[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 89 KB, 640x426, butternutsquash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4883630 No.4883630[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /ic/,

I have recently acquired this. I've never eaten a butternut squash before, since they're not very common here. I really love zucchini, but that's pretty much the only squash I ever ate that I know of.
So what I'm asking is, what is a good recipe to try for someone who's never eaten them? No pies please, as I'm not american and don't see how sweet goes well with savoury.
What about hokkaido squashes? Has anyone tried them? Are they very different? Because they also recently started selling them here. Seems like they're "in" now.

>> No.4883635

>>4883630
Why would you assume that is exclusively an american thing?
You can split it in half like your picture. Scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. Bake it until it is soft, then turn it into a savory soup.

>> No.4883637

>>4883635
Because I've nowhere else seen someone mixing such foods. Maybe it's a british thing too.
Is it possible to make something besides pie and soup? Well, it's possible, but you know what I mean. I'm afraid that the flavour will be too strong for eating it on itself as a soup and I'll have to throw it all away. Are they any good sauteed or roasted?

>> No.4883640

>>4883637
You could also turn it into chips. I do also love bread made from it. With nuts and dried cranberries.

>> No.4883643

>>4883640
Bread with squash, nuts and cranberries? Sounds like a dessert.
I might go for the chips.

>> No.4883657

>>4883643
I don't usually sweeten mine. I also use the tart cranberries. Give that a go sometime. You will be surprised.

>> No.4883686

Cut into chunks and roast it.

>> No.4883707

Make a risotto with it, or a curry.

>> No.4883710

>>4883630
Butternut squash has a flavor similar to sweet potato or pumpkin if you've eaten those.

Most of the time I just split it in half, bake it in the oven, then mash it with a little bit of butter and brown sugar.

I've also made butternut squash risotto before, and that was pretty good.

I think it was this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe/index.html

>> No.4883778

So I roasted them and put them in a salad. They're fine, but not as good as zucchinis. I have the other half left so I'll make a soup or something tomorrow.

>> No.4883950

>>4883630
You can use/mix them interchangeably with any recipe that calls for pumpkin, sweet potato, and/or acorn squash.

So, you can use them to make,

PIE
Flavored ice cream
Cookies
Cakes
Breads
Soups
Stews
Just baked and eaten

>> No.4883956

>>4883630
Make steak fries with them!

>> No.4883965
File: 43 KB, 500x375, pasta e cucozza DSC011051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Halve it.
De-seed it.
Oven roast it until soft.
Scoop out flesh.
Smash flat a handful of garlic cloves for every lb/500g of squash. And some dried chilies, too, to taste.
For every lb/500g of squash, add a quarter-third cup/60-80ml olive oil (regular type, not EV) to a cold pot.
Add garlic and chilies (if using) and set to high heat.
When fragrant and garlic has just started to blond, add squash.
Sauté a minute or two then add water to submerge.
Bring to the boil and cook until squash is broken up and the rough consistency of a chunky tomato sauce.
Salt to taste, off the heat and stir in a handful of fresh parsley leaves per lb/500g squash.
Par-cook 75g dry mixed-variety pastas to just under desired doneness.
Drain pasta and put back in the pot.
Add 120-160ml squash sauce per 75g dry pasta you used and simmer until pasta has finished cooking through.
Serve.
Pic related.

This is commonly done with Spanish pumpkin but it tastes more like spaghetti squash than American sweet pumpkin. Butternut tastes like the halfway point between American sweet pumpkin and Spanish pumpkin, so it's a good option here.

>> No.4886066

I just bake them until they're soft, then scoop out the insides and mix with butter and brown sugar. Easy mode vegetables.

>> No.4886096

butternut soup is possibly the best possible soup you can make.