[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 140 KB, 1279x960, alcohol is humanity's friend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4870428 No.4870428[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

This is an alcohol thread. Come in and post/discuss what you're drinking now, and what your favorites are (inb4 ethyl). All drink preferences welcome- anyone who would use the word 'pleb' in conversation can just stay out. This is about discussing what we enjoy and maybe finding some new drinks to look for, not being dicks because somebody hasn't drunk any 50-year-old scotch whisky this week.

>> No.4870431

>discussing alcohol on 4chan

Pleb.

>> No.4870434

>not drinking 50yo Islay Scotch for breakfast 7 times a week

plob

>> No.4870437
File: 190 KB, 569x886, Schloss_Eggenberg_Urbock_23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related is my favourite beer.
I like Tito's vodka.
I don't know anything about tequila or whiskey, but I once traded a gift card to a Mormon who won $500 worth of alcohol as a door prize at a company party and got some Basil Hayden's that I thought was pretty good. I've had no other whiskey and I don't know what any of the descriptions people use for whiskey mean, though.
I'm not well-versed in any alcohol, actually, but I like more beers than other stuff.

>> No.4870436

I drink whisky. Not overly picky about what kind because I drink to get drunk frankly. I'd like to try to single malts some day though.

>> No.4870451

>>4870437
No problem with that man, beer is great stuff, and Tito's is god-tier vodka.

If you're interested in trying whiskey, Basil Hayden's is a pretty rye-heavy bourbon, so you'd probably enjoy other similar bourbons or straight rye whiskey; for bourbon, something like wild turkey kentucky spirit, elmer t. lee, or elijah craig 12 would be a good place to start, and if you're trying rye I'd definitely recommend rittenhouse 100 as a good starting whiskey, along with some slightly more expensive ryes like whistlepig or high west.

>>4870434
lol

>> No.4870461

>>4870451
Thank you for the suggestions!
Might I ask what the descriptions people use for whiskey (and only whiskey) mean to the layman? Such as "peaty" or "woody?" I can't wrap my brain around chewing on a piece of oak or nibbling on lichens.

>> No.4870463
File: 2.76 MB, 3872x2592, google_image_search.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ribeira Sacra for tonight. Haven't opened the bottle yet. Also pleb pleb pleb.

>> No.4870468

I'm thinking about applying for a job as a bartender at a chain hotel

how bad could it be?

>> No.4870492

>>4870461
Yeah that can be weird at first until you've drunk a few different whiskies and sort of gotten your bearings. First off, peat is really a love it or hate it thing, and don't feel pressured to keep drinking peaty whisky if you don't like it- some of the whisky snobs on /ck/ love to exalt super-peaty whisky but really it's just about preference, no different than, say, really hoppy beer. Whisky that's peated has the barley roasted over peat moss, which imparts a really unique and unusual flavor and aroma to it. Best I can describe it is like a mix of smoke, herbs, and a sort of medicinal/iodine flavor. Depending on how the peat is integrated, the smoke part or the medicinal part can become more prevalent. Peaty whisky is usually from the Islay region of Scotland, as well, which tends to result in some sea salt/brine flavors appearing if the whisky is aged long.

Woody flavors result from flavorful compounds being drawn out of the barrel by the spirit. If you think about what slightly toasted wood smells like, that's the aroma/flavor you get out of it generally; exactly what flavors the wood imparts depends on what kind of wood it is. Bourbon has to be aged in new-make, charred American oak casks, for instance- American oak tends to give off flavors like vanilla and baking spices, while the char flavors the whisky with flavors like charred wood. The fact that the barrels are new also means that bourbon tends to pick up a lot more wood flavors than other spirits, which are often aged in barrels that previously held another spirit. Ex-sherry casks are quite popular for aging scotches in, for instance. The choice of what spirit used to be in the cask a whisky is aged in will result in the whisky picking up some flavors from that spirit, with more of the flavor being picked up the longer the whisky ages.

