[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 11 KB, 176x175, Hamburger2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4917103 No.4917103 [Reply] [Original]

A fair warning in advance: what I'm going to ask is really fucking stupid.

It's common knowledge that hamburgers are rather unhealthy and fattening, but I can't help but wonder what makes them so unhealthy. If we look at the ingredients (bread, cheese, various kinds of vegetable, pork/beef), none of these ingredients are inherrently unhealthy. Is it something in the preparation that makes them unhealthy? If so, is it theoretically possible to make a "healthy" hamburger?

>> No.4917108

Americans make their hamburgers with really fatty beef.
And they use bread with lots of fat and sugar content.
That's all, really.

>> No.4917138

It's probably the quality of ingredient at fast food joints. I'd guess the same is true for pizza.

>> No.4917151
File: 2.64 MB, 1025x1639, 95.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hamburgers as pictured are perfectly healthy. Just know that your burger is an entire meal. The reason burgers are so unhealthy is that one might order two with a side of fries, and a diet coke, and a frosty with extra bacon. Stick to small portions, and if you're still hungry after a 6oz burger, have some fruit/dried fruit/nuts/seeds/granola/raw veg to curb your appetite.

>> No.4917154

everybody watch out the skinny fag is back on.

>> No.4917159

>>4917151

this. there's nothing inherently unhealthy with a burger, though some fast-food meals are enormous--it's not that they are "unhealthy" per se, it's simply that it's too much food.

>>4917108
The majority of the fat renders out of a burger patty when they are cooked. Also, there's nothing wrong or unusual with eating fat--in fact, classic European stews, sausages, and charcucterie contain far more fat than a hamburger patty. Crack a French cookbook and be shocked at the amount of lard, butter, and fat called for. As with any other food, it's only an issue if you eat too much. And a fast food double-cheeseburger with jumbo fries & a bladder-buster size cola is certainly "too much".

>> No.4917171

>It's common knowledge that hamburgers are rather unhealthy and fattening
>common knowledge
I.e. Momscience
The "healthy"/"fattening" dichotomy is a load of horseshit.

Burgers are usually portioned generously and served with high-calorie sides, but there's no reason a steak/salad/potato/bread meal using similar ingredients in similar portions would magically be any more "healthy".

>> No.4917180
File: 14 KB, 650x173, h75ucet[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made burgers for lunch yesterday. Pic related was nutrition facts for a five-ounce patty. I didn't add any veggies or anything because it was my first time grinding my own and I just wanted to taste meat/cheese/bread. Next time I will probably add spinach, onion, and sauteed mushrooms.

I could have made it more healthy by holding the cheese probably and using a whole-wheat bun, but this thing was breddy gud and 535 calories isn't bad at all for a meal, which it was, as I ate it with no sides. Unfortunately for me it's about 1/3 of my daily caloric intake due to weight-loss diet.

>> No.4917191

>>4917151
>>4917159

Agreed. A simple small (jr/value) burger or chcken sandwuch to go, that's all.

No sauce for nuggets and my dog gets half of those, she loves Wendy's!

No damn way I'm paying $6 for a fast food burger and I don't care what you call it.

But I rarely eat fast food unless travelling, about every other week.

It's all about portion control. Hell, I lost 5#s over the last two weeks, down from 193#s to 188#s and didn't exercize any more than normal. My goal weight is 186#s with better tone and stamina/endurance, for that I know I'm gonna have to get out the blades, do more kayaking and hike more elevation chage trails.

>> No.4917204

>>4917180
Isn't that a very high salt content for bread?

>> No.4917207

>>4917204

Probably, I don't know. I actually used Publix bakery french bread rolls, but the ones in the picture were the only ones in my calorie-counting website's database. I was just trying to get a caloric ballpark estimate.

>> No.4917212

>>4917171
>portioned generously
Isn't the correct serving for meat 3 oz? A Quarter pound burger (before cooking) is only an ounce more, and making a "regular" burger should only be about 3 oz anyway.

I think the unhealthy image comes from the fact that it's a ground meat. A steak will have fat throughout the meat, but will be locked deep inside, whereas a ground patty's fat, when melted, will run out and pool in the pan (this assumes pan/griddle cooking and not over an open grill)

>> No.4917231
File: 11 KB, 389x324, to what end.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4917151
>a side of fries, and a diet coke, and a frosty with extra bacon
>and a frosty with extra bacon
>frosty with extra bacon

>> No.4917240

yes, its called a veggie burger. there are various kinds available for purchase in stores or you can pull any number of recipes from the internet. in doing so, you'll reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, and hypertension, so i sincerely advise you to do so.

>> No.4917246
File: 27 KB, 430x360, chavez.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4917240

Please do not respond to the bait.

Please do not respond to the response to this post claiming it was not bait.

Thank you.

>> No.4917251

Takeaway fast food burgers might be unhealthy because:
No reason, really. The problem with burgers and those who routinely eat them is one of portion size. That's all. Also the accompaniments that are thought to be traditional with burgers, such as fried potatoes and fizzy drinks. Even then, having bit of fizzy and some chips with your burger every now and again is hardly some great sin.
I don't recall when last I went out to eat and had a burger, but I cook and eat a few each year, maybe about a dozen. Usually, I have a salad with it. Occasionally, I have chips. I seldom have fizzy drinks altogether.

>> No.4917268

>>4917240
You'd also want to replace the bun, since it's probably just as bad as the burger. I suggesting eating a vegie burger in between two hunks of thin lightly seared meet, such as steaks cut from a bottom round.

