[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 51 KB, 814x500, 1376938491587.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4840131 No.4840131[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Which anglosphere country produces the worst food? I'll honestly say that it's between Scotland or New Zealand, yuck. No Ireland does not fit within the anglosphere.

>> No.4840134

What exactly is New Zealand food? I've only heard of their fish pie, which sounds terrible.

>> No.4840139

>>4840131

Limited experience, but as an English living in Wales I'd have to say Wales edges out Scotland.

Scotland has Whiskey and Haggis as specialties, maybe not to everyone's cup of tea but they're proper dishes and beat 'cheese on toast', 'seaweed on toast' or just plain 'lamb'.

>> No.4840147

>>4840139
Wales gets a free pass since rarebit and welsh cakes are delicious

>> No.4840151

>>4840139
Obviously never had deep fried cocles with bacon, bara brith, bara planc, cawl etc etc. Google 'first catch your peacock'

>> No.4840152

>>4840151
Twll din pob saes

>> No.4840161

>>4840151
*cockles

>> No.4840185

>>4840151

I haven't tried any of those actually. Lived in Swansea for nearly 7 years and embarrassingly wouldn't know where to start looking for em.

>> No.4841923

>New Zealand
>worst
You've clearly never tried the broiled kakapo, truly one of the world's most succulent birds.

>> No.4841963

Meh, I'm Scottish and there's not much food that I consider to be necessarily ours. There are a lot of delicious dishes with whiskey based sauces, and I personally enjoy haggis, neeps and tatties a couple of times a year. A full Scottish cooked breakfast / brunch is far better than anything you get south of the border, but yeah, we don't have much to shout about.

I also only know 1 person who's ever had a deep fried mars bar, so that's not in the equation for me either.

>> No.4841966

>>4840131

Ireland because its just Brit food stolen and mad worse.

>> No.4841975

>>4840131
>NZ
Try the lamb shanks. Fucking excillint bru!

Actually most kiwi food is great you knob gtfo

>> No.4841984

>>4841963
No such thing as a Scottish breakfast, you just added potatoes to an english one.

>> No.4842042
File: 24 KB, 248x300, jacques-chirac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Somebody defend British cuisine or something. There must be some of you out there.
Has it improved?
Foreign people don't really know what British people eat on a daily basis?
Are some of the best restaurants in the world in the UK?

>> No.4842047

>>4841984
we also add lorne sausage and white/red/fruit pudding
i think a more traditional scottish breakfast is porridge, which is really boring

all traditional scottish food seems to be based around being really poor but i think its a good thing because white/red/fruit pudding/haggis all sound disgusting in principal but are delicious in practice and i dont think any other country can claim to use all the shit parts of animals as well as us
we also have this monstrosity that i havent tried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappit_heid

im kind of ashamed of munchie boxes but they are only for eating when you are drunk
deep fried mars bars were really only a fad
irn bru outsells coca cola here but fluorescent sugar water isnt really anything to be proud of

>> No.4842073

>>4842047
also some other lesser known scottish things that are actually good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttery_%28bread%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_smokie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stovies

aberdeen angus beef is probably some of the best in the world
but then we did invent deep fried pizza

>> No.4842099

>>4842073
Exactly, the UK is the GOAT for high quality ingredients, but not for finished meals

>> No.4842103

>>4842042
British cuisine has good stuff. English beer is unlike syles in other countries and oft overlooked. English sausages are BASED. We've got mad biscuits according to a dutchman I knew. Pies are pretty badass, as are roasts. Kippers are godly and so is the traditional chips and fish.

>> No.4842137

Scotland, I think, has some of the better foods of the Isles. England has the best desserts. Wales has great cheese. Scotland has good everything else, simple as their cooking may be. Smoked fishes, Scottish stew, cockieleekie, skink and others: all delicious.

By far, the worst cuisine of the Anglosphere belongs to Canada. Absolutely horrid. Each other Anglophonic nation has something redeeming in its cuisine. Something exclusively and undeniably theirs and theirs alone.
The US has proper (read: cold smoked with a pink ring in the meat) barbecue.
New Zealand has boil-up and haangi pork and/or haangi mutton/lamb. Also, any country that has something called 'lolly cake,' can't be all bad.
I don't know much about what Aussies eat, but Aussie wines are at least middlingly respected.
South Africa has biltong. Nuff said.
That leaves poor, cold, shitty Canada. Mmmm. Soggy fried potatoes with canned "gravy" and curds. Fucking pinacle, that. Canada sucks.