[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 34 KB, 285x285, 90844_285.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4921417 No.4921417 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, are there any chefs that frequent this board? are there any boards or such online of professional chefs, I'm an industrial design student and I want to do surveys of chefs to further a project, but need to find a sample of that demographic

>> No.4921428

what do you qualify as a 'chef'

>> No.4921450

>>4921428
I probably should have clarified that, but I'd like to hear from chefs working working in a kitchen, not necessarily line cooks but well trained chefs

>> No.4921458

>>4921450
Real chefs do not have time to lurk 4chan, and if they did, it wouldn't be right now. They'd be at work til around 1am.

>> No.4921476

>>4921450

Well, good luck with that. I'm just a lowly line cook and chef's assistant.

>> No.4921486

>>4921476
I probably shouldn't be that picky, you know way more than I do, are you very particular about your knives?

>> No.4921493

>>4921486

I don't care about brand names. If it's sharp and feels right, it's a good knife.

>> No.4921502

>>4921493
do you have any one knife you consider 'your' knife or is the variety of knives that you use too much for that kind of selectivity?

>> No.4921518

>>4921502
whatever feels right for what i'm trying to cut up. mostly just use a chef knife. paring knife less than occasionally.

>> No.4921531

>>4921518
Is there any equipment/tool or experience in your kitchen that causes a problem that you feel should be improved/fixed.

Thanks for answering these questions btw

>> No.4921532

Hey OP, not a pro, but there are a number of chefs and other food industry workers that visit /ck/. Traffic to threads like these, without a controversial hook like veganism or McDonalds, develop slowly, but if you have a couple days to keep checking back in, you might get some useful feedback. I'd just unload all your questions and check back a couple times a day. It's not like /b/ where things fade off page 10 in a half hour or whatever.

>> No.4921539

>>4921532
Thanks! I really wasn't sure if that was the case or not, I'll formulate some concrete questions do that within the next day or so

>> No.4921553

Nope, nobody decent visits /ck/ regularly anymore. It went to complete shit about half a year ago. Find yourself a nice online forum like egullet.

>> No.4921559

Hey guys so this is a question for all the line cooks chefs whatever

Can I dissolve my coke into my coffee and consolidate my morning routine

Alternatively can I grind up my coffee beans with my coke and sniff that

Or does that just kill me

>> No.4921585

I'm a executive chef.
Or I might be lying.
Either way, this isn't a good place to find industry professionals. Try cheftalk forums or something similar.

>> No.4921591

>>4921553
/ck/ was always shit. how new are you? do you even remember cooking with rainwater? gtfo noob.

>> No.4921604

>>4921486
There are various qualities to knives, such as how well the steel maintains its edge, susceptibility to chipping and fracture, bevel of the blade for different tasks, width of the blade, length of the blade, curve of the blade, shape of the handle.
Chef's knives are generally all a similar shape which is conducive to cutting on a flat surface. The main bevel is very acute and is present for the full width of the blade. There is then a microbevel used for precise sharpening.
The handle is high on the knife, leaving plenty of space for fingers if the blade is held flat on the board. It fills the hand comfortably when gripped firmly, and often has a slight downward curve towards the end for comfort, although this isn't necessary.
The blade itself has a slight upward curve, providing a fulcrum for chopping, is at least twice as wide at its widest point as the distance from your outermost knuckle to the ends of your fingers, and is about 20-25 centimetres long.
The knife should be full-tang for durability. This can indicate a well-made knife, although this is not to be relied upon.
You probably knew all this, I'm just indicating the areas that are useful to be aware of.

Hand-forged is ALWAYS the way, but is also always expensive. Some hand-forged knives will be better than others. All knives should be maintained constantly using a knife steel and whetstone.

>> No.4921611

Real chef here, what it do?

>> No.4921613

THANK GOD WE HAVE A 20 Y/O WITH NO EXPEIRIANCE LOOKING AT KNIFE DESIGN, NO BODY HAS EVER DONE THAT BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF MAN!

