[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 135 KB, 1150x859, SonicDriveIn-Menu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4867669 No.4867669[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Got to thinking. In this day of self-checkouts and electronic currency, Why doesn't sonic, and other fast food places use electronic ordering menus? Sonic for example.. Just pull up, punch the screen a few times, swipe your card and a carhop strolls out to give you your food and a bj. Like the grocery stores they can cut back on staff and save money.

I was going to say something about not even needing the carhops at sonic, as they could deliver the food like the chutes at the drive-through banks, but realized that might not be such a great idea.

>> No.4867674

>>4867669
Probably because sonic is going for the old fashioned drive in thing, theres nothing old fashioned about a touch screen. I've seen places do what you are talking about though. In Texas we have these really cool gas stations called Buccee's, they have a deli and kitchen thing. There are little touch screen kiosks in front of it and you touch what you want and choose what toppings and stuff you want. Pretty cool.

>> No.4867672

Because systems like that require expensive development and support contracts and labor costs are pretty much insignificant.

>> No.4867678

>>4867672

Also, if you've ever seen the kind of retards who get confused with the self checkout kiosks, imagine a line of those kind of retards, in their cars. Now imagine having to have staff on hand smart enough to deal with helping idiots like that. Better just to pay a high school kid $6.75 an hour.

>> No.4867680

>>4867669
>bank chutes at fast food

that does sound pretty good except for shit you don't want to get mixed up, or shit like chili dogs. Oh and a flying coke I guess wouldn't be so good

>> No.4867682

>>4867669
>>4867680
I just had a full on jetsons vision.

>> No.4867690

>>4867669
those self checkouts are pissing me off. I always have something that requires an attendant to come over and clear (alcohol, glue, insense, etc.) and they're always dealing with someone who can't figure the machine out.

And because they put these in, they abandon the other 30 checkout sand only leave one open which is packed all the time. son of a bitch

>> No.4867697

>>4867680

In WI, we have a place called tom's drive in that has a second lane with a tray conveyor thing that delivers all your food.

>> No.4867709

used to have that 'special' friend that thought when you push the button you talk to someone at sonic headquarters and he relays your order to the local store you were at

what a fucking retard

>> No.4867720

>>4867669
>Eating in your car
pleb as fuck

>> No.4867728

>>4867720
why not? If I can save time and eat while on my way somewhere that's time I can spend doing something else

>> No.4867739

>>4867669

>give you your food and a bj

these are exactly the only things in life that I want

Step up, corporate America

>> No.4867760

>>4867739
I got a bj while watching sportscenter once

was nice

if I had a sandwich, it would of been perfect

>> No.4867766

>>4867760
I got one once while watching the credits of Austin Powers. I was just imagining it was Liz Hurley down there instead of my gf.

>> No.4867791

>>4867669
>they can cut back on staff and save money

Yeah, sure, let's make the whole unemployment problem WORSE just so you don't have to interact with people when ordering your $20 sonic meal for one.

Automatic systems are always a bad idea. Doesn't matter what industry. Doesn't matter how efficient. They're a bad idea because they take away jobs.

What's going to happen when 90% of the entry level jobs are automated? What happens to all the college kids that need extra money? What happens to the single mother who's trying to raise her kids and go to night school?

Stop killing the economy.

>> No.4867795

>>4867766
My first BJ was watching garden state. Aw yeah Natalie Portman... with an epilepsy helmet

>> No.4867801
File: 1.29 MB, 768x1006, moz-screenshot-16.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4867791
this thread is now luddite general

>> No.4867814

because niggers/spics/sand niggges/insert the people you hate here will break them

>> No.4867852

>>4867791

Unemployment is inevitable.

AUTOMATE EVERYTHING. ROBOT-SLAVE BASED ECONOMY FTW.

>> No.4867898

>>4867801
>pic
>being able to see both ends of the bottom left log at the same time

>> No.4867902

>>4867814
I hate whiteys.
Will they break them?