Whisky that's aged a long time also tends to develop aromas and flavors you'd associate with old rooms- leather and tobacco, for instance.

>> No.4870511

>>4870468
Depends on the hotel chain. Unless it's a super hip place where they're going to be picky, it's probably going to be a good place to learn without a lot of pressure. If it's a more upscale hotel that isn't catering to hipsters, they'll just have more expensive stuff but still slow paced and the fact that it's a hotel tends to weed out the annoying kids. If it is one of those places that styles itself as a hip local drinking spot, all bets are off, as you'll be getting locals looking for a good time.

>> No.4870512

>>4870492
Quite the exhaustive explanation, thank you! I don't know how much I'd like the flavour of an old leather chair, though.
As I understand, rye whiskeys are particularly a speciality of the Americas, yeah? So if I like BH, I should stick to American/Canadian ones only?

>> No.4870508
File: 8 KB, 298x300, Whisky-Glass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870492
Nicely spoken.

pleb

>> No.4870526

>>4870511
>Unless it's a super hip place where they're going to be picky, it's probably going to be a good place to learn without a lot of pressure

It's a Quality Inn in a college town, so I assume this is basically it.

I don't have any experience tending except some CAMRA festivals I volunteered at when I was in the UK, so I'm hoping for a place to learn (stuff that I haven't taught myself; I bought a bar spoon and watched some videos, etc for drinks I mix for myself)

>> No.4870540
File: 238 KB, 1280x850, 1354252396448.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I bought a bottle of Famous Grouse scotch. I have a shot every morning.

How does it stack up to other scotch? I was told to coat the inside of the glass with my finger and then hold it in my mouth for a second as the "proper" way of drinking it. Is that just bullshit or what?

>> No.4870544

>>4870431
>>4870434
>>4870508
I guess I set myself up for this didn't I.

Anyway, the most recent drink I had was a glass of Glenlivet Nadurra I picked up for Canadian thanksgiving. As for favorites...

>Beer:
Love dark beer, especially imperial stout. My favorite is probably a local licorice imperial stout from a brewery called Howe Sound.
>Scotch whisky, unpeated:
Balvenie Tun 1401
>Scotch whisky, peated:
Probably Talisker 18
>Irish whiskey
Tyrconnel or Redbreast 15. Don't drink much Irish whiskey to be honest, but both of those were really good.
>Bourbon
Either George T. Stagg or older Willett Estate.
>Rye
Masterson's or Whistlepig. Hoping to try some Thomas H. Handy Sazerac soon.
>Sipping rum
Not nearly as experienced with this as with whisk(e)y. I'd probably go with El Dorado 21 or Ron Cartavio.
>Tequila
I have no idea, I'm a total novice with this stuff.
>Vodka
Again, no idea, I don't really buy vodka.
>Brandy
Darroze 1971 armagnac. Jesus that shit was great.

>> No.4870548
File: 54 KB, 433x640, the-standard-hotel-new-york-city.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870526

I was thinking more like a W or something along those lines.

From my experience with cheap motel bars in college towns, you'll be serving mostly straight shots of well liquor, pitchers, shot drinks (invent your own to impress sluts) and frat stuff (irish carbombs, etc). Occasionally you'll get a fedora who wants a mojito or something that he read about online that will make him feel euphoric, but aside from that the only pressure will be to serve as fast as possible.

>> No.4870557

>>4870540

Grouse isn't too bad for a blend. I like it better than JW Black but that's not saying much. They have an 18 year which is very tasty if you don't mind spending that much on blends (I'll leave it to scotchbro to give the Mr. Rogers explanation on blends).

As for the "proper" method I have no idea what you're talking about. I guess I'm a pleb.

