[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 141 KB, 540x397, rare steak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4909758 No.4909758 [Reply] [Original]

How do I get a nice sear with a pink center? I leave the steak out in room temperature for 30mins+, get the pan nice and hot, add a little olive oil with butter and sear both sides for one minute each on medium-high heat.
I take it off the pan and the surface isnt a nice brown with 70% of it being that dull gray color. And the inside is quite well-done
What am I doing wrong?

>> No.4909763

My guess is that you're cooking it too long.

Higher heat+lower time=rarer steak

Getting a feel for how long it takes to cook cuts of different thickness takes a lot of practice. It's not something I claim to be able to do. I just cut a cross-section when I think it might be done and throw it back on for a bit if it's not.

>> No.4909780

>>4909763
but if I use a lower time, I wont even get the sear
with one minute, I still cant get a good sear on at all

>> No.4909783

>>4909758
Are you patting the steak dry with a paper towel to remove moisture before putting it on the pan? If not, do that. The Maillard reaction cannot take place in the presence of moisture. This step is crucial to a good sear.

>> No.4909787

>>4909758

You're using way too thin of steaks if your shit inside is well-done after only a minute of searing on each side. 3-4 minutes per side usually produces a medium steak with a steak of average thickness.

>> No.4909788

>>4909758

Cooking a steak for 2 mins.
Well done centre.

Firstly, dont use oil and butter. Get a higher smoking point fat and dont add your steak to its smoking. Make sure the steak it patted dry. And just get a thicker steak. No steak should be well done after only 2 mins. Fuck, it should take atleast 15 mins for a nice piece of steak.

>> No.4909790

>>4909780
Your pan isn't hot enough. Heat it in the oven if it's cast iron. Make sure the steak is dry.

>> No.4909793

>olive oil with butter

those are pretty much the two least well suited types of fat for frying a steak you can find.

Use some canola oil, heat pan to bolcano temps and sear steak in HOT oil.

>> No.4909826 [DELETED] 

>>4909758
Industrial secret.

Some professional chef browse /ck/ but they won't tell you the perfect time, heat settings and equipment. They all know the answer but this is industrial secret and they will not give it away for free.

>> No.4909836

I didnt pat the steak with a paper tower so maybe that's why I guess

>>4909788
well, it only cost me 4 dollars

>> No.4909855

>I leave the steak out in room temperature for 30mins+

This promotes even cooking. You aren't looking for even cooking, you're looking for extremely uneven cooking.

>> No.4909860

Steak in a pan has always caused me a bit of trouble until recently. I've always been fucked by either having it too dark on the outside and too raw inside (unless I want it black and blue, which I do on occasion) or too cooked on the inside without a good sear. And as a bonus the actual crust would just peel off in the pan when I turned it.

What I do now is I get the pan really hot and just flip it every minute. After four minutes it gets to the border of rare and medium rare (I do five if I'm cooking a thicker steak) and the sear builds up nicely without burning to the pan.

>> No.4909874

Add brown sugar your your seasoning and rub it in there.

>> No.4909877

>>4909855
This, OP. If you want your steaks rare in the middle or even black and blue:
1. Use a colder steak
2. Use a higher temp
3. Use oil with a higher smoking point. I'd use clarified butter.
4. Make sure your steaks are dry.

>> No.4909891

Well, thanks guys
I'll use a cooler meat, a hotter pan and another oil and maybe try the brown sugar trick if it still doesnt work out

It's fine to cook rare steaks if I'm using meat that's isnt fresh right? Say, one day after its packed date?

>> No.4909899

Roll steak around in a pan full of crushed black peppercorns.

Turn on a burner

Place steak directly on the flame

Burn all four sides

Take off the flame and dip in clarified butter

Let it sit on a warm glass plate for exactly six minutes

Eat

>> No.4909903

>>4909758
>What am I doing wrong?
Using nonstick pan?

>> No.4909908

>>4909891
After the package date? Yes.
After the sell by? Yeah, usually.
Your nose will tell you. The other week I had some steaks that were apparently treated to stay fresh looking, but smelled like friggin fish. I threw those out.

