[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 64 KB, 441x705, 1353300005131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4928879 No.4928879 [Reply] [Original]

>http://waitressgonecrazy.tumblr.com/
>look at these assholes running up 50-100 dollar tabs and then only paying me 10%
>it's like they think that I can make minimum wage if I only pull 5 bucks every 20 minutes with my shitty 2.50 paycheck from my boss

wait staff confirmed for entitled shits, especially women

>> No.4928889

>>4928879
>they think i can make min wage if I pull $17.50 an hour?
that's more than most entry-level degree jobs

>> No.4928896

>>4928889
that's my point
it's more than I earn as an EFL teacher, that's for sure

>> No.4928913

>>4928879
Waitstaff legally have to make minimum wage no matter fucking what. When they tell you they only make 2.50 an hour, they are lying. They are lying. They don't deserve your money. Fuck them.

>> No.4928915

>>4928913
well, they'd get fired if they had to request the extra five bucks an hour, because their employer would have rightful reason to believe they were underperforming

except that wouldn't happen, because everyone gets ample tips except people who absolutely suck and people who are the wrong color or gender for their workplace. no one is justifying me giving them tips, so fuck anyone who is ever mad for receiving too little of a tip from anyone. anything over one cent is too much imo

>> No.4928926

I'm actually a pretty good tipper, and I'd like to think I'm not a dick, but her narcism and entitlement is just sickening. I find dealing with the assholes at my job pretty unpleasant too, but it's a living and it's not like I'm under the delusion anyone gives enough of a shit that'd I'd blog about it. Both her an I should've gone to school for something useful if we didn't want to work in the service industry that badly.

The formatting and typeface on that blog is offensive too. It's wayy to early to be this mad.

>> No.4928933

>>4928915
I can see it now

>6-foot black guy
>working tables at hetero male-oriented strip club
>goes looking for boss to make up min wage due to low tipping
>gets fired
>cries raysiss
>makes bank

>> No.4928953

>>4928933
he wouldn't have a valid complaint. the lack of receipt of tips is evidence in favor of a legal termination, and it is not a hate crime to refuse a negro tips, as tips are not mandated by anything except social etiquette

it's an unfair social system with no social protection instated, and yet the same liberal arts hippies insist on defending it to the death

>> No.4928959

>>4928913

The guy that says this in every tipping thread is so delusional. I think the whole tipping concept is dumb but if you honestly believe that every employer will be totally compliant, make up the difference, and not hold it against the employee (even if it's not their fault), you are a fool.

>> No.4928968

>>4928959
They have to make up the difference or you can sue them for it.

>> No.4928969

>>4928953

>wah anything I don't like is liberal

Go back to /r9k/.

>> No.4928972

>>4928968
see >>4928915

>>4928969
but it is liberals you faggots. non-liberals don't fill up tumblr with miles of bullshit, they just do their fucking jobs

>> No.4928976

>>4928968
but not all tips are electronic, there's no way for one side to prove against the other. So the employer can say the waiter is not adequate for the job.

When we move to the stage where all way pay with is electronics and have to write down how much we want to tip on the receipt this will be solved though

>> No.4928978

>>4928953
>liberal arts hippies
I only hear this on /ck/. Is /ck/ mostly flyover state retards?

>> No.4928979

>>4928978
stop insulting my midwest bros

>> No.4928980

>>4928972

>non liberals don't fill up tumblr with miles of bullshit
>non liberals not filling up any part of the internet with their bullshit
>any modern political party not filling up any part of the internet with their bullshit

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh harder. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Also, you're filling up /ck/ with your bullshit right now and you don't appear to be a liberal. Therefore, go kill yourself for the good of the human race.

>> No.4928983

>>4928972
>they just do their fucking jobs
like good little sheep.

Occasionally they make the obligatory gesture towards mild rebellion over things like taxes and "the welfare", but for the most part they are too worried about keeping their head afloat to make waves.

