[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 296 KB, 847x408, 1348196527463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4854799 No.4854799[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I am pretty sure /ck/ can answer this. Both are probably unenjoyable but how do you feel about the two?

>> No.4854811

I feel like I'm glad to have a desk job.

>> No.4854817

Catering is better in 90% of cases. More money, everything is pre-planned, no surprises.

>> No.4854831

What a terrible idea, why defeat the purpose of a sandwich by putting the contents on top where you get your fingers all in it?

>> No.4854833

on site catering is the easiest shit ever. live anon said, no surprises. once you learn the basics about events it is seriously cake.

off site catering can be another animal though, that whole "no surprises" thing goes out the window. plus set up is a whole other thing to learn (assuming that is your problem).

catering is usually less interesting than typical fine dining operations. fewer one-offs, specials, features, ect. Catering, for a few reasons, is usually a little more of a simple culinary style than a good contemporary fine dining joint

>> No.4854839
File: 104 KB, 320x287, winnie does not care.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Caterings pretty cool. Line cook sucks.

Catering can be busy as fuck, but at least you always know how much of a certain thing you have to make, and you get nice consistency because everything is cooked at the same time in bulk. Things are always easier to make in bulk. You can also make decent tip money because the people hosting the event usually tip really good if they loved the spread you put out for them. Its also pretty satisfying when you get to make a bunch of the food and then help deliver and serve it in front of guests at the event and chitchat with people who compliment you on how good your food is. Desserts were my specialty.

Line cook sucks ass because things are always changing on the line. You can go from no customers to 70 people without warning on a sunday night while you are by yourself and they all want food right now and dont want to wait. Its also hot as shit and you'll make little pay for long hours. Most line cooks I worked with were stressed out alcholics and/or coke heads from being worked like dogs.

Catering is vastly superior, but only if you work at a nice catering business. There are some really shitty catering companies out there that cut corners and just make really shitty food. Then there are some that are hardly ever busy because they only do certain events and you might only work half the week if that.

If you can find a full time position in a really ritzy catering company, go for it. Being a line cook will get you the chance of maybe becoming the sous chef and being the head chefs bitch for $12 an hour.

>> No.4854841

>>4854831
Look at the currency involved. That will explain everything.

>> No.4854848

>>4854831
>What a terrible idea, why defeat the purpose of a sandwich by putting the contents on top where you get your fingers all in it?

Hahaha, "terrible idea" is such an understatment. Had to google to see if it was real. "Yes, this is real: KFC Philippines is offering something called the "Cheese Top Burger," a fried chicken patty sandwich with garlic Parmesan dressing and a slice of cheese melted atop the bun."

>> No.4854896

Catering is incredibly lucrative and involves barely a fraction of the work required of a line cook. No question about it I would take catering any day of the week.

>> No.4854940

line cooking gets old quick.

>> No.4854964

I see thank you

>> No.4855065

pic is from MAnila KFC,

weird as fuck yes. the cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth.

but them Pinoys are fucking dirty cunts anyway. scum of the earth really in Manila.

look at Jollibee for real burgers