashed potatoes
carrots
broccoli and cheese
for my wife I'm trying a veggie lasanga recipe I found- butternut squash with brown butter, sage, goat cheese
"stuffing" rolls. (just regular roll but the bread dough is made with mirepoix and sage)
cranberry sauce
apple pie
lambic framboise to drink

Pretty simple, really

>> No.4979639

Oh the glory of having a family of chefs.
My brother is smoking a turkey with some maple syrup and bourbon concoction.
I'm making Coq au Vin
My other brother is making Turducken.

>> No.4979790

I'm bringing vegan raspberry tiramisu cupcakes and key lime pies, on a cupcake tree that holds 23.

>> No.4979813

>>4979631
Fresh green beans, making your own crispy onions, making a cream sauce from a roux and sauteed mushrooms instead of that fucking horrendous canned mushroom soup shit.

That's how I make mine anyway, can't speak for the other guy but I would assume something along those lines as well.

>> No.4979834

cornbread stuffed cornish hens
sweet and gold roast potato medley
acorn quash shittake bean soup
cranberry sauce
steamed broccoli
rolls
berry pie

>> No.4979841

All I look forward to on Thanksgiving is eating a ton of olives before dinner and jello cake for dessert. Everything in between is irrelevant.

>> No.4979852

>>4978914
I'm spending thanksgiving with my bf. He got a turkey from his work, but I don't know if we're going to make it. It will just be the two of us and maybe a couple friends will stop by. So it doesn't make much sense to make a whole turkey. So we'll probably just end up eating out.

>> No.4979875

My sisters are the best cooks in the family, so they're making most of the food.

THEM MEATS, SON:
Turkey
Ham

SIDES FOR YOUR HUNGRY BITCH-ASS:
Sweet potatoes
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatoes
Deviled eggs
Pumpkin bread
Non-dairy corn and zucchini casserole
Cheesy Three Corn Casserole (I'm actually making this one)
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole

DESSERTS, YOU FAT FUCKS:
Pumpkin Pie
Jello No Bake Cheesecake
Turtle Pie
(Mom is making some kind of cake, no idea what, though.)

I guess there'll also be rolls of some sort? And somebody will probably be making homemade cranberry sauce.
I'm pretty much going to eat everything but the green bean casserole, corn and zucchini casserole, and sweet potatoes.

>> No.4980226

>>4979852
1) cut turkey in half, cook half of it freeze other half
2) make whole thing, make turkey stock out of leftovers
3) make whole thing, turkey sandwiches all week

>> No.4980238

>>4978986
sounds fuckin awesome

>> No.4980271

Pretty much the same thing that we always have. The mac and cheese is a new addition.

Brined turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sausage and butternut squash casserole
Stuffing
Macaroni and cheese
Green bean casserole
Good ol' jellied cranberry sauce
Hawaiian rolls
A couple pies that my mom is bringing, so I have no idea what they are

>> No.4980275

>>4980271
Ah shit, we're having sweet potatoes too. I forgot about those. Tomorrow will be fun.

>> No.4980299

Turkey
large sliced bread dumplings
liver dumplings
sauerkraut and pickles
mashed potatoes
green beans
roasted brussels sprouts
deviled eggs
pumpernickel bread hollowed out with spinach dip
whatever other vegetable dishes and pies my family wants to bring over

>> No.4980767

Small Turkey
Green Been Casserole
Home-made mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Rolls
Wine
Pumpkin Pie
Ice-Cream

>> No.4980813
File: 293 KB, 1200x1600, IMG_0231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4980817

1. roasted pork loin
2. Carrots and potatoes roasted with the loin
3. Romaine lettuce salad
4. pork stuffing
5. gravy
6. crescent rolls
7. maple faux pecan pie

>> No.4980829

The usual Thanksgiving fair prepared by relatives

1. Turkey
2. Whipped Potatoes
3. Sweet Potato Casserole
4. Stuffing
5. Stuffed Mushrooms
6. Roasted Vegetable pie

Chips and dip, cheese and crackers and shrimp for the apps.

Pumpkin Pie, Cocunut Cream Pie, Brownies and Choc Chip cookies for dessert.

>> No.4980872

Canada here, I will deep fry some chicken and use a can of leftover cranberry sauce and cry.

>> No.4980875

Turkey, Stuffing, Gravy, Etc.
Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Potatoes
Baked Beans
Plain White Rice
Corn
Honey Glazed Ham
Apple Pie, Flan, and/or Ice Cream for Dessert

>> No.4980891

Chipotle.

>> No.4980903

Chinese food of some sort, as per tradition. Hopefully some crispy roast duck and suckling pig on the menu, but who knows?

>> No.4980907

Chicken, brussel sprouts, and rice.

>> No.4980911

3 particularly harsh cigarettes, a carafe of black coffee, and a deep contempt for every soulless materialist whose greed is responsible for me having to work.

>> No.4980933

>>4980813
For some reason I thought I saw "OVER 20 LBS OF PUSSY AND ASS" on the package...

>> No.4980942
File: 119 KB, 519x482, Is this nigger fucking serious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>supposed to have dinner at cousins house
>12:30 get a text saying what time to go over
>3:00 get another text saying be broke up with his girlfriend of the last 5 years and got kicked out
>thanksgiving is cancelled

so nothing...

what I would like to know is what happened between 12:30 and 3

>> No.4980977
File: 219 KB, 500x336, 32[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4980982

Chinese food, followed by the butchering of the deer I hit with my car which will be Christmas dinner.

>> No.4980983

>>4980942
A fight.

>> No.4980985
File: 156 KB, 1600x1200, 335813_208512162553663_1838279635_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm doing Prime Rib. This was my dry run. Very happy with the results.

>> No.4980993

1. Oven roasted turkey
2. Mashed potatoes with bacon
3. Green bean casserole
4. Turkey gravy
5. Pillsbury biscuits with honey glaze
6. Monkeybread (usually pumpkin pie but changing it up)
7. Bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers
8. Baked Yams

>> No.4981000

Mostly the traditionall stuff. My folks are all gathering at my parents house and she's making most of the food, so I thought I'd contribute with some chocolate coffee banana bread and Cajun roasted acorn squash.

>> No.4981005
File: 77 KB, 800x535, 6a00d8357edf6c69e200e5538a483b8833-800wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made/making:
Turkey
Gravy
2 different white cheesy sauces
Homemade mayo
Crab dip
Dill dip
Pumpkin pie
Mashed or roasted sweet potatoes (haven't decided yet)

Other things being made:
Main of ham, lasagna, and rice crispy coated chicken pieces
Sides of mashed potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas, stuffing, scalloped corn, pea salad, salami/cheese/crackers, white yeast rolls, oatmeal bread, baked beans, and beets.
Dessert of lemon pie, mint pie, seafoam salad (lime jello, cool whip, pineapple, and marshmallow pieces), and brownies with black walnuts.