>> No.4928982

>>4928978
no, even other left-wingers mock liberal hippies for their putrid sense of entitlement. all of 4chan is filled with people who go against the grain, regardless of board (except maybe /lgbt/ and /mlp/)

>> No.4928987

>>4928982
>liberal hippies
There it is again.

>> No.4928989

>>4928982

>4chan is filled with people who go against the grain
>neo-nazis and misogyny/racism disguised as "politics"

Muh sides.

>> No.4928990

>>4928983
well if I were getting paid 15+ untaxed bux an hour to carry a plate of food from point A to point B and write down "food with side of food" on a piece of paper, I don't think I'd have much to bitch about

on the other hand, if I were an undertipped minority I would probably feel rather inclined to be a left-winger

>> No.4928993

Is there anyone here who's had to work on tips before that disagrees with tipping? I feel like anyone who's had to work for tips knows that they need it, and it's only people who've never gotten tips that say you don't.

>> No.4928998

>>4928982

>4chan has people who go against the grain
>actually believing this

>> No.4929000

>>4928993

I don't think it should be necessary at all because they should be paid normal wages, same as everyone else.

>> No.4929004

>>4928968
>They have to make up the difference or you can sue them for it.

Again, delusional. You really think some 19-year-old waitress is going to win a legal employment dispute with an established restaurant owner? She'd need damn good proof that he's shorting her, while the very employer she's fighting has access to ALL of the records. Additionally, she wouldn't want to/wouldn't be welcome to return to that job, and good luck to her finding a job waitressing anywhere else in town.

>> No.4929007

>>4928998
This. 4chan is incredibly mainstream and the ranting idiots are most likely meek introverts who would never dare to say an inflammatory comment IRL.

It's basically kids playing racist and libertarian in the comfort of anonymity. I'd be impressed if they at least created a blog with their real name. If you care that much about something, you shouldn't hesitate to having your real name associated with it.

>> No.4929014

>>4929007
>the ranting idiots are most likely meek introverts who would never dare to say an inflammatory comment IRL.

THIS SO MUCH. Thank you anon. So many assholes on here use anonymity as an excuse to just act like total pieces of human shit and if you call them out they just say "lol so sensitive bro, what a fag." Meanwhile they're probably the least confrontational kind of people IRL and work grocery at Walmart.

>> No.4929024

>>4928987
just because I say it doesn't mean it's wrong
"muh social rights issues" and "muh tips" seem to go hand in hand, prove me right

>>4928989
>/pol/ is all of 4chan
>all of /pol/'s beliefs are the most spammed topic

>>4928998
4chins has always been a pool for rejects. /b/ has narrowed that pool but the rest of the site remains largely unaffected. we are anti-liberal because liberalism is mainstream, and those of us who remain left wing steer closer to the center so as not to affiliate with deranged mainstream views

>> No.4929037

>>4928959
Non-American here, why couldn't the employee just take the employer to court? Legally they have to make up the difference and they would fire someone for asking for their legal right? Aside from that being illegal in itself, he can sue them for wrongful dismissal.

>> No.4929039
File: 288 KB, 609x447, Is this nigga dumb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4928989
>misogyny
srs pls.

>> No.4929042

>>4928993
I'm not American and have refused tips while working minimum wage jobs before. I would feel like a complete scumbag taking peoples money for nothing. I get paid my salary and I am there to do a job. It honestly seems like nothing but greed to take tips.

>> No.4929044

>>4929004
Wait, what? The woman in that example would be in the right and would win. She was not paid the minimum legal wage. what more proof would be needed other than a bank statement? Why would an employer have the employees bank statements and where is the tax record of payment? Then you talk about her being fired over that, that's illegal and would land the owner in even more shit for unfair dismissal.

Is America completely devoid of workers rights or what?

