[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.33 MB, 952x4749, 1379702934746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4822733 No.4822733[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone have a good recipe for chili that you use? Specifically hot. There are obviously tons of recipes out there but no one can seem to settle the beans/no beans debate.

>Pick unrelated as it is no good

>> No.4822773
File: 493 KB, 1224x1632, photo (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1.5lb stew meat
1lrg onion
1.5lb hot link sausage
7chipotle peppers in adobo
1 can stewed tomato
1 can rstd grn chiles
1 can chili beans mild
1 can tomatos and chilies
2 cloves garlic
1can beef broth
1.5 beers
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup habanero infused vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
homemade chili seasoning
-4tsp chili powder
2tsp sugar
2ts cumin
1tsp parsly
1tsp basil
2tsp onion powder

this is my personal recipe
brown the beef add the seasoning cook the onions right there in the same pot add beer cook for a minute stirring to get the brown bits off the bottom. then add everything else and simmer 8 hours, cool overnight and simmer 5 more hours. yes i know it takes a long time but its the best damn chili ive ever made and well worth the wait. it ends up real thick with the meat melting

>> No.4822779

>>4822773
oh and cook the garlic with the onion

>> No.4822780

>>4822733
mind if I ask why pic unrelated is no good?

>> No.4822815
File: 2.44 MB, 480x360, 1354984370543.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My recipe below. I typically do it at company potlucks since at Aldi I can make it all for under $14... Cost effective and fills a crockpot.
It's a beany one. but every single potluck they literally wipe the damn pot clean.

1 can northern beans
1 can butter beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 large can tomato paste (~10-20oz?)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne powder
1 tbsp paprika powder (you can do smoked but I don't like a lot of it =/ )
1 large sweet onion diced and lightly sweated
1-2 lbs ground beef
1 tsp cumin (you can adjust it if you like a stronger or lighter flavor)
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp onion garlic powder
2 tsp coco powder (not dutch process)
1 jig vodka
Take out your crockpot and empty in all of the tomato products into the pot. Drain half the liquid out and save it (makes for a starchy water to add in later if it needs more liquid), then add the remaining liquid and beans to the crockpot. Sweat the onions and add to the pot. Brown the beef. Drain and add to the pot. Mix everything and add the spices and whatever else is left. Cook on high for 2 hours or until the beans are done in yours. During the cooking process (when things start to warm up) adjust for salt and then add the vodka if you so please.

Also, depending on the flavor I want, I change it up by going with dried and/or smoked peppers, as opposed to fresh.

When everything is done, I usually adjust how spicy it is or how front loaded the spice is with semisweet chocolate pieces. Adjust by 10 pieces at a time if it is too spicy and it will take the edge off. but don't abuse it.
Also, if things aren't spicy enough, I just add more chilis/chili powder or something to it.

It's really good with sour cream and the mexican blend cheese. Maybe some onion on top? oh ya. That's the stuff.

>> No.4822847

http://debbiekoenig.com/2012/01/19/slow-cooker-chorizo-chili/

I made this one last week and it was too spicy for me. I also used half the chili powder.

>> No.4822857

white people, white chili

few cans of white beans/navy beans
few pounds of chopped chicken
few cans of chicken broth
few chopped jalapenos
few chopped hatch peppers (lol get on my southwest level)
few chopped bell peppers
chopped onion
lots o' minced garlic
shot of cumin, black pepper, cilantro, cayenne

brown veggies in skillet, toss it all into crock pot and omg my god its so good

>> No.4822862

>>4822815
Is that someone cutting bread with a door stopper?

>> No.4822881

>>4822862
its debatable but i thought it was a wedge of cheese

>> No.4822887

>>4822881
nah that is most definitely a block of wood

>> No.4822890

>>4822733
chili as in chili con carne?
i don't really have recipes but roughly this
white beans, kidney beans, tomatoes (both usually 2 different kinds like chopped and crushed), garlic,chili (not powder),rice,minced meat (usually of both pork and beef),cayenne powder. also worcestershiresauce and/or ketchup for some different tastes. also onions is a must and red sweet pepper

>> No.4825258

>>4822733

So, we have ended the bean/no bean debate...BEANS or it's not chili.

Oh, and if you put pasta in my chili, I'm coming at you brah!

>> No.4825698

>>4822733
>no one can seem to settle the beans/no beans debate
Debate? It's "stop liking what I don't like" on one side and common sense "stop telling me what I can and can't use in MY food" on the other. That's not a debate, that's an argument.

>There are obviously tons of recipes out there
So why not pick one and try it instead of this thinly-veiled attempt to rile up the beans/no beans conflict here?

FFS dude, you could get 2 recipes or a dozen recipes posted here. I have a no-sauté version that yields amazing results (my opinion obviously) with the least amount of effort. How exactly are you going to decide between them? At least if you get recipes from sources online you have something more to go on.

Generic advice though:
Chilli is a simple dish at heart. Very simple, since its origins are peasant food. At the most basic you get beef, simmer it with chilli and that's it. The ingredients list is literally
>meat
>chilli
>salt
>water

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to start from there and try different stuff.

>> No.4826950

>>4825698
>Debate? It's "stop liking what I don't like" on one side and common sense "stop telling me what I can and can't use in MY food" on the other. That's not a debate, that's an argument.

Except it's not. There's unreasonable and reasonable people on both sides. The unreasonables on the no-beans are the ones you said. The unreasonables on the beans side will insist that concepts like one meal tasting better than another don't really exist, and that suggesting anything to anyone is oppression. If you genuinely think that nobody in the world can prefer their chili without beans because that's what they fucking prefer, then it sounds like you're part of the MUH OPPRESSION no-beans group.

Seriously, bean guys, try a recipe without beans one time (and vice versa to no-bean guys). The people suggesting them probably aren't trying to poison you, or force you to only eat that for the rest of your life. It's more along the lines that the chunkier the pieces of meat, the less necessary the beans are, whereas they're more welcome with smaller chopped or ground meat. But it depends. Chili for topping hot dogs is probably better without beans just because then it's more of a sauce. Some chili is just a meat dish, some is more of a whole one-pot meal. And so on. People who prefer the kinds without beans are entitled to their opinion too, you know.

>> No.4827387
File: 17 KB, 250x250, costanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2013
>not eyeballing your chili

>> No.4827393

>that image
Holy fuck gb2 Reddit

>> No.4827422
File: 43 KB, 600x450, 1379937440380.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4822733
The guy who made this seems like the biggest faggot. I can't stand these edgy recipe pics.

>> No.4828435

>>4826950
>There's unreasonable and reasonable people on both sides.
Far more on one side. Every /ck/ regular knows which side I'm referring to.