>> No.4870559

>>4870540
Famous Grouse is the most popular whisky in Scotland, because it's an ok mid-low shelf blend that is pretty inexpensive (especially in the UK)

If you can get it, I highly recommend the Black Grouse line which is more like an Islay malt in character and costs about the same, maybe a bit more, but it's also very rare (at least near me, I've never seen it on shelves in the US).

Also whoever told you the thing with the finger is putting you on. The "proper" way to drink a scotch you want to really appreciate is just to pour it into a suitable, clean glass like the one in >>4870508, but the difference in glass is pretty minor in my experience and only affects the bouquet. hold it up to the light to appreciate the luster, smell it, take a small sip, add water until it's to your liking.

There's a bit of ritual to that but it really is a nice way to do things. Of course if you're in a bar or whatever I usually just smell it a bit then drink, straight (you could ask for a glass of water with your drink, but the one time I did that they just watered down the whisky before serving, and way too much, so I don't do that anymore)

>> No.4870566

>>4870548
Thanks for the advice. Sounds a bit eh but should be an ok place to start

>> No.4870583

>>4870512
Yeah, generally rye is from north america, and bourbon has to be from the states legally. Also some of the flavors that you get in whiskey that might sound really odd or even unpleasant by themselves are actually really interesting and enjoyable when they're integrated into the rest of the flavors. Depends on personal preference, though, and there's certainly a risk of overdoing some of those strange flavors. Whisky can definitely become 'over-aged' if it's left in the cask too long, and become too dry and bitter. Generally speaking, 'fresh' flavors like fresh fruit, grassy notes, pepper/ginger, herbs, floral notes, etc. tend to be more prevalent in younger whiskey, and as the whiskey is aged, richer, darker, more aged notes like dried fruit, toffee, vanilla, wood, tobacco, baking spices, and nuts tend to start to grow as the fresher notes fade. Most whiskey has a particular point where the balance is right between the youthful vibrancy and the more elegant, rich flavors it develops as it ages; the conditions under which it's aged as well as the original distillate determines where that balance is. Honestly, though, the main thing for whiskey is just to find what you like and enjoy it. It's meant to be enjoyed, so don't let other people's opinion of what's good and what isn't dictate what you drink. There's a lot of variety to explore out there.

>> No.4870618
File: 174 KB, 879x1200, mojito.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870548
>fedora who wants a mojito

Don't diss the mojito like that, mojito top tier

>> No.4870634

>>4870540
Grouse isn't bad for a blend, honestly. Generally single malts are a fair step up from blends (not always, but usually), but are a fair bit more expensive for it. The primary reason for this is difference of intent. Blends, generally speaking, are designed for and marketed to people looking for either an inexpensive whisky to take shots of or mix, or people who want something very easy to drink and accessible. There are exceptions, of course, but that's the general idea. Single malts tend to focus more on being a sipping beverage, and as such they are generally nicer, but also quite a bit more expensive. There are some pretty expensive blends out there, of course (I'm looking at you, Johnnie Walker Blue Label) but very rarely are they worth the price- most of what you're paying is for the brand/image, and you can usually get a far better drink at a lower price in that case by going with a single malt.

As far as the 'proper' way of drinking it, >>4870559
this anon is right. Just go get yourself a good glass (Glencairn glasses like the one he links to are ideal, but any glass that slopes inward towards the top would be fine), keep it clean, and take your time with it, as whiskey of any sort typically changes and opens up over time in the glass. You can also add a little bit of room-temperature water to it if you like. Usually you only need a tiny bit to open the whiskey up and tame the alcohol burn. Ice is to be avoided in my opinion, not so much because it dilutes the whiskey but because it chills it, which mutes the flavor and smell.

Of course as I've said before, the point of whisk(e)y is to enjoy it, so the real 'proper way' to drink it is however you like it best.

>> No.4870637
File: 8 KB, 170x220, p.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870618

I love mojitos and I love martinis. They're still sperg drinks.

I'm not going to stop drinking cognac either, but facts are facts.

