[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 538 KB, 1628x952, school.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4873067 No.4873067[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How was lunch when you went to school?

Picture related, what my school is now serving. I don't remember any of that. It was always some kind of pasta goop or some kind of bready baked chicken on top of something.

>> No.4873076

I don't think mine changed much from what I see in the newspaper. I did notice a year back or so though our district stopped allowing lunches from home though

>> No.4873080

homeschooled, ate whatever i want and did classes whenever i want

online school was pretty cool

>> No.4873107

square pizza, corn, canned peaches, milk
cheeseburger, fries, brownie, milk
chicken patty, mac and cheese, mixed canned fruit cocktail, milk
yellow taco chips, taco meat, green beans, canned peaches, milk
chicken nuggets, corn, brownie, milk
chili, grilled cheese sandwich, canned fruit, milk
salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, corn, roll, milk
ham and cheese on a bun, chips, milk
spaghetti, garlic bread, canned fruit, milk

these were pretty much the only things on the menu. all of it was great.

>> No.4873117

>>4873076
>stopped allowing lunches from home

...why? What if you had a million allergies and didn't want to gamble on whether the school menu would be 100% lethal to you?

>> No.4873128

We had 2 lines in our school, one was the usual plastic pizza, breaded chicken sandwiches, hamburgers/cheeseburgers, wilted salad bowls, fries/tater tots etc.

The other was I think what the lunch ladies attempted to turn into somewhat normal food. It'd be one large batch of something, things like taco salad, lasagna, baked shells, mac and cheese, usually some sort of pasta.

Twice a year, towards the summer months we'd have a BBQ ("BBQ") day, with hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, corn, and sausages all being made that day and on a couple grills set up outside the lunch room.

One day we had this professional chef come in and make fresh pasta for everybody. That was the best day ever.

>> No.4873145
File: 239 KB, 894x633, Picture 12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go to your old elementary school's web page and grab their menu for the month of October. Compare with others.

>best day
chicken and egg rolls

>worst day
corn dog nuggets

>> No.4873161

look at all the butter and cheese and fat and preservatives forced upon the children. not to mention the portions being small to get away with not going over salt limitations. yup way better then a sack lunch of peanut butter and jelly or other various sandwich a piece of fruit and water or soda. but hey i guess infrastructure dictates you need more useless jobs in the government. fuck forced school lunches. i would come up on a few dollars and ditch school for lunch time and get decent food at the grocery store. oh get busted and have to do detention! fuck detention i ditch that as well and tell my parents why

>> No.4873169

>>4873117
maybe you could work out a deal or something, idk. I just know it caused a stir for awhile because parents didn't want to spend $2.25 a day for school lunches, and when they sent the kids with a bag lunch it would get trashed and they would have to eat off the menu.

I remember hearing of different districts doing this, know some chicago school are doing it too. Idea was the food parents were sending was worse than what the school was, and the government knows best.

>> No.4873172

what the fuck is a frito pie

>> No.4873183
File: 130 KB, 1394x806, Mensa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

God, that looks terrible
I didnt eat at school because they charged ridiculous prices, plus you somehow had to register in advance if you were going to eat there, because they sucked at planning. I would just walk 5 minutes down the road to a supermarket and get stuff from there much cheaper.

Food at my uni is great, it always motivates me to get out of bed at least by 1 PM

>> No.4873184
File: 80 KB, 500x375, 041709_pie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4873172

>> No.4873193

The farther south you go, the more shitter the school lunches are, seriously the lunches are incredibly shitty, and they expect you to pay almost 3.00 for it. They only repeal that for castro-niggers

>> No.4873196
File: 166 KB, 1356x694, Picture 13.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4873145
heads up- menus are usually listed on the school district's site and not on the individual school's page

>best day
chili cheese fries

>worst day
none, seriously my school lunches were great because my district had a huge budget

>> No.4873198

shitty school lunches made me learn to be a laboring ontrapanour to bad shitty government politics got me disabled before i was about to control a bunch of stuff. fuck the shitty government employies that take advantage of having the government and state bar back them up plus all the paper work you can never finishthat the government forces you to do if you have a problem with it.

>> No.4873211

>>4873067
if you manage to get in school suspension were you are not allowed to go to class but have to sit in a room all day you will learn that you can do an entire days worth of school work in less the 45 minutes and get an A

>> No.4873225
File: 1.26 MB, 979x1059, food.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom gave me $3 a day for lunch since middle school. $1 spared for water / snapple / gatorade / milk, whatever I felt like having.