>> No.4929045

>>4929037
they HAVE to pay him when he complains, but they don't have to keep him on staff. he can claim his dismissal was so the management could skirt their financial responsibilities, but there is monetary evidence that he performed at a lower level than other employees and that would make his case difficult to push through court

>> No.4929050

>Me: “What salad dressing would you like on your salad?”
>Annoying: “What kinds do you have?”
>Me: “Ranch, Honey Mustard, Bleu Cheese, Balsamic, 1000 Island, (the list goes on forever. My restaurant has like 15).”
>After I’ve finally listed all billion dressings that we have:
>Annoying: “Oh I’ll just have Ranch.”
>… which restaurants do NOT have ranch? (I know there are exceptions, but in a chain restaurant, this is HIGHLY unlikely that you won’t have ranch as a choice….
How DARE customers make me do my job.
Stupid shits, just eat your slop and then give me 25%

>> No.4929051

>>4929014
>Everyone must be a self-absorbed narcissist like me and own 5 blogs!
There's a site you might like much better, it's called tumblr. it's that way. >>>/t/umblr

>> No.4929052

>>4929050
>only 25%
THINK OF THE SIX TRILLION GOYEM

>> No.4929054

>>4929042

I am American and I worked all kinds of low paid jobs when I was younger. There are times when a tip is insulting or degrading, and there are times when it's not, and you intuitively understand this kind of thing by the time you're in your late teens.

The kind of people here who don't understand tipping culture are the same kinds who mumble inarticulate orders to waitstaff and then explode at them when their order doesn't come out as expected (even if it was exactly as requested).

>> No.4929056

>>4929054
I understand tipping culture perfectly. I just don't respect it. when a touch screen order system and a pickup window can do your job so much better, why should I tip you to above minimum wage?

>> No.4929057

>>4929045
That's disgusting.

>> No.4929059

>>4929050
What exactly is a rach dressing or 1000 island?

>> No.4929061

>>4929057
well don't complain to me, complain to the white liberal women who decry the white hetero man for rigging the system on one hand and then turning their cheek and insisting to the death that everyone uphold a system that allows them to heavily game the minimum wage system and income tax to their own benefit for bullshit work while disadvantaging minorities on the other

>> No.4929066
File: 227 KB, 500x299, ck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4929059
Ranch is basically mayo
True Americans put it on everything
Thousand island is the same thing but with ketchup and pickle relish mixed in.
Only Canadians order it.

>> No.4929067
File: 142 KB, 670x604, pigs-at-trough.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4929056
>when a touch screen order system and a pickup window can do your job so much better

Oh, I see where you're coming from. You're desperate to get as many calories for your precious dollars as possible and you misunderstood the point of a restaurant.

Why not just eat at home, that way no markup for individually wrapped portions. Or is the stove too intimidating?

>> No.4929071

All you people saying waiters should be paid minimum wage are retarded.
The system that's in place is better for everyone. It's win win win.

And if you want a waiter to make you a priority customer out of another 10 tables she/he is waiting you should tip.
A waiter has to do a lot, including make a pleasurable experience for your unappreciative ass.

>> No.4929072

>>4929066
>ranch is basically mayo
I've never seen anything close to buttermilk in a mayo recipe
ranch is a smooth, creamy dressing

thousand island is like russian dressing, kinda putrid actually, never liked it as a kid and never plan to eat it as an adult when there are awesome aiolis abound

>>4929067
as opposed to what? who eats out because their intention is to spend as much money as possible? I go to a restaurant to eat foods that would be economically infeasible for me to prepare, not because I want to line your fucking pockets for minimum wage work. where do you get off being so entitled?

>> No.4929075

>>4929071
people keep saying that the wage system is win/win/win. it's not. everyone loses except for control freaks, attractive white women and cheap managers; no one who deserves to win does

>> No.4929080

>>4929071
>A waiter has to do a lot, including make a pleasurable experience for your unappreciative ass.