I'm going to bed now to wake up in hopefully future bliss. The only thing I'm sad about is I didn't get my ass around to making cherry pie, but I wasn't real happy with how my pie dough for the pumpkin pies came out, so maybe it's better I try later or for Christmas.

>> No.4981045

POSTING IN AN EPIC STICKY

>> No.4981051

IN

>> No.4981073
File: 76 KB, 500x566, HHNNNNGGHHH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all this glorious meat
>anons enjoying themselves and preparing to feast without giving a fuck
>vegfags crying in a corner and staying out of the thread
What a perfect, beautiful thread.

Happy Thanksgiving /ck/.

>> No.4981080

Turkey with stuffing and gravy and cranberry sauce
Oven roasted ham with a pineapple/guava glaze
Mashed potatoes
Potato Salad
Broccoli Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Baked Yams
Baked Beans
Sushi
Fried noodles
A bunch of other shit my other family members will likely bring over

Dessert:

Pumpkin cheesecake
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Crunch
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Brownies

I'm looking forward to the ensuing food coma

>> No.4981090

>I posted in this thread before it was sticky

>> No.4981103

>>4981090
do you feel proud
go prep your turkey

>> No.4981104

Official Thread Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBq8geuJk0

>> No.4981121 [DELETED] 

One Vegan Chipotle burrito with delicious new Sofritas!

>> No.4981129

I'm doing my Fakesgiving on friday, i have two sweetpotato pies in the oven rightnow and then tomorrow i will bake a boston cream pie and two double layer pumpkin cheesecakes ..

On themenu for fakesgiving is HAM (We dont do turkey except when we get one for free we deep fry) my recipe is world renowned,
sweet potatoes with marshmellows (from scratch of course)
Mashed potatoes (loaded as fuck)
serious gravy
baked stuffing with carrots celery, and craisens!
green beans with bacon
ROLLS
That's it besides the pies. I do everything myself

>> No.4981160

we're having the standard shit (turkey, duck, mashed taters, cross-family gravy competition, grandma's dinner rolls, green beans with prosciutto, corn & pine nuts, cranberry sauce yadda yadda) but i just stayed up until now getting drunk (there's no other way to do it) and making my contribution and favorite thing to bring to the table: the corn crepes. 20 hand made corn crepes rolled and filled with pureed yam and ricotta cheese, topped with parmesan, gently baked.

>> No.4981188

I'm going to a pot-luck hosted by a friend. I know he's an awesome cook, and he already told me there'll be a classic bird with plenty of andouille stuffing (by the hammer of the gods I love andouille sausage), and of course there'll be heaps of other food.

I'm bringing a sweet potato and pineapple casserole topped with marshmallows, peanuts, coconut, and bacon, as well as a berry salad with a touch of honey and mint. I should've picked up some whipped cream to go with the berries. Oh well, maybe there'll be some at the party.

Super-excited about that casserole. Boiled the sweet potatoes with the pineapple, cinnamon sticks, and cloves and mashed 'em up with butter, cream, and brown sugar. They taste amazing. Just gotta pop the whole shebang into the oven for half an hour before heading over to his place, just a few blocks away.

>> No.4981216
File: 2.33 MB, 3456x2592, cscn0541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As an expat living in Taiwan, I have found it essentially impossible to get turkey here, and besides, they would be too large for a single person. So, here's my substitute.

>> No.4981227

>>4981216
The fuck is that. And shouldn't you be able to get a chicken easily enough?

>> No.4981256

>>4981227
Malaysian night heron, Gorsachius melanolophus. Them's good eatin'. Who the hell does chicken on Thanksgiving?!?

>> No.4981293

>>4981256

Who the hell does Malaysian night heron?

>> No.4981298

>>4981293
One point seven billion screamin' Chinamen.

>> No.4981344 [DELETED] 

>>4979496
Rye. I sadly am stuck with sourdough :(

>> No.4981345 [DELETED] 

>>4980891
>>4981121
>Chipotle
HIVEMIND UNITE

>> No.4981354

turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
cranberry sauce
rolls
green stuff
dressing
green bean casserole

We actually had it on Tuesday due to everyone but me having a job.

>> No.4981357

My aunt and her boyfriend used to make fried turkey. They sold their fryer. Then they made smoked turkey. Then they sold their smoker.
We're back to baked turkey which I don't like.

Normal stuff though. Mac and cheese, stuffing, and I get all the vegetables they stuff the turkey with like carrots, onions, celery. They keep it every year and give it to me to take home. My aunt's hot.

>> No.4981358

Traditional:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

>> No.4981360

>>4981345
OMFG! How can you eat that Chipolte shit when you could get a glorious McRib!!??!?!?

>> No.4981376

Every Christmas we have seafood.
Thanksgiving is regular crap like fried chicken and ketchup sandwiches.

>> No.4981391

We had Thanksgiving early this year, so I am skipping the turkey today and having a bowl of the chili I started on Monday.

Just getting started on the cornbread now.

Yes, I'm from Texas!

>> No.4981394 [DELETED] 

>>4981360
Who says I can't literally walk down the street and get both?

>> No.4981427
File: 1.68 MB, 3264x1952, IMAG2614.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4981429

>>4981427

>bbq queen
>cooking turkey in oven

I always knew you were a fake

>> No.4981450
File: 399 KB, 907x678, 100_5934.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm making the turkey, gravy, and stuffing this year.

I know mom is making a ham and probably packaged rolls. I have no idea if my older sister is bringing anything but I suspect not cause she didn't last year.

Also made a pie to take to a friend's house later

>> No.4981463
File: 47 KB, 400x266, b1765.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No one invited me over for Thanksgiving. I made hints that I wanted to attend a few friend's and family member's, along with hinting I'd bring a dish, so I'll be eating this. Three years in a row now, looking the same for Christmas as well.

I should kill myself.

>> No.4981464

>>4981450
my sister is a fucking cunt too

>> No.4981471

I am making homemade rolls to bring to my fiancee's family's house. I feel like I'm not contributing much, though.

B-but rolls are important, right anons? And so many people just do storebought, r-right?

>> No.4981473

>>4981471
I'm baking rolls from scratch as well. I am also providing soda and alcohol.

This is my second time baking bread ever, store bought is my back up plan if they come out completely deflated.

My brother is smoking the turkey and I'm sure my Dad is baking the pies and corn pudding.

