[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 104 KB, 800x546, Pizza party 4 loaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4895593 No.4895593[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

mmk /ck/

made my first homemade pizza dough tonight. and i am really excited about it. cant wait to use it this weekend. i will use it sunday. i find that dough that is a few days old has better flavor.

my method was pretty simple and want your opinion on what if anything i should add. i will be making more tomorrow night since it is cheat and easy and im just making one dough ball at a time.

1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups water

hand mixed all of them in a bowl, let sit for 15 minutes. kneaded the dough into a ball and coated in olive oil, wrapped the dough and put it in the fridge to slow rise until sunday.

i think i kind of rushed the yeast activation on this one so i will probably take more time on that step tomorrow.

i am going to pick up some bread flour tomorrow and make my next ball of dough with that. hopefully i can keep this bumped until sunday and report how the pizzas turned out.

>> No.4895616

>measuring baking ingredients by volume
>measuring water at all
what are you doing

>> No.4895618

>>4895616
trying to learn to make dough. starting with a recipe that looks simple enough.

>> No.4895625

>>4895618
well thats wrong

>> No.4895626

>>4895625
this is some solid advice. thanks

>> No.4895628

looking at the dough i made it looks great. but i guess i will toss it since i did it wrong.

>> No.4895631

>>4895616
>>4895625
You could try explaining why it's wrong instead of trying to validate your own ego.

Sorry OP. I'm not much of a dough man.

>> No.4895647

i once saved some dough for the day after and yep, it was way better than the one i used the day before.
not sure what'd happen if you waited so many days
good luck! ill make some dough tonight. fridays are my pizza days.

>> No.4895657

>>4895631
okay, sorry man

you measure baking ingredients by weight especially because you can easily compact twice as much flour as sifted flour in the same cup

you add water until the texture is right, measuring water is bad

>> No.4895658

First off, your dough looks good, enjoy your pizza, it's ok to not get things absolutely perfect your first time. I find that most bread and pizza dough recipes found on the internet to be lacking in salt. you'll benefit from sprinkling a bit of kosher salt on the crust after you roll it out.

In baking, volume-based recipes are bad. The mass of a cup of flour can vary wildly depending on a bunch of different factors. inconsistent measurements leads to inconsistent products.

It's always best to bloom your yeast before you combine the water and flour. combine your water (which should be lukewarm, specifically 112-124° F) with the yeast and a teaspoon of honey or sugar, and let it sit until a thick foam forms on top.
Even better would be to start with a preferment. combine the yeast, the water and flour equal in amount to the water and let it stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours, up to overnight, then add the remaining flour and salt and knead as usual.

>> No.4896368

anyone here made a pizza from sour dough?
if so, how was it?

>> No.4896381

hey op i made some batter for biscuits and i added a little bit of vanilla extract. its basically alcohol, and i was wondering if the fuckfaces being cocksuckers in your thread can tell me if alcohol is bad for the yeasties. i too am a student of the homemade culinary. your dough balls look spot on.

>> No.4896949
File: 1.10 MB, 1200x857, 22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4895657
Fuck off. I know how to bread better than you. Obviously you need to account for different types of flour, humidity, temperature, altitude etc. but in most cases it doesn't really make a huge difference. Claiming "measuring water is bad" is mindboggling stupid.

>>4895658
Or even better: Instant or fresh yeast which doesn't require activation and added sugar. I will never understand why you Americans (it does seem to be an American thing) seem to bother with active dry yeast.

>>4895593
Is there a question somewhere in there? The doughs in the picture look dry. You should try working with high hydration doughs. It's pretty easy when making pizzas because they don't require any real shaping. Actually I would argue it's A LOT easier to stretch a wet pizza dough by hand than it is to roll out a dry dough.

>> No.4896962

Looks good OP. I regularly make some really basic dough using bread flour and I find it is much easier to work with than dough made from AP or whole wheat.

>> No.4897915
File: 2.11 MB, 3264x1836, basicsourdough.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4895593
Recipe looks fine, though I think it's a bit dry. Higher hydration doughs tend to produce pizza crusts with big air inclusions. Low hydration doughs like yours produce a bready crust that can be a little unpleasant (to my tastes). Good start, though. I generally don't advocate adding anything aside from the basic 4 ingredients to pizza doughs, but a lot of people like throwing in some olive oil to soften the crust. Not my thing.

>>4896381
Yeast produces alcohol, so a small quantity of vanilla extract is no big deal.

>> No.4898085

>>4895593
I make my own pizza dough, my dough is generally bland compared to the sauce and cheese so I like to throw some Italian seasoning in it and it seems to do the trick.

>> No.4898111

holy shit i checked on the dough today and it was very tough. lucklily i picked up some bread flour on the way home. i made i nice batch using nearly the same formula but added a bit of sugar and a bit of EVOO. i could tell when mixing it would be perfect. came out just like the dough i have made in pizza shops. hand mixed it and hand kneaded. also gave the yeast proper time to wake up this time in warm water.

>> No.4898121

>>4898085
ive had ok results experamenting with instant mashed potatoes as one of the ingredients for dough.

>> No.4898177

>>4896949
>Fuck off. I know how to bread better than you.
>Sorry OP. I'm not much of a dough man.
You fuck off mate.

> Obviously you need to account for different types of flour, humidity, temperature, altitude etc.
You do that by knowing what texture you're aiming for. Texture affects dough development, not the amount of water.

>> No.4898220

>>4896949
>Is there a question somewhere in there?
does there need to be a question?

>> No.4899045

Nailed it on my second batch. Its slow rising beautifully in the fridge. Might snap some pics tomorrow while I put it together

>> No.4900717

Cooking my zza in a few hours =>

>> No.4902051

wowowowowowow such perfect dough. best pizza i have ever made

>> No.4902094

>>4895593
if you want that real pizza dough taste, you should get some durum flour. use half durum and half regular flour.

>> No.4902101

>>4902094
If you want that real pizza dough taste, you should get some real pizza flour, i.e. wheat type 00.

>> No.4902111

>>4895593
mix some minced garlic an parmesan cheese into the dough. Thank me later.