[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 35 KB, 400x245, FASTFOOD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4815831 No.4815831[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So /ck/. Im on a mad tight budget. So fast food has sort of become a regular for me. I might as well embrace this shit food. What are your top 3 fast food establishments and a preferred item from your #1.

Also, don't try to recommend me going shopping and buying shit to make. I'm hopeless when it comes to cooking.

>> No.4815841

>So /ck/. Im on a mad tight budget. So fast food has sort of become a regular for me.
Are you mentally handicapped?

Pick up some fucking bulk rice and bulk beans, then if you have money left over, spend it on pork lard, organ meat, and dirt cheap greens like collard or turnip greens.

You can get way more calories and micronutrition both by eating red beans and rice with a little rendered fat, scrap meat, and the cheapest vegetables possible.

>> No.4815844

>>4815831
>So /ck/. Im on a mad tight budget.

Fast food is often more expensive than meals cooked at home. Quit being a bitch and learn.

>> No.4815866

Fast food is ridiculously expensive for what it is, you idiot. I'm on a mad tight budget and fast food is a "once a month" treat for me. I doubt your budget is actually that tight.

>> No.4815989

I fucking assure you that your monthly fast food budget could be applied to 3 months worth of food from the grocery store, if spent wisely.

if you can't cook worth shit and have no interest in it, why the fuck are you even here?

>> No.4816042

You can't even boil/bake/fry potatoes? Mad tight budget my ass. Beans rice pasta potatoes.

>> No.4816141

>>4815831
But....fast food costs waaay more than home cooked meals

>> No.4816148

What a stupid fuck

>> No.4816151

10/10 extremely successful troll

buuuut if not
1. taco bell
2. white castle
3. mcdonalds

and #1 item from taco bell for me is probably chicken quesadilla or smothered burrito

>> No.4816152

>>4816141
Only if you look at the bulk costs while ignoring the commitments and ignore the fact that you have to buy all of the ingredients in quantities much larger than that one meal.

>> No.4816153

>>4815831
>So /ck/. Im on a mad tight budget. So fast food has sort of become a regular for me. I might as well embrace this shit food.
Fat America? Fat America.

>> No.4816154

>can't afford good food
>can somehow afford new clothes and medical bills from obesity

Okay.

>> No.4816158

Fast food can be cheaper than shopping, it's true.

>bulk rice and beans bulk rice and beans bulk rice and beans bulk rice and beans bulk rice and beans
HUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRR

>> No.4816164

>>4816158
>HUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yeah, because sustaining yourself on fast food isn't retarded.

>> No.4816165
File: 280 KB, 1024x768, 1378139369909.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

lmao i swear this board is nothing but bitter fat guys who act all sanctimonious about food online to compensate their own blubbery

>> No.4816169

>>4816165
Sure that must be it. People don't like fast food because they are fat and are "projecting".

Eating fast food every day like OP is totally normal, healthy behavior.

Post a pic of your fat gut.

>> No.4816173

>>4816165
This picture confounds me
She hates fast food with a passion, and yet chooses to live right naxt to a McDonalds. Or the McDonalds hates her enough to open next to her house just to spite her.

>> No.4816174

Don't know about you OP, but if I was on a "mad tight budget," eating out anywhere would be the last thing on my list.

Can you handle putting condiments and lunch meat between two slices of bread? How about using a knife to apply peanut butter and jelly to that same bread? Forget rice and beans, this shit right here doesn't even require looking at a fucking stove, yet alone using it.

Acting like you need to be a skilled cook to eat at home and save money is fucking stupid.

>> No.4816207
File: 116 KB, 640x894, 1355834401288.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Fat people are still attempting to propagate the myth fast food is cheaper than healthy food

No

>> No.4816210

>>4815831
Here is my suggestion, OP. Take it or ye forever despair.

Fast food isn't Satan by itself but it does lack one vital thing.

Fiber.

So make sure by all that is holy you buy a bag of fucking apples, some peanuts, anything.

Otherwise the food is not going to hold you over. And you may just find yourself going out for more.

Disgustingly enough Taco Bell shills this 'Y I ALWAYS HUNGRY?!' in it's 'Fourth Meal' ad campaign.