>> No.4867912

>>4867902
Depends on what side of the poverty line

>> No.4867936

>>4867678
This. God This. I always get stuck behind morons who can't l2read.

>> No.4867941

Jack in the Box around here used to have test stores with self-ordering touchscreen menus inside the dining rooms, a looong time ago.

The biggest problem, sadly, is that ordering your own food with a touchscreen was just too complicated for most people and they'd stand in front of them for like 15 minutes. Because the number of actual registers were reduced to encourage people to try the touchscreens lines would be backed up outside the door.

And, if you ever go to a theater, you'll find that people would rather stand in line for 15 minutes than use the touchscreen kiosks to buy tickets. Part of it's because the damn things are malfunctioning / won't read your card half the time and part of it is many people just can't figure them out.

>> No.4867945

i've never been to sonics
Can you give a "tip" for a tip?

>> No.4867966

>>4867941
lol. Fucking Jack in the Box.

They also tried outsourcing their drive-thru service a few years back by having the speaker and microphone relayed to people in India who'd take your order and input it. It made buying fast food more fucking difficult than Sprint's customer service.

>> No.4867973

>>4867791
Lol. The republican rhetoric that you're referring to isn't talking about shit minimum wage mcjobs which net a full time worker only $200 a week. They do fuck all for you and for the economy as a whole. Automating these awful wage slave positions which offer exactly zero opportunity for upward mobility allows for new higher paying jobs to be created in it's place. Such as the people who are paid livable wages to design, build, and support the automation. Fuck you.

>> No.4867994

>>4867690
QQ

>> No.4867999

>>4867709

But this really does happen.

>> No.4868005

>>4867966
>jack in the box

Probably because the only people that eat that crap are too stoned and/or drunk to perform basic functions.

>> No.4868009

>Like the grocery stores they can cut back on staff and save money.

Stupidest idea I seen in awhile. In an economy where people need jobs, the hell are you gonna downsize for? This is the reason America is in such a shithole anyway. Cutting positions and replacing them with robotic equipment was the worst thing that could have happened to us.

>> No.4868019

>>4867973
>Take away jobs that require zero skill or education
>Think these people will go on to bigger and better things
You're just going to create a demand for new retard-level jobs, because that's all a lot of people are capable of. In the meantime, you're going to massively increase unemployment. They won't just suddenly stop being useless because you want them to. There's a reason there are so many useless, soul crushing jobs out there.

>> No.4868031

It's a great idea OP, but it would never work.

Half of the guests wouldn't know what the fuck they're doing, and this would lead to crazy long lines and a drop in business.

>> No.4868039

/ck/ politics edition. Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich you faggots

>> No.4868055

>>4868039
lmao

>> No.4868058

I kinda want to put a cup of coke in one of those bank things and see what happens when I press send.

>> No.4868060

>>4867999

It happens at some McDonalds now.

Goes right to some call center or some shit who then transfer it to the kitchen (or whatever the fuck you want to classify it as).

I always found it odd that an old white guy took my orders at a new McDonalds but I never saw the guy. I finally asked and the woman that takes the money said, "Oh yeah, they take the orders somewhere else."

>> No.4868072

>>4868060
>old white guy

This is what happens to your grandparents when you allow them to be put in a home.

>> No.4868074

>>4867795
Natalie could be covered in pig shit and I would still fuck her.,

>> No.4868106

Who want's to touch some dirty, grimy touch screen right before eating your food? Not that money's any cleaner.

>> No.4868107

>>4868074
That's because you have been told to worship the jewesses.

>> No.4868234

>>4868058
I'm trying to think what happens

From the car it goes straight up, then tilts left, landing I assume upside down.

So if you loosly attach the lid, it should stay mostly closed when it turns sidewise, and when it tilts upside down to reach the teller the cup should lose its lid spilling all the soda into the bank!

fucking awesome

>> No.4868258

>>4868106
>Not that money's any cleaner.

Or anything else, for that matter. When was the last time you sanitized your cell phone? Car's steering wheel? Restaurant menu? Door handle?