The sandwiches were great, usually had them if I didn't get anything below.
Spaghetti was tolerable
Tacos were meh, ate them anyways
Cheesesteaks and Meatball Subs were god tier.
Pizza was also meh, if I only had $1 that day, I'd get a slice, if not then just fries.

Even before homeroom in high school started the cafeteria was open for coffee and bagels for the people who got to school early and didn't eat breakfast. I loved it.

>>4873211
ISS was great. Comfortably quiet and you get to hang out with bro teachers sometimes who come and watch. Send you to the cafeteria/locker at lunch period and bring your styrofoam tray / lunchbag back to the classroom.

>> No.4873228

>>4873067

I basically had the spicy chicken sandwich every day. Don't know what it was really made of or whatever, but holy jesus fuck was it good. It was just a plain chicken patty but with hot spices on it and damn did it taste great with sauce.

Other good days were chicken tenders with smiley fries or potato wedges, or just buying a shit ton of snack food from the snack shack

Bad days were that diced turkey mixed into mashed potatoes and covered in that suspicious gravy, or the half of a whole chicken they "barbecued" and it still had all the bones in it, yeesh.

>> No.4873229

>>4873198
They also apparently made you retarded

>> No.4873269

>>4873229
so retarded they tried to make it illegal for me to have money. its sad because i want to sell you pure awesomeness for a price you can EASILY afford

>> No.4873308

>>4873269
Sounds like a great pitch for a pyramid scheme.

>> No.4873509
File: 353 KB, 1060x818, lunch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4873145
>all of it still looks good
I wonder if it tastes just as good.

>> No.4873514

>>4873211
I spent a day in ISS (I forget why, something stupid). Was the best.
>no fucktards screaming
>all my work brought to me
>everything done crazy early
I don't know why I just didn't get in trouble more often...

>> No.4873534

>>4873514
Yeah, ISS was awesome if you like being alone, in quiet. I would have gotten in trouble more often but I wasn't sure the level of penalizations were. Like, if I cut class, I wasn't sure if I was going to get suspended or put in ISS. So I was well-behaved for the most part.

>> No.4873549
File: 22 KB, 320x214, pizza[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just want a place I can buy this to see if I actually did like it or if it's pure nostalgia.

>> No.4873598
File: 35 KB, 1077x544, oct lunch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4873145

Here's some from my elementary school.

>best day
kalua pork, cabbage, steamed rice, lomi tomato (lol), with pineapple chunks and portuguese sweet bread

>worst day
everyday is the most enjoyable day

>> No.4873600

>>4873549
NOSTALGA'D

>> No.4873615
File: 135 KB, 720x556, 43.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im 5 Years removed and holy fuck the menu is 100X better.
>Anything with an X didn't exist back then
>Menu rotated between Nachos, Chicken ____, Swedish Meatballs, Pizza, and Veal Patties that were gross as fuck.
>Chicken and Waffles day was beyond got tier, they even extended lunch

Fuck these kids, shit they eat better than we do at our University Commissary

>> No.4873617

pretty godawful but i'm crazy about jamaican beef patties now, so i'm grateful for that

>> No.4873620

I got free school lunch but I was a picky little bastard and so I'd just not eat most days. I got used to eating a ton when I got home at 5, exhausted. There's a reason I was 180 lbs and 5'5".

>> No.4873628

>>4873169
When I was in elementary school, kids that brought lunches from home usually had some variation of:
- a package of uncooked Top Ramen
- Lunchables
- bag of candy/chips
- soda
So I can see why they want kids to eat school food, it might have slightly more nutritional value

>> No.4873630

>>4873628
My lunch was banana+mayonnaise sandwiches when I was a kid. I remember really liking them at the time but now the thought of them makes me sick.

Then I ate mostly tuna sandwiches until middle school. The bread would get soggy from the tuna sitting there for hours, but I liked it better that way. Tuna sandwiches with dry bread tasted weird to me for a very long time.

>> No.4873647 [DELETED] 

Today's menu:
Elementary Lunch:
Hard Shell Taco
Shredded Cheese, Lettuce, Black Olives,
Diced Tomatoes, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce
Mexi Corn & Black Beans
Chips & Salsa
Chilled Pear Slices
1% or Skim Milk
2nd Choice:
WG Mini Italian Sub
High School Lunch:
BBQ Sloppy Joe/ WG Bun
WG Spaghetti/Meat Sauce/WG Roll Mar
Cheese Quesadilla
Hot Chicken Caesar Wrap
Salad Bar With: WG Roll/Margarine
Cheesy Broccoli Soup/Saltine Crackers
Seasoned Garlic Green Beans
Spinach Salad Raspberry Vinaigrette
Choice of Fresh or Canned Fruit
Milk Skim, 1% White FF Chocolate
Middle School lunch:
Cheesy Garlic Flat Bread with Sauce
or Chili Bowl WG Roll/margarine
or WW PBJ Uncrustable
Parsley Carrots Try Me: Brussel Sprouts
Fresh Salad Bar
Assorted Dressing
Choice of Fruit
Milk: 1% White, Skim White, FF Chocolate

> TFW nothing has changed except they now call cheese fries 'cheesy flat bread with sauce' to make it sound healthier.