Also, make sure you don't get sodas. Or at least nothing with HFCS or excessive sugar.

>> No.4816211

my hairy anus is mad tight op
wanna fuck it, cutie?

>> No.4816219
File: 1.52 MB, 3264x2448, 20130920_174819.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last night I had a McGangbang. So fucking good.

>> No.4816242

>>4816207
good good, let the hate flow,, fat people I used to be one but now am smug and sacrosanct sse I told you. easier than you thought put them down... it is your destiny... tiny? well,I wIll have a tiny bit of that...just be careful

>> No.4816243

>>4816219
If I ever set foot in a McDonald's and saw someone doing this, I would call them out for being the fat stupid neckbeard or lanky retarded underage stoner that they are.

>> No.4816261

>> 4816243 I am the latter. I'm not proud of it but its awesome. Actually I am proud if it.

>> No.4816266

Sorry Im using the app. Trying to get use to it. Excuse the green text.

>> No.4816272

>>4816243
le classy gentleman foodie xD

>> No.4816348

>>4815841
>you're poor why not become black

>> No.4816357

>>4816243
Why are you so mad about what people do in fast food restaurants? Any time you step into one, your standards for etiquette and food should be significantly lower.

>> No.4816363

>>4816219
Looks shit.

>> No.4816372

2013, being as retarded at religious people. Good job OP, unless trolling, in which case, 2/10, more a holy fuck OP is retarded reaction than an actual troll.

>> No.4816445

>>4816372
>being this euphoric
> Japanese, who consume an average of 1083 calories

If OP watches the fat and calorie intake he can eat it on a daily basis

>> No.4816467

>Fat people are still attempting to propagate the myth fast food is cheaper than healthy food

> No

Your picture is retarded. It's comparing a wasteful use of fast food resources to an impractical selection of store bought crap.

Only an idiot orders combo meals.

The fast food idea revolves around the discount "dollar items", not all the other overpriced shit they expect you will add to your order. All the store items are low-tier poor people fodder. Apples and oranges when compared to premium priced Whoppers and soda with its 2000% markup over cost.

After your single bundle of broccoli is gone, what the hell you gonna do with the remaining 9lbs of potatoes? Plain baked potatoe requiring $0.75 worth of energy to bake? Eat it raw? Maybe you could fry it, but seeing there is no oil to fry with, so salt, no pepper... I would not eat it. Better have a lot of waater handy to choke that donw with.

Meatless hamburger patties with no bun, condiments or fixins? Plain hamburger with exact same issue? Fess up /ck/ you would be fucking tortured to madness if forced to cook without even basic spices, let alone the hundreds of other little ingredients that make the different between dining at the Astoria vs the Gulag.

My house flooded (washed away actully) a while back and I wasn't even able to salvage so much as a soup spoon. Had to replace everything, condiments, utensils, pans. The price of all those little things adds up quickly. I started small to avoid clutter and not overbuy, and still, just to get a basic kitchen together with minimal cookwear and herb/spice/condiments was over $70. That gave us enough dishes for 3 people to have one meal with the assumption some food may be taking turns inhabiting my single skillet.

So... Yes, if you compare spoiling yourself with ording the most wasteful yet tastey fast food to the MRE-tier shit you can scrounge at Wal-mart, assuming its in-season, on sale, and you have a coupon, then you have a point.

>> No.4816486

>>4816372
Sure is fedora-core in /ck/ today.

>> No.4816487

>>4815831
>So /ck/. Im on a mad tight budget. So fast food has sort of become a regular for me.

>Also, don't try to recommend me going shopping and buying shit to make. I'm hopeless when it comes to cooking.

Why don't you just fuck off?

>> No.4816489

>inb4 Americans saying that ready made tomato sauce is cheaper than making it yourself
>"THE GUYS FROM CHEF BOYARDEE KNOW WHATS BEST"

>> No.4816499

>>4816489
How are you going to beat getting one of those big ass cans of Hunts that is enough for three or four meals for one person that sells for 99 cents?

>> No.4816501

It's not the fast food that annoys me, it's the fact that he claims to be on 'mad tight budget' but affords to eat fast food.

