[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 89 KB, 640x426, butternut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4908599 No.4908599[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

what's a foolproof butternut squash soup recipe?
also, I've seen a few that require roasting; is it really necessary? I've got the time and resources to, but just wondering

>> No.4908605

>>4908599
> Butternut Squash Lasagna

>> No.4908645

>>4908599
I have two variations I like.

>Apple & squash cream soup
half a squash (peeled,seeded,cubed)
a medium onion (peeled, diced)
a carrot (peeled, chopped)
an apple (peeled, seeded, chopped)
salt&pepper
a teaspoon of ground cinnamon,nutmeg,chilli powder (optional)
about half a cup of cream

>Winter squash soup
half a squash (peeled,seeded,cubed)
a medium onion (peeled, diced)
a carrot (peeled, chopped)
juice & zest of an orange
1-1,5dl of rum
salt&pepper
a teaspoon of ground coriander seeds & cloves
about half a cup of cream

>Prep
Sweat the onions on some oil, when translucent, add spices and stir until aromatic. Add everything else, except the cream, cover with water and cook until soft. Blend the whole thing or push thru a sieve and add as much cream as you like.
I also like it as a cold cream:

>Squash & feta cream
half a squash (peeled,seeded,roasted)
feta cheese (1 part to every 2 parts squash)
a bulb of roast garlic (Cut away the bottom, drizzle olive oil on it, wrap in foil and bake in oven for 10mins)
half a tablespoon of yellow mustard
a tablespoon of lemon juice

Throw everything in a blender and pulse until smooth. Serve on bread with with lightly roasted seeds of whatever you like.

>> No.4908649

>>4908645

>>Squash & feta cream
>half a squash (peeled,seeded,roasted)

not peeld obviously, sorry.

>> No.4908698

Foolproof:

Saute onion in too much olive oil and pinch salt. Add raw squash, peeled and cut into cubes. Add enough water to more than cover, bring to a simmer. Squash ought to cook in just over half an hour. Add spices (combination of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg OR some curry powder) and pinch sugar. Blend together with hand mixer. Taste and reason.

That's pretty easy, and it will not let you down.Yes, you can use butter instead of olive oil. And if you really want to gild the lily you can add a little cream to the soup in the serving bowl, along with some toasted pumpkin seeds.