[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 257 KB, 955x503, carrot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4857834 No.4857834[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

what are some easy to eat vegetables?
they shouldn't need cooking, they shouldn't taste bad, they should be beneficial for health. Carrots are all I can think of

>> No.4857844

Raw spinach and kale are pretty good. Also celery.

>> No.4857849
File: 16 KB, 454x395, bell-peppers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do these ring a bell?

>> No.4857853

>>4857849

Those aren't vegetables, they're fruit

>> No.4857857

>>4857844
truth
raw spinach is fucking delicious

>> No.4857866

snow peas maybe?

>> No.4857873

>>4857834
kohlrabi

>> No.4857988

>>4857834
Raw swede is great.

>> No.4858020

celery?

>> No.4858030

>>4857844
>>4857857

Love me some raw spinach.

OP, I'm going to break one of your rules, but only barely. Edamame is god-tier and you only have to microwave it in its own bag. Though I guess those are technically beans, but if they can sell soy oil as vegetable oil then fuck it.

>> No.4858031

The best veggies to eat raw are the ones that are technically fruits: avocado, cucumber, tomato' Among greens lettuces, mache and cabbage work well raw. Scallions and red onion are good raw, as are most of the finishing herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil and dill. Various combinations of the above can be easily put together with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and they will be easy and delicious.

Personally I prefer vegetables cooked, because I think a little heat, oil, garlic and salt improves most vegetable matter. If you're dead set on easy and raw consider buying a juicer. That works for many people.

>> No.4858256

>>4858030
>Though I guess those are technically beans
beans are vegetables. vegetable=vegetation=plant, there is no reason why beans shouldn't be vegetables

>> No.4858261

>>4858020

celery has virtually no nutrition

>> No.4858307

>>4857834
I pickle a lot of vegetables, but other than carrots, there isn't much I like raw and plain. I eat a lot of salad, but add dressing, and seeds, and crackers and stuff to it.

>> No.4858312
File: 452 KB, 640x480, mayonnaise.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is bacon a vegetable?

>> No.4858383

high end onions pair well with wine. I just went to an onion tasting last week, there's some surprisingly good ones.

>> No.4858761

>>4858261

It's not all about vitamins and minerals though. Phytochemicals are why plants are the best foods.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=14

>> No.4858764

>>4858761

Yeah, phytochemicals are awesome. Cyanide is found in many fruits. Solanine in tomatoes, potatoes, etc.

>> No.4858767
File: 12 KB, 244x251, 1265948370779.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4858764

Those aren't phytochemicals though. Why are you offended?

>> No.4858770

>>4858767

Sure they are. Phyto = plant. Phytochemicals are chemicals that occur naturally in plants. Cyanide and solanine are both naturally occurring deadly toxins.

I'm not offended at all. I just find it funny that people assume that just because something came from a plant that somehow it's good for you.

There is no such thing as a chemical which is always "good". Any substance can be good or bad depending on how it is used, as well as the quantity. Aspirin, for example, was originally discovered in Willow bark. It's saved a great many people's lives. It kills people too, if they take too much or have a condition which is contraindicated for it.

There's an awful lot of good to come from plants but don't fall into the trap of assuming it's all good, all the time. That's no different than believing what the dairy and meat industry pushed years ago.

>> No.4858805

>>4858770

You've been given a list of health benefits that celery is known for, you can't skew anti-oxidants into being seen as a bad thing. You might as well be saying "vitamins and minerals aren't good for you, if you ingest 6000 times the RDA for vitamin K you'll DIE!"

As for the aspirin thing, you're not talking about willow bark, you're talking about a heavily concentrated extract of one certain thing found in the bark with everything else that was in the bark taken away as well.

>> No.4858815

>>4858770

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phytochemicals_in_food

What groups do cyanide and solanine belong to?

>> No.4858821

>>4858805

Oh, I never said anti-oxidants were bad, etc. I'm simply pointing out that just because it came from a plant doesn't mean it is safe.

There's also a great deal we don't know about many phytochemicals. Just because assume they're perfectly safe today (in our ingornace of not having studied all of them) doesn't mean that in the future we won't learn that some of them are indeed dangerous.

Celery, for example, contains the exact same Nitrites that people bitch about in processed meats.