>> No.4870654

>>4870637
Fedora's can't afford cognac, let alone pronounce it properly.

>> No.4870656
File: 1017 KB, 500x237, Cant-Afford-Me-Liv.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870654

Fedora's aren't the ones drinking it. Also the correct pronunciation is "yack".

>> No.4870657

>>4870637
Cognac is currently associated with rappers I think

>> No.4870685

>>4870657
If by rappers you mean young dark skinned ethnic minorities with more money than they can spend responsibly. I'm not sure why you would stereotype them all as being rappers though, to me that comes across as being racist.

>> No.4870701

>>4870685
Well Nas talks about Hennessey a lot, and it was namedropped in The Chronic

I guess that's 80s-90s shit so I'm probably behind on current stereotypes

>> No.4870705
File: 8 KB, 413x276, alc-423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go to liqour store
>cointreau, preferred tequila, hendricks are all on sale (stars have aligned)
>purchase all of them
>get in car
>one of tequila bottles (two purchased) breaks
>spills all over fabric seat
>car smells like I am an alcoholic
>out $32
>feel shame

on the plus side this margarita with fresh lime juice and cointreau is fucking delicious

>> No.4870712

>>4870685

Yeah, I think it's a rap sort of thing, which in turn influences a lot of the African American population.

While I don't listen to that much rap, I do enjoy some Cognac, on occasion.

>> No.4870714

>>4870468
Hotel guest here (over 100 nights in hotels this year and plenty of bar time), most of us are looking for beer on tap/bottled or wine (super easy) or a simple cocktail (gin & tonic, vodka & tonic, martini, etc.)...

Most of us don't look for complex shit.

Most bars claim to fresh mix everything but having observed and having gotten friendly with hotel bartenders most things are premixed (margarita mix).

Mojito orders and such are rare.

>> No.4870733

>>4870701

If you're talking about current fads among African American music culture, moscato is the thing. Not sure who made it popular.

Cognac goes back well before the 90s though and it isn't going anywhere. It's a common sight in 70s blaxploitation films and it probably predates those.

>> No.4871040

I found out today that if you put the cap back on a Bud Light Platinum, it will still be bearable 2 days later.

>> No.4871083
File: 17 KB, 350x416, an hero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870733
>moscato

Thats what I get a random suggestion for from the alchie at the booze garage when I want to get a bitch drunk and put the hotdog in the chili-bun. Do the true gorillas, the true niggas really drink that? I'm starting to think the blacks have gone soft on us, I don't hear near as many gunfights as I used to. And now, they're drinking motherfucking MOSCATO? Might as well just give up the guns, forget anything about cognac and malt liquor, and go ahead and stop committing violent crimes while they're at it.

Moscato is a drink to be served to ripe pussy, and anyone who drinks it is a blue-rare ripe pussy. True niggas drink and serve malt liquor, whiskey, moonshine, and cognac if they didn't waste the rest on vidya and shitty weed.

>> No.4871098
File: 37 KB, 600x400, 52.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4871083

Welcome to 2013. While we're at it, ask your grandson about "twerking".

>> No.4871146

I just turned 21 a couple days ago

what's the cheapest brandy or whiskey that tastes decent to sip on? Is there a cheap brand of applejack out there?

>> No.4871163

>>4871146
>Brandy
Romate Solera Reserva is less horrible than you might expect for something so cheap
>Whiskey
Evan Williams Single Barrel and Eagle Rare 10 are surprisingly good
>there a cheap brand of applejack
Applejack is for hipster historical spirit enthusiasts, not 21 year olds looking for a cheap smooth drink. You won't enjoy it, stick with rum and bourbon if you want easy drinking for under $30.

>> No.4871188

>>4871163
thanks for the advice, I will avoid the applejack

>> No.4871195
File: 32 KB, 200x268, 585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite drink is currently Ginger Beer + Vodka + Lime Juice.

Too delicious. Pic related is great ginger beer.