>> No.4816502

>>4816219
What a pathetic assembly of "food"

>> No.4816507

>>4816489
You must be the raging spaghetti sauce idiot. Has any jarred sauce enraged you lately? Specifically, "fat" Americans eating jarred spaghetti sauce?

>chef "boyardee" is an Italian immigrunt
You must be him, you're stupid as fuck and angry as hell. I blame your "free" health care system and lack of the medication that you *really* need.

>> No.4816521

>>4816507
I take it you're American.

>> No.4816533

>>4816521
I take it you're not.

>> No.4816658

Lentils, $1.30/lb (3 cups)
Brown rice, $2.40/2lbs (6 cups)
Onions, $0.80/lb (4 onions)
Carrots, $1.00/lb (12 carrots)
Canola oil $1.40/24-fl-oz (48 tbsp)
Iodized salt $1/1.6lbs (123 tsp)

For a filling one-person meal, put 3/4 cup lentils ($0.33), 3/4 cup rice ($0.30), 1 chopped carrot ($0.08), half a chopped onion ($0.10), 2 tbsp oil ($0.06), 0.5 tsp salt ($0.00 rounded), and 3 cups of water into your rice maker and press "cook". The energy cost, assuming a 1.2kW cooker, going for 30 minutes, at $0.10/kW-hr, would be $0.06.

That's $0.90, for a relatively nutritious 752 calorie meal (rice 255 calories, lentils 210, oil 240, carrot 25, onion 22).

If you're starting from scratch after your house burned down, it's $15 for a rice cooker, which includes a cooking bowl and serving spoon that you could eat with if you're really struggling. It is a high cost, but will probably last at least a thousand meals (there's not much that would naturally wear out, the way a light bulb would, unless it's mistreated), its cost per meal over the long haul is under 2 cents.

>> No.4816659
File: 38 KB, 640x270, hungry-howie-sub.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll give you a rec for each:

Hungry Howies - Ham or italian "calzone style sub" (see pic). Nice compact, chewy, oiled/parmed bread with really good meat/cheese and balance of toppings.

Frisch's BigBoy - BigBoy (McD's cloned the BigMac to compete with it in the 60's. Only difference is Frisch's special sauce is tartar instead of ketchup based), with side of onion rings, cole slaw, and hot fudge ice cream cake.

Arby's - Philly Beef & Swiss (the previous version, not that angus shit). It had a soft bun and garlic sauce. Sides of curly cheddar fries and mozzerella sticks.

iHop - grilled ham/egg/cheese, side of rings, side salad w/ranch

Honorable mention goes out to:

Skyline 4way and a side of coneys w/same +mustard

Quarter Pounder, no cheese, only toppings are: white onion (rings, not the minced rehydrted... Bring some with you to add if they don't have it), extra pickles, mustard.

Penn Station: steak w/extra american cheese, peppers & onions

Dairy Queen foot-longs with chili, mustard, and onions and a malt milkshake.

Arbys breakfast sammich with sourdough. I ask for extra cheese and no egg. You end up with a sourdough grilleded cheese. Sounds lame, but go out and try to find tht style/flavor of bread. It is nearly impossible. Other places sell shitty "texas toast" that is shaped like the Arby's sourdough, but they are like night/day. Also, if you're lucky, they will make you a "sourdough melt" for lunch using the breakfast bread.

>> No.4816701
File: 214 KB, 640x480, 7267865560_0a134e2ca3_z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

#1. Raising Cane's
#2. Whataburger
#3. Taco Bell

I get the box dinner from Cane's.

>> No.4816705

>>4816152
> you have to buy all of the ingredients in quantities much larger than that one meal
Luckily people tend to eat more than one meal in their lifetime.

>> No.4816722

Fast food is terrible for a budget. I had to quit fast food because I was easily spending $100/week on shitty food.

But my favorite fast food place is Jack in the Box. Shame that the closest one is 335 miles away.

#2 is chick-fil-a
#3 is taco bell

>> No.4816723

>>4816705
Yeah, but you don't necessarily have the money to purchase enough for five meals...and hell, you can get rice at just a hair over $500/ton. Much cheaper than those overpriced 20lbs sacks.