>> No.4917271

>>4917246

another meat eater trying to shut down rational discussion. what else is new?

>> No.4917297

>>4917103
Its the buns that have the same caloric intake as the fucking meat patty.

>not using lettuce wraps for your burgers

>> No.4917300 [DELETED] 

>>4917271

another limp wristed faggot that cannot mentally grasp that someone might have a differing opinon

>> No.4917303

>>4917271
>Has a shrunken brain
>Wants to have a "rational" discussion

http://www.sott.net/article/203114-Vegetarians-have-smaller-brains

>> No.4917310
File: 616 KB, 960x1296, Burger-King-Bacon-Sundae-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4917231

>> No.4917403

OP's question is actually reasonable, and many answers are right on.

If you had a Quarter Pounder with a side of broccoli, taboulleh salad, a glass of water, and a couple figs with cream for dessert, you'd be in okay shape.

Better still, replace the bun with a whole wheat bun, and cook the burger in such a way that more fat can drip off it. Fast food burgers that include lettuce and tomatoes (the quarter pounder has just pickles and onion) could generally be improved by using greener lettuce, and riper-when-picked, recently picked tomatoes, though that's expensive to pull off on a year-round, worldwide basis.

>> No.4917420

>>4917303
>sott.net

lol no

>> No.4917430

>>4917268
>>4917297

Carbohydrates are inherently high in calories, but this is not a bad thing. Although I'd rather have two slices of good bread than packaged hamburger buns, carbohydrates (and their calories) are necessary to make a hamburger a complete meal. One hamburger with cheese supplies meat, grain, dairy, fat, salt, fiber, vitamins and vegetation. Served with a lightly dressed salad, you have a very well balanced meal. Please do not be afraid of calories.

>> No.4917453

It's about how they are made and usually served. Fatty cuts of beef ground up and cooked, then layers of more fat(mayo, bacon, cheese), ketchup, mustard then a few vegetables on a white flour bun. Typically with fried side item, like french fries or onion rings on the side. Plus your sugary soft drink.

And Americans loved their food huge. Buying 1/2 lb burgers topped with 1/4 lb of bacon and cheese.

>> No.4917468

The burgers are not unhealthy. They are just strongly associated with unhealthy restaurants. When you mention burger, most people think fast food. Places where you can get a whole days worth of calories in one meal. Where they can take any food item and secretly add ungodly amounts of sugar, salt and fat. Eat 3000 calories in 30 minutes and still not be satisfied.

>> No.4917470

>>4917103

They're not really unhealthy, or healthy. They are high in saturated fats.

What's most fattening is usually the fries, also, the meat used to make patties is usually 70/30 or something, so there's a lot of fat there.

To make a healthy burger using conventional meat, you could make the patty moister using meatball or meatloaf technique, using more vegetables, etc. however, I don't think eating meat is healthy.

>> No.4917483

A hamburger isn't unhealthy if you don't eat it every day, don't make it too big, and don't load it up with extra cheese, bacon, etc. IMO the worst part of a hamburger is that people insist on it being accompanied by fries, onion rings, sodas, shakes, and whatnot. Which are worse than the burger itself.

>> No.4917490

>>4917483

Actually, I think a hamburger every day could be part of a great diet. No cheese, no sides (other than fruit, salad, nuts), glass of water.

>> No.4917499

>>4917490
I bet you'd use ground beef from the store.

Your American is showing.

>> No.4917512

>>4917499
And exactly where do you get your ground beef?
Come on asshole, keep fucking on the USA but you're never specific are you so that we can target your sorry lame asses.

Pull that cum filled condom out of your ass and be specific.

>> No.4917514

Hamburgers, in general, aren't unhealthy. It's what you do to them, and eat with them that makes a burger meal unhealthy. I make burgers at home all the time, and have done the nutrition work ups for mine. One of my burgers, in total, comes out at around 400 calories. If I were on my other computer, I could give you even more specifics, but I'm not there right now. I grill my patties, which cuts down on added fats, I use mustard as my condiment, sometimes hot sauce, and I load it with veggies and jalapenos. Occasionally I make a decadent burger, with cheese, some kind of crazy sauce, or extra meats, but those are rare treats, not regular burgers. And speaking of decadent sauces for burgers, bone marrow sauce or aioli. Do it.

>> No.4917527

>>4917525

> this faggot

>> No.4917525

>>4917512
>And exactly where do you get your ground beef?
From a farm. I should be getting a deer in the next couple weeks, so I'll be using venison a lot after that.

Not from multiple-animal batches that result in shitty quality, ammonia-treated, antibiotic-laden shit meat.

>> No.4917530

>>4917514
Do you calculate everything you eat, you sound like a real uptight asshole. Are your buttcheecks so tight that you can crack and cook eggs on them?

It's an honest question.

>> No.4917534

>>4917525
You're pretty presumptious and arrogant aren't you?

>> No.4917537

>>4917310
holy crap it's not a shoop
http://www.bk.com/en/us/menu-nutrition/snacks-203/desserts-234/bacon-sundae-m2574/index.html

>> No.4917592

>>4917530
>Do you calculate everything you eat, you sound like a real uptight asshole

Not that guy, but I do calculate everything I eat because I'm on a weight-loss diet right now. So yeah, fuck you.

>> No.4917593

>>4917537

Bacon and chocolate or ice cream go well together due to sweet and savory.