>> No.4909915

>>4909903
You can get a good sear using a non-stick pan but the sear won't be nearly as good or as easily achieved as using a cast iron.

>> No.4909917

getting even doneness means cooking at a lower temp

getting a good crust means super high temps and a dry surface of the meat

>> No.4909981

>>4909758

In a pan, in a house, it's very difficult. You need a lot of thermal energy to be expended into the muscle tissue very rapidly to char it, but not cook it in-depth. Then you need to do the same on the other side, but if you use a pan, even cast-iron, the thermal energy has already been expended and is being moderated by the water evaporation. This makes an awesome quantity of smoke in a house and it projects fat particles everywhere.

One way you could achieve your ends is to use a large grilled pan on maximum heat, sear the other side on a different area of the pan, then finish it off under the broiler in a pan.

This is something that is very, very difficult to achieve in a house. That steak there looks like it was grilled over ambers.

>> No.4910018

>>4909981
>In a pan, in a house, it's very difficult.
you fuckin kidding me

>finish under broiler
do you want uneven doneness

>very, very difficult to achieve in a house

you relaly are retarded

>> No.4910273

>>4909758
>I leave the steak out in room temperature for 30mins+,
Don't do that. Waste of time: makes no appreciable difference to the end result.

>sear both sides for one minute each on medium-high heat.
Don't do that either. Flip frequently for best results.

>What am I doing wrong?
Your pan isn't hot enough. If you're not getting massive amounts of smoke from the fats you're trying to fry in it's a certainty. It isn't NEARLY hot enough.

Cook your steaks in an oil that can take higher heat, like canola / rapeseed or peanut. If you want the flavour of butter add some to the pan **near the end** and baste the steak well with it.

>> No.4910389

sear it for less than 45 minutes

>> No.4910437
File: 360 KB, 500x567, 1380481028729.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4910273

>> No.4910584

>What am I doing wrong?
>olive oil
>one minute
>medium-high

you're probably using shit tier cuts that are sliced too thin too.

>> No.4910624

beer cooler sous vide and a blowtorch. fuck pans.

>> No.4910639

Here's something I copy pasted from here a little while ago. Adjust cooking times for whatever degree of doneness you want.

-Let steak sit out at room temperature (in plastic) for an hour to let it get to room temperature;
-Pat steak dry with paper towel. This is important because the Maillard reaction (browning, which is important for flavor) cannot take place in the presence of moisture;
-Coat each side of the steak lightly with oil; do not put oil in the pan;
-Get a cast iron pan smoking hot, then throw the steak on. Medium rare to medium for a typical sirloin will be 3-4 minutes per side;
-Season to taste and let the steak sit for 10 minutes before serving, as the hot outside of the steak will continue to cook the cooler inside of the steak while it sits. Nom.

>> No.4910823

>>4910639
This.

>> No.4910831
File: 1.96 MB, 1040x1200, 1375928266556.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I follow this. Comes out great.

>> No.4910839
File: 500 KB, 987x766, 1382198496819.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4910831
>that nocrust

>> No.4911094

Remove steak from packaging and place on a wire rack over a drip tray in the fridge for 4-8 hours. This is to dry the outside of the steak and start to oxidise the outside which will catalyse the maillard reaction.
Remove steak from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
Season steak with salt but do not add pepper.
Get pan hot as it will go with a high smoke point oil - but just a thin layer.. Although it's not volcanic I prefer peanut oil as it pairs well with the flavours of the steak. Get it just on the point of smoking, then nudge down.
Prepare a sheet of foil three times the size of the steak to receive it.
Transfer the steak to the pan using scalloped tongs - these will minimise damage which can let moisture out.
Warning! It will spray like crazy.
Immediately the steak is in turn the gas to full power.
Now leave the steak alone for 50% of the cooking time. Don't touch it at all.
After 50% of time has elapsed lift the steak up with the tongs, hold it just off the pan for a moment whilst you jiggle to get an even fat coating again, then place the uncooked side down.
Allow a further 40% of the cooking time to elapse, then throw in a knob of butter, get it melted, and quickly turn the steak to coat.
Transfer steak to foil and wrap tightly and take the pan off the burner, turning the gas down. Place the wrapped steak on an insulated ambient surface (wooden chopping board is ideal) and let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes.
Deglaze the pan for a sauce. Open rested steak package and add any leaked juices to sauce. Serve steak covered in sauce.