>> No.4921616

>>4921559
>Alternatively can I grind up my coffee beans with my coke and sniff that
Line cook here, fuck off with coffee. Snorting powdered NoDoz or other caffeine tabs hits u faster but burns like a motherfucker. Just swallow the pills if u want to save time.

>> No.4921617

>>4921604
Was "yes" or "no" question

>> No.4921636

>>4921617
I'm sure you can guess.

It's always worth having an understanding of the tools you use. Most people use knives fairly regularly. More than 90% don't know how to sharpen them.

>> No.4921768

>>4921417
As others have brought up, the definition of "chef" can be sketchy
There are certified chefs in the U.S. See American Culinary Federation if you want to go after credentials and titles and whatnot for verification.
From your questions, it seems to me that what you are looking for are dedicated kitchen professionals, but if you really want to know who you're talking with, it'd be best to contact individuals that you can verify.

If you're still wanting unverifiable sources, I'll toss in my two cents.

Yes, I am picky about my knives. There are plenty I know who are as particular as I am, but I would say there are more who aren't.

In my experience, most of the kitchen equipment that causes problems is simply old and has been repaired for 2 decades after having been abused for over a decade. In general, though, I would say electrical control panels (push button with LCD screens and so forth) on ovens, stoves, ranges, blast freezers, what have you, are problems waiting to happen. Even the high quality, supposedly well-insulated, ones I have seen in kitchens tend to be problematic. With individual mechanical knobs, if one breaks, it's just the one, and the rest of the piece of equipment will function, whereas a panel, more often than not, has to be replaced to be repaired, and the entire piece of equipment is not going to function until then.

If you would be so kind as to find a hangover cure, that would be the most beneficial advancement for the culinary trade.

>> No.4921803

>>4921768
>If you would be so kind as to find a hangover cure, that would be the most beneficial advancement for the culinary trade.

Ensure and several glasses of water. Most of the headache is dehydration, a lot of the rest is nutritional deficiency from pissing, and possibly shitting, everything you have out.

>those fucking ovens
I wouldn't call regular use abuse, but modern ovens get stuck on a particular temperature, refuse to switch between high and low fan, the timer won't function, etc. After a relatively short period of time.

>>4921417
Cook here. Everyone chokes down on the blade. Designs that try to take advantage of this fail however. Remove the bloated bolster and add some fucking very smooth and polished grooves just above the handle. And round the fucking spine, we're either gripping it or using it to crack bones.

>> No.4921818

I'm a sous chef, but I probably don't want to take a survey or whatever.

>> No.4921825

>>4921803
>I wouldn't call regular use abuse

depends on the regular use environment

Hosing down the floors every night instead of properly washing down, slamming doors (accidental though it may be), pulling away from walls to clean underneath, getting caught on a tile, tugged hard to get it off the tile, oops, tugged to hard, now cables are pulled. That's all stuff I saw happen regularly in a high end kitchen. Restaurant equipment is abused as a matter of course in my experience, which is why everything in a kitchen is overbuilt, and should be.

>ensure and several glasses of water
maybe I'll start keeping some ensure on hand
usually I just park them at a station near a trash can and hand them a pitcher of water

>> No.4922019

>>4921417
I'm married to a chef, that close enough?

>> No.4922028

>>4922019
Depends on how often you handle their equipment!

>> No.4922037

>>4922028
bow chicka wow wow

but seriously OP. for what purpose do you require a survey

>> No.4922168

>>4922037
I've been speaking to two local chefs, but as I have quickly found out, they're schedules are bonkers. However, I think it's a great demographic to design around they have specific needs and typically know what they want. I'm not looking to reinvent the Chefs knife, I'm more interested in the relationship between cooks and their tools, like how are they used, in terms of abuse, how they are stored, potential safety issues, human factors concerns (basically ergonomics).