>> No.4981477

>TURKEY of course! Mom made one, fried. Grandma made another, baked.
>Mom's well known sweet potatoes with cinnamon, sugar, marshmallows and lord knows what else
>Home made mac n cheese
>cranberry sauce. Fuck chunky cranberry sauce.
>Broccoli
>carrots
>Generic vegetable and ranch dressing dip platter
>cookies
>apple pie
>pumpkin pie
>sweet potato pie
>blackberry cobbler
>A small ham
>okra
>chopped pineapple
>Grandma's special slurry of mixed fruit frozen in fruit punch then thawed to make delicious and fruity slush

They say that my stomach grew three sizes more that day...

>> No.4981478
File: 474 KB, 1100x825, DSC02701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my contributions for today are the stuffing, cheddar biscuits, a yogurt dipping sauce for the sweet potato latkes and roasted caramelized carrots

>> No.4981480

>>4981463
aw i'm sorry bro i'd invite you over but i live thousands of miles away in a country that doesn't celebrate thanksgiving
keep your head up one day you'll find somebody who appreciates you

>> No.4981483

Working overtime today, but supposedly theyre catering lunch for us. Dinner will likely be scotch and ramen.

Im worried they're catering Golden Coral.

>> No.4981481

>>4981090
>nope.jpeg

>> No.4981482

>>4981478
for the record, thats:
challah bread
turkey sausage
persimmons
leeks, celery, shallots, sage, thyme, garlic, egg, chicken stock, butter, salt, pepper.

>> No.4981489

>>4981427
>braising a turkey

nigga what

>> No.4981491
File: 8 KB, 195x209, 1349276833352.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981480
Thanks. Cheered me up a bit.

>> No.4981498

is thanksgiving on thursday or friday?

if thursday i had steak and chips and steamed veggies

if friday im not sure yet

>> No.4981501

Prime rib, whipped potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, yorkshire pudding, sweet potato pie, and brown butter chocolate chip candy cane cookies

>> No.4981502

>>4981463
Do it now. Then they'll be sorry.
Also sage and filtered for being an attention whoring fag.

>> No.4981508

Why are we all on /ck/ pretending we have shit to do for Thanksgiving? This isn't /soc/.

>> No.4981509

>>4981491
no problem, been in the same situation many times, just because you're alone doesn't mean you have to have a bad time, i usually try to make it through a whole tv series and barely notice being alone

>> No.4981510

>>4981502
you could cut your dried out turkey with that edge

>> No.4981535 [DELETED] 

>>4981491
Faggot.

>> No.4981548

>>4978914
Roast potatoes onions and carrots topped with chicken breast
baked macaroni and cheese
crescent rolls
lots of liquor

>> No.4981550
File: 134 KB, 773x222, hgfds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

nice to see 4chan never change

>> No.4981553

>>4981463
Fuck it dude, not the end of the world.

I'm in the same boat, but I don't really mind, I hate my family anyway.

>> No.4981578
File: 101 KB, 640x425, DSC_0912.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mine does not look like this yet, but I am going to try to cook the bird in the outdoor grill.

Touch of mesquite chips.

Lets see how this goes...

>> No.4981579

>thanking amerifats for slaughtering millions of indigenous people of the united states
>making it a sticky

>> No.4981585

My family's usually very standard bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce but this year they're changing it up I hear. At least being a little less straightforward when it comes to the sides and finger foods throughout the day. All I remember is crab being involved.

On Saturday a group of my from-out-of-town
chefy friends are throwing a gettogether. Basically $10 and a bottle of wine or beer or liquor. I went two years ago and had some good shit. I'm going to gain so much weight over the next five days.

>> No.4981589
File: 82 KB, 803x636, 1385109442780.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chinese food we ordered yesterday for today.

>> No.4981597

First Casualty of Thanksgiving:
Dog knocks prepped stuffing off counter and eats half of it while we're all in the family room drinking coffee and mimosas.
Dog is now out on patio. Bad, bad doge.
Thankfully, I have enough ingredients to make more.

>> No.4981615
File: 294 KB, 480x480, doge top kek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981597
dat doge

>> No.4981627

>>4981498
Republicans have Thanksgiving on Thursday, Democrats have Thanksgiving on Friday. Oh, wait, that's voting. Anyway.

>> No.4981642

>>4981578
Bbq cooking is hotter and less controlled than an oven.

Be careful.

>> No.4981669

>>4981579
>2013
>using racist terms
>distorting facts and history
>being a whiny babby

>> No.4981693

-Deep fried turkey that we injected with Garlic and herb marinade last night
-Pumpkin pie with candied walnuts on top
-other than that, all the basics

>> No.4981698

>>4979004
Thanksgiving with my parents
>Dad simply thaws turkey and throws it in the oven with nothing else so it's as dry as sawdust
>Ham is done the same way and it's dry
>Try every year to get my dad to do something different like brining and seasoning the turkey
>Says it's perfectly fine and I'm just using gimmicks that don't do anything
>Everyone always takes one small chunk of turkey in my family and that's it
>Rest of it sits in the fridge forever until it gets thrown away

This happens every year

>> No.4981703

>>4980813
*hug* If you lived near me, I would cook for you.

>> No.4981708

I'm not actually a good cook, and no one really wants to go to the work of actually cooking a turkey and take an entire day of work off to slave in the kitchen.

I am sory /ck/ I have failed you.

>> No.4981713

We had a glorious turkey and traditional fixins thanksgiving back on sunday, the best scheduling day to have the younger relations, sister & her family and such. Today, since no-one wants more turkey, a whole tenderloin has been pressed into service. Last I heard there was still debate between whole-roasting and making delicious steaks. Either way there are some twice-baked potatoes, steamed veg- probably broccoli- and home-made bread and pie and cheesecake.

It's going to be lovely and peaceful and decadent and lack screaming children entirely.

>> No.4981753

>>4978914
normal food, we dont celebrate thanks giving over here

>> No.4981755
File: 231 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20131128_110243_zps390ad435.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

muh triple citrus bourbon smoked turkey

>> No.4981769

>>4978914
I love my mom but fuck is she nuts. She is supposed to be in the hospital for her MS treatment, but she apparently left yesterday and is planning out thanksgiving. She wants me to come over at noon, so lets see how this goes...

Quote from fb

" we have plenty of food 17lb turky stuffing sweet taters mmmmm 2 pies apple and pumpkin 2 loaves homemade bread broccoli in cheese sauce theres more just cant list it all"

I'm just glad she is having fun and can still go do stuff like this

>> No.4981773

>>4981769
God bless your mom.

>> No.4981774
File: 39 KB, 640x384, IMAG3188.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Happy Thanksgiving, /ck/!!