Oh please, spare me the drama. I have a college degree and teach EFL, do all my lesson planning and secondary duties in a foreign language, have a 2 hour commute, and yet I earn just below 15 dollars pre-taxes. You want me to feel bad for untrained, entry-level laborers who earn more than I do and don't have taxes, whose sole responsibilities are writing down orders and moving food less of a distance than I carry my heavy bag full of lesson materials to school every day? I guess all those anthropology classes really taught you your place in the world.

>> No.4929081

>>4929072

To me there are two kinds of dining out: utility dining, and leisure dining.

Utility dining I agree, a touch screen order system is ideal. But at those kinds of places (the sandwich shop, the deli, the local fast food joint) there is no tipping.

Leisure dining has a different business model. The staff is tipped, they have a wine list (with greater than 100% markup on the bottles), you might pay $3 for a coffee that costs $0.25 to prepare, and tipping (along with markups all over the place) is part of the package. Don't like it? Go to Chipotle.

Your comment about "economic feasibility" implies that you feel entitled to a novel dining experience, so your comments about wait staff entitlement are ironic. You do not NEED that interesting meal. You can survive on less.

Take your own advice and don't try to live beyond your means, poorfag.

>> No.4929082
File: 273 KB, 900x900, 1376263954397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT

>> No.4929090

>>4928915

Well then you're a shitty waiter. It's a fact. No one making under minimum wage as a 20+ waiter is 1) stupid enough to stay a waiter and 2) being a good waiter

>> No.4929092

>>4929081
oh please, wait service can appear at anything between a diner with 5 dollar entrees and a reservation-only world class restaurant. if you want a fat tip, get some cuisine and sommelier credentials and work somewhere where a meal for two would start at 150 dollars, and then we can talk about your tip. if you're moving 12 dollar dishes across a floor, don't make a big stink about me padding your fucking wallet. you are not worth it, stop being so entitled and making excuses as to why your paycheck is my burden and I am not entitled to purchasing my dinner for the price that is indicated on a menu as it would be in any first-world country with no tipping system in the entire globe

>> No.4929098

>>4929092

Again, it's part of the package in the US. It's also customary to list prices that don't include taxes (I understand that it's customary to list base price + tax in many countries, but not in the US).

So, when you get around to refusing to pay tax, we can talk about your refusal to pay tips as well.

p.s. I seriously doubt you have ever eaten at a restaurant with a sommelier

>> No.4929100

>>4929007
>foster a society that punishes individual thinking and deviations from the norm
>punishment is in form of giving the internet their personal information, with a side of bias and pandering to what ever social justice movement is hot
>be surprised when they don't speak publicly

I know you guys are trying to limit free speech, but try and be more subtle about it

>> No.4929108

>>4929098
I don't refuse to pay tax. Unlike waiters, I am a tax-paying citizen.

No, I have not eaten at a restaurant with a sommelier. I am a respectable enough human being that I have wanted to enjoy a meal in the presence of other people without it being so low in quality that I had to question whether or not my meat product was actually produced of meat, yet my pockets are not so lined of gold that I can pick the nicest restaurant in town. If I did, however, go to such a restaurant, I would probably tip decently according to the waiter's ability. However, I would be of the understanding that that waiter is trained for his job and has a very high line of quality he must adhere to that a regular waiter would not and could not based on their abilities and resume. If you are one of those such waiters, don't expect a proportional tip. You are no better than a cashier at best, and cashiers never get tips, so don't expect me to stoop to your system just because you're so proud it exists

>> No.4929111

Assuming 5 day work week and 8 hour work day
>260 days in the year
minus national holidays and two weeks paid vacation
>236 days in the year
>8x17.50x236
>33.4k a year

Pretty good for serving food and tax free

>> No.4929115

>>4929111
b-but who will pay for muh IPads

>> No.4929116

>>4929111
basically, despite the fact that wait staff keeps acting like protected citizens whose rights need to improve, they are earning substantially better than many entry-level post-university positions and are circumventing taxation

wait staff are literally the scum of the nation

>> No.4929120

>>4929108

You seem exceptionally mad at something, are you imagining me to be a waiter trying to convince people to pay tips? I eat at restaurants in your so-called "world class" category (protip: $75 per person meals are a dime a dozen) a couple of times a month, my group tips around 20% on average, give or take a little depending on the meal. Nobody who is an adult with a decent job bitches about this stuff as much as I see on 4chan. Last person I knew like this was a poor neurotic musician whose tips I tended to cover, he eventually moved back in with his parents in another state and I haven't spoken with him in a while.