>> No.4922170

>>4922037
the only concept that has stood out from talking with one of the chefs is a mobile storage solution for his favorite knife that folds out into a cutting board, but he specifically does catering for smaller events, so I'm not sure if there is a huge need for that among chefs or just for him

>> No.4922743

>>4922028
<ba-dum cha>

>>4922168
In all honesty most of what you're looking into has been studied to death, and is well provided for in terms of products (at various levels too) so I don't perceive it as an area where a lot of innovation is possible. GOOD innovation I should specify, since there has always and continues to be lots of gimmickry in and around kitchen tasks.

>> No.4922747

>>4922743
Gimmicky tools using cost a fuckton and are usually less durable than existing versions.

I for one would like an affordable ergonomic metal spatula. Doing a fish dinner for 500-600 makes you want to hang yourself, your wrist will suffer for days! Want extra light weight, drain holes, and the ability to grip it from several angles.

>> No.4922783

>>4922743
>...has been studied to death....
This is the case with tons of projects students perform at universities. I'm sure the idea is to go through the different steps of creating products, and surveying the market is a part of that.

>> No.4922808

>>4922783
Yeah, I try not to get bogged down in the fact that everything has been done already, even if my projects are very similar to an existing solution, I just keep designing out to specific goals and the end result is usually very different but >>4922743 does make a fair point, and I'm definitely not in school to make the next slap chop device.

>>4922747
This interests me. What parts of you hand and/or wrist hurts and what would be your ideal wrist position

>> No.4922816

>>4922808
>This interests me. What parts of you hand and/or wrist hurts and what would be your ideal wrist position
The issue is removing so many fish from a sheetpan. In order to get them off without damaging them, you need to turn your wrist significantly one way or the other to avoid hitting other fish. I've actually been flipping back and forth between using the standard spatula grip, and holding it like a knife upside down ready to stab someone. When held upside down and slid sideways, the spatula does not hurt as much. What I would like is a short metal spatula, that is light as possible as it only has to lift less than 6 oz of meat. When you make the spatula long, the meat has leverage against your arm. It really starts to hurt the 200th time you've used it.

Where it hurts? Just below the thumb and about one-third of the way from my hand to my elbow on the bottom side.

I don't even need the damned thing to be durable enough to grill with, I would just use it for plating.

>> No.4922929

>>4921559
cocaines bioavailability is like 1% orally so no, you still gotta snort it

>> No.4923978

>>4922747
>Gimmicky tools using cost a fuckton and are usually less durable than existing versions.
Word.

>I for one would like an affordable ergonomic metal spatula. Doing a fish dinner for 500-600 makes you want to hang yourself, your wrist will suffer for days! Want extra light weight, drain holes, and the ability to grip it from several angles.
They make something that should fulfil your criteria, depending on you personal definition of ergonomic in this context.

I've just read your follow-on post to the OP and I see your problem. And yes, they do make something that should suit your requirements. They're not as common but I've seen at least 2 basic types.

>>4922783
Fair point.

>> No.4923997

>>4922929
do you happen to know the offhand bioavailability of caffeine in ground up coffee when sniffed

>> No.4924023

>>4923997
close to zilch probably
don't snort crushed caffeine pills, tho'
you'll die and you won't even have a high to show for it

>> No.4924058
File: 120 KB, 1024x685, Mr Oizo Flat Eric.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4921417
In the kitchen I work at, for chef knives, the head chef uses a Ninox, one sous uses a Wustof Ikon, another a wustof classic, and another uses a misono. As for knives that are common to see, a lot of chefs use mid size misonos and small (fish bone and petty) mac knives. You have to understand that most chefs dont use a "chef knife" most of the time and are usually using something more specialized to the task. One chef uses a joyce chen chinese veggie knife mostly and swears by it. Chef uses his ninox often and the sous with the ikon uses it a lot as well. The other two sous i rarely see with a real 8"+ chef knife. The chef with the misono uses a short deba most of the time.

I believe chefs knives to go makes there own chef knives created by user input but it might be another site..
so theres a lot to consider and youre most likely going to give up before understanding the what and why of knives.