>> No.4816728

Holy shit.
>Also, don't try to recommend me going shopping and buying shit to make.
Like feminists in here, they only read what they want and ignore all others.

>>4815831

I'll just list preferred items from each restaurant.

1. Doubler Cheeseburger from McDonald's
2. Double BK Stacker From Burger King $2 Thursdays!
3. Taco Time Taco 99 cent Tuesdays, and 5 for 5 Sundays.

And McDonald's for breakfast. Sausage McMuffin, extra hash browns and a large black coffee.

>> No.4816736

poor people are poor for a reason. in op's case, it's stupidity and ignorance

>> No.4816741

>>4816658
>Onions, $0.80/lb (4 onions)

Those have got to be adorable little mini onions if there's 4 to a pound. Typical 3lb bags of onions 'round these here parts, has 4-5 onions in it, tops, and almost always over weigh.

But yeah, I just didn't know onions came so small. Thought those were basically shallots. I do go through several pounds of onions in a week, so maybe I just never looked around for smaller ones.

>> No.4816746

>>4816722
you clearly cannot control your mouth and your money, blame yourself, not fast food...

>> No.4816765

>>4816746

$100/week is easily obtainable if you eat out all the time. More of a lazy tax than anything.

>> No.4816808

>>4816741
>Those have got to be adorable little mini onions if there's 4 to a pound.
Yeah, they're just labeled "cooking onions," bigger than shallots but a third of the size of the larger onions they sell. More time consuming to peel the larger ones, per pound, but useful if you cook in small quantities.

>> No.4816822

>>4816467

I like you.

20 years I've been gathering kitchen tools. It never really ends. People seem to forget infrastructure costs when preaching about home cooking vs. anything else.

Also, a lot of people who don't know how to cook well, have little to no supplies, little to no income, likely also have real shit appliances... if any. My old oven was a bitch. But I found a sweet gem of an oven for half off at $500. Not many people wanna shill out that dough, so they can evenly cook dough.

>> No.4816823

Man, sure is butthurt in here. So OP doesn't want to eat shitty rice and beans all day, and is too lazy to cook - I'm not saying that's admirable, but let him do what he wants.

It depends where you're from, OP, and what you're thinking in terms of favorite menu items. I don't eat a ton of fast food, and I'm also west coast, so 2 of my favorite 3 places aren't available to east coasters.

#1 - In-N-Out. Double Double, animal style burger. Might get animal style fries to switch it up. Don't always do animal style as is.

#2 - Del Taco. 3 Chicken Soft tacos are $2.09 on Thursdays. Delicious stuff. Even then, the burritos and stuff are cheap and filling.

#3 - McDonalds. Yeah, everyone gives this place shit, but I love it. The meals are always overpriced, I tend to grab a McDouble or two and a McChicken.

>> No.4816825

>>4816723
>Yeah, but you don't necessarily have the money to purchase enough for five meals
In my 90 cent meal post (4816658), I included everything in normal store quantities, including 1.6 lbs of salt which would last half a year, and the total was $8 for eight meals with leftover ingredients. Granted not everyone has that kind of savings, but for someone like OP who's going out to eat a couple times a day, I'm pretty sure he would.

>> No.4816833

>>4816808

I could see that. Onions store best in their own skin for sure. I'm just an onionholic. I like 'em all ways and all kinds.

If I could find onions big enough, I would peel them in such a way that I could use the layers as bowls for onion soup, while I spooned it out with a dried onion I whittled into a spoon, using an onion knife... onion.

>> No.4816843

>>4816723
>you don't necessarily have the money to purchase enough for five meals
Do a little bit of planning and don't spend your entire paycheck within 24 hours of getting it.

>> No.4816858

>>4816658
I'm seeing lentils for around $.29/oz or 4.64/lbs.
brown rice for around .14/oz or 2.24/lb.
onions are a little more difficult here because I know a lot of places that sells them individually and not by weight.
carrots at 1.91/lbs

About the only price you're not about half of where you should be is canola oil and probably onions, and you've added an extra cup to how much a pound of brown rice makes.