>> No.4871555

>>4870463
>Ribeira Sacra
Hmm, interesting. I've had some Spanish wines I've really liked, but never that. What's it like?

>> No.4871571

>>4871163
ITT
You don't know dick shit about whiskey or bourbon. Saying Eagle Rare 10 is surprisingly good is just ignorant. Its expected to be good you fucking pleb.
Jameson
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Evans Williams 2003 Vintage
Weller 12 year (very similar to Pappy van Winkle I'm told)

Yeah try again and don't act like you know shit about whiskey.

>> No.4871616
File: 1.43 MB, 2026x2700, best whisky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've just finished 5 night shifts. I now have 3 days off. It's 8am here in England and I'm rewarding myself with a glass of (see pic). Best way to drink it is room temperature with nothing added: no ice, no mixers. I'll probably have 3-4 generous glasses and drift off into a warm, comforting sleep.

>> No.4871627

>>4870526

Contrary to what the other guy said, I don't think you're going to get a lot of college people going to the Quality Inn just to drink. I don't even think a random hotel would show up on a list of places a group of college friends would want to go out. It will probably be parents or out of town guests (people visiting the school or maybe other professors) stopping by the bar to get an easy, basic drink.

>> No.4871636
File: 34 KB, 500x500, glenmorangie sonnalta PX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4871616
Glenmorangie makes some pretty amazing whisky, especially for what you pay for it. Their extra-matured bottlings are all pretty great imo- if you have the chance to try any of them, go for it. I'm still trying to find another bottle of their Sonnalta PX, it was fucking amazing. Pic related.

>> No.4871661

My favorite whisky of the moment is Evan Williams Single Barrel. It can be a bit hit-and-miss batch to batch, but it's quite good bang-for-buck.

White whiskeys are nice too.

As for Scotch, cask strength or get the FUCK out. Aberlour A'bunadh is my first pick.

>> No.4871673

>>4871661
Cask strength is a definite plus imo, I wish it were more common than it is. I always try to look out for whiskey that isn't chill filtered as well; the tradeoff of losing complexity and depth of flavor in return for slightly increased clarity and not having the whiskey cloud if you add water/ice is a pretty terrible idea if you ask me.

By the way, if you like cask-strength whiskey and also bourbon, a good one to look out for is Booker's. Cask strength, non-chill filtered bourbon usually bottled at 120 proof or higher (last bottle of it I bought was 130). It's pretty fantastic stuff, and at least where I live it's not that much more expensive than EW single barrel.

>> No.4871685

Found a bottle of Vermouth and some Ginger Ale going through the fridge after some guests left. They were staying in an airBnB studio separate from the rest of the house, and nobody in the house drinks. Now to pour it down the drain.

>> No.4871691
File: 20 KB, 202x300, not half bad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Off the top of my head, the only shit I've tried is Heineken, Shiner, PBR, Arrogant Bastard, and the usual -weisers and -lites.

Hein and Shiner are my favorite.

As far as hard liquour, I've had some Smirnoff Vodka, JD, and Seagrams Dark Honey, and Sake.

Not sure where to go from now. Scotch? Bourbon? Better Whiskey?

Shit man.

>> No.4871717

Just recently started liking St. Germain. That and some gin makes a good drink i think.

>> No.4871725

>>4871691
Really depends on what your tastes are. If you don't know/haven't tried many hard liquors, my suggestion would be to go figure out a style you want to try, then go pick up a cheap-but-drinkable bottle of it and try it to see what you think. If you don't like it, try a different style at least for now- you might come back and try a different example of that first style and love it, but it'll be easier once you've got your bearings a bit.