>> No.4981779
File: 100 KB, 600x400, CAKE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Made a Red Velvet Cheesecake....Cake. Shit is awesome. As for the rest of the menu Green Bean Casserole, Chicken and Dumplins, Turkey, Ham, Sweet Potato Casserole, Corn Casserole, Gibblet Gravy and Stuffing.

>> No.4981787
File: 153 KB, 780x1107, 1385513738909.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any non-americans celebrating thanksgiving?

I've heard some people do it for fun.

>> No.4981792

Frozen chicken tenders and boxed stuffing.
I'm actually happy this year. For the last two thanksgivings I lived alone and spent the day in my bedroom by myself feeling bad. This year my sister lives with me and I have a lot of money, so I was able to stock up on good beer, wine, cheese and bread.

God bless America, that's what this day is really all about. Celebrating and recognizing the opportunities you've been afforded by your own hard work and perseverance. I never really appreciated Thanksgiving until I was a grown man with his own place and no one to do anything for me.

If you're an adult child who lives your parents, you really don't know a thing about gratitude.

>> No.4981796

>>4981597
>owning a dog
>not being the scum of the earth
pick one

>> No.4981802

>>4981773

She's dealt with a lot. She's awesome

>> No.4981803

Organic, free range turkey w/ assortment of herbs and acids (Yes, organic makes a fucking difference. This is the only organic shit I'll splooge on.)
Ham
Mashed taters
Gravy
Stuffing
Cranberry sawce
Corn and jalepenos
Rolls
Brussel sprouts
Brown sugar crusted yams
Wine
More wine
Assortment of pies brought by family

Eat or die.

>> No.4981809

Ugh we don't have enough butter ;_;

>> No.4981815

>>4981578
no mesquite I know its late but fuck mang never mesquite for turkey

>> No.4981822

>>4981216

Sorry m8, I spent last Thanksgiving and Christmas in Taipei. I know it sucks.

I love the country but after a year I'm glad to be back in the West

>> No.4981829

I'm making a creole seasoned turkey, greenbean casserole completely from scratch including the cream of mushroom soup, brussel sprouts with bacon, homemade yeast rolls, and 2 pies. Oh and candied yams.

>> No.4981831

>>4981796
Smells like crazy cat lady in here.

>> No.4981852
File: 184 KB, 600x340, Crazy-Amy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981831

>> No.4981853
File: 89 KB, 400x377, frostedbutts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4979526
>Chewy brown sugar cookies
Post pics please

>> No.4981855

I just came here to say happy Thanksgiving everyone!
We are bringing: sweet potato rolls, Mac 'in Cheese, and chocolate cupcakes because why not.

>> No.4981859

>>4981809

Sorry tiny Tim, maybe uncle Ebenezer will come through

>> No.4981861

>>4979099
>>Green bean casserole
Is this with canned or fresh green beans?

>> No.4981863

>>4981861

CANNED

>canned French's onion rings
>canned beans
>canned soup
>canned water
>canned salt
>canned everything

>> No.4981871

Just the usual Thanksgiving fare. A turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn casserole, mashed potatoes. Pumpkin cheesecake and apple crisp for dessert. My mom put me in charge of bringing a vegetable. I was on the verge of being offended that this was all she thought I was capable of, but then I remembered that I'm lazy and this is the perfect task for me.

If you'll excuse me, I have some carrots to boil.

>> No.4981873

Lets see those turkeys

>> No.4981875

>>4980942
She burned the turkey and he blamed her, she blamed him for not reminding her.

Holidays are breaking points, I'm happy I got all the fighting with my family out over the course of the month, we've been chipper all week.

>> No.4981876

>>4981852
pls no

>> No.4981878
File: 54 KB, 616x356, buttholebread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

butthole bread

>> No.4981879

>>4981871
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/glazed-carrots-recipe/index.html ?

>> No.4981882

Turkey is in the oven, stock has been on the stove since 10, twice baked potatoes are prepped as well as the stuffing , sweet potatoes, pies, and all the other shit

>> No.4981885
File: 95 KB, 640x480, 2013-11-28 12.13.06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

;_;

>> No.4981891

Well, this morning I volunteered at the Salvation Army serving food. While I was there, I sampled a plate of what we were serving. Turkey was surprisingly juicy, but the mashed potatoes had no flavor and the stuffing was lifeless as lifeless could be. The corn was corn. I'm not here to complain about food I gave out, though. I'm happy that the less fortunate were able to eat today, so it doesn't really matter.

My turkey's going in the oven around 2-3 PM. I've already made some chorizo sausage stuffing, which I'm going to have to restrain myself from eating too much of before dinner, it's just that good. Also cooking some corn on the cob, green beans, and mashed potatoes with gravy as per tradition.

Spending Turkey Day with my mom and stepdad. They're such wonderful people, I'm happy to be with them.

>> No.4981894

>>4980903
jew detected?

>> No.4981904

>>4979496
Corn Bread motherfucker

>> No.4981907
File: 813 KB, 2481x1860, 1381269709170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Turkey, ham, pasta, mashed potatoes and gravy, casserole, cranberry sawce, pie..

pic unrelated.. its what i'd rather have.

>> No.4981920

im in charge of the turkey this year
got way too drunk last night so we will be eating it kinda late
anyway 3 days ago i put the bird in a brine of:
gal apple cider
1 1/4 cup salt and brown sugar
12 cloves crushed garlic
5 quartered oranges
dash of ground sage and pepper flakes
loaded it up in a roasting pan breast down and oiled it up added dark beer to bottom of pan for moisture
gonna flip it over in about 20 mins to finish
fucker smelled so good raw

>> No.4981921
File: 2.30 MB, 3264x1968, 20131128_113543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981578
Two hours in.

>> No.4981925

>>4981921
when 1 hr till done brush that nigger with melted butter

>> No.4981934
File: 32 KB, 788x444, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Welp I can't go out of town since I work on friday, so no fantastic family cooking for me.
BUT I'm no stranger to the stovetop, so I think I did a pretty good job on my one-man-meal.

>> No.4981944

>>4980933
lmao

>> No.4981948

>>4980942
she caught him stuffing the turkey?

>> No.4981951

>>4981755
next time you do this try stuffing half an orange under the skin to give it tits

>> No.4981957
File: 15 KB, 238x279, 1358101519438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4978914
>turkey is done
>mum pulls out turkey from oven
>immediately starts carving the turkey
>she says, "oh, its completely dry"

>> No.4981961

>>4981957
BUST OUT THE GRAVY
MIX INTO THE MASHED POTATOES
Save the bird!!!