>> No.4816948

>>4816173
>she
MIND THE IDIOT HERE YOUR SHAKING MY IQ

>> No.4816961

>>4816207

Even then the morningstar, cashews, and OJ are an unnecessary money sink that yields a far higher cost per meal. I could put that extra $10 into a couple pounds of chicken or lamb, some bread, some rice, AND a jar of peanut butter.

>> No.4816963

>>4816243

sure you would

>> No.4817005

>>4816858
Where do you live that lentils are so expensive?

>> No.4817065

>>4816858
You can definitely find lentils, rice and produce for much higher prices than I listed; I was going with the cheapest, non-organic varieties at my local store. Carrot, onion, and rice prices are straight off my last store receipt. Just typing "brown rice" into Google Shopping, the second page lists the type I get, Riceland Brown Rice, Natural Extra Long Grain, 32 ounces for $2, or $1 per pound. If you bought Lundberg heirloom rice, it's listed at $2 a pound, or their organic heirloom rice is $2.50 a pound. With lentils, I don't see the 1 pound bags of the type I get on Google, but they list a 20 pound bag for $22, which is more in line with my price ($1.30/lb) than yours ($4.64/lb).

I live in a 100k-population city in the midwestern US, which is big enough that grocers enjoy economies of scale, but the price of real estate and general cost of living keep food prices relatively modest, compared to smaller towns, big cities, and California.

I did mismeasure the cups of rice per pound...thought I was reading servings per 15 pound bag of rice, and it was actually a 10 pound bag.

>> No.4817083

Whataburger employee here

We really are the best fast food if it's in your area; I still love eating there even after working there.

>> No.4817124

>>4815831
stupidest thing ever. if you're on a tight budget, you shouldn't go for fast food. make your own food, it's cheaper,healthier and you get the size of portion you want.

>> No.4817131

>>4815831
The only reason anyone is hopeless at cooking is because they're not trying very hard.
Keep eating your fast food or actually try to learn to cook.

>> No.4817198
File: 79 KB, 1600x1064, DSC_0021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4815866
this as fuck, also, no ones hopeless at fast food, fuck just watch Gordon Ramsey cookery course, he may be a jerk on TV but he's pretty much the best there is afaik when it comes to distilling cooking into easy quick steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc
OP i applied this technique with fucking picture related,. its a shitty steak knife. I'm sure you have one too. It's just that fucking easy to pick this up. I mean mexican rice? get a rice cooker and a pan. dump a cup of dry rice into a medium heat pan and coat with enough of whatever oil you've got so you wet but don't soak the rice. fry it on that heat till golden brown and constantly stiring the rice around. afterwards dump it in your 35 dollar cheapo rice cooker, add a cup of water, enough chicken boillion to make that water into soup, dump in a half cup of salsa, and shake in some cumin, garlic powder, chillie pepper or cyanne if you've got any. and cilantro. put the lid on and set the thing and forget it. come back later to perfect easy Spanish rice. if you can measure water and rice, and can sit for 10 minutes stiring around rice in a pan, and then dump a bunch of stuff in a pot and press the on botton. you can make this. after it's done, top with anything you like, pico de gao, cheese, whatever, or break some ground beef or diced meat into a pan and roll the thing into a tortilla with some cheese once cooked. bam, you're done. its just that fucking easy.

>> No.4817210

>>4817198
true true, also gordon ramsay has a cool show for "homechef's". i just watched my first ever episode of it and it had some useful hints and awesome recipes. also he wasn't being a douche in it

>> No.4817219

>>4817198

Speaking of shit being easy to cook, these are the only things I have to cook in my kitchen:

A steak knife
A hunting knife
1 tiny skillet
1 tiny pot
an oven
a stove

That's it. Since I am poor as fuck I make do with what I have and I never let it get in my way of making delicious stuff like popcorn, pizza, and lasagna.

I have become the master of making bakeware out of aluminum foil. For stuff that requires heat transfer to cook well in the oven I just use my pots.

>> No.4818418

>>4816207
Which items gets you more calories per item?

>> No.4818423

>>4816533
>>4816521
*I* take it in the ass.

>> No.4819833

>>4818418
If that is the problem, just buy cooking oil.