The only hard liquors I have any real experience with are whisk(e)y, rum and brandy, so I'll stick to those. Whisk(e)y breaks down into four main categories: rye, bourbon, and irish, which spell the word whiskey, and scotch, which uses whisky. I don't really care about this so I'll just use whiskey as it's right 3/4 of the time, but some people on this board get pissed when you use the wrong spelling. Bourbon is generally the sweetest and richest whiskey. It's also typically pretty strong, both in terms of alcohol strength and wood influence. Rye is a fair bit less rich, and tends to be quite spicy/herbal, with flavors like pepper, mint, licorice, cinnamon, and cloves being quite common. Scotch ranges quite a bit, but it's generally less sweet/rich and less wood influenced than bourbon, and less spicy than rye. Scotch often features more fruit flavors than other whiskey types, and some of it (usually from the Islay region) is peated, which imparts a quite powerful smoky/medicinal flavor some people find really appealing and some people hate. Irish whiskey is a malt whiskey like scotch, but due to differences in how it's distilled, it's typically 'fresher' and lighter than a lot of scotch, at least in my experience.

Continued in next post I guess

>> No.4871742

>>4871725
Good sipping rum should be aged no less than 10 years in my opinion; younger than that and it tends to be harsh. Typical rum is made from molasses, and ranges from light and fruity-sweet to dark and intense depending on the region it's from and how long it's aged for. Agricole rum, however, is made from fresh sugarcane juice, and is quite different in flavor- far lighter, and less sweet. Agricole rum is not the same as white rum, which is basically underaged regular rum that is put through a process to remove the dark color from it. Most white rum is pretty substandard compared to good aged rum or agricole.

Brandy has a fuck ton of different varieties, made from all different kinds of fruit, but of the ones I've tried my favorites by far are french wine brandies, namely cognac and armagnac. Both are extremely good, but armagnac is what I'd suggest for you because while it's quite similar to cognac in terms of flavor and quality, it doesn't have the same recognizable brands or popular opinion, so it's way cheaper. Cognac and armagnac can often be described as being somewhat like aged rum, but more subtle and less sweet.

If any of those types of liquor sound good to you, my next post will be recommended bottles to try.

>> No.4871762

>>4871742
Recommendations:
>bourbon:
Elijah Craig 12, Elmer T. Lee, Evan Williams single barrel, Woodford reserve, WL Weller 12-year, Knob Creek single barrel
>rye:
Rittenhouse 100 is a great place to start. Other good ryes at a reasonable price include Sazerac 6, Whistlepig, and Bulleit rye.
>Unpeated scotch:
Glenmorangie 10 original, Glenfiddich 15 solera, Glenfarclas 15, Glendronach 15 revival, Dalmore 12
>Peated scotch
Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, Caol Ila 12, Lagavulin 12, Laphroaig 10 if peat really sounds good to you
>Irish
Redbreast 12 is the perfect beginner's irish whiskey imo; reasonably affordable, high-quality, and not a blend.

>Sipping rum
Cruzan single barrel, Diplomatico reserva, El Dorado 12 (the 15 and 21-year El Dorados are both absolutely fantastic rums), Mount Gay XO, Pampero Anniversario
>Brandy
Really depends on what you're willing to pay. In general the older you buy the better it will be with brandy. Darroze armagnac is some of my favorite.

>> No.4871768
File: 1013 KB, 187x174, virtual cheers.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4871616
>>4871636
Also congrats on the days off, enjoy the time off. Cheers!

>> No.4871781

>>4871762
Damn, some extensive advice anon. I'll probably jump into the bourbon territory you listed and try a couple of those first neat. Sounds like good stuff. I'll have to save these posts

>> No.4871785

>>4871781
No problem man, hope that it helps and good luck with your first foray into whiskey.

>> No.4871845

>>4871781
Oh and one other thing I guess I can comment on if you're going to be looking into bourbon/other whiskey: things to look for in a bottle.

Generally when I'm looking to buy a bottle of whiskey I've never tried before, I'll look on a website with user reviews (whiskyconnosr is one) to see what, on average, people think of it. There are a few particular things that are pretty well always positives though that you can usually find out just by looking at the label on the bottle.

