[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 40 KB, 281x380, Real_Stew_by_Clifford_Wright.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4751811 No.4751811 [Reply] [Original]

So I am really looking forward to making a stew dish inspired by one that apparently is traditional in Senegal. What does /ck/ think of stews? Got any recipes you'd like to share?

>> No.4751820

Bump for stews.

>> No.4751919

Fucking love stew. Just made a pork (shoulder) stew of my own recipe for the second time, think I'm close to perfecting it.

>cut meat into roughly 1 inch cubes
>sear/brown all over. Didn't bother with cooking oil, plenty of fat in meat
>remove meat, saute lots of sliced onions and peppers (sweet and hot, used 2 de-seeded ghost peppers this time because I had them, probably a little too hot) in same pan.
>stir in about 1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, cloves and allspice when veg is well cooked
>deglaze pan. I used cognac.
>add meat back, can of plum tomatoes (used san marzano), water/stock to just barely cover everything if you need more liquid
>thicken slightly with ground pecans, maybe 1/4 cup
>throw in a small handful of prunes for a bit of sweetness
>salt to taste, slow simmer until meat is on the verge of falling apart, probably close to 2 hours
>throw in a few squares of dark (used 90% cocoa) chocolate and remove from heat, stir until color is consistent. Should be pretty damn dark by now.
>serve over/beside plain white rice. Maybe pasta, haven't tried yet.

Could post pictures when I reheat a portion tomorrow, if there's any interest.

>> No.4751948

>>4751919

Sounds rad. I'd like to try that over some rice, for sure. In fact, I've never had Stew over anything. Though I've certainly had some that are thick enough. I've just always eaten from a bowl, maybe with some buttered bread to mop up any juices.

>> No.4752213

Stews are prettyy much the second best thing after grilled meat. Gulasch, Chili con Carne, Guinnes Stew - what's not to love?

>> No.4752243

>>4752213
Amen. The stew I'm making tonight is a senegalese stew. It has tomatoes, beef, thyme, cayenne pepper, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, and peanut oil, with salt and pepper to taste.

>Cut the beef into 1" cubes
>Heat 1/4 cup peanut oil in pan
>cook onions till translucent on med-high heat
>add in beef, cook just until it changes color
>add tomato paste and water, thyme, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper
>Low heat, simmer an hour.
>Add root veggies, simmer another 2-2.5 hours.
>Take fresh homemade peanut butter
>Take 1 cup liquid
>Whisk in peanut butter
>Stir into stew
>Serve stew, over rice if you want.

>> No.4752770

No other recipes?

>> No.4752820

Newcastle beef stew (4 servings)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour seasoned with some salt and pepper
- 600-800 grams stewing beef (preferably shin)
- 2-3 tbsp Worchester sauce
- one bottle (about 500 ml) Newcastle Brown Ale
- about 150 grams Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Put a large pan on medium heat and add a generous splash olive oil.
Add the vegatables and the sugar, fry until the vegetables are lightly caramelised, about 5-10 minutes.
Transfer to a large casserole.
Toss the pieces of meat in the seasoned flour, then return the frying pan to the heat and add some olive oil. Fry the meat (in batches) in the frying pan until nicely browned all over, but not cooked through. Transfer to the casserole with the vegetables as you go along, and add the sliced mushrooms.
Pour the Worcester sauce into the pan with a good splash of Newcastle Ale, scrape up the juices and stir, add the rest of the ale and heat through. Pour this over the meat and vegetables in the casserole.
(If this isn't enough to cover the meat, add a little water as well.)
Now do one of the following options:
1)bring everything to the boil, turn down the heat, put on the lid and leave to simmer gently for about two - two and a half hours. Or
2)if you're using an ovenproof casserole, place it in the oven at 160 C (lid on) for two - two and a half hours.
Season to taste and serve with mashed potato and/or Yorkshire pudding...

Not my recepie but it is tasty.

>> No.4752827

I just bought myself a pressure cooker a few months ago and the stews I make with it are awesome.

I have enameled cast iron and slow cookers but pressure cooker is now the king.

I can make a single serve in the pressure cooker so I'm not eating the same thing for a week, it's simple one pot meal, only need to clean one pot, saves power because it's so fucking quick, it's fun, watching this contraption get to pressure and make all this noise and blast steam all over the place is pretty cool.
Wish I got one sooner.

>> No.4752829

This is pretty spicy but good.
Copied and pasted from here
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/13973/spicy-southern-man-stew-for-scarfies.aspx

Ingredients

Serves : 4

600g chuck, gravy or blade steak
1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes (in juice)
1 cup (250ml) beef stock (dissolve in hot water)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons chilli flakes
1 jalapeno (diced)
1 onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger (diced)
2 fresh garlic cloves (crushed)
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
2 parsnips (diced)
2 carrots (diced)
2 potatoes or kumara (diced)
Directions

Preparation:30min › Cook:7hours › Ready in:7hours30min

Before you start, turn the slow cooker on low.
Heat the olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and brown the beef. Once browned, remove and season with salt and pepper reserving juices. Add the ginger, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir until soft. Add curry powder, tomatoes, chilli flakes and beef stock. Stir slowly for 1 minute.
Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer with the beef. Scoop the frypan mixture into the slow cooker over the beef. Place the diced parsnips, carrots and potatoes (or kumara) over the meat.
Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.

>> No.4752856

bu,

>> No.4752871

...people use a recipe for stews?

>> No.4752880

>>4752871
Wow, you are such a great chef that you never use a recipe for anything. Great job

>> No.4752881

>>4752880
Yes, that is precisely what I said.

>> No.4753756

>>4752871
For regional ones. For example many Indian dishes are technically stews.

>> No.4755050

Bump for stews!

>> No.4755061

>>4751811
using gravy instead of water would just be madness

>> No.4755979
File: 44 KB, 520x347, burgoo-a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mandatory mention of Kentucky burgoo. Here's a passable version from Emeril made with beef, lamb, and chicken, but really any meat you can hunt or farm can be used, along with any vegetables you might have in your garden.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/kentucky-burgoo-recipe/index.html

>> No.4756478

>>4755979
Stews are amazing like that...anything you have can turn into an amazing amount of bloody delicious food.

>> No.4757924

Anyone want to share a stew story? I've found they're fucking amazing money savers because I love to buy up a shitload of cheap meat and root veggies and make tasty meals out of them that are just as tender and delicious as the more expensive stuff.

>> No.4759171

Making an african stew involving the hreesa spice tonight. Yum!

>> No.4759189
File: 262 KB, 345x476, cat-in-the-hat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4751811
Stews are for Jews.