[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 195 KB, 525x703, coffeeb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4842125 No.4842125 [Reply] [Original]

I am a coffee enthusiast, but I cannot, for the life of me, wrap my brain around the concept of using a Florence Siphon for a coffee machine. That being said, I WANT TO BUILD ONE! The problem is I can't get any hi-res picture of the Breaking Bad setup and want to know who's got the skinny on equipment and the processes.
>inb4 Google (I did and yielded little)

>> No.4842185

That setup in the photo won't do anything. It's just a bunch of random glassware arranged to make it look cool. You know those silly movie shots of a "lab" where there's a bunch of beakers and test-tubes filled with different colors of water and usually some dry ice "smoking" away somewhere? This is just another version of that: useless, but it looks like "woah science stuff" to people who don't know any better.

Anyway, with about 5 seconds in Google I found this link, which seems to be an idiot-proof step by step method of brewing coffee with a florence siphon.
http://avogadroslabsupply.com/Images/Arabica.pdf

>> No.4843992

>watches Breaking Bad
>decides to brew coffee

Why stop there?

>> No.4844018

OP here
Hooray for slow boards!
Yeah, I was thinking that, but methylamine is super hard to come by and pseudo has a MUCH higher risk of exploding. My sister is a science teacher at a high school though...

>> No.4844177
File: 1.67 MB, 2328x3096, siphon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah, that breaking bad setup is really embellished.

Here is your basic florence siphon setup.

1000ml Flask (Round bottom, boiling, Erlenmeyer, whatever)
1 hole stopper to fit the flask
Glass tubing (In the picture I use surgical tubing, DO NOT USE THIS AS I HAVE. Bend some flint glass tubing with a torch to fit your build)
Thistle funnel
1000mL Beaker
Filter Paper (muslin tea bag works great)

Assemble items as shown. Be sure the tube in the flask is UNDER the water at the lowest point. The coffee grounds go in the beaker.

Heat the flask (A) with a hotplate or burner. This heats up the water. Because the vessel is sealed, pressure builds, forcing water out of through the glass tube (B). The water exits the thistle funnel (C) which is covered with filter paper, leaving it to mingle with the grounds contained in the beaker (D).

Once the flask is empty of water, cut the heat. This will cause the water vapor to cool and contract, creating vacuum pressure. This draws the water through the filter, thistle funnel, tube, and finally back into the flask. The beaker will slurp and burp when it's done.

Decant from the flask as you see fit.

>> No.4844295
File: 1.47 MB, 320x240, 1379168675707.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4844177

>> No.4844339

>>4844177
in some states you have to have special permission to get the 1000ml beakers

>> No.4844612

>>4844339

Then use 500mL. You'll just make less coffee

>> No.4844653

>>4844612

Or use any other food-and-heat safe container. Like a mason jar, or a coffeemaker carafe, or a saucepan.

>> No.4844661

>>4842185
wait, they werent actually making meth?!
show retroactively dropped

>> No.4844700

>>4844177
if you used a two hole stopper with a tube in each hole and put a on off valve on each tube and after the coffee was brewed and returned to the flask it might be possible to turn the valve to the beaker off and turn the heat back on to the flask and build up presure that way the coffee can be served by turning the valve to the other tube that is used for serving. although a clamp would have to be used to hold the topper onto the flask to keep it presurized. also graft a condenser into the contraption that also has a on off valve so that presure only builds up when the condensor is turned off

>> No.4844723

>>4844177
neds a more elaborate set up for the coffee flavorings to be added when being despensed into a coffee cup

>> No.4844729

>>4844661
Actually, the show had a DEA chemist help them with all of the meth making ideas and set ups.

You could literally make methamphetamine with the superlab they built for the show.

On topic to this thread, how could I SCIENCE up brewing tea?

I wish I did Chemistry A level...

>> No.4844793

>>4844723
>flavorings
>coffee

>>4844729
Sun tea is great experiment in the principles of diffusion, osmosis and solvent extraction.