>single barrel
Common for bourbons but rare for other whiskey. Single barrel whiskey comes, unsurprisingly, from one barrel, whereas most bottles are made up of a blend of many barrels. Single barrel whiskeys are more variable in flavor bottle to bottle, but tend to be higher quality and more complex, as the blending process 'averages out' the whiskey, causing the loss of some subtle characteristics, and the barrels used for SB whiskey tend to be chosen carefully for quality.
>non chill filtered
Chill filtration causes a whiskey to be clearer and not cloud when ice or water is added, but it strips some delicate flavor compounds resulting in a loss if complexity. Bottles that forgo this step are a definite plus.
>bottled at high proof or, better yet, cask strength
The higher the alcohol content of a bottle of whiskey, the stronger its flavors will be and the less dilute it is. Cask strength whiskey is bottled at whatever strength it emerged from the cask at, giving it the strongest, richest flavors it can have.
>natural color
This isn't an issue for bourbon as additives aren't permitted, but in other styles of whiskey, some are colored with a caramel coloring compound called E150 to make them look older and more appealing. Some people say this makes no difference but in my opinion it imparts a slight acrid/bitter taste. Bottles that don't use it are a definite plus

>> No.4871984

>>4871571
>Its expected to be good you fucking pleb.

Most 21 year olds are looking at the back cover of Maxim where they see Maker's and Knob Creek advertised. If you didn't know any better you'd think it would be necessary to spend more to get an improvement in taste, whereas in some cases you can get it by spending less. That's why it's surprisingly good.

But I see you threw Jameson in there and made a comparison based on third hand opinions, so I'm replying to a troll. 9/10 well done.

>> No.4871990

Everyone in this thread sure knows a lot about poison.

>> No.4871994
File: 110 KB, 311x234, 1373746808060.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4871762

This list screams "I have to shop at government micromanaged liquor stores". LCBO? PLCB? Which totalitarian regime do you live under?

>> No.4872034

Drinking Heather mist, some cheap scotch, pretty light, I don't mind it, and for it's 4$ less than average, it's pretty damned good.

>> No.4872173

>>4871555
it was good. quite a contrast to the stereotypical Spanish reds (rioja, ribera del Duero, priorat, catalayud). more like a northern latitude red wine.

>> No.4872340

>>4871994
Live in BC so it's the provincial liquor store (which should be able to get whatever liquor it wants considering it's one of the largest single liquor buyers in the entire world, but we'll not go there...)

Besides that, I was mainly just trying to recommend bottles that would be available to pretty much anyone, considering I have no idea where the person I'm replying to lives or what exactly is available there.

>> No.4872355
File: 56 KB, 1000x700, SHVB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This fine stuff right here.
It's regional, it's the right season and it tastes great.

>> No.4872408
File: 112 KB, 499x666, hoegaarden_beer_ck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My psych gave me Campral to stop drinking.

I don't even know if they work, i don't even know what the cravings feel like. It's not like smoking.

Im on anti-depressents and ive admittedly asked for a stronger dose to combat the effects of alcohol on the meds.

itt: can u become an alcoholic in 8 months?

>> No.4872496
File: 136 KB, 1024x766, spaten-oktoberfest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just finished up some Spaten Oktoberfest.

>> No.4872514

>>4871781

Evan Williams is one of my favorite bourbons. It isn't garbage rotgut bourbon, but it also isn't overly expensive and complex. It is a nice middle ground bourbon.

I've not tried their small batch single barrel stuff, but I have heard it is better than the standard version of EW which I tend to purchase.

>> No.4872531
File: 111 KB, 600x600, haitian-rum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870544

Hey guy, if you're looking for a good sipping rum I would go for an 8 year Rhum Barbancourt. It's probably the only good thing to come out of Haiti. They ferment and age from the actual sugar cane water, not the molasses, and they age it in white oak casks. It's awesome.