Goddamn I want me cheese fries and marinara sauce.

>> No.4873689

Today's menu:
Elementary Lunch:
Hard Shell Taco
Shredded Cheese, Lettuce, Black Olives,
Diced Tomatoes, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce
Mexi Corn & Black Beans
Chips & Salsa
Chilled Pear Slices
1% or Skim Milk
2nd Choice:
WG Mini Italian Sub
High School Lunch:
BBQ Sloppy Joe/ WG Bun
Cheese Quesadilla
Hot Chicken Caesar Wrap
Salad Bar With: WG Roll/Margarine
Cheesy Broccoli Soup/Saltine Crackers
Seasoned Garlic Green Beans
Spinach Salad Raspberry Vinaigrette
Choice of Fresh or Canned Fruit
Milk Skim, 1% White FF Chocolate
Middle School lunch:
Cheesy Garlic Flat Bread with Sauce
or Chili Bowl WG Roll/margarine
or WW PBJ Uncrustable
Parsley Carrots Try Me: Brussel Sprouts
Fresh Salad Bar
Assorted Dressing
Choice of Fruit
Milk: 1% White, Skim White, FF Chocolate

> TFW nothing has changed except they now call cheese fries 'cheesy flat bread with sauce' to make it sound healthier.

Goddamn I want me cheese fries and marinara sauce.

>> No.4873744

I remember being in kindergarten we would have a breakfast meal in the cafeteria and it usually was sausage, a rectangle waffle and maple syrup. thats when i learned dipping sausage in maple syrup was great

>> No.4873960
File: 83 KB, 600x343, i-zgNx66C-M.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm kinda shocked reading these menus you've posted. Regards from Finland, pic related. The food was amazing for all of 12 years of school. And it's free, you can take as much as you want.

>> No.4873964

>>4873960
those cucumbers oh god
infinitely better than the shit local schools served

>> No.4873977

>>4873960
Would devour the shit out of the veggie noodle hotdog soup.

>> No.4873995

>>4873960
While I have no doubt that soup is tasty and infinitely better than the food in our schools, it looks like when I threw up chili dogs in 5th grade when I had a stomach virus. Looks. exactly. like it.

>> No.4874012

Pretty much the average shitty stuff in k-8. My parents were frugalfag and made me take my lunch anyway. Made me totally butthurt at the time, but I probably wasn't missing out on anything.

First high school I went to, the food in the main line was even more dire, but they had a junk food window set up right next to the main line, so I just had nachos and ice cream and shit every day for lunch. Parents still didn't give me any lunch money, but I had a job.

Second high school was about the same. One main line for the subsidized hot meal, one ala carte junk food line. Pizza was actually breddy good, but I think it was the only thing I ever got from the hot line. Senior year, they introduced a build-your-own combo feature, so I could get a shitton of junk food for $2.50 as long as there was technically a dairy and veggie in there. Shit was so cash.

>> No.4874608
File: 158 KB, 719x818, ss (2013-10-16 at 12.55.24).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the fucking fuck, not only does all of this sound better than what I got when I was going there, they get breakfast too? Why does this make me so mad?

>> No.4874611

None of the schools I went to served lunch.

>> No.4874616

I joined my 1st grader nephew for lunch at his school's cafeteria about a month or so ago. It was nuggers over rice in some kind of crazy sweet orange sauce, broccoli in a ranch like dipping sauce (also sweet) and canned pineapple. The drink was apple juice. By the time I finished my teeth felt coated with sugar.

I easily consumed more sugar eating a kid sized portion of this meal than I normally do in a day.

I usually brought a bag lunch to school, but I don't remember the food being quite so sweet when I was young. (I do remember it being greasier, though).

>> No.4874650
File: 96 KB, 571x402, school dinner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a sample menu from my secondary school - doesn't look like it's changed too much since I was there. It was very typical school dinner stuff, nothing fancy but it was mostly quite nice and I can't remember anything that was terrible.