Here's what's going to happen to you: You'll cry about entitled waiters for a few years and occasionally try to "fight the system". Your friends with common sense will get sick of your shit and they'll stop eating out with you, or you'll eventually buckle under the pressure of social expectations. You may eventually land a job where you can afford to get what you want without having a stroke over "hidden" fees. And, you'll join the rest of us in the tipping world.

Get it out of your system now, because no one has the stamina to have this much angst for the rest of his life (but hey, that's what teenaged years are for).

>> No.4929123

>>4929120
>armature psychologist

>> No.4929130

>>4929120
I storm against the system because, one, it's wrong, two, because it's okay to storm against it here, where people will give you a chance to actually discuss it rather than ignore or blacklist you as they would on so-called "social justice" websites, and three, because there are people like you who fight against me because arguing with me makes you feel bigger. "Oh, I'm a big man with a job who can afford to eat big and tip big, you can't so you must be a teenager."

No, I already left America and its horrible social conventions behind. Where I live there's no tipping, but despite being a first world country I still only earn 15 per hour at my primary job and yet I have to see all this shit all over the internet about how pitiful the lives of American waiters are while they're pulling in much more than me for education they didn't earn and work they're not doing, and like any hard-working man I'm indignant for how little the pride I take in my work is valued

>> No.4929148

>>4929120
>you'll join the rest of us in the tipping world.
I hate to break it to you sugar tits, but America isn't the world. the rest of the actual world doesn't have servers beg for money and complain about getting paid more than most people. You are self entitled scum.

>> No.4929272

>>4929148
>sugar tits
shouldn't you be shitposting in a Japanese food thread?

>> No.4929290

>>4929272
>focuses on the namecalling because he can't refute the point
like, great comeback, dude!

>> No.4929363

>ctrl-f "entitle"
>10 results found

Let me introduce you guys to a couple words:
Selfish - lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
Egotistical - excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centered.
Asshole - someone who's an asshole

There, now you can condemn one person's actions without trying to imply "oh this generation Y y'know these days nobody works like we did back in the post-war days" when you're like 18.

>> No.4929676

>>4929044

If she doesn't make enough in tips the owner could just fire her instead of paying the difference, just saying "she was bad with customers, as evidenced by her abysmal tips."

>> No.4929695

>>4928993
I've worked in front and back of house. To be honest, waiters/waitresses who complain about not being tipped enough are cunts. It's one or two tables a night that actually undertip, and the work is much easier than it is in the kitchen.

>> No.4930519

>>4929363
wait staff holds a special position in the rung of accusations and insults because no other position demonstrates such unwarranted self-importance and entitlement.

qualifications: entry-level, no education or training required
pay: generally above minimum wage, 10-20 bucks an hour depending on personal and location factors but can rise much higher even before training
workload: writing down names and numbers, moving dishes from point A to B within a short distance
stress factors: some customers are mean, degree of inappropriate conduct from boss and coworkers directly proportional to pay
expectations: higher wages, more respect, more empathy ("everyone should work wait staff so they can understand")

literally the grandest position of entitlement in the world.

>> No.4930890

>>4930519
Then you are claiming that they are NOT entitled to higher wages or respect, not that they ARE "entitled" - that doesn't make any sense. You think that they "think they are entitled to (x) when they are not" or more simply that they are arrogant.