>> No.4858841

>>4858821

>I'm simply pointing out that just because it came from a plant doesn't mean it is safe.

And nobody every said that. Many plants are poisonous. Many plants are beneficial. We eat the beneficial ones.

>Celery, for example, contains the exact same Nitrites that people bitch about in processed meats.

And this is why you shouldn't try to enter discussions about these things. Nitrites aren't bad, they actually help our body. Nitrosamines that form in processed meats promote cancer.

>> No.4858924

>>4858770
You know, there's absolutely zero value in what you just pointed out, beyond trivial technicality? People seldom go out into the forest and just start eating random plants, they're generally well aware that only certain things should be eaten. Additionally, cases of poisoning from eating too many potatoes are quite rare. On the other hand, most people would greatly benefit from eating more fruits and vegetables. So, how about swallowing the smarter-than-thou attitude? Until biochemists have a complete lock on knowing exactly what compounds are necessary to sustain optimum human health, the notion that plants are good is a very healthy one, so long as it doesn't lure someone into sham homeopathy.

>> No.4858948

>>4858815

I don't understand you. Are you trying to say that cyanide and solanine aren't chemicals that are naturally occuring in plants? Because if so, that's incorrect.

>>4858841
>And nobody every said that

They certainly imply it though. These days everyone throws around the term "phytohemicals" like it's some sort of amazing pancea and that "plants are good meat is bad" when in reality it is far more complex than that. There are both bad and good chemicals found in plants as well as meat. Not everything in a plant is healthy. It's not a matter of the whole plant being poisonous vs. beneficial: even in "beneficial" plants there exisit harmful substances and toxins. We consider potatoes to be "beneficial" yet they contain solanine, which is a toxin. Red kidney beans contain the toxin lectin phytohaemagglutinin, and so on.

>>4858841
>And this is why you shouldn't try to enter discussions about these things. Nitrites aren't bad, they actually help our body. Nitrosamines that form in processed meats promote cancer.

You might want to take some of your own medicine regarding what you're talking about. Nitrosamines don't "form" in processed meats--they don't even exist there. It works like this: Human being eats nitrates. In an acidic environment--such as the human stomach--the nitrates from the nitrosonium ion, which then reacts with amines to form nitrosamine, which is carcinogenic. This happens the same way with any source of nitrates, be it cheap processed beef jerky or a stick of celery. It's pretty simple chemistry.

>> No.4858967

>>4858924
>People seldom go out into the forest and just start eating random plants, they're generally well aware that only certain things should be eaten.

You're missing the point.

Many people on here seem to believe that plants are always healthy "Because phytoehmicals". I'm pointing out that this isn't true. Phytogemicals is a catch-all phrase for a massive number of chemical compounds. Some are good. Some are poisonous, and some we don't even know anything about one way or the other. Therefore it's silly to say that plants are good "because phytochemicals".

Saying that some plants are "good" while others are "bad" is a gross oversimplification. Even a "good" plant can contain some bad. Even a specific phytochemical can be good or bad depending on its dose, etc.

I agree with you 100% that people ought to eat more fruits and vegetables--you'll get no argument from me about that. I'm just pointing out that it's silly to hold the belief that plants are universally good for you. If you don't believe that then I'm sorry, I'm clearly arguing with the wrong person or we have a misunderstanding. But there's an awful lot of people on here who parrot that "plants are always good because phytochemicals" when that's clearly not true.

>> No.4858973

>>4858948

>Are you trying to say that cyanide and solanine aren't chemicals that are naturally occuring in plants?

I'm saying phytochemical is an established term and cyanide and solonine aren't classified under it

>They certainly imply it though

No they actually don't, you're just using that as an excuse to butt in with something that had no relation to anything being talked about before you showed up in the thread

>Nitrosamines don't "form" in processed meats--they don't even exist there

I admire that you spent an hour googling what a nitrosamine is, but you misinterpreted the wikipedia article, and you don't seem to know what amines are either. Here's a child-friendly video to clear things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7zTJ5LnO1E

