[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 40 KB, 400x363, go-ahead-its-gluten-free.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4768669 No.4768669[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I have gluten, lactose and soy intolerance. Pretty unlucky bitch I am. Do you have any ideas of replacement? I use almond milk and rice milk instead of normal milk, but to eat, it's pretty much hard since almost everyhing has gluten and/or milk in it.

Life is hard.

>> No.4768686

>>4768669

I'm not sure how this is hard at all. Fruits, veggies, meat, poultry, legumes, nuts, rice, and seafood are all free of gluten, lactose, and soy. You can eat as much of those as you want.

For dairy replacements there's always almond milk or similar nut-based products. You can also buy lactose-free milk. Also look into cheeses, many cheeses have very low (or no) lactose.

As for gluten and soy, those only tend to be present in processed foods. So, don't eat any more TV dinners or other processed crap. Buy veggies, fruit, fish, meat, poultry, nuts, etc. Cook them. In fact, if you're "cooking from scratch" it's really easy to avoid those things.

>> No.4768688

>>4768669
Just order a pizza

>> No.4768728

>>4768686
pretty much this

Also check out chickpea and spelt flour as gluten free replacements for regular flour in some dishes.(note - chickpea flour does not taste anything like chickpeas)

>> No.4768870

OP, I have severe problems with dairy protein, among other things. Personally I wouldn't think in terms of "replacement," instead focus on different foods. You're not going to make a good substitute cheese or ice cream if that's what you're thinking. By the way, can't lactose be effectively removed from milk, or are even trace amounts a problem? I react to cassein, the protein in dairy, even in miniscule amounts.

You actually have a lot you can eat, with meats and vegetables and fruits and nuts and such, along with plenty of grains like oats. Not sure how long you've had the intolerances, or how severe they are, but if they're not the sort where one grain of wheat is severe, the limitations themselves aren't so bad.

One suggestion I'd make when making up dishes is that a couple tablespoons of tahini (middle eastern sesame butter - it's just gound sesame seeds) is an easy way to add a certain creaminess to sauces. It does have a sort of peanut buttery flavor to it, but in that quantity it's not pronounced.

>> No.4768907

>>4768686

This. Basically, you can't eat processed/packaged foods and meals. You muss learn to cook, and prepare everything you eat. Or go to hip restaurants.