>> No.4872533

tried the samuel adams variety pack

octoberfest
pumpkin
ruby

rest were really meh

>> No.4872536

>>4872533
the hazel one was better than ruby*

>> No.4872554

>>4872531
Barbancourt makes some great rum, for sure. I just tend to prefer dark rum over agricole generally. Tried a glass of Clement XO once that was pretty fantastic but I can't seem to find it here.

>> No.4872555

>>4872531
seconding this. I'm also very surprised not to see zacapa 23 mentioned yet unless I missed something. it walks a fine line between deeply complex and candy sweet but nothing as insipid as a blackstrap style like you get out of some British islands. great intro to "real rum" that will please a snob and a pleb equally.

>> No.4872561

>>4872554
>dark rum over agricole

what do you mean by that. agricole refers to the mash not the color or the aging.

>> No.4872595

>>4872561
Dark rum is sometimes used as a sort of catch-all term for rum made from molasses rather than the juice of the sugarcane like agricole.

>>4872555
Zacapa 23 is a great rum as well.

>> No.4872625

>>4872595
I have never heard it used that way. since agricole is the odd one and since most molasses rum is light colored, it like it would get confusing.

>> No.4872672
File: 27 KB, 261x450, centenario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what du you say to this?

>> No.4872674

>>4870428
When I drink wine, my feet swell.
Why is this? I'm fine after drinking any other type of drinks.

>> No.4872686
File: 505 KB, 1600x1200, best broccoli.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870428
I'm drinking a glass of cheap red wine. I'm cooking a rich tomato sauce with my daughter and we added a splash. She's a vegetarian so we've made cous cous with purple sprouting broccoli and added the tomato sauce we made with some grated mature cheddar cheese on top. Served with crusty homemade bread.The only difference is that I'm eating pork meatballs with my meal. And finishing off the bottle of cheap red. Purple sprouting broccoli is best broccoli. And red cheap red wine.

>> No.4872876

>>4872672
Haven't had that exact bottle but the centenario rum I've tried was really great, I'd imagine that would be good as well

>> No.4872991
File: 84 KB, 972x729, 83384751.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870544
>Tequila
>I have no idea, I'm a total novice with this stuff.
I don't know if they sell it outside México, but you could try Antiguo Origen, pretty good and surprisingly cheap.

>> No.4872996
File: 14 KB, 200x359, 200px-Grand_Marnier_Bottle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870705
I don't know I prefer Grand Marnier over Cointreau, too bad it's expensive as fuck around here.

>> No.4873062

>>4872991
Hmm, I haven't seen that before I don't think. I'll keep an eye out for it.

>> No.4873112
File: 40 KB, 300x450, aromatic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I fucking love bitters. Any kind, really, but especially the Old Fashioned (caps intended) mystery herbs style.

I don't drink a lot of the hard stuff when I'm at home by myself, which is usually, but goddamn give me some tonic and bitters over ice, with some kind of citrus to top it off. Delicious.

>> No.4873307
File: 65 KB, 500x495, 1364667609376.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870705
>buys his tequila two bottles at a time
>smells like i am an alcoholic
Smells like, huh? Suuuuure....
It's ok, I am too, bro.

>> No.4873318
File: 120 KB, 300x250, FDEl0NGV5UqUzK6NtsCUOA2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4870705
>>4873307

It's ok the nice helpful lady at the new liquor store now just goes emotionless and service mode when I walk in now. She was all friendly for my first 5 or 6 visits but she started to notice how much I buy each week and she figured it out. She knows. They all know.

>> No.4873328

>>4873318
That's why you go to another store every other time brah.

>> No.4873335

>>4873328
I did that for a while but then I stopped caring. Well, I still care a little, but not enough to go out of my way.

At some point I'll probably stop sneaking out the bottles in small batches and just waltz out with a huge ass bag of empties in full view of my neighbors every time it's time to take out the recycling.