>> No.4912042

>>4911094
>This is to dry the outside of the steak
>Season steak with salt (just before putting it on pan)
Yeah. Brilliant idea. Dry the outside of the steak, but then right before you put the steak on the pan, put fucking SALT on it to DRAW FUCKING MOISTURE TO THE SURFACE, inhibiting the maillard reaction in the process. Idiot.

>> No.4912063

>>4912042
It's a seasoning, not enough salt to generate an osmotic gradient strong enough to pull liquid through already dried flesh. A pinch of coarse salt is more than enough. Additionally drawing out moisture takes Time, and you don't give it Time by seasoning just before you add to the pan.

>> No.4912085

I do that salting thing before this, but I just stick the steak in the toaster oven at warming temperature for a while and the top surface starts getting dry. Spread some butter on that, and toss it into my copper core on high heat, and flip after a minute.

>> No.4912089

>>4912063
>not enough salt to generate an osmotic gradient strong enough to pull liquid through already dried flesh
>and you don't give it Time by seasoning just before you add to the pan.
These statements are wrong. How does it feel to be this wrong? Stop posting misinformation.

>> No.4912151

This reminds me of the two ribeyes in my fridge. Steak & eggs, anyone?

>> No.4914646

>>4912089
>These statements are wrong. How does it feel to be this wrong? Stop posting misinformation.

What kind of dribbling moron are you?

>> No.4914648

>>4912151
Basted eggs cooked in the leftover steak fat?

>> No.4914699

get a thicker cut.

>> No.4914735

not op but will rapeseed oil work ok?

>> No.4914760

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is rare steak raw in the middle or does the heat transfer cook it slightly (but obviously not enough to cause it to brown)?

>> No.4914762

Heat that motherfuckin' pan up.

>> No.4914770

You might also be using way too much oil,
What kind of pan are you using?

>> No.4914789

>>4914760

I wouldn't say the center is cooked, however it is warmed. A rare, or even medium rare steak will never get to temperatures that would kill bacteria. Its a small risk you take, but its unlikely to give you food poisoning or anything.

Once you start to cook it longer the colour gets paler.

example, a rare steak should have quite a deep red colour. A medium steak should have a pink centre. And well done, obviously brown.

>> No.4914790

>>4914770
A cast iron

>> No.4914797

>>4914760
It is slightly cooked. It doesn't have the texture of raw beef, but it likely didn't get very hot.

Bacteria is introduced to meat when you slice it with a knife and expose it to air. The internal tissue has extremely low bacteria levels, so it's not much to worry about.

>> No.4914800

>>4909758
Dont use olive oil or butter for cooking steak, you'll smoke your whole house up.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pan-seared-steak-from-alton-brown-265639

>> No.4914827

>>4909758
I would recommend using vegetable oil instead of olive oil. olive oils burns at a much lower temperature than vegetable oil. You'll smoke out the room. Also heat your pans for at least 10 minutes on the highest heat. At this temperature 1 minutes and a half on both for rare add 30 seconds the more you want it cooked.

>> No.4914960

>>4909758
Put the oil on the steak not on the pan. Get the pan searing hot and add steak for 2-2 1/2 minutes each side and when you flip it add melted butter to the steak and baste it by pouring the meat butter juices over the steak to give it a crispy red brown outside

>> No.4915707

>>4912089

See >>4914800 re salting the steak.

Lolsworthy.

>> No.4916025

>>4909758
Stop oiling the pan, just oil and season (salt and pepper) the steak, this will prevent smoking.
also, turn the pan up, cook for a shorter time, stop touching the fucking thing - One side, One cook....flip....One side one cook....- the more you fuck around with it the less likely you are to get decent char marks

>> No.4917261

>>4916025
>just oil and season (salt and pepper) the steak,

Pepper can give an off taste when seared. Some people like and some don't. I tend to salt mine before cooking and pepper after.