>> No.4868272

>>4867669
wait a got dang minute. my sonic DOES have this. touch screen menus carside. you place and confirm your own damn order and they bring it out to you. i'm in jersey and it's a pretty busy sonic so maybe they don't all have as much cash money to implement systems like this.

>> No.4868303

>>4868074
Ditto.

>> No.4868305

>>4867936
You think you've got it bad? I work at a Sam's. People on the self checkout lanes are so stupid I'm surprised they don't forget how to take a shit. What a good chuck (as in, like maybe 10% of them) will swipe the membership card (equivalent to pressing "begin" on other checkouts), then swipe their credit card, punch in their PIN or whatever, and then just stand there without ever scanning their items for like two minutes. When I work self checkout, my main job is showing retards how to follow onscreen directions.

>> No.4868314

>>4868272
States need to meet an average minimum intelligence requirement in order to use them.
Hence why you never see them anywhere in the south, or New York or Chicago

>> No.4868320
File: 37 KB, 833x768, that feel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4868305
That feel.
Walmart bro here. I don't understand how my customers remember how to dress themselves or even fucking breathe most of the time.
>Please place items in the bagging area
>Please place items in the bagging area
>customer stares angrily at me while holding 2 items
>THIS IS WHY I HATE THESE GODDAMN THINGS, NOTHING EVER WORKS HERE, EVERYONE HERE IS A GODDAMN MORON-
>I gently take the item from the customers hand
>Place it in the bagging area for them

>> No.4868337

>>4867680

Of course you could design a fast food restaurant where the entire menu was designed to be shot through a chute. That would be a very interesting challenge... for someone with too much money on their hands.

>> No.4868349
File: 231 KB, 863x752, never-ends.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4868320
>Ringing up a customer
>They swipe thier bent, worn, chewed up card with the force of 1000 suns, nearly knocking the card reader off the little pedestal
>card read error
>they swipe it again with more force, nearly bending thier card in half while holding it at an angle in thier fist, the magnetic strip hardly even touching the machine
>card read error
>WHY DON'T THESE FUCKING THINGS EVER READ MY CARD. PIECE OF SHIT. YOU NEED A NEW ONE, I'M TIRED OF THIS FUCKING
>Gently take the card from thier hand
>lean over the register and lightly swipe it for them
>it works
>shitty looks ect..
>repeat this a few hundred times a day

Fuck retail.

>> No.4868373

>>4868072
>>4868060
Because niggers can't speak English.

>> No.4868419

>>4868060

I think I seen this mentioned in that movie Supersize Me. They showed a scene where folks were at computer terminals taking orders for a McDonald's restaurant in a different state. I gotta watch that mivie again to confirm it.

>> No.4868454

>>4868320

LOL, when I was in my early 20s I was a pizza delivery driver. All of us who worked at the store were CONVINCED none of our customers knew where they lived or how they got home on a regular basis. People literally couldn't describe where they lived or how to get there.

>> No.4868458

>>4868320
That's the fucking worst, when they get pissed at you. You want to just slap the shit out of them for being so fucking stupid. I've seen them try to swipe their cards upside down, backwards, or I don't even know what. One guy just started smacking his card against the card reader's screen, and I said, "you've got to swipe it," and he says "oh, okay," and starts slicing it through the air in circles for about 30 seconds, punches a few buttons on the screen, says "thanks," and starts walking away, without even taking his items. I just stood there for like 20 seconds before going after him, because I was trying to process what the fuck I'd just seen.

Also, at Sam's our self checkout lanes are card-only, and I told a guy that as he approached it, cash in hand, and he said "oh, okay," so I figured he was just gonna put it away and use a card. Two minutes later I see him angrily trying to jam money into the card reader's side slot.

Another guy just put his items on the little conveyor belt, and then took them back off, assuming this made them paid for.

The lesson: the average person is way more stupid than you give them credit for.

>> No.4870922

>>4867669
My local mcdonalds has this system. You order food and pay on a machine which gives you a number. You then go to a waiting area to collect your food