[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.31 MB, 300x169, JyBud0i.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4803740 No.4803740[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hi /ck/,

I'm looking for advice on two things.

First, I need a new knife set. I have some J.A. Henckels International (Not the good Zwilling ones from Germany) ones, but I'm pretty sure they're just molded and are definitely from China.

I'm currently looking at some different brands:
Zwilling
Wusthof
Shun Haru
Global Sai
Money is *somewhat* of an obstacle, I'd prefer to get it for under around $600, but I'd say my upper bound is $1000.

The next thing I want your opinion on is pots and pans. I currently have some nice Calphalon non-stick ones, but as I progress further as a cook (I only do stuff at home, but I enjoy experimenting), that non-stick will only get me so far. So, I'm in the market for a copper-core stainless steel set. I know that they will be expensive also, and I would also like to keep the upper limit of about $1000. I know I won't be able to get a whole lot of pieces for that much, and I'm fine with that. I'd more like a good base set upon which to build my collection. I really don't have any brands I'm looking at right now for pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

>> No.4803745

>>4803740
My mistake, I guess Global is the brand, Sai is the line. That should just be Global.

>> No.4803783
File: 98 KB, 776x602, 1350029702177.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>$1000 for a knife set

what the fuck are you doing. you want me to vicariously shop for you? here let me help you, forget your plans and do exactly as I say. there is a difference between having god tier stuff and throwing money in the garbage. I'm assuming since you're this lazy you just want to throw money at this with your eyes closed so I'm going for products that will deliver performance that will satisfy even the most picky asshole.

$60 for a wooden magnetic knife bar
$190 for a Masamoto HC 240mm gyuto
$65 for a Mac Professional paring knife
$100 for a Mac SB-105 serrated bread knife
$70 for a CCK bone chopper
$239 for an Edge Pro Essentials set
$50 for a double sided hanging strop
$20 for some diamond spray
$40 for a coarse diamond plate (to flatten out the glass stones, since the 500 will dish after resetting the bevel on a few knives)

Pretty sure that should leave a couple of hundred bucks left over. You really want to waste more money, I guess get a nice Sujihiki or something, but you're better off spending the rest on alcohol.