>> No.4930897

>>4930890
it's called a sense of entitlement
or self-entitlement
you're arguing over semantics when it's irrelevant

>> No.4930914

As much as I support tips for waitstaff, I don't understand why they complain. When I was making tips, no matter what tip I got, i felt like I was one of the luckiest of the minwage workers because I knew I was making that extra for working just as hard as everyone else making minimum wage. The fact that my coworkers would complain about even a 10% tip on a $50+ meal was absurd.

Make no mistake, I support tipping to ensure quality service, but it should be what the customer decides you deserve and what they can pay, not what they have to pay.

>> No.4930930

>>4930897
Because I don't give a shit what you think about waitstaff, I just get annoyed when the quality of 4chan is generally lowered by some stupid meme word being overused. Sorry, it's not just this thread, i've just been reading non-stop about 'entitlement' for the past 6 months and it's pissing me off, especially when the motive for it's use is based on the writer's own selfishness.

>> No.4930933

>>4930930
you sound pretty entitled

>> No.4930937

>>4930914
>I support tipping to ensure quality service
I should get quality service no matter what. It's a job and they should do it well.
Not hold quality for ransom.

>> No.4930993

>>4929080
Oh wow, I didn't realize how important you are and how tough your job is. You should have asked for more money if you wanted to be paid more than waitstaff.

>> No.4931013

>>4930993
unlike you or other waiters I don't have a sense of entitlement. I'm on a contract which I was able to receive according to what my company saw fit to my abilities and experience. I had no enormous expectations for my first job out of college, and I'm paid well enough to afford an apartment, food, health expenses, and then some, and my pay will go up with time and new jobs, so I can't cry bloody injustice. Yet wait staff just bitch for more and more that they don't deserve, and that insults me as someone who works to advance.

>> No.4931041

( ・∀・) ( `ー´) ( ´∀`) ( ゚ ∀゚ ) ( ^∀^)
This thread has peacefully ended

>> No.4931046

>>4928879
>>it's like they think that I can make minimum wage if I only pull 5 bucks every 20 minutes with my shitty 2.50 paycheck from my boss
I make 11.75 an hour and what is this

Without her shitty 2.50 an hour she'd make more than me. And unreported tips don't get taxed

>> No.4931056

>>4931046
She probably already is. Waitstaff can pull a couple hundred a night with tips.

>> No.4931185

>>4928993
I work in a restaurant, alternating between being a busser in the main restaurant and a cashier in takeout. In takeout, we'll handle deliveries, catering, call-ins, and walk-ins. Other than going over orders to ensure that everything's actually there and providing plasticware and things like that, we really don't do anything to warrant being tipped. We'll usually make $40-50 in tips a night on top of our wages.

Nevertheless, our other cashiers always whine when the larger (for 10+ people) orders don't tip us out. They won't offer to help the guests out to the car with the food when they don't get tipped. (They won't outright say no, but they'll pretend to be busy.) One of my fellow cashiers is a hambeast and always tries to flirt with male guests so that they'll be more inclined to tip. She kind of subtly shows her boobs but, again, she's a hambeast. Anyway, she criticizes me for not flirting with women that come in and basically says not to talk to them if I'm not going to flirt.

Basically, they're idiots who don't feel inclined to work unless they're guaranteed money no matter what and don't have any drive to do good work. (Whatever good work there is to be done working in a restaurant, anyway.)

I'm also the only one of them who declares his tips, though, so maybe I'm the idiot.

>> No.4931211

>>4930930
being this >entitled
Seriously tipping is stupid

>> No.4931227

After reading a few entries of the blog in OP I have decided I hate this person. How about do your fucking job, you fucking entitled bitch.

>> No.4931236

Why don't they just raise the prices by 15%

And make more menu items a la carte

>> No.4931239

>>4931236
that's not even necessary. 5% would be more than sufficient to ensure minimum wage post taxes.

>> No.4931663

>>4929066
holy shit that's a big pizza