>> No.4981964

> go home for Thanksgiving a few years ago
> mom making turkey
> put frozen bird straight from package in Pyrex dish with foil over
> no seasoning of any kind (not even salt/pepper) -- JUST raw gobbler
> cooks for several hours
> cutting it to serve
> realize she forgot to remove plastic bag full of guts from the inside
> everyone eats it anyway except me
> everyone gets violently ill

Be lucky you're family isn't completely fucking retard

>> No.4981965
File: 147 KB, 350x350, cate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

excellent chinese food, vintage TV and last but not least,
wacky tobaccy.

I even got a turkey and stuffing shelf stable meal for later when the feels kick in after logging on FaceBook.
I have more things to cook too.

>> No.4981972

>>4981879
I might actually try this if I'm brave enough to go out to the store. All I'd need is the ginger ale. Actually, I could probably just get it from the gas station and avoid the panicked last-minute shoppers altogether.

Thanks, dude!

>> No.4981977

Tell me what you think of my family's potato salad recipe:
>sauce is maybe 60/40 sour cream:mayo
>sliced hard boiled eggs
>perdayders, of course
>chives/green onion/whatever the fuck you want to call them
>salt n pepa
>no mustard
>seriously, no mustard

>> No.4981987

Help, I need quick replies please:

I made the turkey this year
First time cooking it
Herb butter on top, salt and pepper seasoning, simple shit
14.50lbs
Been in the oven for 2 hrs and 15mins
Checked it after the timer went on, it already looks done, but I remember online/videos I watched it said it should take about 3hrs-3hrs and 30mins
Checked with a thermomiter it said 180-190 inside on the thickest part of the thigh

Should I take it out and let it rest and then eat it? I don't want to over cook it or under cook it.

Should I turn down the oven heat and cook it for about other 30mins then let it rest?

>> No.4981994

>>4981957
>tfw my mom's turkey is always dry
>tfw she's proud of it anyway
>tfw I have to take a sip of water after every bite

I love you mom, but god dang.

>> No.4982003

>>4981994
My mom does this every year.

Oh god. In a few hours I'm going to have to see how it turns out this year. Halp

>> No.4982008

Turkey's been in there for an hour, barely any juice has come out. I just basted it with orange juice and wine. SHould I be concerned?

>> No.4982012
File: 52 KB, 1081x642, turkey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981987
This is what it looks like.

I cut it open and it wasn't pink, and it seems a tad dry. I had a bite of it to and it tasted fine. I'm still a bit worried though. I'm feeding this to all my friends so I don't want it to be underdone..

>> No.4982015

>>4982012
>>4982012
did you not cook it breast down?

>> No.4982026

>>4982008
How big is your bird and what temp is your oven?

>> No.4982028

>>4982015
I mean.. I didn't know I had to?

I folded under the wings and then cooked it on a bed of celery and onion. The pan was a little smaller than I thought but it was the biggest I had.

>> No.4982029

>>4982012
looks fine to me, dude

>> No.4982032

>>4982026
13 pounds at 355

>> No.4982038
File: 1.69 MB, 1952x3264, IMAG2616.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

THERE'S YOUR KING IN BACKGROUND

>> No.4982041

>>4982038
First vegetables I've ever seen you post.

>> No.4982042
File: 207 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20131128_134434_zpsb05ee2f9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981755

still smokein'

>> No.4982043

>>4982028
cooking it with the breast down allows juices to flow down and accumulate in the breast, making the bird juicy. also it looks like you had your oven set too high. low and slow is the golden rule for roasts.

>> No.4982044

>>4982028
you should always start it breast side down at least. Helps keep the breasts moist from the fat that drips down over the bird

>> No.4982047

>>4982012
Looks good. If it's dry, that means it either lost too much moisture from being thawed, or it was overcooked. It's best to do roasts like this, that aren't cooked until they're fall-apart tender, with a thermometer. This way, you can stop cooking it at the proper time.

Also, if you tasted a piece as soon as it came out of the oven, it might've just lost juices from being cut while hot. Let it rest, and it should be a bit juicier.

>> No.4982054

>>4981951

I will not endeavour any further of your blasphemy

>> No.4982061

>participating in meaningless rituals just because of MUH TRADITION AND FAMILY VALUES

I feel bad for you and your empty lives. if you like turkey so much, why didn't you eat it last month? what's the point of thanksgiving? How can you justify participating in something that has virtually no meaning or reason for being?

>> No.4982066

>>4982061
Mmm.. I guess 2/10
Pretty good attempt for the most part, but a little obvious.

>> No.4982069

>>4982061
I just wish I had heard this before I started cooking.

Maybe you can still help me though. What should I do with this half cooked bird?

>> No.4982070

A big roast with parsnips and onions and turnips, huge slabs of ham with cloves and cherries and pineapple, homemade gravy and fruit salad and stuffing and mashed potatoes and bunch of cheap wine to get smashed after.

>> No.4982076

>>4982012
Trust your thermometer. 180 breast, 160 thigh.

>> No.4982077

>>4982076
oops - 160 breast, 180 thigh.

Maybe I should have a drink?

>> No.4982089

>>4981957
How does one keep a turkey moist, besides constant basing of course.

>> No.4982108

It's just my sister and my mom this year. We're the only ones who decided to come home this year. Sucks that the rest of my family that could come is so superficial that they went to those "Pre-Black Friday" sales. Although dinner without their presence is probably for the best.
>Cornish Hens
>Sweet Potato Casserole
>Macaroni & Cheese (Courtesy of >>4978559)
>Corn
>Squash
>Green Beans
>Buttered Rolls
>Pumpkin Pie

>> No.4982118

>>4978914
Not sure. My dad is preparing the feast. I do know that I will stuff myself with pickled herring, cheese, and sausage until the meal is ready though.

>> No.4982120

Hey so how many of you (if any) hunt your own turkey for thanksgiving? Because I don't. I go to the store and buy a small frozen turkey breast, instant stuffing, frozen peas, and canned gravy, cook it myself and eat alone in my apartment.

>> No.4982121
File: 1.27 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We're making a glorious college feast.

-bacon wrapped turkey+beer-infused gravy
-loaded mashed potatoes
-pumpkin pie
-buffalo turkey dip
-sweet potatoes
-green beans in garlic
-mezzaluna Gorgonzola tortillinis
-vegan macaroons
-gourmet sodas (including Virgil's root beer in a keg)
-and surprise Chinese food

This is a four-dorm feast and some of our guests' first thanksgiving. We don't have enough table space so we'll be eating on the floor in front of the dorm fireplace.

Classy as fuck.

>> No.4982123

>>4982121
What kind of dorm has a fireplace?

>> No.4982124
File: 307 KB, 840x630, 46Mv6JE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

mmm

>> No.4982125

>>4982123
The rich kid ones

>> No.4982126

>>4982124
w...what the fuck?

why

>> No.4982128

>>4982123
The 21+ converted loft dorms at a goddamn art university.