>> No.4859027

>>4858967

This is what your argument sounds like to everyone who isn't you

>you should eat [specific plant food], the phytochemicals in it are known to be very beneficial in preventing certain cancers, relieving oxidative stress, and in lowering inflammation
>"BUT NOT EVERYTHING IN EVERY PLANT FOOD IS AMAZING, THIS OTHER PLANT FOOD YOU'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT HAS ONE ASPECT THAT'S COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE BUT CAN STILL HARM YOU IF YOU EAT 50 POUNDS OF IT A DAY IN CONCENTRATED PILL FORM"
>right, but THIS food specifically has known benefits
>THAT DOESN'T MATTER, NOT EVERY FOOD DOES
>right, but this one does
>YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAND

>> No.4859073

>>4858973
>I'm saying phytochemical is an established term and cyanide and solonine aren't classified under it

This is straight-up incorrect. Phyto = plant, so phytochemical refers to any chemical found in plants, such as those previously mentioned. Go look it up in a dictionary.

Also, who's talking about wikipedia? Don't you remember you chemistry class anon? If you're old enough to post here you're old enough to understand how that works. I think you simply refuse to belive that your precious celery doesn't have at least some little risk to it. The world isn't black and white, anon. Everything has shades of gray.

>>4859027
Sigh, I'll try this one more time as you still don't seem to be getting the point.

In ANY one specific plant there are chemicals which are BOTH good for you and harmful to you at the same time. I'm not talking about "different" foods. I'm talking about one and the same food. I'm sorry if I might have been confusing by using various examples, but since you haven't named a plant yet and just keep repeating "phytochemicals" I don't have much of a choice.

There is no such thing as a plant which is universally healthy. Yes, many plants do contain phytochemicals which are healthy, fight cancer, etc. But that isn't the whole picture. Those same plants ALSO contain chemicals which can be harmful. Not different plants. The very same ones.

In other words, when you write:
>you should eat [specific plant food], the phytochemicals in it are known to be very beneficial in preventing certain cancers...

You should know that with nearly 100% certainly that SAME PLANT also contains chemicals which are harmful, and a whole bunch which we know nothing about.

Does that mean you shouldn't eat it? Of course not. But it's silly to imply that those foods are always good because phytochemicals.

>> No.4859084

>>4859073

>for no reason at all we have to assume every healthy food has poison in it so you shouldn't tell people to eat for the 40 individual benefits it offers because if they eat 100 pounds worth in an hour they might get a tummy ache

>> No.4859938

Brocolli
peas
baby spinach
most greens
raddishes
tomatoes
carrots
kohlrabi

>> No.4859954

who forgot about cucumbers

>> No.4860060

>>4859954

Cucumbers are fruit

>> No.4860063

>carrots
>peeling a carrot is anything but a major annoyance

maybe baby carrots or babby carrots.

>> No.4860064

>>4860060
>Cucumbers are shit

ftfy. The only time they become good is pickled

>> No.4860066

>>4860060
Fruits are vegetables ya donut

>> No.4860067

>>4860060
>>4857849

>trying to argue semantics
>not understanding the distinction of culinary classification vs. botanical/technical classification
>being fucking retarded

>> No.4860070

>>4857834
>easy to eat vegetables

The ones without wheelchairs.

>> No.4860104

>>4860067

>culinary classification vs. botanical/technical classification

It doesn't matter what you feel like classifying something as, science already classified it as something else.

>> No.4860398

>>4859073
you are litterally trying to teach someone who cant think beyond "vegetable guuud, meat baddddddddddd, ook ook ook." real science. I don't know who's stupider.

>> No.4860401

>>4857866

a lot of peas and beans can be eaten raw. When my family used to grow peas I would help shell them and just eat the raw peas.

rhubarb can be eaten raw, though it's very tart (and apparently classified as fruit in the US) remember not to eat the leaves, oxalyic acids can poison you.

>> No.4860407

Snow peas.

When fresh (i.e. less than a day old) they are super delicious raw.

>> No.4860464

>>4860104
Context, however, does matter.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

>> No.4860517

Try kale, OP. Cold peas are great as well.

>>4857873
I heartily second this. Kohlrabi is one of my favorites. Very versatile and it's delicious.

>> No.4860532

>>4858805
Actually, the oxidative stress theory of aging is dead, so you don't have to be quite so fixated on jamming as much of them as you can into your pie hole.

Apparently antioxidant supplementation increases the risk of death as well.

>> No.4860643

>>4860532

> the oxidative stress theory of aging is dead

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What next, "vitamins and minerals don't actually do anything" or "you don't need water to live" ?