The housing isn't too expensive, prolly cuz we have 4 people in one room.

>> No.4982129
File: 297 KB, 840x630, 0e9Zq9f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982124

i also have sides

>> No.4982134
File: 34 KB, 652x551, despair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982129
that's coolwhip... in the cocktail sauce, isn't it....

>> No.4982135
File: 189 KB, 840x630, w2uQZy3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982129

>> No.4982137
File: 189 KB, 840x630, ZWjPBjp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982134

its all about the presentation

>> No.4982141

>>4982137
C'mon there's two of you there?

>> No.4982144

>>4982141
Its one person, his diameter is just massive

>> No.4982148
File: 235 KB, 840x630, xtcGkKg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982141

>> No.4982153

>>4982148
What the actual fuck.

>> No.4982157
File: 75 KB, 278x173, 1329853445585.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981871
>sitting on couch, about to go out and get ginger ale for glazed carrots
>fire alarm in apartment building goes off
>stand outside in cold while an alarming amount of emergency vehicles show up
>turns out there was no actual fire
>still really shaky
>mfw I thought my cat was gonna burn to death

>> No.4982159
File: 56 KB, 960x720, idgi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982148
>>4982137
>>4982135
>>4982129
>>4982124
I don't get it.

>> No.4982161
File: 10 KB, 200x200, ScruffySecond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982148
wtf is in the squirt bottles

>>4982153

>> No.4982163

>>4982161
Probably gravy.

>> No.4982165
File: 44 KB, 600x450, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982161

>> No.4982166
File: 61 KB, 600x450, 03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982165

>> No.4982167
File: 78 KB, 600x450, 11_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982166
anyone up for dessert?

>> No.4982169

>>4982165
>>4982163
I hate it when I'm right.

>> No.4982173

>>4982166
OK - so explain please?

Blue turkey, spray gravy, and carmel corn in a watermelon.

Just lolrandum?

>> No.4982177
File: 7 KB, 312x321, 1382908406751.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw my family never makes mashed potatoes
>tfw all i want is mashed potatoes and gravy at least once

>> No.4982175

>>4982038

you did good bb

>> No.4982179
File: 17 KB, 395x405, absolutely disgusting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982124
>>4982129
>>4982135
>>4982137
>>4982148
>>4982165
>>4982166
>>4982167

someone mind explaining what the FUCK is going on?

>> No.4982183
File: 148 KB, 486x280, 1367392657623.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My roommates and I present: Most Pleb Thanksgiving v. 1.0:

>turkey sandwiches (thick sliced, from the deli counter
>mashed potatoes from box
>gravy from packet
>green bean casserole
>pecan pie from safeway
Will post pic of spread later

>> No.4982184

>>4982166
is this some kinda veterans club?
or is this some kinda bent club
also i know thats you in the front with your big ole grin :3

>> No.4982191

>>4982184
You have it all wrong, that isn't me, m8. See for yourself:

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/11/21/its-male-chef-x-food-republic-thanksgiving#!slide=1

>> No.4982190
File: 235 KB, 908x678, shame.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

h-hold me

>> No.4982193

Turkey breast just stuck in the oven on a roasting pan and left to cook
Kings' Hawaiian rolls put in the oven until crispier
Pepperidge Farm stuffing with onions and an apple added
Homemade mashed potatoes (honesty not enough butter but entirely from scratch)
Frozen peas and carrots
Pumpkin pie for later

It was alright, about par with other Thanksgivings. I did a lot of the preparation, though, and because I washed my hands a lot they're really dried out. Thank goodness for lotion.

>> No.4982194

>>4978914
>What's for thanksgiving dinner?

Ramen

>> No.4982201

>>4982191
I'm scared.

>> No.4982199

I'm whippin' up the green bean casserole as we speak! My favorite part of Thanksgiving.

We're also deep frying our Turkey (we've gotten really good at this over the years).

Also having the standard other side dishes:

mashed potatoes
corn pudding
sweet potato casserole
cranberry from the can
home made rolls
stuffing!

>> No.4982203

>>4982193
Oh and jellied cranberry sauce, the only thing Americans still serve that looks like those weird jellies they put in food ads last century.

>> No.4982205

>>4982201
the rest of his tumblr is just as repulsive.

http://malechef.tumblr.com/

>> No.4982207

My dad is just out of surgery, so I handled cooking. Soup, salad, quiche, carbonara, stuffed turkey. Really, I just feel good to have helped out my dad.

>> No.4982215
File: 892 KB, 500x206, there_there.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982190

>> No.4982216

Turkey (brined in water with salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, pepper, rosemary and bay leaves). Stuffing with onion and celery, homemade turkey broth and the liver. Mashed potatoes with garlic, rosemary, thyme and sage.

>> No.4982223
File: 1 KB, 20x20, doge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey guys, just wondering how i could doctor up a can of cranberry sauce to be more tasty? i have apples and pears, but im not sure what to do.

any help please?

>> No.4982233

MOMS SPAGHETTI

>> No.4982234

>>4982223
>jellied sauce
Slice and serve as is

>whole fruit sauce
Stir in some orange zest.

>> No.4982237

>>4982223
Add scotch

>> No.4982244

>>4982223
rest your balls in the sauce

>> No.4982251
File: 11 KB, 192x245, worry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shit, do I cook the green beans before or after I cut them?

also, am I the only one ITT?

>> No.4982260

>>4982251
Cut while cooking, just to be safe.

>> No.4982261

>>4978914
Ramen lightly salted with my tears.

>> No.4982268

What do I use the neck for?

>> No.4982272

>>4982268
Roast it separately and make turkey broth with celery tops, carrots, onions and onion skin.

>> No.4982273

>>4982268
Broth, if I recall correctly.

>>4982260
flesh wounds AND steam burns! bonus!

>> No.4982275
File: 1.62 MB, 260x208, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>dog sneezes on the cooked cheddar potatoes while being carried

>> No.4982277

Maybe it's the spiked cider and hfcs fumes talking, but you're a lot more pleasant to be around than my family, /ck/.

>>4982275
Saint bernard or some other drooly breed? If not, it never happened.

>> No.4982281

>>4982277
3 month old lab

>> No.4982284

Beans are done. Time for mushroom soup.

>>4982281
Did the mother-in-law or anyone important see?

>> No.4982286
File: 169 KB, 480x270, imouto intensifies.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982284
just me in the kitchen and my sister wasn't even paying attention as she carried the little dude around. i guess it's fine.

>> No.4982290
File: 1.71 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982128
The fucking turkey.

It's brined, bacon in and on the skin, onions and garlic and European butter and celery, in beer. We figured it would be fitting for a college turkey.

>> No.4982292

>>4982286
Tell no one.

>http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/classic-green-bean-casserole-24099
I don't have a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish, Campbell's.

>> No.4982293
File: 31 KB, 250x375, DD5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

32oz prime rib with a big baked potato from some old fashioned steakhouse in vegas. And an old fashioned to wash it down. And a grasshoper or peice of pecan pie for desert, not sure which yet.

daymn it feels good to use my mad men time machine.

>> No.4982296

Mom had to leave to pick someone up, leaving me to tend the Turkey. She told me to baste it once around 2:00. I've now basted it 4 times and layered butter over the top. I will not eat another one of here dry turkeys this year.

>> No.4982298

>>4982190
Happy Thanksgiving Bro

>> No.4982299
File: 31 KB, 410x308, 2c881.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chinese food. Since my family's Chinese so it all be homecooked.

>> No.4982304
File: 182 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-28-13 at 2.57 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982299
Noice.

>can't measure without making a mess
Redesign your onion cans, Campbell's.

>> No.4982307

Mom's got a sinus infection so its officially Dadsgiving this year. He doesn't want me to help much other than googling things for him but he's handling it well.

Turkey with cornbread and apple stuffing, turkey gravy from the drippins, mashed potatoes, green beans, and balsamic vinegar brusselsprouts

>> No.4982311
File: 8 KB, 150x112, braderunna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982299

>you want egg rollt?

>Phone numba?

>Be about 15-20 minute.

I think your family has waited on me before.

>> No.4982312
File: 64 KB, 400x518, 1384230916797.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982304
show that can who's boss bro

>> No.4982319
File: 37 KB, 426x341, 9c0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Your turn Anon. What are you thankful for?

>> No.4982320

>>4982296
Going for my 5th baste now. Is it even possible to baste too much?

>> No.4982321

>>4982319
>this dry ass turkey apparently

>> No.4982322

>>4982296
Mom cooks it in foil until about 30 min's left, which is only for colour. It's always good.

>> No.4982326
File: 23 KB, 640x360, nathan explosion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982320
>start slicing the turkey open
>bursts in baste

Oh man that's brutal.

>> No.4982327

>>4982312
Thanks.

>>4982319
My family. Then also say my car or beer for laughs.

Also, do I wanna chuck the can o' cran into the fridge before I open and slice it?

>> No.4982333

>>4982326
Good. I want my entire turkey to melt into a delicous meat paste.

>> No.4982337
File: 1.87 MB, 3264x1968, 20131128_160742.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981921
Success it appears.

Roux time.

>> No.4982349

fuck fuck fuck broken thermometer
how do I know if turkey is done?

>> No.4982353
File: 80 KB, 582x544, 1377001489626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982349
stick yer hed in ther

or a knife i suppose, if you can do that

>> No.4982354

>>4982349
juice runs clear
leg turns easy

>> No.4982358
File: 157 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-28-13 at 3.22 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who else blood loss here?

>> No.4982369
File: 2.85 MB, 445x247, 1370761584717.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982358

>> No.4982383

What temperature should I heat up my sammiches at? It's just bread and Turkey, I wanna do like they do at subway.

>> No.4982389

Thanksgiving Anti-Thanksgiving Meal with friends. I cooked.
>Venison, both steaks and burger
>green beans, just green beans, not in that horrid hot dish
>real from-scratch creamed corn
>from scratch rolls/biscuits (kinda tedious to make, I think)
>lettuce salad with tomato, dressed with olive oil and tarragon vinegar
>dessert: what everybody brought, mostly pies of various kinds
>beer from August Schell, various kinds.
It was great.

>> No.4982414

>>4982311

nah man you ain't getting your hands on any of this authentic shit.

>it was delicious, now waiting on pie that uncle picked up from some pretty nice pie shop in manhattan

>> No.4982436
File: 29 KB, 300x187, barbeque-turkey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My cousin works at a local BBQ restaurant as the main cook/smoker and smoked us a glorious turkey rubbed in their bbq spice blend. Today he sliced it up like brisket, covered it in their homemade bbq sauce and finished it in the oven for a little while.

Sides were smoked ham, cornbread dressing, mac and cheese, sweet potato pie, chili con carne, purple hull peas, steamed broccoli, bacon wrapped asparagus, and bread.

Dessert was pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and beer.

>> No.4982445

Currently in the leukemia ward. Finished a light Thanksgiving dinner with my old man.

It's depressing but I am trying to stay positive.

>> No.4982451

>>4981358
>as god as my witness
>as

WHY ARE COMMENTS DISABLED WHY

>> No.4982455

>>4982445
Hang in there anon.

>> No.4982460

>>4982455
Thanks, mate. Counting my blessings he is in good spirits. I hope everyone is cherishing the time they have with their families.

>> No.4982465

>>4981698
best post in the thread

i feel you buddy. someday you'll be in charge of tday and then they'll have to look the shit from your bootheels and beg forgiveness.

>> No.4982466
File: 182 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-28-13 at 4.17 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982183
Here it is in all its glory.

>> No.4982488

>>4982466
at least you have people to share it with

>> No.4982494

>>4982061
>How can you justify participating in something that has virtually no meaning or reason for being?
Nobody gives a fuck whether or not anything has or lacks meaning. Try doing things you enjoy doing. I cook a turkey whenever the fuck I want. Today we didn't do turkey but we did tons of festive shit because why the fuck not? That acorn squash soup came out fucking nice.

>> No.4982499
File: 190 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-28-13 at 4.37 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982488
Yes, and I'm thankful for that. Here's one of them chugging gravy out of a goblet.

>> No.4982500

>>4982089
honestly not overcooking it is 99.9999% of it. resting it for 20 min before you carve helps too.

an alternative to constantly basting i hear is to put a cheesecloth over that shit so it constantly wicks it juices over it, but i've never done that bullshit
]

>> No.4982501

Dry brine turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Baked Beans
Broccoli Casserole
Squash Casserole
Bacon Wrapped Smokies
Two Cheese Balls
Pasta Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Banana Pudding
Pecan Pie
Rolls

>> No.4982506
File: 229 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-28-13 at 4.37 PM #2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982499
And a shittier pic of the spread. Would post pies later, but you're not missing much. Instead I'll enjoy some painkillers for my finger and watch netflix.

Happy Thanksgiving, /ck/.

>> No.4982505

>>4982499
aw :3

>> No.4982509

>>4982505
Think he's cute? He's single. Very single. Please take him off my hands.

>> No.4982511

>>4982148
>>4982166

How are so many of people willing participants in this

>> No.4982514

>>4982509
nah he looks dirty

>> No.4982519
File: 162 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20131128_152212_zps23db7257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981755

mother of god////fuck /ck>>do wat

>> No.4982528

>>4982519
Do you live in California or west coast? Why haven't you eaten your turkey yet? Finish that shit and get on with it.

>> No.4982533

>>4982528
California is part of the west coast.
Dumb fuck.

>> No.4982536

>>4982383
holy shit how are you so terrified of such a minor decision

350-500 range

>> No.4982539

My thanksgiving was fucking terrible. Just like every year. I would love to sit in the Vietnamese place I always go and have a quiet meal than deal with screaming alcoholics and shitty vegan food.
Fuck my family.

>> No.4982545
File: 560 KB, 325x380, 1367394154790.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982536
I was suffering from blood loss.

>> No.4982549

>>4982528

smoked turkey takes time....lots of time. these things can't be rushed

>> No.4982559
File: 21 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20131128_182453_zpsb9a6eaa4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4982549

also, whore it's almost done but it's midnight black out.....see

>> No.4982561

>>4982460
Absolutely.
I lost my mom a little over a month ago and it's really tough but I'm grateful that we spent some good moments together in the months before she passed.

I'm not American so I don't really celebrate thanksgiving as a holiday but It's always good to take a pause and appreciate what you have.
I wish you all the best.

>> No.4982602
File: 421 KB, 1536x2048, 112713225626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

D-Do I win the most depressing Thanksgiving dinner award? :(

>> No.4982616

>>4982602

>dine in azn foodz

nope

>> No.4982625

>>4982519
Use the makers to put it out.

>> No.4982646 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 407x406, 1227594204509.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4978914
>Thanksgiving

Why not just give them their land back?

>> No.4982653

I ate at an army mess hall. The turkey was good, the guy at the line gave me an extra slice of prime rib, though I feel like I should have gotten ham hocks instead, since I've never had any. Collared greens were good, since it's the first time I've had any, but the Mac 'n' cheese casserole was dry and wasn't warm. One of the cherry tomatoes I had was bad and I gagged on it, but didn't barf.

>> No.4982667
File: 279 KB, 757x564, 1324429418703.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4981579

Go write on your tumblr page about it and fuck off.

>> No.4982678

>>4981579
>implying most Americans even know what they are celebrating it for anymore

>> No.4982706

>>4982678
YEAH RIGHT AMERICANS ARE SO DUMB YUROPOOR MASTER RACE

>> No.4982705

>>4982678
>implying that makes sense and that you are not a troll

>> No.4982732

>>4982678
>implying I give a fuck about what it's for
>implying it's not just an excuse to eat a fuckton and get drunk with my family

>> No.4982743

>>4982732
>implying you need an excuse for that

>> No.4982751
File: 27 KB, 600x450, how_to_not_feel_hungry_while_fasting2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>spend hours cooking delicious Thanksgiving feast
>finish cooking
>suddenly not hungry anymore
>anon why aren't you eating?

>> No.4982757

>>4982602
All I had today was half-thawed edamame and some hershey hugs.

>> No.4982765

>>4982157
You didn't take your cat with you? I always did. No dipshit is going to burn my cat to death.

>> No.4982802

Welp I made the mistake of eating breakfast in the morning. I wasn't hungry when it was turkey time.

Also, I fucked up the turkey. I removed the skin and neglected to brine. It came out pretty fucking dry. But that's what gravy is for, right.

>> No.4982811

plain boring white meat turkey, regular stuffing, portuguese stuffing (gross), good ass mashed potatoes and boiled eggs`

>> No.4982825

>>4982519
BLAST IT WITH PISS

>> No.4982862
File: 116 KB, 640x384, IMAG3192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Welp, there it is.

It was all delicious, and we didn't even put a damn dent in it. Leftovers forever. I feel like I should make some plates and hand them out to homeless people or something.

>> No.4982863

>>4980985
>Very happy with the results.
>happy with overcooking the prime rib

>> No.4982881

>>4982863
oh look, the arm chair food critic have graciously chosen to bless us with their opinions. Whassamatter, mom buy the wrong ramen again?

>> No.4982882

>>4982863
>pink almost red in the middle
>overcooked

you're meant to under cook that middle part, which he did, and the outside gets gradually more cooked and you get the flavour crust.

>> No.4982886

18 lb turkey brined in ~2 gal water, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, sage thyme rosemary and a bottle of wine for 18 hours. roasted at 500 for 30 mins and then at 350 for ~2.5 hrs. most perfect turkey I ever made. I drained the juices and made some kickass mushroom gravy. Also made a giant bowl of garlic mashed potatoes and homemade stuffing. best thanksgiving dinner I've ever made.

>> No.4982901

>>4982886

how many slices of turkey are people supposed to eat on thanksgiving

>> No.4982949
File: 1.86 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This delicious fucker. Brined, baconed, and beer'd.

>> No.4982982
File: 2.80 MB, 3264x2448, Thanksgiving.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made:
16lb turkey, deep fried (brined 16 hours with salt and brown sugar)
Oyster dressing (fuck yeah Southern style)
Kabucha squash casserole (boiled then food processor with heavy cream and cinnamon, brown sugar and butter on top)
Roasted cauliflower
Sauteed green beans with garlic
Homemade cranberry sauce
Marinated mushrooms

We also had baked Mac and Cheese brought by my brother, and Syrian-style stuffed grape leaves and kibbeh made by my business partner's wife. For finger food giant platters of veggies and crackers with my homemade hummus and tzatziki sauce, fig-stuffed brie, and an olive medley.

Best Thanksgiving I've ever had, and the only one where I cooked almost all the food. After trying the kabucha squash casserole (one guest couldn't eat potatoes, rice, white bread, etc due to diabetes, so I wanted something he could eat) I don't think I'll ever go back to sweet potatoes. The kabucha was sweeter, creamier, and more flavorful.

>> No.4983010

>>4981822
I dunno, I miss the Thanksgiving food, but most of my family have scattered all over the country, and the uncle whose girlfriend hosts a dinner the last few years is just painful to be around -- the two of them have completely ruined their lives and are very unhappy people.

Realistically, I no longer have a Thanksgiving to go back to anyway.

>> No.4983037

>I have a leftover, uncooked turkey in my fridge
What should I do?

>> No.4983056

>>4983037
Make pot pies and freeze them.

>> No.4983066
File: 1.00 MB, 1520x2688, IMAG0516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP from solo-thanksgiving thread, how'd I do?

>> No.4983090

>>4982653
Thank you for your service.

>> No.4983133

>>4982653
You don't usually eat ham hocks as a dish . . . . you can, but they're more for seasoning things.

>> No.4983906

bump